Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Addiction.... to Food??

I used to not believe that people could have food addictions, but more & more science is proving the fact that addictions come in all shapes, sizes, & manners.

Here is an interesting article from Prevention magazine:
http://www.prevention.com/article/0,...20to%20Food%3f

"...recently, high-tech medical scans have revealed surprising similarities in the brain chemistry of drug addicts and chronic overeaters--resemblances that have caught the attention of the National Institute on Drug Abuse..."

I now officially believe in "food addictions" - and that will power often has nothing to do with being overweight.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I too believe that I was/am addicted to food. It is without a doubt my "drug" of choice.

BUT, just because I am addicted to food doesn't mean that I can't control it or overcome abusing it. Just because I have cravings doesn't mean I have to give into them. It's not easy that's for sure and it WILL be a lifelong battle, but it is possible to beat addictions. So I do think willpower has a lot to do with it.

I've always, always said "Why, oh why couldn't I be "addicted" to something other then food?" Then at least you can go cold turkey (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes) and totally elminate it from your life. Food is ALWAYS going to be a part of our lives, all day long, day in, day out. And something I will always have to deal with.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #3  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I"m addicted to baked sweet potato wedges and baked potatoes with fat free yogurt on top.....MMMMMMM!

I definitly believe people get addicted...especially when it comes to fast food.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #4  

Height: 5.5

I`m not adicted to food, i`m adicted to the sensation of eating, i love to be eating, feel full and with a sensation of being on calm
punchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm not addicted to food, but i do believe every celebration should revolve around food. Not good, i know. I have an addictive personality, but i get addicted to people. almost as bad as food if you ask me. :-(
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I've always, always said "Why, oh why couldn't I be "addicted" to something other then food?" Then at least you can go cold turkey (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes) and totally elminate it from your life. Food is ALWAYS going to be a part of our lives, all day long, day in, day out. And something I will always have to deal with.
This is what I've always thought - other addictions - one CAN quit. One does not HAVE to take drugs, drink, gamble, shop all the bargain sales, etc. But one DOES have to eat! And giving up your favorite food is sometimes next to impossible for some people... but I also believe in "addictive personalities." Some people will be addicted to SOMETHING. If they get over one addiction, they'll pick up another, because it's in their personality.

My goodness.... there is so much out there to get addicted to these days! Not all addictions are necessarily bad... but like anything, "all things in moderation" applies. Like exercising, for instance. There are plenty of people who are addicted to exercise & they actually exercise too much. What about those "workaholics"? They work themselves into a frenzy. Some get addicted to TV and/or video games. Some get addicted to sports (I categorize my husband in that one!) etc.

But unlike anything else in the world - WE NEED FOOD TO SURVIVE. So being "addicted" to it can certainly be a hard, if not impossible, habit to break.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote