General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #1  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Any bowlers out there?

I am in the clutches of a new obsession, bowling! It all started with an innocent 10th birthday party for my niece which was held at a bowling alley about 3 weeks ago. I hadn't tried bowling since the 7th grade P.E. class (many eons ago) where we were forced to do it, and I remember not enjoying it at all because of the god-awful shoes they made you wear which absolutely did not match with our P.E. uniforms. This b-day party was tons of fun though and even though we threw a lot of gutter balls, we had a blast.

Fast-forward to today--since that birthday party, my husband, son and I have been impatiently waiting at various bowling alleys around town every weekend, and sometimes even twice during the week days to get on the lanes. I can't believe how fun it's been to try and knock those pins down, plus it's something we together. My sisters get in on the fun too and since we all haven't gone bowling since 7th grade PE, we all stink at it. It's hilarious. I have definitely overdone it though, my ring and middle finger feel sprained and I have had to lay off for the past few days--the torture! Is there anyone out there who is a regular bowler who can offer tips, suggestions or recommendations for a beginner like me as far as equipment or info on how to prevent further injuries?

I am currently using my most recent Mother's Day present--an 8 lb ball (due to issues w/carpal tunnel syndrome) which as drilled by a pro-shop.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Default Re: Bowling

Hi,

I just read your post re bowling. I am one of those seniors and when I retired almost 6 years ago, I found out they had these senior house parties at the different bowling alleys. I, like yourself, hadn't bowled for quite some time. However, now I bowl at least 3 or 4 times each week.

I used to bowl with a 12 lb. ball but I had an episode with tennis elbow and once I got that straightened out I decided to stick with a 10 lb. ball. I see you are bowling with an 8 lb. ball and I would assume you are using the conventional grip and not the fingertip grip. During the last two years I have advanced to the fingertip grip and I found out I have less soreness when it comes to my fingers. I started out with a 128 or so average and now I have a 160 average. I might add I am also a left-hander.

If you decide to buy a 10 lb. ball I would suggest the Brunswick Goliath. That is the ball I am now bowling with and it works very well!

What's great about bowling is I see these folks in their late 70's and 80's still going strong and enjoying the game!

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Nita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #3  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Oooohhh I love a bowling thread!!!

I've been a bowler since I was in bumpers...I'm 31 now. But when I was younger I only went to flirt with the boys and didn't care so much about my game. Then as an overweight adult, I had to swing waaaaay around my hips and didn't throw the ball right. Then I lost a bunch of weight and got really strong with weight training and last season I ended with average of 165. I throw a 16 lb Hammer. I have found I didn't lose as much wt during bowling seaon, lots of draft beer pitchers and fried food samplers. LOL

Two girls I grew up bowling with went on to bowl for the USA Olympic bowling team. Pretty neat, huh?
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Hi NurseMichelle,

Wow, a 16 lb. bowling ball--way to go. Speaking of bowling, we have our "free" bowling luncheon today and then we will have our house party of 3 games. This is also exciting because I was raised and lived in Cleveland, Ohio most of my childhood and adult life.

I am trying to get back into the grove of losing weight again and even though bowling is not that strenuous, I really feel I am accomplishing something when I am out there.

This is great to have a "bowling" thread.

Take care,
Nita
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #5  
so close, yet so far...

Hey ladies, thanks for the replies. I can't believe how addicting the game can be. It's funny because my husband and I have tried golf in the past and it just didn't have the same appeal to me--maybe because it's hard? Not that bowling is easy but it's much more fun. And as someone told me, at least the ball comes back to you

Nita, have fun at your luncheon and good luck on your game. I see a lot of seniors here also, and they are the ones I love to watch because most of them are spot on. Alot of the younger crowd just like to whale the ball as hard as they can without much accuracy, plus they loft the ball so much it damages the lane.

Michelle, how awesome that you have bowled with some high caliber bowlers--and congratulations on your weight loss! You've made great progress. It didn't occur to me that weight training could make so much of a difference in the ball weight. It's something I can be working on. For now I have to let my fingers rest up a bit.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I haven't bowled in years Noelle. My shoulder bothers me from all the drywall taping I have done, so I stay away from it. I spent many years in the bowling alley though. All through junior high we bowled as a family in the adult junior league. Several of my friends did too. My mom and dad were league bowlers. As an adult of 18 through about 30 I bowled twice a week in a scratch trio and a 5 man handicap league. It was so much fun. When my son was 2 and my daughter was born I slowed down a bit then a few laters later quit as it was taking too much time away from my family. My ex bowled also one night a week with my mom, sister and friends....the guys all bowled in the mens league next to their womens league on Monday nights.

My high game was a 290, I also had a 257 and a 239 that night for my highest series. My sister and brother in law still bowl all the time. They are very good...many 300 games between them. My brother in law was just invited to bowl in a new senior league they are starting...not sure if he will. They bowl all over, in fact they just got home from Vegas then Reno in time for my daughter's wedding.

I suggest you talk to a pro in the pro shop as to what size ball and finger grip you need. It is much better to have your own ball and shoes, but you should make sure that you will get your moneys worth out of them...I have seen many people get excited, run down and buy a ball and shoes then the "new" wears off and they never go back to the alley. I also suggest joinng a handicap summer league if possible, they are a lot of fun and not too long.

ENJOY! It is a great sport!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #7  
so close, yet so far...

Thanks for the info Gary, those scores of yours are impressive! My BIL is a taper and he's never come with us, he claims it's because he doesn't like anyone looking at his "backside" upon delivery of the ball, maybe it really is his shoulder bothering him --I only say this because his backside isn't all that much worth looking at

I've looked up bowling alleys in Vegas and I found one with 70+ lanes. I'm sure we'll go check it out when we're there next. My husband Rick and I are probably going to take the free learn to bowl class soon, we definitely need it.