Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #1  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up Quitting Smoking.

I was going to join some quit smoking forum, but I said..what do I need to do that for? There are a bunch of amazing ppl on 3fc that can help me through this..so..here goes the post I was going to put on the other site..

I am on my 2nd day without a cig, and It's really hard. I feel like I am going to go absolutely BONKERS. But, I am trying to get through it. This is my third time trying, and yanno what they say..third time is a charm. hah.

I was watching a movie with some friends the other night, The Butterfly Effect...and there was this woman on there..and she was in the hospital DYING from LUNG CANCER..because..she smoked for 14 years. Here I am turning 23 in a few months, and I've been smoking for SEVEN years already. I decided that I don't want to go through the pain that that actress was acting out..she was so pale..and was on oxygen..and that night I had this hacking cough and my lungs were hurting, etc. I just don't want to go through that. So, that's my reason..I want to be able to breathe better, and I want to live longer. And also, save money.

Support from you all would be great. I am starting to go through what they call the "Quitters Flu"..and it's awful.

Oh, and I am really tired of chewing gum...so..if anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome. I have almost gone through three packs of gum. lol..
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

How about sugar free lollipops, or sugar free Popsicles? You can do it!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Good for you tackling smoking in conjunction with weight loss. If you can get your hands on some reading material about smoking and the brain, it might help you understand what you are going through. (I think You on a Diet even has some information in it) Just take it minute by minute...and I have heard many times that exercise helps a lot......fresh air, a walk. I hear it gets a little bit easier day by day......just think of those changes that have happened in your body already.......the carbon monoxide is gone, your breath is better! Hang in there.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #4  

I smoked for 10 years and spent about the last 5 quitting! I quit for good though a couple years ago (age 29). The following website helped me tremendously: www.whyquit.com.

It has a "scary" section, a "support" (interactive) section, and an "education" section. I found the education section very helpful and interesting. I learned a lot about the psychology of addiction which I try to implement with dieting.

Good luck!

Stl Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #5  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

That's a great idea, thanks! I will have to get some tomorrow. By that chart down below..tomorrow is going to be R-O-U-G-H! Whew! I've been 8 days without smoking the last time I quit, and that chart is very accurate. lol. Day 3 & 7 are the hardest...by far..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY View Post
How about sugar free lollipops, or sugar free Popsicles? You can do it!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #6  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

I have that book, Mary. I will take it a look at it in a bit. Guess I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet. lol.

Exercise and water have helped me today. I had to take my Mom to the DR because she has a migraine..and she had to get a shot. While I was waiting I played a game or two of mahjong on my phone..and then I decided to not sit around and do nothing..so I got out and walked and kicked rocks. haha. Ate a healthy portioned dinner...had a lot of water..settled my stomach..burned 200 calories on DDR..and then took Dixie on a walk...which turned into a jog/run. MAN WAS IT NICE! I COULD BREATHE!!!!!!!!! hahaha. I was still out of breath at times, but I'll be that way for awhile until a lot of the gunk is gone from my lungs and until I lose more weight..but man..I love it. I feel so free when I run...heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryblu View Post
Good for you tackling smoking in conjunction with weight loss. If you can get your hands on some reading material about smoking and the brain, it might help you understand what you are going through. (I think You on a Diet even has some information in it) Just take it minute by minute...and I have heard many times that exercise helps a lot......fresh air, a walk. I hear it gets a little bit easier day by day......just think of those changes that have happened in your body already.......the carbon monoxide is gone, your breath is better! Hang in there.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #7  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Congrats on quitting!

It's extra rough for me because I take care of my Mom during the day, and she smokes like a freight train. I am going to hang in there though. She told my GF last night that if I was quitting she would quit. Let's hope! She's been smoking almost 40 years. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl Nell View Post
I smoked for 10 years and spent about the last 5 quitting! I quit for good though a couple years ago (age 29). The following website helped me tremendously: www.whyquit.com.

It has a "scary" section, a "support" (interactive) section, and an "education" section. I found the education section very helpful and interesting. I learned a lot about the psychology of addiction which I try to implement with dieting.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Musik -- just want to say POWER TO YOU, girl. My hubby quit last year using Chantix and really had great success. He recently confessed that he's been sneaking a couple every few days when he gets stressed and is considering another round of the Chantix. He had tried and quit and totally restarted at least 5 times before trying the chantix. Good luck to you!!!!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #9  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

I have read and heard about that medication. Must really work. But, I don't have the moonlah to fork over to go see the doctor AND to get the medication. So, I will do it the old fashion way, cold turkey. lol.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 PM   #10  

Yes, it WAS expensive. I quit cold turkey, but it's been about 15 years. I'll be pulling for you... YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

A coworker of mine who smokes like a chimney was put on wellbutrin to quit smoking for surgery, and she said it works like a charm.

Good for you for quitting, Brooke! I don't have much to add, unfortunately, just wanted to put a little out there for ya.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #12  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

Thanks, Claire. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Yes, it WAS expensive. I quit cold turkey, but it's been about 15 years. I'll be pulling for you... YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 05-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #13  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

LOL. I appreciate the pom poms and such, Dana. You can never have too many cheerleaders in this type of situation. haha.

Oh, and Claire? Have you ever had a craving or wanted to start back up again in the past 15 years? I am worried that all this work will be for nothing, and later on down the road I might pick it back up again. =/
Old 05-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #14  

Yes, I must confess. I quit solidly for probably close to a full year. Then started having a social cigarette or two occasionally when I was out and had a little too much to drink. I never picked the habit up again, but for years I would do the light 'social' smoking (sometimes that would be just a couple drags off a friend's cig). Now that I don't drink much anymore, that has pretty much died out. I did smoke one about 6 months ago when I was out and yes, I had been drinking. I can still remember how icky it tasted -- thankfully, I just do not enjoy them anymore. It's true what people say that after you quit just the smell of smoke is a real turn off. For me, having a buzz was the only exception to that. If you drink, I would advise you to totally avoid drinking, and for that matter BARS, until you have quit for a while. At least for me, that was critical.

By the way, congrats on your awesome weight loss! Wow... 62 lbs!!! I remember when I first came on here back in December, you and I had a few conversations (I believe about salad dressing and/or maybe Trader Joe's?). Anyway, it looks like you are doing great on your weight loss! Keep up the good work
Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 294/264/140

Height: 5'6"

I just wanted to poke my head in to say I am cheering for you! I need to quit smoking really really badly and haven't gotten there yet, but I've been keeping you in my thoughts!
khep is offline   Reply With Quote