General chatter - Any serious Harry Potter fans here?

aphil
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Just thought I would ask...especially since the Order Of The Phoenix film, and the highly anticipated last book are both on their way this summer.

If there are any of you out there, I would love to discuss. :D

zenor77
05-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I can't wait until the book comes out (movie too.) I'm still upset over the last book and I really want to know how this is going to wrap up.

bdandy3
05-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Me! Me!

DD, DH & I are all looking forward to July with great anticipation! :D

improbable
05-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Haha... I've been bugging my poor israeli boyfriend for weeks to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that I can get the last book ON THE DAY IT COMES OUT in ENGLISH while I'm in Israel this summer... He doesn't understand just how serious this is. Silly boy.

NotTheCheat
05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
I am definitely a fan! I can't wait for both.

One thing that surprised me was the casting of Delores Umbridge. She wasn't at all what I pictured. Has anyone seen Dead Like Me? I would have cast Crystal in that role.

catsnhorses
05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
I already paid for my copy of The Deathly Hallows at the local book store. Does that make me a serious fan? I was very upset when Dumbledore died. I am a big fan of happy endings so I hope all the folks who say it will have a dark twist in the tale and Voldemort will prevail are wrong.

The kids are mad b/c I insist on reading it first! Then it goes in order of age. We did this in 2005 when no. 6 came out. We were in England and on the way back half the folks who were reading books on the plane were reading HP.

DD8 is playing catch up by reading all the previous books in the meantime. (Yes, we have them all.) The rest of us are thinking of re-reading them to refresh our memories before we get our hands on no. 7

I;m not as keen on the movies (i never am) but the kids love them!

DH doesn't get it but we let him off anyways. :dizzy: I like having this interest in common with my kids. We're not always interested in the same things but when we are it's so much more fun.

KiDaisy
05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I think I am going to re-read as well... I think this last book is going to tie up a lot and I don't want to forget any of the little pieces...
I am just afraid Harry is one of the ones who dies this time round...

mandalinn82
05-30-2007, 11:47 AM
My sister scheduled her wedding for the day the book comes out. I am already plotting how I can shirk my MOH duties and hide the book in the bathroom or something so I can read it. I also suggested to her that she give her guests the option to pre-order the book through Amazon and have it delivered that morning to my Mom's house, and offered to deliver them to her preferred hotel. I may have to suffer without being able to start it, but EVERYONE shouldn't have to.

The past three books have been consumed in 16 hour straight reading sessions, immediately after receiving them. No book has taken me more than a day to complete because I just can't put them down.

I lay my prediction here - Harry is probably going to die.

aphil
05-30-2007, 11:49 AM
For all of those who have read the books up to 6 thus far, and are anxiously awaiting book 7, I have a rather large theory on book 7. Anyone interested in hearing it, and discussing it? :)

I think they did a great job with the casting for Dolores Umbridge. Did anyone see the extended clip that showed on Ellen recently-where she did the speech in the Great Hall, in the book where she interrupted Dumbledore's opening feast speech? I got CHILLS. :o I also loved how they even stuck with some of her costuming, like the little pink cardigan, etc. :)

I have re-read all of the novels an additional time, in anticipation for the last novel-and I am hoping that my suspicions are correct. (I think they are...but we shall see. :D )

mandalinn82
05-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Aphil - PM me your theory! Does it involve Pettigrew? Because there are at least 2 references I've found to him being important....

rockinrobin
05-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I started book number 1 several times, but just couldn't get into it. Not my kind of book. :(

But my three teenaged daughters - Oh my goodness. They are HUGE fans. They've read each one dozens of times each.

And since it's coming out in the middle of the summer and 2 of them will be at sleep away camp (different camps of course) and one remaining home - yup, we've preordered THREE copies of the book.

alinnell
05-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm with Robin--I just couldn't get into the book. Love the movies though! Both my kids have read all the books. DD will be in China when the newest book comes out, so she'll have to wait until she gets home to get it and read it. I assume DS will read it after her (he isn't as voracious a reader as she is).

BlueToBlue
05-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm a huge fan; they are some of my favorite books. Like you Mandalinn, I read them all in one sitting because I just couldn't put them down. I've read most of the book several times and am currently re-reading the entire series in preparation for the last book in July.

I like the movies too, but they can never compare the books.

catsnhorses - My theory is that Dumbledore is going to come back in some form or other. He is closely associated with the phoenix, which rises again after dying, and his coffin burst into flames at his funeral.

I think that Voldemorte will be destroyed (these are supposed to be children's books, after all) and I think Snape is going to turn out to be a good guy (Snape is my favorite character), but I think you are right, Mandalinn, that Harry is going to die. Early on, Dumbledore says something to Harry about death being the next adventure.

What I really want if for Harry to survive and for there to be an 8th book with no Voldemort, just Harry, Ron, and Hermione doing magic and having fun.

sirak
05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
The Ellen clip is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_39vyjl3-c). She is something else.
My parents have agreed to watch my toddler when the movie come out so I can take DS13. I read a couple of the books to him when he was younger. It takes a while- but worth it.
I am thinking I will get it off of Amazon as the last time I had to ride all the way into town and hunt one down when it came out.

midwife
05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
I would love to hear your theory, too, Aphil.

I love the books and the movies. Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite for both!

I agree that Snape is a good guy. I suspect he will lay his life down to save Harry's in some way.

I also wonder about Longbottom. There are many parallels between his life and Harry's and some of the predictions for Harry could line up well for Longbottom too. I would have to go reread to pull out specific examples, but I do recall having several "HMMMMMMM" moments. I think he will be more significant than one would expect.

NotTheCheat
05-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Aphil Ė I totally agree that after seeing the clips that they did a great job with Delores Ė she just wasnít what I pictured. I guess I got too caught up in the toad aspect of her appearance.

So does anyone have an idea of who R.A.B is? I have been meaning to go back and read the books to try and figure it out, but havenít gotten to it yet.

aphil
05-30-2007, 12:57 PM
My theories: (warning, this is LONG. :D)

The main thing that everyone is waiting for, is to see what side Snape is really on in his double agent workings. I personally think he is a good guy, and here is why. I am going to start with this first post on the way that Rowling writes these novels:

~Everything in the series is named, written, and put in a certain way, because Jo (Rowling) is an absolute genius.

* (For instance, Harry's mother was named Lily, the exotic and pristine white flower, while her sister was named Petunia, a plain jane flower that anyone can buy at a local Wal-Mart.)

*Remus Lupin's name alone gives him away of what he actually is, and Snape was trying to let the students know this, and to educate them on how to protect themselves by assigning them the werewolf chapter on the day he substituted when Lupin was "ill".

*Cedric Diggory's name basically means fallen hero.

*She often uses plays on words, such as "Diagon Alley" and "Nocturn Alley".

*Veritaserum means literally, truth serum, as veritas is the latin word for truth.

*Beauxbatons is French, and it translates to "beautiful sticks/beautiful wands".

*Expecto Patronum (the spell to produce a patronus) means literally "to desire/expect a protector".

*Crucio (Cruciatus Curse) means "to torture".

*The Hog's Head (the pub/bar): a hogshead is an old term for a large barrel of ale.

These are just a few examples of the way Rowling plans everything. Every word is there for a reason. :)
Throughout the entire series of books, there are clues to basically EVERYTHING if you read between the lines and study what she is telling you in them.

In my next post, I will go over part of my theory:

aphil
05-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Theory Part 1: Snape doesn't hate Harry's parents

It has never been said, ever, that Snape hates Harry's parents. It has been said that he hated JAMES. I think that Lily might have been at one time, Snape's only friend at Hogwarts.

~Clue #1: Slughorn talks of how Lily was his best potions student.
~Clue #2: Hermione notices that some of the writing in the Half Blood Prince's potions book looks like "girl's writing".
~In the scene with the pensieve, Lily sticks up for Severus when James and Sirius are taunting him.

To me, this speaks volumes. I would venture to guess that Lily and Snape might have studied potions together, sat together in class, or basically had some sort of a connection with potions. I don't think that the title "Snape's Worst Memory" was because his underwear got shown to the entire school. I think that he was embarassed by Sirius and James, a "girl" stuck up for him in front of them which embarassed him further, and it was his worst memory because he called Lily "Mudblood" in front of everyone. He hurt his only friend.

When Snape spied on Dumbledore and Trelawney, and heard the first part of the prophecy and reported it, he did not know that it would cause Voldemort to go after the Potters. After he found this out, and realized that he played a part in the death of the only person who ever showed him kindness, that was what made him leave the Death Eaters and join the Order. His remorse was true.

aphil
05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Theory #2: The story is told through Harry and his perception.

The thing that struck me the most about the series, is that it is all, except for the chapter "Spinner's End", is told through the eyes of Harry.

Harry is a hot headed, often misinformed, teenager. Rowling creates a pattern in the books...she often shows Harry in the following way:

~Harry often acts, and thinks later.
~Harry often goes through most of the book acting on information that is actually false, creating more trouble for himself and those around him.
~Harry refuses to listen to those who are older, and more wise than he.

I think that this is one of the most important things to see. Harry sees it the way Harry sees it, whether it is true or not. Some common examples of this:

~Harry goes through the entire first book/movie blaming Snape for trying to steal the Sorcerer's Stone-even though Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Hagrid all tell him that Snape is trying to PROTECT it instead. He refuses to see what is right in front of him, because of his inherited prejudice against Snape.

~He goes through Prisoner Of Azkaban believing that Sirius killed his parents, which was also untrue.

~He goes through Goblet Of Fire thinking that the fake Mad Eye Moody is the real thing..even though Dumbledore knows something is wrong and is trying to figure out just what that is, and Barty Crouch Sr. recognized his son in the disguise, and therefore ended up dead.

~Harry doesn't listen to Hermione, or to McGonagall, when they tell him to shut up/behave and watch himself/control himself around Dolores Umbridge. It is his own fault that he has to use the cutting quill in detention.

These are just a few examples, but it is creating a pattern. We are seeing the story through eyes that are often misinformed. The real clues are actually there to all of the truths, but Harry doesn't realize it because he gets his mind set in a certain way.

The moral of the story is, Harry's perception of the actual events cannot be trusted. :)

aphil
05-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Theory Part #3: A dissection of Spinner's End

This is the only part where the story is not told from Harry's point of view. It is told as if we were a fly on the wall in Severus Snape's home. It meant magnitudes to me:

Basically, this chapter said to me that Snape was indeed working for the Order.

Voldemort is cruel. If you meant nothing to him, he would kill you off quickly, but I think if you decieved him over years and years, that he would want to make you pay. This is what this chapter is about. Voldemort is onto him, and no longer trusts him. Severus knows this.

~The first clue is the fact that he sends Wormtail to live with him.

~The second clue, is that he now knows that Severus's remorse over the death of Lily is true...what better way to tempt him and hurt him than to present him with an impossible situation? He presents him with a crying mother, concerned for her child. Draco is upset with his father's imprisonment, and is eager to avenge his father. He stupidly agrees to the task that Voldemort sets up for him-kill Dumbledore. If he fails, then of course Voldemort will kill not only him, but his family.

Voldemort is exploiting a child in this scene. He is paying back not only Lucius for his carelesness and other actions, but getting Severus at the same time for his deception.

Severus has no choice. He, as the chapters name tells, is now the fly caught in the web-when for years he has been the spider spinning it. Bellatrix laughs at him, because she knows he is in a corner. No choice now is the right one-he either sentences Draco and his family to death...or chooses death himself.

Severus will be in pain no matter what he decides to do...but he decides to choose to potentially save a young man and his mother. (I personally believe that Narcissa is good hearted, she just grew up around Death Eaters and other bad characters.)

aphil
05-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Part #4: IS Snape really unfair and mean to Harry?

I don't think so. Remember, we are seeing this through the eyes of a teenager.

In my perception, I feel that Dumbledore, Hagrid, and McGonagall are often "soft" with Harry because of his situation and destiny, but I think Severus is hard with him, simply because Harry NEEDS that.

Harry has the tendency to spin things in his own way...in the first scene where they meet in class, I don't think that Snape was being too hard on Harry. I think he was basically letting him know that he wasn't going to go easy on him because of his "celebrity" status. He expected him to study, try, and adhere to the rules.

Throughout the books, Harry is often caught out after hours, lying, cheating, not studying, and so on and so forth...and Snape calls him out on it. Harry needs SOMEONE to hold him up to the standards that everyone else is held up to, and not treat him as "special".

If you could stand in Severus's shoes for a moment and assume that he is indeed, working for the order-could you imagine how frustrating it would be to be risking your life every single day being a double agent with Voldemort, and the kid you are trying to prepare for his destiny and that the entire Order are risking their lives for, isn't trying to be the best he can be?

This is where Severus gets upset and angry with Harry...instead of inheriting his mother's aptitude for potions, gentle demeanor, etc. he inherits the traits of his father-the recklessness, rule breaking, doing whatever he sees fit traits.

Think about it. Severus was absolutely brilliant when he came to Hogwarts. He knew more in his first year than many in their seventh. But, James and (Sirius and Lupin) were cool, good at Quidditch, got the girls, got prefect and head boy, were popular, etc.

I think at some point we have all felt this way-have you ever worked really hard for something, and it got handed to someone else who didn't even try, or deserve it? That is how Severus felt about James and Sirius. He sees these traits in Harry.

The final straw was the Occlumency lessons-Dumbledore told him that Severus was the best, and was to teach him-but Harry wanted no part of it. I honestly think that if the teacher would have been anyone else, that Harry would have tried, but because it was Snape, he didn't. Therefore, indirectly, it was Harry's fault that Sirius died. If he had learned to properly block out his mind, then he wouldn't have fell for the trap, and Sirius would have lived.

Not only did he not try, he tried to open his mind further to the dreams (because he assumed he knew better then Severus, Dumbledore, and everyone else) which was the exact opposite that he was instructed to do. He thought what Draco was up to was more important than the task he was set out to learn-even though Dumbledore told him that he knew already what Draco was up to.

I was very taken aback when Harry told Dumbledore "Snape stopped giving me Occlumency lessons". He conveniently left out WHY he did...because he wasn't trying, and because Harry pried into his secret memories.

So, in my opinion, Snape was FIRM with Harry...because someone had to be. Harry saw it as unfair, and therefore never took him seriously-even though he had much to learn from him about Potions, Dark Arts, and most importantly, blocking his mind. He refused to learn from this brilliant wizard because simply, he was being immature.

zenor77
05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Hmmm... interesting Aphil. I'm going to mull that over a bit.

I wonder how she will end it so that the story can't continue? She has repeatedly said this is the last book and she doesn't want someone else trying to carry on. DH thinks all three of them will be killed off so that there is no possibility of resurrecting it.

aphil
05-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Part #5: There are clues in the writing

~In the cave, when Harry is with Dumbledore trying to go after the Horcrux, Dumbledore reminds him repeatedly of their agreement. Dumbledore made Harry agree that he will do as he commands, even if it means sacrificing him to save himself. When Dumbledore tells Harry to force him to drink the potion, knowing it could kill him, Harry is feels "hatred and revulsion" at what Dumbledore is making him do.

~In the tower, when Severus hesitates. When Dumbledore says "Severus...please..." and there is a moment where they look at each other (they were both skilled in Occlumency and Legilimency-or 2 way mind reading) and then Severus's face shows "hatred and revulsion" towards Dumbledore.

We are seeing this through Harry's eyes...and he is seeing the hatred/revulsion directed TOWARDS Dumbledore. Is it possible that he is feeling the same way that Harry did just a few hours before?

Remember Hagrid overhearing Dumbledore and Snape in the forest. Snape is telling Dumbledore that he doesn't want to do it anymore...and Dumbledore reminds him that they made an agreement.

There are also other clues in the novels...Dumbledore tells Harry that he values his (Harry's) life over his own. Don't you think that Dumbledore would sacrifice his own life willingly, in order to save Harry (the person destined to destroy Voldemort), Severus (his loyal friend and spy for the Order), and Draco (saving him from becoming a murderer-when it is obvious that he doesn't want to-AND from becoming a Death Eater himself.). If he were willing to sacrifice himself for one life, wouldn't be be willing to sacrifice it for at least 3 lives?

aphil
05-30-2007, 01:56 PM
More things to ponder:

~After Snape kills Dumbledore, he gets Draco and tries to get him out of there. When Harry catches up with him, he tries to perform an Unforgivable Curse on Snape-Snape doesn't just block him, but tells him in a teacher like tone, "No Unforgivable Curses...".

~In those last moments, he tries to tell Harry one last time that in his current state, that he doesn't stand a chance against Voldemort-telling him "Blocked again, and again, and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed!" He is STILL trying to teach Harry.

~The one thing that makes Snape finally lose it, is when Harry calls him "Coward".

Harry call him this twice, but in two different contexts. The first time he says something to the effect of "fight back, coward!" when Harry keeps trying to jinx him, and all Snape will do is block him-not attack back. But on the second time, Harry says "kill me like you killed HIM, you coward!"

This would only make sense if indeed, Snape were good. It would be the ultimate insult to someone who has spent the last 15 years being a dangerous double agent against Voldemort, and someone who just had to kill the only father figure/mentor that they ever had...someone who just gave up their job, their home, and their life as they knew it-all to protect a kid who wasn't even trying to learn what he needed to learn to defeat the enemy. Not only does Voldemort no longer trust Snape, but now the Order doesn't either, and he is now a fugitive on the run for performing an Unforgivable Curse on the headmaster at Hogwarts.

Harry's comment was the final straw...and Snape lost it.

aphil
05-30-2007, 02:02 PM
My prediction for book 7:

~Snape is a good guy, and will prove it in the end. I fully believe that he will die in book 7, as he has been set up in the series to end it with a final act of redemption for his original role in the death of the Potters.

~Harry will finally realize that he was wrong about him the entire time, as usual.

~Harry will finally see, through memories, Dumbledore's headmaster painting, or newly learned Occlumency, that Severus is indeed true to Dumbledore. It will have to be something more than just Snapes word, though.
Another possibility is that Harry could figure this out by Severus being forced to produce a patronus in the book at some point. This is because of an interview where Rowling was asked what Snape's patronus was...(how Harry's is a stag because of his father, Tonk's changed to a 4 legged animal which I took to represent Lupin, etc.) and she stated that she couldn't tell yet, because it would reveal too much-and we would know why after book 7.

I believe that Snape's patronus will either be a phoenix, or a lily-given that a patronus is fueled by a person's happiest memory. It would have to be a memory with one of the only two friends Snape has really ever known.

aphil
05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
NotTheCheat-I have a feeling that R.A.B. is Regulus Black, a former death eater and Sirius's brother, who was killed after he deceived Voldemort somehow...and I think the REAL neclace is still in Grimmauld Place.

Something else I wanted to make note of, is when they are in St. Mungo's to visit Mr. Weasley, there are the different signs all over telling what is where on which floor/hall of the hospital. Why did Rowling write these all out in such depth? On one sign, if you look only at the first word of each hospital section, it spells out "Creature Dangerous Die Serious" which was a warning-"KREATCHER dangerous, die SIRIUS".

How am I doing so far? :lol:

I am REALLY proving my geekdome, aren't I?

:rofl:

Another thing that I have pondered over, is the fact that Dumbledore said he had an "ironclad reason" to trust Severus. In the scene where Draco is trying to get the nerve to kill Dumbledore, he mentions to Draco that he could hide him and his entire family from Voldemort. Did he maybe do this same thing years ago, when Severus left the Death Eaters to join the order? Has anyone noticed that Severus's house was described in Spinner's End to be like a library? Is it also a coincidence that the Hogwarts librarian is named Irma Pince...which is an anagram of "I'm A Prince". Could this be Dumbledore's ironclad reason for trusting Severus, because he has hidden away his mother?

I also believe that Neville Longbottom will avenge his parents, especially since Rowling has shown his aptitude towards Herbology, and his vast improvement in Defense Against The Dark Arts, and his willingness to face Death Eaters in Order Of The Phoenix. I think that maybe he will be the one to end Bellatrix Lestrange...

melekalikimaka
05-30-2007, 02:50 PM
I thought I was a huge fan, but after reading Aphil's theories.... I'm not even close! :lol: I have to print those out and re-read them with my sister who is seriously affected by HP. My addiction to HP extends to having 5 different sets of books: all the hardbacks, several dog-eared sets of paperbacks with volumes 1-3, 1-4 and 1-5 and a volume of 1-5 still wrapped in plastic high on a shelf that no one can touch. Plus a book called The Science of Harry Potter (how magic really works). I have the VHS tapes and the DVD's plus any pirates that I may have gotten overseas before the US release dates. I don't prepay to reserve my books or go to launch parties, but I am the first in line at Sam's Club at 7 a.m. on release date.

My other sister works for a newspaper here and they usually have pre-screenings. I'm anxiously awaiting word on if she is able to snag a few tickets.

OK, so nothing cerebral to add like Aphil, but just had to say I have a thing for Snape :love: :lol:

aphil
05-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Oh...I also have a thing for Snape. :devil: :love: :o :devil:

There are some naughtier smilies I could use, but being a mod, well, I can't. :devil:

:rofl:

I have often been told that I tend to like men that have a bad boy AND a feminine side, so Alan Rickman/Snape, Prince, Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Steven Tyler, and some of the other men I lust after certainly fit that bill to a T. ;) I also love me some dark hair/eyes as well...and they all fit. :devil:

I think Rowling really likes to use lots of "easter eggs" in her books, the little hidden treats/signs/clues all through...another one off the top of my head is the name Sirius Black. Sirius is the dogstar constellation, so she is basically saying he is the "black dog", letting you know ahead of time that Sirius is the black dog following Harry around-if you pick up on the clue.

I really, really think that Snape will redeem himself, and Harry will see him for who he truly is for the first time in the last book. Gosh I sure hope so...

As far as the new film goes-I am absolutely thrilled to see the "Snapes Worst Memory" sequence play out on the screen, with the younger actors depicting Snape, James, Sirius, Lupin, and Lily.

Mylifeinthemovie
05-30-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm so excited for the book and movie! I already have the book on reserve and now I'm waiting for tickets to go on sale :)

harrypotterybarn
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Aphil, I just want to say that you are sooooo freakin' awesome!!!

Now to ponder your theories while I knit my new Hogwarts uniform vest. Perhaps I shall respond later.

Oh, and add me to the Snape-lust pile!

aphil
05-30-2007, 04:13 PM
harrypotterybarn-I wasn't sure if you were aware, but I am a belly dancer and a costume maker by profession...and obviously a nerd as well. :rofl:

DH and I are in the 501st (Star Wars worldwide costuming charity org) and I do lots of movie replica costumes. My next costumes for myself, are going to be a Slytherin school uniform, AND I am awaiting the movie, because I would like to see if I can replicate the makeup/hair/costume of young Lily, Harry's red haired/green eyed mother from the Snape's Worst Memory scene.

(Although her eyes might be blue in the film due to who they casted as Harry.)

Also-one of my "worlds collide" moments was a few years ago, when I belly danced for Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick from the Harry Potter films) at the Star Wars C3 convention. It was wonderful-my love for Star Wars, Harry Potter, belly dancing, and costuming all in one awesome moment. :D

I have lots and lots of theories and things that I have noticed through the books, along with HP discussions that I have had with other HP fans...pretty much dissecting the entire series of books for all of the clues hidden in there.

harrypotterybarn
05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm a costumer as a hobby these days. I tried to make a profession out of it but ended up digging myself into a very deep financial hole. Maybe I'll try again someday!

As for this year's HP costume, I'm going for a kind of sexy Slytherin costume. What I have right now is basically a standard replica of the first uniform, and, while nice, needs a bit more spice. I have black hair and grey eyes so I do evil well. :)

If you ever head out this way for Dragoncon or the like drop me a PM. I keep planning to attend since it's only a 3 hour drive from here!

improbable
05-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Aphil, you are my hero. I thought I'd read and worked on every theory possible - but you are incredible. I'm so impressed. Keep going, please!

jtammy
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Ha ha, I used to think I was a big fan, then I read Aphil's thoughts and realized I'm really a HP lightweight, in spite of the fact that I ordered books #2 and #3 from the UK, since they were published there before they were published in the US.

I've pulled the Sorcerer's stone back out and and I'm starting it tonight.....

I've always wondered if there wasn't more to Aunt Petunia than is apparent. Something in the last book really solidified my feeling about that. I'll see if I can find it.

Also, do we know anything about James' family? I've always wondered why we are never told anything about them? Or am I forgetting something?

Thanks Aphil for your well-thought out theories, I'm going to ponder over them as I re-read over the next month.

Sassy_Chick
05-30-2007, 07:48 PM
I am a fan, but of the movies, never have read the books, but we do have them, DH just got them, so I guess I should not read anymore of this as the movies are behind............

But I do plan on reading the books! :D

sockmonkey70
05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Yes yes yes!! I am going to Dallas just to see the movie at iMAX..And I might PEE MY PANTS waiting for that next book! I always start re-reading my books about a month before I get the next one.

techwife
05-31-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm a HUGE HP fan! I once belonged to a website called Virtual Hogwarts where you are sorted into a house (I'm a proud Hufflepuff!!) and then you have to go to potions, astronomy, etc classes and submit your homework. I did this as a way to meet other people that liked the books/movies, but they all just wanted to gossip about each other and the only real discussions about the books or movies was very minimal. I got up to third year and then quit. They asked me to take on the role of the lady that owns that romantic sweets shop...what's the name? I can't remember..it's been a while. It was fun, though. But very time consuming.

I have to admit, though, that my interest in the HP series is sort of tainted now, fully believing that Harry is goign to die in the last book. I wanted it to be more like Star Wars where the good prevails adn evil gets blown up in a death star. I can't even watch the re-run movies because I'm like, "the poor little kids! All that effort just so Voldemort can win?" And then I wonder if it's just JK's way of being sneaky because she is usually VERY hush-hush about anything that happens in her books until release day. So, why would she reveal that bombshell? Is she trying to just throw us all off? I believe her quote was two of the main people die...can't remember if she said main three or main people...which would mean of Harry, Hermione and Ron, only ONE will survive the last book? Why not just kill one of my very own children while you're at it? So, I look at the advertisements of the book in the book store with great trepidation, wondering if I even want to read it.

Anyhow...of course I'll read the darn thing because there are WAY too many questions that need answers...like who/what is the final horcrux? I know that Snape is going to end up good in the end and I fully believe that Dumbledore will pull the old pheonix thing and rise from the ashes...didn't that book end with a patronus-like pheonix rising from the fire? But Harry dying? I don't know if I can take that.

I, too, need to re-read the books because I need to brush up on the Order of the Phoenix before the movie and the rest before the new book. As much as I DON'T want to read it.

On a side note...did anyone see that picture of Daniel Radcliffe for the play he was doing? I didn't see the 'naked' version (would feel the need to wash my eyes out if I'd seen THAT - WAY too much information!), but I saw the 'almost naked' version. Holy Toledo! Its like someone sat on the fast forward button on his growing up days!! He looked like a super model!!

aphil
05-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Before the release of Half-Blood Prince, and the release of Order Of The Phoenix, it was rumoured as well that in each a main character would die. Of course, we all know now that it was Sirius and Dumbledore. When the rumours are going around that two main characters are going to die, I don't believe that it means it can only be Harry/Ron/Hermione.

I would consider Snape, Voldemort, Hagrid, Lupin, the Weasley parents, McGonagall, and Draco and some of the others "main" characters as well. I think when they say main characters, they mean someone we are emotionally invested in (either love 'em or hate 'em...) but not someone like the Patil sisters, Crabbe and Goyle, or Cho Chang...someone who we know from the books and films-but don't see enough of to get really invested in their characters. Did that make sense?

I just don't see the teenage trio as the ONLY main characters. :D So...don't lose heart just yet. :D

jtammy
05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
I had never considered that either Harry, Hermione, or Ron would die until a friend of mine mentioned that she thought Harry would die in the last book. I still find it hard to believe that Harry especially would be killed off. So I'm going into the last book thinking he'll live.

On another note, I work at a library system headquarters and our purchasing and processing people have to sign affadavits saying that we won't open the boxes until the release date, so the books will be sitting in unopened boxes 3 - 4 days before the release date less than 20 feet from my office door. Talk about temptation, chocolate cake has nothing on an unread Harry Potter.....:)

It's not unusual for us to get movies and books before the release date, but the Harry Potter series are the only books for which we have had to sign an affadavit.

aphil
05-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Tammy-they do the exact same thing with Star Wars film releases. Most films arrive at the theatre a few days before their release, etc. and its no big deal, especially with the release of the last Star Wars film-the films themselves were delivered in secret at about midnight-3 in the morning before the theatres opened for business. Some of the workers had to stay in the theatre in the middle of the night to recieve the film, rather than during regular business hours. So, even the workers couldn't watch it until the day of the release-just a couple hours before the general public got to see it. George Lucas wouldn't deliver the films any sooner than that for the same reason-the temptation, the possibility of it leaking out, etc.

We were working security for the 501st at a large theatre, and we were allowed to come in in the middle of the night for the film arrival/employee viewing-with people sleeping out on the sidewalk all night, etc. waiting to see the first showing. It was crazy.

A close friend of mine is a librarian as well, and she is also anticipating the arrival of the books, and is in your situation as well. Her library is having a huge book party on opening day. :)

P.S. Check back on page 2 of the thread-I have edited one of my posts there-where I put in some of the name/phrase meanings, etc. and added some more of them there. It really proves that Rowling wasn't writing a simple children's book. :)

techwife
05-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Before the release of Half-Blood Prince, and the release of Order Of The Phoenix, it was rumoured as well that in each a main character would die. Of course, we all know now that it was Sirius and Dumbledore. When the rumours are going around that two main characters are going to die, I don't believe that it means it can only be Harry/Ron/Hermione.

I would consider Snape, Voldemort, Hagrid, Lupin, the Weasley parents, McGonagall, and Draco and some of the others "main" characters as well. I think when they say main characters, they mean someone we are emotionally invested in (either love 'em or hate 'em...) but not someone like the Patil sisters, Crabbe and Goyle, or Cho Chang...someone who we know from the books and films-but don't see enough of to get really invested in their characters. Did that make sense?

I just don't see the teenage trio as the ONLY main characters. :D So...don't lose heart just yet. :D

Well, the reason that I'm anxious about just the three is because JKR mentioned that the loss of the two that die would make it impossible for anyone else to write another harry potter book, which I think would leave Harry definitely in the cross hairs and I could see Ron or Hermione dying with him in one of their daring adventures and the other getting seriously hurt. I'm predicting Ron and Harry...but I'm hoping against hope that all three will survive and that JKR is just toying with us. What you said about the other predictions of Sirius Black and Dumbledore is true and, therefore, I'm sick wondering which two important people are going to die.

Remember in OotP when Mrs. Weasly had the...what's that thing called that takes on the form of your deepest fears (see why I have to brush up on my HP stuff?)...in the drawer of the Black's house? Her's turned into Ron being dead or something to that matter...I hope it wasn't a prediction or prophecy of some sort.

Rosario
05-31-2007, 11:00 AM
For all you Harry Potter fans:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18950473/

I am so there!

aphil
05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Well, the reason that I'm anxious about just the three is because JKR mentioned that the loss of the two that die would make it impossible for anyone else to write another harry potter book, which I think would leave Harry definitely in the cross hairs and I could see Ron or Hermione dying with him in one of their daring adventures and the other getting seriously hurt. I'm predicting Ron and Harry...but I'm hoping against hope that all three will survive and that JKR is just toying with us. What you said about the other predictions of Sirius Black and Dumbledore is true and, therefore, I'm sick wondering which two important people are going to die.

Remember in OotP when Mrs. Weasly had the...what's that thing called that takes on the form of your deepest fears (see why I have to brush up on my HP stuff?)...in the drawer of the Black's house? Her's turned into Ron being dead or something to that matter...I hope it wasn't a prediction or prophecy of some sort.

~When Mrs. Weasley found the boggart, it turned into a changing image of all of her loved ones dead-each of her children, her husband, Harry...the boggart shows itself as whatever your greatest fear is-it turned into a full moon for Lupin, for instance-so all the boggart was showing, was that her greatest fear was her family members and Harry dying.

~Two main characters dying: It has been rumoured that Rowling is killing off two main characters in the final book, and making it so that there cannot be any more books. I also believe that there are going to be other deaths, of lesser characters.

The obvious #1, at least for me, is going to be Voldemort. The entire series is based on Harry being the chosen one to defeat Voldemort. When Voldemort is gone, so is the purpose of the series going on-just like when the ring and Sauron are destroyed in the Lord Of The Rings. There isn't a point in continuing on when the main story has resolved.

The second death needs to be a death that involves the greater good-one main character saving another main character in the fight.

sockmonkey70
05-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Sniffles.. I don't want the series to be over.

Su-Bee
05-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I recently went to see Equus in London (or, as it's better known, that play where Harry Potter gets all naked and stuff). I don't see how they're going to get Daniel Radcliffe to look young enough for the rest of these movies. I guess it's like all those TV shows where the characters are in high school even though the actors are like 30...

BlueToBlue
05-31-2007, 01:36 PM
NotTheCheat-I have a feeling that R.A.B. is Regulus Black, a former death eater and Sirius's brother, who was killed after he deceived Voldemort somehow...and I think the REAL neclace is still in Grimmauld Place.

It is there--they found a locket when they were cleaning out Grimmauld Place in Book 5!

I do think Harry is going to die but I don't think that death is a going to be a bad end for Harry. With the exception of Ginny, Ron, and Hermione, the people that Harry cares most about about are dead--his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore. The thing that Harry longs most for is to be reunited with his parents (remember the Mirror of Erised?) At the end of book 5, when Sirius dies, he goes behind a curtain and Harry can hear people whispering behind the curtain. So we know that when people die, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything is over for them--there is apparently some form of afterlife.

At first I thought the fact that Harry and Ginny were hooking up as a clue that Harry would live, because why would Rowling hook Harry up with a love interest if she were going to kill him off? But now I think that Ginny is going to die also in the last book, before Harry does. My theory is that Harry is the last Horcrux. That when Voldemolte tried to kill Harry, he ended leaving the last bit of himself in Harry, either by accident or on purpose as his last desperate act when he knew he was dying. It's why Harry can experience the same things Voldemort does and read his mind. So I think that Harry is going to have to choose to destroy himself in order to destroy Voldemort. And when he does, he will be reunited with his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore, and Ginny (now dead). Death is just the next adventure for him. It would make me feel a lot better about my own death if I knew it would reunite me with my mother and others I've cared about who have died. That would not be such a sad ending after all.

I don't think Ron and Hermione will die. But if one dies, I think the other will. Since they are a couple, I can't see Rowling killing off one without the other.

BlueToBlue
05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
I recently went to see Equus in London (or, as it's better known, that play where Harry Potter gets all naked and stuff). I don't see how they're going to get Daniel Radcliffe to look young enough for the rest of these movies. I guess it's like all those TV shows where the characters are in high school even though the actors are like 30...

Wasn't Ralph Macchio close to 30 when he played in The Karate Kid? I don't think anyone had any trouble believing the character was in his teens (in fact, I remember being shocked to discover how old Macchio was).

But I have heard speculation that they may replace Daniel Radcliffe with someone younger at some point.

aphil
05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
~It has already been confirmed that Daniel will play Harry in the last two films-they are going to start filming Half-Blood Prince in September. :) I don't have word yet on Rupert (Ron) and Emma (Hermione).

BluetoBlue-I figured that the locket was the one that they found at Grimmauld Place-especially since R.A.B. was the person who took the real Horcrux-it only fits that it would be Regulus Black, the Death Eater and Sirius's brother, who was killed for betraying Voldemort. Harry owns Grimmauld Place now...and I will *assume* that it will remain the location for the Order, and Harry's home once he comes of age and his protection at the Dursley's is over.

I don't know if Harry is going to have any romance at all in this last book-but honestly, if he were, my bets are on Luna. In the beginning Harry thought she was completely nuts-but by the end of Half-Blood Prince, he found out not only was she true, but funny, honest, loyal, and also had the experience of having a parent who had died. He also found out that not *all* of the things that she believed (that everyone else made fun of her about or deemed her crazy) were crazy/untrue...like the thestrals. I don't think Rowling brought her in during books 5 & 6 for no reason... ;)

***Another note that leads me to believe that Snape is actually loyal to Dumbledore***

In the film Goblet Of Fire, there is the scene where Harry is in Mad-Eye Moody's office. Mad-Eye Moody has a piece of "Foe Glass" and Harry sees Mad-Eye standing in front of it. Moody explains that it helps him see/watch out for his enemies (or something like that) and SNAPE is one of his enemies in the Foe Glass!!!

The thing is...this is the Polyjuice/fake Mad-Eye Moody, or in reality, Barty Crouch Jr., the Death Eater.

Janie Canuck
05-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Wow, I call myself a fan, but I don't deserve the title, compared you a lot of you guys. You have put a LOT of thought into the possible outcomes! I am currently reading OotP to DD9, and hope to finish before the release of the movie, so she can see Harry Potter in the theatre for the first time. She's seen the others all on DVD, but I insist on doing the books first. First, I am a huge reader, and am trying to build that in my kids. Secondly, you miss a LOT of details if you only see the movies, but don't read the books. Lastly, I think the movies might scare her if she didn't have some idea of what was coming.

I think I'll have to re-read THBP before the TDH comes out - I forget too much to just pick up where it left off...

BTW, I'm glad they won't be replacing Daniel Radcliffe - I think he can be believable, age-wise. To me, he IS Harry Potter - I can't imagine trying to believe another actor in the role. I think Daniel is brilliant. Funny, I had commented to a friend that he was becoming a real little hottie, then this nekkid play thing came out.... I haven't seen the poster that you guys were talking about, though.

sockmonkey70
05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Emma Watson WILL be on for the last 2 films. There was a rumor circulating that she had refused the role, but that has been dispelled..though she is getting a bit of a pay raise now.

aphil
05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Janie-I think it is WONDERFUL that you are instilling to your kids that they should read the books before they see the movies. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could have watched Goblet Of Fire without reading the book first...and have had any idea of all the things that were really going on!

sockmonkey70
05-31-2007, 02:42 PM

LOL But he IS young..What is he, 18? The next two movies he will be portraying a 16 and 17 year old..Shouldn't be too hard to do.

sockmonkey70
05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Janie-I think it is WONDERFUL that you are instilling to your kids that they should read the books before they see the movies. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could have watched Goblet Of Fire without reading the book first...and have had any idea of all the things that were really going on!

Ditto. What makes the movies great for me is first reading the books, and having my imagination come to life on screen. And now, I also have faces to put with names when I read.

I do always feel a little disapointed after watching the movies though..I feel so much is left out, but I know it is necessary. I get out of the theatre and I ask my BF.."Why didn't they have "such and such" in there??" I wish they could just make a 30 hour long, totally true to book saga LOL.

ennay
06-01-2007, 12:54 AM
cant wait, I usually reread them all before starting the new one, but dont think I will have time this year.

ennay
06-01-2007, 01:11 AM

Yeah I had to sit down after the movie and explain it all to dh. It made no sense if you hadnt seen the movie, same with the previous one.

NemesisClaws
06-01-2007, 01:53 AM
My word...some of ya'll really get into the theories! LOL, I feel like a complete dunce since I didn't analyze it to that degree! Loved the whole figuring out what some of the names meant, aphil! :)

Personally, I can't wait to read the book! Still, one must try to restrain themselves...LOL....I do watch the movie versions, but I"m sorry, they really suck for the most part. I thought they just left out too much from the books. Still, it makes for an interesting evening.

And finally....I'm a Snape's fan....could that man be any more gorgeous? :)

melekalikimaka
06-01-2007, 02:01 AM
:love: Even at his most dastardly, I'm in love... or is it lust? :devil:

Lucius Malfoy floats my boat too...

ZedAus
06-01-2007, 04:59 AM
A couple of weeks ago I heard on TV that JK Rowling was considering writing another book (the 8th one) for charity. I have no idea how much truth is in that, but it would certainly put a new slant on who lived and died, or was reincarnated etc.

I am also looking forward to the book and movie, and am now wondering whether I should start rereading the old ones after all I have read on here.

Zelma

techwife
06-01-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't know if Harry is going to have any romance at all in this last book-but honestly, if he were, my bets are on Luna. In the beginning Harry thought she was completely nuts-but by the end of Half-Blood Prince, he found out not only was she true, but funny, honest, loyal, and also had the experience of having a parent who had died. He also found out that not *all* of the things that she believed (that everyone else made fun of her about or deemed her crazy) were crazy/untrue...like the thestrals. I don't think Rowling brought her in during books 5 & 6 for no reason... ;)

In the film Goblet Of Fire, there is the scene where Harry is in Mad-Eye Moody's office. Mad-Eye Moody has a piece of "Foe Glass" and Harry sees Mad-Eye standing in front of it. Moody explains that it helps him see/watch out for his enemies (or something like that) and SNAPE is one of his enemies in the Foe Glass!!!

I love Luna. I can't wait to see her portrayed on film. But doesn't she get hooked up with Lupin or was that something I came across on Virtual Hogwarts? As for the Snape in the Foe Glass thing, I totally missed that, as I was showing my daughter Barty Sr. in it. That JKR is sneaky and I love it how she puts these clues throughout the books...not only so you can solve the book you're reading but covering the whole series!

What I also love about JKR is that she started writing these books as a single mom on public assistance, sitting in a coffee shop with her baby by her side. Now, I'm told her net worth is more than the Queen of England! Has she ever been....what is it called when a man is knighted, like Sir Elton John...only for a woman? I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to remember such things.

I really do have to re-read the books. Thing is I read OotP and HBP so closely together I can't remember what parts belong in what book. And its been a LOOOONG time since I read them...like three years ago!

I have a question for everyone...what are your favorite parts that were in the books that were NOT in the movies? I remember being sad that Ron and Hermione weren't arguing over S.P.E.W. There are plenty other parts that I miss that are probably more important, but that part just made me laugh out loud. I would have loved to see that play out on screen.

aphil
06-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Noelle-
Thanks for the eye candy! :love: I normally don't like blonde/blue men, unless they are the exotic fantasy sort-like Lucius Malfoy. Yeah...he is a hottie, too! :o

Zelma-
From all of the Rowling info on her site, Mugglenet, and other places-as far as I know, Rowling is definitely stopping the book at #7, as she originally planned. I am glad in a way though, that she doesn't plan on compromising her art for more money. (Because even if the book were for charity, she would get proceeds from the marketing, film, etc....)

techwife-No, Luna doesn't get hooked up with Lupin, that is Tonks-the pink haired Auror. :)

And to answer your question, some of the things that I wished would have played out on screen that didn't:

~Them divulging the fact that Fleur was part Veela, and why she had such a "hold" over boys/men.

~Arthur Weasley's obsession with Muggle stuff-it would have explained why he had the flying car. :)

~Pansy Parkinson, the nasty Slytherin girl who hangs all over Draco.

~The fact that Hagrid and Madame Maxime are both half-giant. (Although I think they will have to divulge this in the OOTP film.

Nemesis Claws-No, I don't think he can get any more sexy. :devil: My favorite scenes with him in the books are Spinner's End, and Snape's Worst Memory...but in the film it has to be Goblet Of Fire, where he does the slapstick bit-repeatedly beating Ron and Harry in the back of the head for talking in class. :lol:

techwife
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Noelle-

techwife-No, Luna doesn't get hooked up with Lupin, that is Tonks-the pink haired Auror. :)

And to answer your question, some of the things that I wished would have played out on screen that didn't:

~Them divulging the fact that Fleur was part Veela, and why she had such a "hold" over boys/men.

~Arthur Weasley's obsession with Muggle stuff-it would have explained why he had the flying car. :)

~Pansy Parkinson, the nasty Slytherin girl who hangs all over Draco.

~The fact that Hagrid and Madame Maxime are both half-giant. (Although I think they will have to divulge this in the OOTP film.

That's right...I knew you'd know the answer to the Luna/Lupin thing. Tonks is cool, too. And I agree with the Veela part. They left them out of the World Cup, too, didn't they? I guess the books are so heavily layered, we'd be in the theater for half the day if they covered everything. Although I wouldn't mind...

jtammy
06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
One of my favorite parts in a book that never made it to the screen was from The chamber of secrets - the scene from the Weasley's house at the beginning of the book where they were "degnoming" the garden. I just thought it was hilarious - although it certainly wasn't an intregal part of the story. I don't love the movies like I do the books - although I appreciate how the directors have been true to the spirit of the books. I enjoy all of the details of the book and they certainly can't show that in a 2 hour movie. I just generally don't like to have to devote myself to a 2 hour movie, so it's nothing specific to HP. I still haven't seen last summer's HP movie. I keep meaning to, I would just rather spend my free time reading than watching a movie.

Aphil, you mentioned how multilayered and how much depth the stories have. That's exactly why I love them. Forgive me for not being fresh on which book had which plot, but the book where we realized who Scabbers was (Prisoner of Azkaban?), that's the book that clinched it for me. She had been building up for that since chapter 7 of book 1. And for the next two books, she kept layering the details on that. You don't normally see that level of detail in anyone's work. How she keeps it all straight in her head is beyond me.

improbable
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
As to the eighth book thing - she IS considering writing an eighth book for charity, but NOT another in the series per se - more like an overflow book where she gives us all the bits of backstory she has that didn't quite make it into the books themselves. More like "Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them." I really hope she does, she's dropped tidbits here and there of these full, multilayered histories the people have, and I want more!

bdandy3
06-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Yes, Aphil - you are awesome - what amazing detail!

aphil
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
As to the eighth book thing - she IS considering writing an eighth book for charity, but NOT another in the series per se - more like an overflow book where she gives us all the bits of backstory she has that didn't quite make it into the books themselves. More like "Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them." I really hope she does, she's dropped tidbits here and there of these full, multilayered histories the people have, and I want more!

Yes-I thought she meant an additional book in the series, which she has stated is not going to happen.

improbable
06-01-2007, 12:02 PM
In my dreams only... *sigh*

TeresaR
06-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh, I love reading what every one here has had to say. My opinion as to who R.A.B is I am thinking this is Sirius's brother (remember where Sirius is pointing out to Harry the family tapestry at Grimauld Place). I also think we are going to see Neville Longbottom come into his own at long last.

sockmonkey70
06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I have a question for everyone...what are your favorite parts that were in the books that were NOT in the movies? I remember being sad that Ron and Hermione weren't arguing over S.P.E.W. There are plenty other parts that I miss that are probably more important, but that part just made me laugh out loud. I would have loved to see that play out on screen.

Actually I am glad they left out the whle S.P.E.W. thing. I remember that being one of the only things to annoy me while reading the books LOL.

zenor77
06-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I need to re-read all the books I think. I'm not remembering all these details quite as well as everyone else seems to.

I do agree that Alan Rickman is HOT! I've always thought so.

NotTheCheat
06-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow - so much to think about. About Harry being a horcrux, it might have happened by accident but I am sure it wouldn't have been intentional. The looks into Voldemort's mind showed that he doesn't trust other people at all - that he would never intentionally give another person power over himself.

The one thing that struck me about the prophecy was that they are possibly interpreting it incorrectly. In the book, they keep interpreting it as Harry must kill Voldemort in order to survive. It says: "Either must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other survives." Prophecies are always tricky things. I kept thinking that it would reveal that it means that in order for one of them to die, the other one has to die as well. So the idea of Harry being an accidental horcrux makes some sense if that is the case.

RAB being Regulus Black makes total sense. If the locket was in the house hopefully Kreacher hasnít stashed it somewhere Harry canít find or given it to Bellatrix.

I was really surprised when the news was out about Emma Watson saying at first she might not do the last two movies. I would have thought the studio would have contracted them to do all 7 movies from the start. Changing a major character could be disastrous (unless of course they have to as in Dumbledoreís case).

On a tangent, for all of the Alan Rickman lovers out there, if you haven't seen Truly, Madly, Deeply, I highly recommend it. He is so fantastic in that movie.

OnceUponADrive
06-01-2007, 07:00 PM
They are building a Harry Potter theme park in Orlando that's supposed to be open in 2009. They are supposed to have an actual Hogwart's and a Forbidden Forest. I know where I'm going on vacation that year!

jtammy
06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I also think we are going to see Neville Longbottom come into his own at long last.

I agree! I'm expecting Neville to be a much bigger character in this book than he has been. There are some similarities between he and Harry that I think may come into play in this book.

Hmmmm, a theme park? Wow, I haven't heard that. I'm not really sure how I feel about it either.

I'm rereading Sorcerer's stone this weekend. 7 weeks til the new book!

melekalikimaka
06-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Nancy, I loved that movie! Have you seen "Something the Lord Made", that's another good one of his.

As for the theme park, OMG I would love to visit Hogsmeade and see Honeydukes or Zonkos, sounds like great fun.

I saw this on a news ticker this morning that the movie release date has been moved up 2 days to the 11th instead of the 14th--is this true? It's a Wednesday instead of a Friday. :goodvibes:

improbable
06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok, so here's my theory on the prophecy and subsequent plot - lets break it down piece by piece.

"Either must die by the hand of the other" - Seems to me to say that they can ONLY die by the other's hand, that they would be unkillable to anyone else. This would make sense, in that it puts the onus back on Harry specifically as the hero. Also, it explains why Voldemort is so desperate to kill Harry, if Harry is the only one that can in fact kill him. Once Harry is gone, Voldemort would be immortal (or at least unkillable). This theory has the problem of leaving Harry immortal if he kills Voldemort. So, he might CHOOSE death voluntarily, meaning that each kills the other and they both die, knowing that he has the choice to die now or never die at all. As Aphil quotes, death is just the next great adventure. This seems to me to fit much better with JK Rowling's wizarding world and idea of what a prophecy should be than the theory that this phrase means that one MUST kill the other because of a binding magical spell. See below, where I explain more fully. The must refers to the hand of the other, not to the death itself. I'll admit, I'm not sure where this restriction would come from, but it could have to do with the bounced Avada Kedavra curse... I'm just not sure. Of course then, why didn't it work the first time?

"Neither can live while the other survives" - Neither is inclusive of both of them. As I see it, there are two possibilities for this. The first, and less likely, is that it is binding, that some other magical force would come into play and somehow cause one or both of them to die either way. Frankly, this seems unlikely, given the history in the books. Prophecies are just that, and carry no active power themselves - they can predict spells, but not perform them. What seems more likely to me is that it is just that, a prediction, that both are driven to kill the other, for different reasons - Voldemort to assure his own immortality (always his primary concern) and Harry to protect those he loves and the wizarding world as a whole. Neither will stop until the other is dead, but this is an observation of their characters rather than a binding.

TeresaR
06-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Noelle-
...but in the film it has to be Goblet Of Fire, where he does the slapstick bit-repeatedly beating Ron and Harry in the back of the head for talking in class. :lol:

I love that seen. I still get the biggest kick out of it ever time I see it.

RebaR
06-08-2007, 12:07 AM
wow... y'all are impressive... I like the series...but haven't spent all the time thinking of theries like y'all have... our library has the books on tape- unabridged. The reader does an awesome job- different voices for each character etc... we like to get them for road trips! they are in the children's department... may have to go get them again to get ready for the new one!

Late Bloomer
06-09-2007, 04:41 AM
What a fun thread! I prefer the books to the movies, but I do have fun taking my daughter to the movies. With past books my daughter and I have shared a copy, but for the new one I ordered two copies from Amazon. No sharing here!

You all put forth some interesting theories. Add me to the Alan Rickman Love Train! I fear that I am letting my Rickman adoration cloud my judgement about Snape. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be evil after all. Should be interesting!

sirak
06-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Well is this Norbert on the cover of the book (http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/06/08/217942.aspx) ?

techwife
06-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Clues from the book cover illustration? Maybe they all fall off the flying dragon? That would put an end to it for JKR...I'm so dreading reading the last book...knowing that two main characters are going to die. I'm hoping Aphil's right and its not R,H or H, but JKR did say that the deaths will make it impossible for another sequel to be made. Time it winding down! It's a love/hate thing for me. I haven't even been able to watch the DVDs of the movies since I heard of the impending deaths. I know someone said that someone said the next adventure is death and if anyone has equal amounts of friends/relatives on either side of the spirit realm, it's Harry Potter. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

jtammy
06-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Here's a link to the illustrations for the British edition:

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/aei/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/britbook7online.jpg

Looks like Dobbie is back and lots of gold and treasure there. Apparently Harry's mum and dad had lots of money what with all of the gold in Gringotts. Maybe that has something to do with the illustration.

I've re-read books 1, 2 and 3. Starting book 4 tomorrow evening.

Get n healthy
06-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Well i have to chime in. First off, i stand in awe of some of you. I thought i was a fan. I have officially been put to shame.

I am almost offended at those that have only seen the movie, shame on you. There is just something about reading. I began reading this series to my son when he was in 2nd grade and we have both been in love ever since. I would NEVER let my kids see the movie having not read the book. It just urks me that people do that. I mean it really urks me...like i probably need therapy about it. I think of them as "phony fans" or something.

Ok, now i have to place my bet:

Harry and voldemort die, killing each other by some means. Because of the quote about "one can only die by the hand of the other..." or however it went. Plus that would aid to the conclusion in that it would officially be the end of the story...no voldemort no story and no harry no story.

I am still greiving for dumbledore. I have convinced myself that he will return as a force and ally for harry in the last one. Surely. I am really liking the pheonix theory, dont know why, but that never occured to me before.

Snape is a good guy.

And, i thought i was the only one who found snape and lucious hot. Who knew i was not alone. ha ha.

Well i was planning on reading Stephen king for the movie 1408, starting tonight but apparently i am needing to brush up on my harry potter. I think i will dust off book 6 tonight.

techwife
06-24-2007, 09:09 PM
My husband heard a theory by someone that claimed to have gotten into some secret stash of the book and said that it's Hermione and Hagrid that die. :dunno: Doesn't make much sense as this wouldn't end the possibility of no sequels. Just thought I'd put that out there.

sockmonkey70
06-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I am totally in on the Alan Rickman lovefest, but only in Snape costume LOL. Anyone seen Galaxy Quest? LOL.

aphil
06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
My husband heard a theory by someone that claimed to have gotten into some secret stash of the book and said that it's Hermione and Hagrid that die. :dunno: Doesn't make much sense as this wouldn't end the possibility of no sequels. Just thought I'd put that out there.

No spoilers, please! :) Most of them are false anyhow, but in the case that one might be true-no spoilers! ;)

I am totally in on the Alan Rickman lovefest, but only in Snape costume LOL. Anyone seen Galaxy Quest? LOL.

I am all over Alan Rickman in ANY costume...or none. :devil: I liked him in Die Hard, Galaxy Quest, and anything in between. :devil:

kiss me kate
06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
I can't wait for the new book to come out. Of course I am buying the new book as soon as it comes out, but my plan is to buy the older books (which i rented from the library before) each time I lose 10 pounds, then I'll buy one of the older books for myself as a reward.

I think Snape is a good guy too. I think Harry's perception of him is that he tries to take him down by challangeing him, but I think Snape's motives are to help Harry prepare for the final showdown against Voldemort in the final book. Since it's a childrens book, my guess is that good will triumph over evil and that Voldemort will die and Harry will be the one to kill him. At least thats what I hope happens.

lizziness
06-25-2007, 04:35 PM
i am re-reading them all because i forgot A LOT of stuff which i didn't realize i forgot until I finally read number 6. There is a part in either book one or two where Dumbledore mentions to Harry that he thinks Voldemort put a part of himself into him when he attacked him as a baby - so I'm also thinking he's a horacrux and he will have to sacrifice himself to save the world.
I hadn't heard anything about 2 people dying but it would make sense if the two were Harry and Voldemort.
I am totally picking up on so many of the Easter Eggs as I re-read them and I am enjoying it!

ennay
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I do hope some stuff gets resolved. I have always wondered who the Potters were and how DID Lily and James get so much money?

techwife
06-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I think I know, but I'm not sure....what is an Easter Egg? Is it just a big clue?

I agree to no spoilers, but I thought that theory was just rediculous. It was divulged from one of the people that think Harry Potter books are evil because they are condoning witchcraft and wizardry. So, they say they wanted to ruin JKR's big ending. I don't believe it, personally.

My DD is on page 70 something of Order of the Phoenix. I really want her to read the book before she sees the movie.

stiebena
06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
I am SOOOOOO excited for the last book, and the 5th movie to come out!!!!! I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I have read all of the books several times, and I frequently listen to the audiobook versions on my ipod at work when I'm doing something mundane (I work in a lab). I don't have too many predictions on how the last book will end, except that I agree that Snape is a good guy. If Dumbledore is really dead (and I hope he isn't! :( ) then I think he and Snape had the whole thing planned out before his death.

mrsaugie
06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
did someone say Harry Potter. They are wonderful stories. i am looking forward to the next book and the movie.

lizziness
06-28-2007, 01:04 AM
techwife - i did mean all the little hidden clues. things you don't pick up on because you don't realize that they are important in the first read - but become very telling if you re-read them all.

i don't enjoy the movies as much, but they are good and I just finally saw a trailer for it and now I'm excited. :)

racing through the books as fast as i can, i'm more than half way done with#3 now.

techwife
06-28-2007, 07:43 AM
techwife - i did mean all the little hidden clues. things you don't pick up on because you don't realize that they are important in the first read - but become very telling if you re-read them all.

i don't enjoy the movies as much, but they are good and I just finally saw a trailer for it and now I'm excited. :)

racing through the books as fast as i can, i'm more than half way done with#3 now.

I've heard that term before, and thougth I knew what it meant, but thought I'd officially ask so I'm officially sure. ;)

One of my best friends had never seen any of the movies before, so last summer she rented all four movies and her and her husband spent a sunday watching them all for the first time in a row. What an experience that would have been to see them all grow up like that in one day. Cool.

My DD is on about page 100 of Order of the Phoenix. I want her to read it before the movie comes out...or at least a good chunk of it. She's thirteen and usually reads books about Lizzie McGuire or some other teenage drama. I really want her to get the feeling of sinking your teeth into a really good read.

Casandra
06-28-2007, 09:10 AM
"one cannot live while the other survives"

:p I love the Harry Potter series, I have gotten each of the books on the exact day at midnight that they have come out :)

My fiance isnt so keen, he actually scolded me for putting a deposit down on a copy of the 7th book. I cant wait for it!

So many awesome theories, like Harry being a horcrux, and possibly having to kill himself to kill voldemort (one of my personal theories, I dont think many have come up with this one yet)...just the sheer suspense, its soo exciting.

I could put the emphasis on Harry killing himself.

I've also heard that Molly Weasley is one of the mains to go! Close to the beginning. Fleur and Bill are getting married as well, right?

So that might be a conflicting plot line there!

melekalikimaka
06-28-2007, 12:12 PM
:drool: For all you Alan Rickman/Severus Snape fans: Now available at Borders!

info from bordersmedia.com
Severus Snape "action figure": Professor Snape strikes an intimidating pose in our exclusive Series One action figure. Complete with wand and base, the figure can be used for play or displayed as a collectible.

I'm going to get mine now. :whoo:

Harry, Voldemort, and a trio of Ron, Harry and Hermione are available too but does that really matter? :lol:

harrypotterybarn
06-28-2007, 11:22 PM
And we thought we were hardcore:

HP Tattoos! (http://community.livejournal.com/hp_tattoos/)

aphil
06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
And we thought we were hardcore:

HP Tattoos! (http://community.livejournal.com/hp_tattoos/)

I can do better-did I mention my son's first middle name (he has two middle names) is Phoenix?

:D

harrypotterybarn
06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
I can do better-did I mention my son's first middle name (he has two middle names) is Phoenix?

:D

Awww! So cute!

So what made you decide againt Remus ;)

On a total side-note, I actually knew a Nymphadora as a child. She was one of the (very) elderly women at the nursing home I volunteered at. If I remember right, she's one of the ones we celebrated a 100th birthday with.

aphil
07-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Actually, it was a close tie between Phoenix and Sirius. ;)

We chose Phoenix because his second middle name is Tyree, which was my deceased grandmother's maiden name. We did it as a tribute to her, and put Phoenix with it to symbolize dying and rebirth-like the legend of the Phoenix.

TeresaR
07-05-2007, 02:56 PM
How cool that you honored your grandmother like that. I love how you did the middle names.

One of my friends, another avid Harry Potter fan, has talked me into seeing the 7th movie the 1st weekend is out. We had planned on the 2nd weekend but she has decided she can't wait that long. But we are both getting our books as soon as the hit the stores.

aphil
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I plan on being at the store to get my book around midnight! :D

melekalikimaka
07-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I am just going to do the regular routine at Sam's Club, enter earlier during business member hours and get 2-3 copies for myself and my sisters. There is no way we can wait for the other person to finish the book, even if two of us are in the same house :lol:

On another note, my local Borders book store DIDN'T have the Harry Potter figures I mentioned in a previous post (even though their Email advertisements said it was available in stores now), but I did find the figures on Ebay. I managed to win a Snape figure for around $26--the advertised regular price online is around $14.99 -- $17, excluding shipping of course, but it's not being released until September or October. Some ebay sellers have the Snape figure listed at $89.99 Buy it now, and some other bidders have actually bid up a figure to $64.99--that's crazy! Especially when other sellers have the same thing listed starting at $17.99.

aphil
07-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Some Ebayers are CRAZY. I was just on there yesterday, and a seller had a new backpack from The Childrens Place listed for over $30. I messaged her and told her they were selling it AT The Childrens Place for $15. :lol:

paperclippy
07-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I preordered the next book from Amazon.com and it's supposed to arrive on the day it comes out. It worked well for me last time so hopefully it will work again!

I've been rereading the whole series and I'm on Half-Blood Prince right now (about 1/3 of the way through). I got a neckache from reading too much! My favorite theory from all the ones I heard after HBP was that Snape was in love with Lily.

techwife
07-07-2007, 08:30 AM
My favorite theory from all the ones I heard after HBP was that Snape was in love with Lily.

I agree 100%. It explains a LOT!

I never pre-order things. Around here, they get tons of stock in stores...except for the store I'M pre-ordering from and then I see the item I want all over, but have to wait for Fed-Ex to deliver mine the next day. :mad: So, I've learned to just take my chances that the item I want will be available at either Walmart or Borders or wherever.

techwife
07-07-2007, 08:32 AM
I also have a question....I've seen the trailers and saw Johnny Depp's wife (the one that played the mother in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the bride in the Corpse Bride) and wondered what part is it she's playing?

aphil
07-07-2007, 09:31 AM
She is playing Bellatrix LeStrange. :D

And a perfect fit, IMO. :D

NotTheCheat
07-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Here's something I have been thinking about recently. Didn't Harry witness his mother's death when he was a baby? If so, why didn't he see thestrals right from the beginning? Why did he only start seeing them after Cedric died?

techwife
07-07-2007, 10:32 AM
She is playing Bellatrix LeStrange. :D

And a perfect fit, IMO. :D

IMO2!! ;) Now if we could just sneak Johnny Depp in there, too...but I heard that JKR only wants British-born actors in the movie series. Maybe Orlando Bloom? :lol: Is he British or just REALLY good at the accents? I can see it now...Harry Potter and the Revenge of the Black Pearl...or something like that...

aphil
07-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Here's something I have been thinking about recently. Didn't Harry witness his mother's death when he was a baby? If so, why didn't he see thestrals right from the beginning? Why did he only start seeing them after Cedric died?

Jo (J.K. Rowling) explained this in an interview. It was because Harry was too young-a baby-when his mother was killed. He doesn't remember it, and when it happened, he was too young to understand what was taking place. Up until he was 11, he thought they had been killed in a car accident. When Cedric was killed-he was fully aware of what had happened, and was emotionally affected by witnessing it.

Techwife-the actors in the HP films have all different accents-British, Irish, Scottish, French, etc. you can hear it if you listen closely. I noticed right away from Goblet Of Fire that Cho Chang's accent was Scottish.

I love Orlando-but I am actually glad that they didn't use him in the films. I associate him too much with Legolas from LOTR, and William Turner from POTC. :D (Two other series that I really really love!)

techwife
07-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Techwife-I noticed right away from Goblet Of Fire that Cho Chang's accent was Scottish.

I noticed that, too. Cute girl, cute accent. I can't wait to see Harry hit it off with her in OotP. Although my daughter is green with envy.

I love Orlando-but I am actually glad that they didn't use him in the films. I associate him too much with Legolas from LOTR, and William Turner from POTC. :D (Two other series that I really really love!)

Me too and I agree. I can't think of a role Orlando would fit in, actually...maybe a Malfoy relative with the hair from his elf costume in LOTR. But I don't think there is one...at least not one significant enough to warrant Orlando Bloom for the role...just wishful thinking... :love:

:)

lizziness
07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
The first three movies were on ABC family this weekend - so I watched them in preparation for Order of the Phoenix. Wow - did anybody else absolutely hate The Prisoner of Azkaban?

aphil
07-09-2007, 08:06 AM
The first three movies were on ABC family this weekend - so I watched them in preparation for Order of the Phoenix. Wow - did anybody else absolutely hate The Prisoner of Azkaban?

Nope. :)

Personally so far I love them all, but my least favorite is Goblet Of Fire. I love Lupin in POA, especially. He was my favorite character in the film.

I did watch them in prep for the film, to see the tidbits and extras of OOTP between the films.

Schmoodle
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Wow, what a great thread. My whole family, SIL, nieces included love these books and are always debating our theories. We had come up with the Harry horcrux theory. I think the snake horcrux was there to show that a living horcrux is possible. I don't like it, but it makes sense to me. Also love Snape, he has always been the most interesting character to me. But I can't join the Snape lust train. Although I love Alan Rickman, as Snape he's not hot. But I think Snape is still faithful to Dumbledore. I also love Neville and am looking forward to his moment of glory which I'm sure will arrive in the book. I also want to read Harry snogging with Luna.
My nieces still laugh because I was sure snogging must mean something more serious than kissing. And when I started reading about the kids snogging in the hallways of Hogwarts, I was appalled. Although my kids love them, I don't consider these to be kids' books. And therefore I will not be surprised or shocked at anything JKR chooses to put in there.
The prophecy is intentionally obscure and has always bothered me because I think I'm just not getting the real meaning of it. It's definitely not as obvious as one will have to kill the other.
Aphil, you are the master. I am looking forward to coming back to this thread after reading the book and seeing who gets the prize!

lizziness
07-09-2007, 11:09 AM
As a movie PoA wasn't bad - as someone who enjoyed the book ... it was a disappointment. Too many inconsistencies and things that were just skipped over and left out. Also as someone who is a "movie snob" certain scenes seemed to be there just to be pretty and didn't really have much of a purpose beyond that... and while some movies need scenes like that, I didn't think this one really did. Some characters (Malfoy for instance) were entirely out of their usual character in this one too.
Meh - I haven't rewatched The Goblet of Fire yet... can't wait to though.

The closer it comes the more exciting it is. :)

avaroe
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm a huge fan!! I've just purchased tickets for the movie which will screen here in Australia tomorrow!!! Can't wait!! Book coming out soon too!
I lived in Japan for 12mths back in 2005 and the Harry Potter books got a lot of us foreigners through the non-English speaking lifestyle we had to become accustomed!

aphil
07-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I try to separate the books and the films...you really have to. It is almost impossible for a really good novel to be properly protrayed as well as it was in the book-the only cases that I really think the films do the books justice are in the LOTR trilogy, and Silence Of The Lambs.

I don't know what I think about the Harry=horcrux theory. (Dumbledore suspected, but it hasn't been proven yet, that Nagini is a horcrux.) Also, killing someone doesn't automatically make a horcrux. If that was all there was to it, then Tom Riddle would not have had to ask around (Slughorn, etc.) about how to do it. It is a step in the process, but you don't just kill someone and a horcrux is made automatically. If that were the case, then a lot of wizards would have horcruxes, and another would have been made when Cedric died.

I guess I am more on the side that Harry isn't a horcrux. He was supposed to die with the Avada Kedavra curse, and is the only known person to have survived the curse-taking power from Voldemort in the process. This basically fufilled the prophecy given by Trelawney, because by transferring this power, he gave Harry the power to be his equal/"marked him as his equal".

I don't believe that the "neither can live while the other survives" part means that Harry will have to die to kill Voldemort. For me, it means that while they both live, they are both determined and obsessed with defeating the other-and they cannot concentrate on anything else. So, they are not living. Harry telling Ginny that they can't be together is a perfect example of this. He cannot live a normal life while Voldemort goes on...and Voldemort cannot go on while he sees Harry as a threat.

paperclippy
07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Aphil - LOL about books vs movies and LOTR, I loved the LOTR movies but couldn't even make it through the first book because I thought it was so boring.

It is hard with the HP movies because they have to cut out so much to make it fit in 2 hours that by focusing on getting the whole plot of one single book, they have to cut out those important things that connect one movie to the next. I remember after watching PoA I thought "That was good, but if you haven't read the book you'll be missing out on half the plot." Anyway I'll be rewatching it this week, and goblet of fire, with my fiance who has never read the books (though he's taken me to the movies).

I don't think Harry is a horcrux either. After just rereading half-blood prince, it seems like after killing someone there is another additional spell to be performed. If Voldemort was "gone" after trying to kill Harry and failing, he couldn't have done the additional spell.

About the "neither can live while the other survives," well, it can't be taken literally because they are both alive at the moment (in book time anyway). If it was taken literally, Voldemort would not have been able to come back in a physical body unless Harry was dead. I think Aphil has it right -- until one of them is dead both of them will be obsessed with killing each other.

KO
07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm seeing the Movie Tomorrow @12:01 am Technically wednesday. . .yeah work is going to suck but I couldn't concentrate if I was thinking about Harry All day!

Kim_Star060404
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Have any of you watched the movies on TV and then watched them on DVD and noticed that the DVDs left some scenes out? I've noticed it in COS and POA, but haven't checked the others. It's extremely frustrating. I did get the DVDs as a gift, so maybe there's an extended version out that I don't have.

melekalikimaka
07-09-2007, 03:13 PM
I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever read the book right before seeing the movie version again. I did that with Goblet of Fire and the movie stunk (even though I watched it 4 times within 2 days)--the details of the book are too fresh in my mind and I keep thinking "they didn't do this, or he didn't say that, so-and-so did!". Especially w/GOF they condensed it way too much and left out the entire Dursley family and Winky the house elf and too many other details too numerous to mention.

It's funny because I enjoyed the POA movie over the other previous ones, but I enjoy watching them all over and over again. I just ordered the OOTP soundtrack from Amazon. I keep wondering if the movie will have Sirius' mother shrieking from her portrait. :crossed:

TeresaR
07-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't read the books just prior to seeing the movies for the same reason. I did that once and kept yelling because of all the scenes that were left out. Iwon't be able to see the new movie until Saturday.

ShyCammie
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey Ladies,
I'm a definite fan (if a light weight). I've so been looking forward to the release of the book that I didn't realize (until this weekend) that the movie was coming out this summer. (Go figure.)
I LOVE your theories, Aphil!
I've come to much of the same conclusions. Severus Snape (by name) leads me to believe that Snape will kill & eliminate Nagini (as a Horcrux). Could be "dead" wrong...but I'm enjoying the contemplation.
I've also gone back and forth on Harry as a Horcrux. I think the whole "living" is "not focusing on the other." But I also think that possibly Neville will be the one to actually take Voldemort out. (As the other boy born on the same day as Harry, I think there's a possiblility.) (Therefore if both Voldemort and Neville died, two main characters would die, leaving Harry alive.)
I also think Harry's going to have to learn to "think like a grown-up" (ie, not go off half-cocked with wrong info) but that the one who's going to point this out to him, will be...Voldemort. (Perhaps this is too much PeterPan syndrome in a tween/teen...)
One of the other things I was thinking (WAY off, I'm sure) is that the whole series is about "coming of age" and good vs evil (and the evil within us) type concepts parallelled with love protects/saves. So, what if the way the book ends is that the wizarding universe as they/we know it is "destroyed"? Isn't there a little magic in us all? (I know...it's all wrong...but it's what I've been contemplating...)
What say you fans?
Cammie

aphil
07-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't think Neville will be the one to take out Voldemort. I am sticking to my guns that he will instead get Bellatrix Lestrange, who put his parents in St. Mungo's permanently with her Unforgiveable Curse. I think that each child/young man, will avange their parents, so to speak. From a literary standpoint it makes more sense to me. :)

ShyCammie
07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Excellent point. (I appreciate the balance as well.)
I admit, I'm a lightweight when it comes to HP depth of knowledge. But the characters will forever have adventures in my mind. :D
I'm looking forward to the film and book now...I'm glad I took the time to read this thread.

jaxnlula
07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I stayed up last night and saw the movie at 12:01! It was very, very good. On par with PoA. I can't wait for my book to be delivered on the 21st. woohoo! :)

KO
07-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Jax me too IT ROCKED!

melekalikimaka
07-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm sneaking out of my office to catch a matinee....then I'll be bringing my son and sister later on again this evening. Who knows how many times I'll be able to see it before the weekend arrives :goodvibes: oh the joys of being self-employed!

Kim_Star060404
07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see it. I'm going to try to talk DH into going at 9:15 tonight. I wanted to go at midnight last night, but then the realization hit that with DH and friend's DH out of town, we had to get up at 5:30 to feed the horses and move the steers to a new pasture. Bummer. I did promise him that we'd go see Transformers again, but maybe he forgot!

techwife
07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I...just...love...Luna!! And her bunny patronus! I loved the movie as much as I loved the book. It wasn't my favorite of the movies (GofA was) or my least favorite (PofA was)...but it was in the middle for me.

What I didn't like about PofA was how different it all was, in my opinion. It seemed more grey toned (if that makes sense) and a little more 'artistic' or something. I hated that the characters were out of uniform so much and loved that they were back in uniform more for this movie. In PofA, though, I loved the whomping willow...specially the bluebird of happiness flying by it and getting whomped. LOL

If I had to rank it, I think it would be my second favorite. And I, officially, have a crush on Harry Potter. Am I too old for that? :o

sotypical
07-11-2007, 07:13 PM
so silly Courtnie as always, just clues in OMG LAST HARRY POTTER BOOK! And as always it comes out days before her birthday.....

Anyway, do you guys think I will be able to find it in stores? in previous years I have gotten it for my birthday, but this year I am wondering last book and all... if it will be snapped up in mintues and if I should pre-order the book... thoughts?

melekalikimaka
07-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Courtnie, I hear the total printing of the final book will surpass previous issues as far as volume. I do think you should be able to get it at your local Sam's Club or Costco at way cheaper prices than say Borders--even though you get a few "extras" from Borders (bookmarks, posters, etc.). So my answer would be yes the books will be snapped up in minutes but there will be plenty to go around for everyone.

The movie was pretty good but I ALWAYS get that too condensed feeling... I would have no problem sitting in the theater all day if they made the movie exactly like the book. :lol: I'm off to see it again in an hour. :running:

jaxnlula
07-12-2007, 01:05 AM
I love Luna too! She's soo cute. And wrong. And beautiful. I know someone said it before, but I am still hoping for a match between her and Harry.
I wasn't crazy about the Ginny/Harry connection - but my best friend said that he always thought that they'd get together because that way he could be a part of the Weasley's and that's what Harry's always wanted: to be a part of a real family. So that's nice.

sockmonkey70
07-12-2007, 02:57 AM
I saw the movie at midnight yesterday. I think it was a really good adaptation. I love the darker tones of the movie. Of course it felt a little condensed, and I think they could have safely added anotehr 30 minutes or so. I am disapointed in the lack of attention secondary character development gets...but I understand it is hard to develop so many in such a short amount of time. I wanted to see more elaboration on Harry's disapointment in his father from Snape's memories, more elaboration on WHAT the Order of the Phoenix is...a few other things but I am tired so I am done for now.

PS..I love Luna too!!

aphil
07-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Responding to techwife:

I didn't like them being in street clothes so much in POA, but I *did* really enjoy the gray tones of everything. The days were all cloudy outside, the inside of the Shrieking Shack, Lupins office...prison, death...I think it was basically an artistic way of setting the tone for the later movies-because the first two, even during the confrontations in the end with the basalisk and Quirrel, were both "cheery" and they came across as a childrens story, still.

Did that make sense? :lol:

I love, love, love LUNA!

I have to say-I do wish they would have let the development of the Snape/Maurauders/Lily memory play out a little more, and Harry's disappointment with it-especially when he realized in the book that Snape was right...James was a jerk.

Schmoodle
07-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I am so excited I'm going this afternoon with the kids! So nice to have "mustaches", but I'd happily go by myself if necessary. My niece saw it yesterday and said it was good, but she would have happily sat through a 4 hour movie, it felt a little too condensed to her.
Courtnie, when the last book came out, my SIL ordered hers through amazon.com and didn't get it until Monday! She was pissed. Particularly because I waltzed into Kmart and picked mine up Saturday morning. So I think you'll have no problem getting hold of one. That's what I plan to do.

paperclippy
07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I preordered from Amazon more because it was cheap than because of any convenience issues . . . I think the list price is $35 and I paid $15 on Amazon. I did pay for shipping to make sure I get it on the release date though.

I'm planning to see the movie this weekend! Today I should be getting GoF in the mail from Netflix so I can "review" with my fiance, who has never read the books. We watched PoA last night. Isn't it weird to watch movies when you already have a mental image of people? Sirius in my head doesn't look anything like Sirius in the movies. Lupin too.

PinkHoodie
07-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I LOVE Harry Potter! I have read the books several times, and watched the movies several times. We are going to see the movie this weekend. Got a free ticket inside my Wii Harry Potter game! Hehe! I saw Daniel Radcliffe on Jay Leno earlier this week, and he is SO different from American celebrities. Hes seems....shy. But he is also FUNNY! He has a real quick wit about him. I am going to get the new book at Midnight next week! :) I am excited to see how it all ends, though I may cry!

Ellies mom
07-13-2007, 02:26 AM
I am such a novice when it comes to HP compared to most of you. But, I love (own) all the books and movies. However big a fan I am, my DH is even bigger. He is the epitome of the rough, tough, country man. He spends his time talking sports, hunting, and fishing, but when I had him read the 1st HP book, he was hooked.

All of this to say we found sitters for our 3 kids and went to the late show last night. OMG, OotP is quite possibly my favorite HP movie now. It does such a good job sticking to the book. (I hate it when movies break away from the original book.) I am such a softy to Harry's character. I knew what was going to happen, and yet, I still cried when Sirius died. By the way, my DH is convinced that Sirius didn't really die but is rather being held somewhere and will return in book 7. Great movie!

I have the book pre-ordered from Amazon, but now DH and I are arguing about who will get to read it first.:D Is is normal for 35 year olds to enjoy a children's story so much? :^:

melekalikimaka
07-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Is it normal for 35 year olds to enjoy a children's story so much? :^:

:yes: you and me both!

Casandra
07-13-2007, 03:56 AM
All of this to say we found sitters for our 3 kids and went to the late show last night. OMG, OotP is quite possibly my favorite HP movie now. It does such a good job sticking to the book. (I hate it when movies break away from the original book.)

I'm sure that a lot of people know that JK Rowling didnt want to let Harry Potter be turned into a movie series at first. She was made hundreds of offers, but she didnt want the movies to franchise. Harry Splinches Taiwan, or Harry Does Lithuania. ect. She settled with Warner on HER terms and her terms alone. She is on set, being somewhat of a director, making sure things stick as closely as possible to the books.

That is what I like about the films. I havent seen it yet, too poor, actually might be something I could do next week when I get paid. Anywho, I have the book preordered and I am planning to go to the London signing :D I got in ^-^

aphil
07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Rowling also goes over the screenplays and gives them the thumbs up or down. If the screenplay writer leaves something out that needs to be in there for the story to move along in the next book and film, she makes them put it in there. Any changes from the book to the film she has to okay.

Actually, the film version goes along with the camp that Sirius "won't" be back in live, physical form. In the film, Bellatrix didn't just knock him through the veil like in the book...she did the Avada Kedavra curse on him which made him go through...and Rowling let that get put in there...so I believe that he really is gone for good, at least alive-wise. I am sure there are ways, like talking portraits, etc. that he could return, but not in live, physical form.

From a literary standpoint, every young hero with a mentor has to have mentors at some point taken away from them, to show them that they have the strength and the knowledge to conquer on their own. (Like Obi-Wan and Yoda dying in Star Wars leaving Luke alone, or the coach dying in the movie "Rocky".)

I think it is important for Harry's character development that his mentors (Dumbledore and Sirius) die, so that he can grow to face Voldemort on his own in book 7.

Ellies mom
07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
The mentor thing is a great point, Aphil!

paperclippy
07-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I just saw the movie this weekend. I thought they did a really good job considering how much they had to cut out, but as expected my fiance, who hasn't read the books, felt like he didn't get much out of it other than neat special effects and some action scenes.

What I wonder about is the things they cut, things I thought were important. I mean, JKR approves all the scripts, right? So the Snape/Lily theory that I loved so much might not be a true after all, considering they completely cut Lily out of the "Snape's worst memory" scene.

aphil
07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Part of it, is that the people who are doing the screenplay don't know what is to come with Rowling's future books. They don't know who is going to be developed, etc. in future books, or what their outcomes are going to be. The actors, as of now, don't even know what is in book 7, if they are going to die, etc.

So, Rowling tells them they need to add something back in-only if it is absolutely imperative. They honestly needed to develop Kreatcher a bit more as well for his importance in book 7, but they were going to cut him out of this movie altogether, until JKR told them they needed to put him in at least somewhere, or else they would tie their hands in future films.

I think Snape is going to be developed further in the next film, as his importance becomes more significant, obviously. :)

Here is something fun we can do until the book release. :) How about we put our top favorite things about the new film...and the top 5 things we wish would have been different about it. :)

The 5 things I liked best about OOTP:

1.) This is going to sound silly, but it is the only part of the film where I laughed OUT LOUD in the theatre. :lol: I loved the attention to detail on the schoolbook the Professor Umbridge handed out to her DADA class. (Defense Against Dark Arts...I am used to using the abbreviations from other HP websites.) It looked like a 1950's version of the "Dick and Jane" reading primers. :rofl: I loved that they added that effect, to portray how remedial the class was going to be. :lol:

2.) I loved that they put in some things for the book fans that were never "mentioned" in the film. Things like Luna wearing her radish earrings. It meant a lot to me that they added these small details. :)

3.) I loved Trelawney's acting and development in this film. I loved how paranoid she was acting during the start of term feast-looking over at Umbridge, and during her speech. Trelawney was simply awesome-exactly how they described her in the books, her reaction to being fired, her actions when Umbridge was watching her class, the whole thing.

4.) I loved the detail in the Black family tapestry. I was glad that they took so much time making it look so beautiful and old, and that they showed the "burned out" faces of the family members. I loved that they showed Bellatrix's pcture on it, and how beautiful she was before Azkaban. I was very pleased with the whole tapestry scene.

5.) I loved the detail that they put into Umbridge. She was honestly the best actor in the entire film. She was exactly how I would ahve pictured her. I was absolutely thrilled that they included her little pink half-cardigan, and her pink office with the doilies and china kitten plates. :D

My top 5 disappointments:

1.) I wished that they would have made it a bit more clear that the Weasley twins were going to open up their magic joke shop when they left Hogwarts. They didn't put it in the GOF film, that Harry had given them his winnings after the tournament to fund the making of their joke products. It would have taken 30 seconds to do in the film, but it would have given the viewers (who didn't read the books) a little more idea about where the twins were headed in the future.

2.) I wish that they would have added 5 minutes into the film and had shown Mrs. Weasley in St. Mungo's. They could have taken the scene from the film where Neville told Harry about his parents, and instead made it into the actual book scene, where they saw Neville visiting his parents there when they were going to visit Mr. Weasley. I think it would have developed Neville a little better.

3.) I wish that they would have taken 2 minutes and shown Kreatcher in the floo network/fireplace in Umbridge's office, telling Harry that Sirius wasn't at home. (Showing him lie to Harry to bait him...) to develop him a bit more for book/film 7.

4.) I wished they would have shown that Harry was TRYING to delve further into his dreams about Voldemort and the prophecy/Ministry Of Magic, rather than trying to block them out. I think it was really important to Harry's actual character development in this book-to show that Harry was actually being a big brat, and defying Snape and Dumbledore. He was acting like a brat in the book, and was indirectly the cause of Sirius's death. He did what he wanted to do, rather than what he was told...and a death resulted. They didn't go into that fully...and I think they should have. In the film, because they left it out, it made me sympathetic towards Harry, whereas in the book I was upset and livid with him-because he defied Dumbledore.

5.) I think they should have taken 2-3 minutes and delved into Snape's Worst Memory more. I think it was important for character development, and I think it was important that they should have shown Harry snooping into the pensieve without permission into Snape's memories. I cried when I read this chapter in the book, because it humanized Snape so much...where the film only hinted at the whole experience.

All in all, all of the changes I would have made would have only added 10 minutes to the film, so I think they would have been doable. :)

paperclippy
07-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Aphil, I agree on some of yours and not others!

Best 5 things:
1) They did a good job of making it gripping so you don't notice how long you've been in the theater.
2) The acting is getting better (from the kids I mean).
3) Thestrals were awesome, although they failed to mention the whole sense of direction thing. The scene with Luna and the thestrals was really good too despite not being in the book at all.
4) We had a good laugh at the extendable ears.
5) Umbridge's "hem-hem" cough!! And the kitten wall in her office was great. She was good overall, although I wish she had looked a little more like a toad. ;)

5 Things I Would Change:
1) Adding in the scene in St Mungo's with Neville's parents. They didn't even mention in the movie that his parents were alive and insane -- what's been said in the movies is his parents suffered "a fate worse than death" and were "tortured by Bellatrix Lestrange."
2) More elaboration of Snape's memory, including putting in Lily defending him and James and Sirius being really cocky.
3) The combo of Sirius giving Harry the two-way mirror and Harry talking to Kreacher in the fireplace. It makes his death much more poignant to know it could have been avoided.
4) The whole Weasly business. Not only did they leave out the thousand galleons prize from GoF (which made Ron being a jerk about it less explainable), but they didn't even mention their joke business dream.
5) This is a toss-up between either showing more about the OWLs or Cho's friend Marietta and the "sneak" pimples. Or the fact that Dumbledore seemed weird to me in general. Or maybe the fact that Ron and Hermione were made Prefects.

Sakai
07-17-2007, 06:44 AM
I read ootp once, and that was the day it came out. I never read it a second time.
BUT! I still remember a lot and was pretty happy with the movie. I think they could of added another 10 or 15 minutes to flesh out the important things a bit more.

I LOVED how they made it feel like Harry was all alone in the start of the movie. It made ME feel sad and alone.
the part where Trelawney was fired was very good. It was heartbreaking to see that poor woman like that. I felt so MAD at Umbridge I just wanted to throw a rock at her.
Umbridge was perfect, I was just as frustrated with her in the movie as I was in the book.

I wish they added the part where Harry finds out that Snape really did understand what he meant about padfoot in the place that was secret and ect... it would of shown more about Snape being a good guy, which I think, they didn't show enough of. Because didn't Snape run to someone and tell them what Harry said? that was how the Order knew to go help them?
LOL like I said, I haven't read the book in years, I might be a bit off. ^_^

the baby thestral was so CUTE! I just wanted to snatch it up.

- When i heard that two main characters were gonna die I thought...Harry.. and Snape...I figured that Duh Voldermort dies...I thought they meant two main GOOD characters. Harry for one, because that would close the chance of there being any temptation of another book. And Snape because Harry and Snape seem too closely conected with each other. What better way to redeam himself than to die (fighting voldermort or protecting Harry or what not?)
But then I thought... "What if they mean just any two main characters?" Well then of course Voldermort is one, that leaves harry for the other. But then there is still the chance of snape or even Nevile @_@

- Here is a question... dosn't Dumbledore have a twin?
Do you think he will play a part in the next book?

paperclippy
07-17-2007, 08:36 AM
You're right about Snape, he did go tell the order (although not immediately I think). It would add to the question at the end of Half-Blood Prince about whether Snape really is a good guy or a bad guy.

Dumbledore has a brother (Aberforth) but I don't know if he is his twin. Isn't he a bartender? As for two main characters dying . . . hmmm . . . In terms of Harry dying, there are two ways it could happen. One is that it happens as part of the climactic ending, the other is that after the climax where he defeats Voldemort (I assume JKR isn't going to let Voldemort win) there is a flash-forward 50 years or whatever to him dying as an old man.

I would not be surprised if Neville dies in the next book -- it seems like the kind of thing that might be in there.

techwife
07-17-2007, 09:09 AM
The thing that always strikes me about the movies (except for PofA) is how they SO resemble exactly what the book looked like in my mind. Everything from Hogwarts itself to the Shrieking Shack, Hogsmeade, etc...was done exactly as I pictured it. Here, Grimmauld Place looked exactly like it did in my minds eye reading the book. Especially the tapestry (or wallpaper as it looked like in the movie)...it's exactly like I pictured it in the book.

As for RAB...Isn't there a Black named Regulus or Rubious or something like that? Its been SOOOO long since I've read the books. I believe I may start HBP today as a re-read before I start DH. Or, maybe RAB is three people whos names start as RAand B

Anyhow...time for breakfast!!

aphil
07-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Yes, there is Regulus Black. :)

Yes, Snape did alert the Order when Harry said "He has Padfoot where it's hidden". It might not have been immediately, but, (I am a Snape defender, and believe that he is loyal to Dumbledore.) I would imagine that it might have took a bit of planning to do so, because he had to act like an ordinary teacher, and not let Umbridge know what was going on.

Basically, if he and McGonagall were the Order members at Hogwarts, then they had to find a way to alert Grimmauld Place without Umbridge finding out. (She and the Ministry, and Filch, etc. were intercepting all owls, watching the floo network, etc.) There were spells preventing apparation inside Hogwarts grounds, and other things to protect it and its students...so it most likely wasn't as easy as simply apparating to the Black house, or sticking his head in a fire. :lol:

paperclippy
07-17-2007, 10:34 AM
I bet the quickest way to let the order know would be to go to Dumbledore's office and ask one of the portraits to go visit their other portraits (like the one of Phineas in Sirius's house?).

aphil
07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
This would be true...but, in the book, when Dumbledore disappeared after his altercation with the Ministry of Magic, his office magically sealed itself off, so that no one could get in and use it. (Umbridge couldn't take over his office during her stint as headmistress.)

RocknRoll
07-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Not sure if you guys have talked about this yet but here is a giant
WARNING!!

The first 500 pages of the book have been photocopied and put on the web. This also includes the epilogue. So please be really careful of what harry potter links you click on and what websites you choose to go to.

I know the book is very important to a lot of us and this would just ruin it all together!

Schmoodle
07-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Aphil, I just saw your post, so here's my best and worst:

Best:
1. Luna, she was perfect, just as I imagined her.
2. Prof. Umbridge, if possible, even better than in the book, just perfectly evil and hateful with a little Queen Elizabeth thrown in.
3. I loved that Ron had to do a little more acting in this one, and that he seems to have really grown as an actor.
4. Harry, just a really good job. That boy has a future!

Worst:
1. I wanted more of the goings-on in the ministry, it just seemed like it was all over too quickly.
2. I wanted to see more of the Black's house, but that's just me, I love old houses, and particularly haunty old houses.
3. It bugged me that they stuck Cho as the informer. It's a little thing, but she wouldn't do that, and the veritaserum explanation was just a little too pat.
4. I agree, more of Fred and George.

lizziness
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
i haven't had a chance to see the movie yet:( disappointed but i'll live.

i don't know about anyone else- but our Barnes& Noble is having a midnight party ... I am going this should be interesting - get my book & get to see the truly obsessed HP fans... can't wait!

lizziness
07-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Shame on the New York Times. :tantrum:

techwife
07-19-2007, 05:53 PM
O......M.....G!! So, I'm at the library in my knitting/crocheting club and I see in the young adult section, the harry potter section. And in it, I see an orange harry potter book. So, I asked my daughter...go see if that's Deathly Hallows. Sure enough...it was the new book!! So, I got it and peeked at the last chapter because I'm like that and I STILL don't know who dies. Even if I did, I wouldn't tell you guys because I'm like that, as well. So, after about ten minutes of feeling like Scotland Yard was going to swoop into a Northern New York library and arrest me for readign the book ahead of time, I gave the book to the librarian and she practically passed out at it being in my hands and said that one of the part timers must have put it on the shelves. So, she got the other copy off the shelves and put them away until Saturday morning. I put a hold on one copy for me so I can read it on my way to Rochester for a graduation party.

But, the only part I saw that I'll tell you about because I don't feel its a spoiler as much of a reason to be even more excited to get it is there is an epilogue at the end entitled 19 Years Later. Not exactly sure what it's about, but I do know WHO its about and I cannot wait to read it guilt-free. But, then, again, I may not know who it's about because JKR is so good at twists and turns and especially throwing off us impatient people that may skip to the back of the book...I could be totally wrong. Just a little tease...but the epilogue is titled that :s: And that's all I'm sayin...

I'm just supremely proud of myself for turning the book in to the librarian before reading much more.

aphil
07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
You are stronger than I...I would have been camped out in the library on the floor in a corner somewhere until closing. :devil:

sockmonkey70
07-19-2007, 09:42 PM
O......M.....G!! So, I'm at the library in my knitting/crocheting club and I see in the young adult section, the harry potter section. And in it, I see an orange harry potter book. So, I asked my daughter...go see if that's Deathly Hallows. Sure enough...it was the new book!! So, I got it and peeked at the last chapter because I'm like that and I STILL don't know who dies. Even if I did, I wouldn't tell you guys because I'm like that, as well. So, after about ten minutes of feeling like Scotland Yard was going to swoop into a Northern New York library and arrest me for readign the book ahead of time, I gave the book to the librarian and she practically passed out at it being in my hands and said that one of the part timers must have put it on the shelves. So, she got the other copy off the shelves and put them away until Saturday morning. I put a hold on one copy for me so I can read it on my way to Rochester for a graduation party.

But, the only part I saw that I'll tell you about because I don't feel its a spoiler as much of a reason to be even more excited to get it is there is an epilogue at the end entitled 19 Years Later. Not exactly sure what it's about, but I do know WHO its about and I cannot wait to read it guilt-free. But, then, again, I may not know who it's about because JKR is so good at twists and turns and especially throwing off us impatient people that may skip to the back of the book...I could be totally wrong. Just a little tease...but the epilogue is titled that :s: And that's all I'm sayin...

I'm just supremely proud of myself for turning the book in to the librarian before reading much more.

Ahhhhhh You are C-R-A-Z-Y! lol. I am too poor to buy the new book when it comes out **Soooobbbbbssss** I am going to try to borrow money from someone, and get to Wal-Mart at 10PM or so and camp out for the book hehe. Ours are supposed to go on the shelves at 12:01 AM Saturday!

aphil
07-20-2007, 08:40 AM
I wrote a letter tot he editor at the NY Times. I am very disappointed that they would go out and get a copy of the book before its release-and they have done this in the past, so they "know" someone at a local bookstore who is giving them these books-and publishing the review 2 days before the book release.

Some authors purposely send copies to people to review, to get better sales when their books are released-however, Rowling and Scholastic did not send early copies to anyone, and wanted it to be a surprise for everyone at the same time.

I can't believe people. It is just simply ridiculous. The online seller who shipped people their books early is the reason that someone copied the book and put it online a few days ago. I mean, if I got an early copy in the mail, not only would I report it to Scholastic, but if I caved and read it (which I probably would) I would at least keep it all to myself until after the official release to discuss the plot openly.

Anyhow...I am going to be getting mine at 12:01 tonight! :carrot:

lizziness
07-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I'll be there at 12:01 too! I am excited - but must confess this is probably the geekiest thing I've done. I'm going to take an early lunch so I can get my bracelet so I can get in this evening - and I'm heading straight over after work at 6PM because the bookstore said they had the fire marshall looking very closely at them and their capacity numbers...I do not want to get bumped! I'm already at a disadvantage getting there at 6 if you can believe it!
Can't wait!

Schmoodle
07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Lizziness it sounds like it'll be lots of fun! If I didn't have kids that are too young, I'd be there too. And don't worry there are lots of geekier things in the world. I once dressed up for a midnight show of Rocky Horror Picture Show. And brought toast, rice, and newspapers.

paperclippy
07-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I guess it is almost time to stop reading this thread until I've read the book since I'm expecting the quicker readers among you will finish it before me!

aphil
07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Here is what we can do in regards to spoilers...when some of us start finishing the book:

When someone has finished the book and wants to start discussing it (whomever finishes it first and posts first about it), then come here, put:

"Discussion of Deathly Hallows following!!!"

in a post all by itself. Then, discussion can start with the next post (by someone different, or the same poster). This way, when we get that email notification, that simple line will let us all know that the book discussion is starting, but it doesn't give away any spoilers, and we know not to read the thread until we have finished. If you don't get email notifications, and you are simply reading this thread-you know not to scroll down any further until you have read the book.

Does that sound okay? :)

sockmonkey70
07-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Otaaaaaay :D

techwife
07-20-2007, 04:22 PM
works for me!! :carrot:

Kim_Star060404
07-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm all bummed out. Our local bookstore (the only one for 30 miles one way and 60 miles the other), was planning on opening at midnight to sell the book (and give out pre-orders). Well, for some dumb reason, they decided not to have the midnight party and won't be opening until 9am tomorrow morning! ARGH!!!!

aphil
07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Too bad! :(

I have Kroger, Wal-Mart, and a local bookstore here that are all open for the midnight release, or open 24 hours anyway...so I should have no problem getting my copy tonight.

We have a really busy day tomorrow, and DH asked me "Are you going to be able to go to sleep when you get back, with that book RIGHT THERE?" I told him I might have to read a couple chapters before I go to sleep...and he said "Yeah...you are going to read for at LEAST two hours, and be worthless in the morning." :lol:

He knows me well...

:^:

sockmonkey70
07-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Less than four hours until Harry Potter is mine!!!

techwife
07-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Okay...what chapter are you on? I'm on the table of contents... :lol: Plan to make lots of progress today...

jtammy
07-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm about half way finished. Chapter 17. Can't wait to discuss it. I will admit that I flipped to the back last night and read the epilogue. :)

melekalikimaka
07-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I couldn't/didn't want to stay up til midnight last night even though I was at the bookstore. There were loads of muggles wearing their wizarding best :lol: I'm waiting for Sam's Club to open in another hour and a half... don't spill the beans!

Bensmommy
07-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Got the book at midnight, and aside from about a 3-hour break for some sleep, I have read continuously. I just finished about 15 minutes ago.

Kim_Star060404
07-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I bought the book at about 10 am this morning and finished about an hour ago! It was so awesome!

sockmonkey70
07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Finished. I feel like a good friend of mine has died. Siiiggghhh.

RocknRoll
07-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: $19.26
Eye Drops for extreme reading: $6
Diet Coca Cola to stay alert: $1.22

Being able to cry and smile at the same time: Priceless

I'm so sad its over.

sockmonkey70
07-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Well now that I have had a night to sleep on it...I really expected a little more from the book. The only part that I really really loved was Snape's memories..I cried and cried and cried...It was a good book, don't get me wrong..I just feel like something was missing...I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet though...Maybe it's just the emptiness I feel knowing I will never again feel the excitement of a new HP book LOL.

sfj
07-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I must confess. I have not read the books. Just watched the movies.

But yesterday I was at Kmart and they had copies left. So I bought one.

But I am not reading it now. I will buy the others first.

jtammy
07-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Here is what we can do in regards to spoilers...when some of us start finishing the book:

When someone has finished the book and wants to start discussing it (whomever finishes it first and posts first about it), then come here, put:

"Discussion of Deathly Hallows following!!!"

in a post all by itself. Then, discussion can start with the next post (by someone different, or the same poster). This way, when we get that email notification, that simple line will let us all know that the book discussion is starting, but it doesn't give away any spoilers, and we know not to read the thread until we have finished. If you don't get email notifications, and you are simply reading this thread-you know not to scroll down any further until you have read the book.

Does that sound okay? :)

Sorry to be dense, but am I understanding that we will discuss it on this thread? I'm finished and want to talk about it, but I certainly don't want to spoil it for anyone. Maybe we need a new thread with the word spoiler in the title so no one will be caught off guard. It's too easy to click the new posts icon by the thread title and see only the new posts and possibly miss the warning above....

TeresaR
07-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I have also finished reading the book. Have to say I loved it, though I feel as though I've lost a few good friends with certain deaths in the book I do have a grudging respect for Snape now after seeing his memories. I wouild have loved to hear about what careers a number of the characters ended up with besides Neville.

denialisnthappiness
07-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm pleased that there actually was an epilogue of some sort - however I feel it was perhaps slightly too cliche. Snapes memories were excellent imo. Did anyone else get say two thirds through and think 'wow' this is good and not be able to read as fast as they wished? I feel like i've just consumed the book rather than read it

Happy yet sad that its 'over' now

jtammy
07-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi guys, I created another thread here with the word spoilers in the title where we can hopefully discuss the book without fear of spoiling it for someone else. Come on over here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118567) and talk about it with me.

lizziness
07-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Lizziness it sounds like it'll be lots of fun! If I didn't have kids that are too young, I'd be there too. And don't worry there are lots of geekier things in the world. I once dressed up for a midnight show of Rocky Horror Picture Show. And brought toast, rice, and newspapers.

Where can I sign up?! I love RHPS probably more than Harry Potter. ;)

The party was a little much for me - but it was fun to see the excitement building... and I saw the most adorable toddler dressed as Dobby in a pillow case with a sock stuck to it and the perfect Mr. Weasley dressed in "muggle-wear" - dress shoes and socks with swimming trunks a business jacket and crazy tie. It was perfect!

aphil
07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Actually-what I had meant to do, and (obviously badly) tried to explain, was that when we were to start discussing the book, that someone come here to this thread, and post this:

Deathly Hallows Discussion Following

To keep it on this thread, but to let others know that if they scrolled down further, that spoilers would follow.

:^:

I