Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/137/129ish

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Losing inches, not pounds

Hi- this is my first post here. I hope I am in the right forum.

I actively started trying to lose weight since the last week in March. I might slip-up a little on the calories, but I exercise a TON (it seems). I run about 15-20 miles/week, go on a 20-30 mile bike ride 1x/week, stretch and do yoga.

Since March I have lost 12 pounds, but approx. 30 inches. How is this even possible??!?

I am getting happier with the way I look, but would love to see the scale go down as well. I eat well (vegetarian- LOTS of fruits, veggies and water), but I eat out 2-3x/week and maybe that is where my trouble is? I track calories and go anywhere between 1500-1800. I know 1800 is high, but I thought I was burning quite a bit as well.

Any advise/insight would be great!

Thanks!
StellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

It sounds like you may be losing some fat, but gaining muscle instead. Muscle is more compact than fat, so at the same weight it takes up less space (and you lose inches). That's great! Losing fat (not pounds) is what you should care about! Maybe you should get one of those body fat measuring scales or a pair of fat calipers so you can monitor your fat loss rather than dwelling on the scale?

1500-1800 calories may be entirely reasonable for you. I am at a similar weight (146) and my diet level is 1800 calories. I lose weight at a steady rate (around 1 lb a week) at this level because I'm also fairly active. However, if you are anxious to see the scale start dropping, you're going to have to lower calories. Try aiming for the low end of your range (1500) for a while. And congratulations on the 12 lbs and 30 inches!
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

After fat cells empty, they fill up with water. The water is there and weighs quite a bit but isn't as "chunky" as fat so you can show an inch loss without a scale loss.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

StellaBella,

Being better toned from exercise will naturally reduce inches! And a 12 pounds weight loss is nothing to sneeze at.

The number of calories you burn in a day depends on your age as well as your activity level. There are plenty of metabolism calculators on the Web--but beware! Many of them give screwy numbers. FitDay has a module that allows you do figure your resting metabolism, I believe.

Eating out may indeed be the reason you aren't losing faster--or it could be that your calorie counting is off (too low). It's hard for vegetarians to get enough protein without also getting too much carbohydrate, so you might want to check that as well.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #5  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Stella I had this huge epiphany yesterday -- to back up a bit. Last year I lost 30 pounds -- this year I have worked to shed 8 pounds. Over the last month I have upped my workouts and watched my calories I was sure that I would have lost quite a bit (at least 5 pounds) when I stepped on the scale I was down 2.5 pounds which is a loss but not what I expected. Now I can't remember the exact inches but I was down many and people are finally noticing my weight loss.

My realization was I don't care about the pounds its the inches. People see the inches no one knows what the scale says except us. So enjoy the inches loss -- the pounds will follow. Being fit and happy is most important and it sounds like you are on a fabulous road to fitness.
Jayjay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

You're sooo on the right track! Inches lost matter MUCH more than pounds lost. I bet you must look quite toned up already, and have lost 1 or 2 sized of clothing. And in the end, I think this matter more than pounds.

Last edited by Kery; 05-31-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

WTG on the inches!!! Wow, i have lost 34 inches with my 33 lbs so i think you have done very well to lose so many inches!! I know its hard not to get focused on the scales, im sure you will start dropping pounds soon.
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:21 PM   #8  

Those of you with double-digit inches losses-- Where are you measuring? I get it that this isn't just what's come off ones waist, but where else is included?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey MariaMaria,

Typically one measures upper arm, bust or chest, waist, hips, and upper thigh. Some include both arms and thighs, I think, in the total--but not sure. I used to get measured at Curves, but I don't go there now, and I'm not as interested in those measurements anyway.

StellaBella and others--what are you including?

Jay
Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 157/137/129ish

Height: 5'3.5"

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I must be measuring too much-- I didn't even think of that!

I measure:

Bust
Upper Arms (x2)
Waist
Stomach
Hips
Upper Thighs (x2)
Calves (x2)

I guess that is a good way to lose inches- just measure everything.

D'oh!
StellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:02 PM   #11  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Tee hee - frankly, 30 inches is impressive no matter where you're measuring! And if it makes you feel like you're getting somewhere and keeps you motivated, I'm all for it.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Oh yes--once you start measuring, you should keep going with the way you started. It's the difference that matters. Just like on the scale.

Jay
Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I agree...the more places your measure, the more motivated you'll be when you add up all the inches. I measure my arms x2, i measure my bust, my upper belly, my waist, my lower belly, my hips and my thighs x2. I don't measure my calves because i have never really had big calves anyways...or at least i don't think so. i've actually considered measuring my neck, but decided against it. lol.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #14  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

LOOOOOOL LUMIFAN!!!!!

I MEASURED my neck the other day!!! lol and found it its the same size as my upper arm!!! lolll.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
After fat cells empty, they fill up with water. The water is there and weighs quite a bit but isn't as "chunky" as fat so you can show an inch loss without a scale loss.

So what if you lost 4.5 pounds but inches went up everywhere except hips? Does that even make sense? Are my fat cells filled with water?
I_m_hungry is offline   Reply With Quote