Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Default Breaking the cycle

Hello all,

I just wanted to share how absolutely satisfying it is to sit and watch my 7 year old daughter eat a totally healthy, whole foods lunch. I am loving that i started her young on healthy eating habits. I guess that sounds obvious but i was raised with terrible eating habits, my parents just didnt make healthy eating a focus and my over indulgent grandparents were even worse, where food is concerned.

I suppose this post is just to rejoice in the fact that i am doing what i can to break the cycle of poor eating habits. My daughter, Olivia, wanted to make her own lunch today. So i let her. I got a lot of joy from watching her pick through the fridge and i smiled at her choices.

She chose:

a pickle spear
strawberries
blueberries
cucumber (dipped in ranch)
soy chips
a couple of small cubes of cheddar cheese
light soy milk

So yeah for her. Comparing that to MY childhood lunches. I am very happy about it.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #2  

Come on now.

Why are people reading this thread but nobody is replying? Are her choices not as good as i thought?

I grew up on speghetti o's and bologna sandwiches, so i thought she did pretty well.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I think it's pretty good! (Except for the "Ranch" )

I know what you mean. I am also very happy to know my daughter (14 years old) eats such healthy food. She eats much the same as I do right now, only she's allowed "extras" like more nuts and seeds, oils and starchy foods.

I think it would be cool to have a thread where we posted what we feed our children because as you have said, it is so important that they learn healthy eating habits and not eat all the processed, high sugar and fat crap that is marketed towards children today, or they may end up with health and weight issues!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #4  
RosieKate

I think it's great! It's really hard to change the habits you grew up with.

I wish my kids liked a wider variety of veggies...we are always working on that one. My Picky blog in my siggy is all about what you are trying to do, Stacy. I am trying to lose weight and feed a family of picky eaters...it's quite a challenge and I applaud your efforts!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #5  

Feeding your family healthful meals, as well as living an active lifestyle, are some of the best motivating factors in changing to a healthy lifestyle I think.

I am working on this myself (can't quite call 1 week a "lifestyle" yet, but I have many years of failed stops and starts from which to glean knowledge).

Anything I think that takes the emphasis off the numbers and puts it onto the truly valuable things (like being able to be active with your kids or not being dperessed b/c of your weight) I like to think will "work better."

Of course - my 2 yo had nothing but saltines for dinner last night - so who am I to talk?! (I had chicken, home-made onion rings (ww) and home-made fries, though)

Now why'd you have to go and mention bologna!? Yumm..................
Stl Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

That's excellent! I wish my 7 yr old would make choices like that! I haven't tried letting him make his own lunch...wonder what he would choose? I may have to try that.

My mom fed me fried spam sandwiches. They were good. Wonder where I got my eating habits?

My son is definitely starting to show some palatte changes though...he enjoys healthier food some. He has always been extremely picky though.
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #7  

Well thanks guys for your responses. It is just so important to me that my kids learn early that health is something that is important and worth effort. She has a love of exercise too. Which is awesome. Her favorite (besides her cheerleading class) is doing a pilates DVD. Was i ever that limber?!?!?! ha ha