Old 05-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/270/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Belly Fat Blues

I was diagnosed with diabetes II last December. Since then, I've been trying to manage it with Metformin, exercise, and weight loss. I've gone from an all-time high of 340 to today's 270, and seen good results in my BG results (not perfect, but moving in the right direction...)

My greatest frustration is that I've lost weight from every part of my body EXCEPT my tummy. I'm beginning to look distinctly pregnant. I used to be a "pear" but the insulin resistance has turned me into an "apple." My breasts are pathetic, turning into floppy little deflated balloons, while my belly is hard and unresisting.

As I continue to lose weight, will my belly fat start to go? Will it just be the last to go? I need some encouragement and advice...
bellestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #2  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Your age could have something to do with it, especially if you are post-menopausal. I can attest to the fact that you collect more belly fat at this age, and it is about 100 times harder to get rid of it than when you are younger. I have the same boobie problem, and I look more like an apple than ever. I take insulin injections, and use my belly for shots, so I have a triple whammy in trying to lose fat there. "They" say aerobic exercise is the best way to lose belly fat, but I think "they" have never been fat or over 60.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Congratulations with your weight loss!!! Sad to say, but there's no telling what order your weight will come off. Have you measured your stomach? You're probably losing more than you realized. I'm an apple too (insulin resistant) and I totally understand the frustration! It will eventually burn off. Just keep at it, you're doing a wonderful job!!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

That is where i ALWAYS lose last. I am also insulin resistent and i had no idea that had anything to do with it. Bummer. Why does insulin effect where your fat sticks around?
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh boy do I hear you . . . I've been type II for about 15/16 years and using insulin (as well as a bunch of oral meds) . . . I've lost 55 pounds and about 8 inches off my hips and only 2 - 3 inches off my waist (we won't even discuss the poor shrivelled up little boobs). Every pound I lose I seem to become more apple-shaped.

But look on the bright side . . . every pound we lose makes us healthier 'apples'. . . Keep things moving and shaking, Chickie . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #6  

CARBS was my biggest tummy weight. I noticed when i cut them down at night it is now slowly going away!!!
akgurl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Insulin injections are a real pain. I take 4 at least everyday as a type one diabetic.

The reason your tummy is the target area, is because when you take the insulin, it utilizes the sugar you've taken in, if you have any left over, it starts to store fat mostly in your tummy.

And a hard tummy comes from insulin resistance. If you feel a hard patch under the skin on your tummy, it means that the insulin isnt being absorbed properly. I'm young still, 19, and I am having issues losing weight only in my tummy area. My legs, back, lovehandles etc all slim down, but my tummy is the last to go.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Yes, my tummy is always last to go, too!

Heh... I have a friend who is super fit (but also diabetic) and STILL has a little bit in the way of love handles/lower stomach pudge, because she's been taking injections in her stomach area (mostly) since she was 4.

Anyone else ever tried using their arms? Arms are a good spot because (generally), there's a lot less fat there. I know you're supposed to inject in a place where you have the MOST fat (that could be butt and thighs, too, but I know some people don't want to perform a strip tease just to take a shot...), but arms seem like a sensible switch-up. I do realize scar tissue can build there, too... anywhere that you keep injecting, scar tissue can build up... but I'd rather have scar tissue on my arms than my stomach, wouldn't you?
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post

Anyone else ever tried using their arms?

I actually cant reach o.o; I use a flex pen, so if I give in my left arm, I cant reach over or around to hit the plunger! lol

I've known people who just jab themselves through their denim or bluejeans. pants, etc, and I've had a nurse tell me that there's no problem doing that!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra View Post
I actually cant reach o.o; I use a flex pen, so if I give in my left arm, I cant reach over or around to hit the plunger! lol

I've known people who just jab themselves through their denim or bluejeans. pants, etc, and I've had a nurse tell me that there's no problem doing that!
Oooh. I've seen the pen thingies before, but never used one... nor have I used a pump, but that's because the idea of something attached to me 24/7 is really less than appealing.

I was always taught that it was proper procedure to do the cotton swab thingy before injecting... and I'm actually anal enough to bother! There have been a few times when I've jabbed myself through jeans, though - anything to avoid my stomach, really. I don't want to develop fat deposits and/or scar tissue in a spot where I want to grow a 6 pack
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #11  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

When I'm older if I have to go on insulin I will inject in my bum in hopes that it gets rounder! LOL *sigh* I have a big, but flat, bum. The idea of shots to "round" it out is funny.

Seriously, I've noticed weight loss signs everywhere but my stomach so far. When I lost 40 lbs a year after having my son it was the same thing, everything but the gut changed. Bites big time. Heh, I just remember that I always did my shots (for GD) there cause I was told it absorbs best there. Hmm, wonder if that caused the round belly?
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #12  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

Since I started to manage my diabetes I've lost weight. My legs which had tons of cellulite are now smooth as a baby's behind but my belly and stomach hasn't changed much because I've been doing a lot of walking and the stomach muscles aren't used.

I've now started doing some stomach crunches and torso rotations to strengthen the muscles so I won't have as much "chach" hanging about.

You can look up stomach exercises on the web and they can be done at home. They are very hard at first but once the muscles get strong the will get easier.

Good luck.
RaffaellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:38 AM   #13  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

Ugh, belly fat. I have always been an Apple and am even more so since 'betes T2 was diagnosed in '03. I have to buy huge pants to fit around my waist and then they bag in the bum. I'll keep the insulin thing in mind should I ever have to use it (Metformin/Glyburide right now).

Last edited by ShootingStar; 07-28-2007 at 01:44 AM.
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #14  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I have exactly the same problem with pants.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #15  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

I didn't get belly/stomach fat till I hit 300lbs. Now that I'm losing the stomach seems the last to go. I've got to do more of the stomach exercises. Maybe this will work.
RaffaellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote