Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Default Quesadillas

Anybody know any good Quesadillas recipes?? Some that are low cal and yummy Theres going to be a cookout and I know mainly mexican food, but maybe if I can make some low-cal things it wont be so bad!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #2  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I make quesadillas quite often actually. When you make them yourself it is SO much easier to keep track of the calories.

I make steak and cheese quesadilla's, sometimes just plain cheese. That's my favorite quick supper fix

I have found an offbrand, frozen, Philly Cheesesteak style, 4-pack of steaks at Wal-Mart. Anyway, they are 280 calories per steak. I use half of the steak per quesadilla.

I sprinkle a type of fiesta blend cheese (80 cals per serving) lightly on a tortilla(100 calories) and set it to the side.

I cook the steak in the pan, then drain most of the grease. For seasoning, if you want it to taste Tex-Mex add a dash of chili pepper to the steak while you cook it. I usually season mine with Tony's and salt and pepper. If you want to sautee any onions or bell peppers, do so now in the remaining steak grease lol.

I put half of the steak in the tortilla on top of the cheese, fold it over. Then I grill it in the pan like a grilled cheese sandwich. Or if you don't want that extra grease just pop it in the microwave till the cheese melts. (Just make sure you sprinkled a little water on the tortilla before hand or it will dry out in the microwave)

So that's about 320 calories for a pretty delicious and filling quesadilla. If you are a Salsa person, you could put some Salsa in it for about 35 extra cals.

I don't like sauces on mine, but I make one for my BF out of Salsa, Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup, and White Queso dip (Sounds nasty but it's actually good, just to fatty for my tastes)

Last edited by sockmonkey70; 06-01-2007 at 08:53 PM.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

add lots of vegetables to make it even healthier - peppers and onions are classic quesedilla veggies but they're also good with mushrooms, black olives and shredded carrot. I sprinkle taco seasoning in mine or sometimes put salsa inside. Fat free sourcream is also a yummy add on!

Also be sure to use smaller sized whole grain tortillas, the regular large white ones have tons of empty calories.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Thank Yall!!! I was leaning more towards chicken ones. Do I just make a regular chicken breast, or do I buy something else? I got some salsa at the store on sale for $1 so I know that will be involved.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #5  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisher View Post
add lots of vegetables to make it even healthier - peppers and onions are classic quesedilla veggies but they're also good with mushrooms, black olives and shredded carrot. I sprinkle taco seasoning in mine or sometimes put salsa inside. Fat free sourcream is also a yummy add on!

Also be sure to use smaller sized whole grain tortillas, the regular large white ones have tons of empty calories.
Definately mushrooms and olives. I like your thinking

I am trying to get the BF talked into eating the whole grain tortilla's, but for now I am stuck with white
I will probably just end up getting seperate tortilla's.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #6  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

sometimes I make mine without meat, other times I use chicken or beef. You can use any kind of chicken, but white meat (like the breasts) is lower in fat and calories. You buy whole breasts and slice them up yourself or you can often find the presliced breast strips in the store too. If I buy the whole breasts I usually cook them before slicing it and I'll slice loosely with a serrated knife, this sort of shreds the chicken instead of neat chunks and I like it that way better.

You can put the salsa right in it when you cook but that makes it a little sloppier to eat, you can also put it on top after it's cooked. Often when I make chicken quesadillas I'll use Franks Red Hot sauce or some other buffalo sauce instead of salsa. Yum!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote