UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #1  
Pumpkin

S/C/G: 234 lbs/135lbs!

Height: 6ft

Default Has anyone considered surgery in Europe?

Hello everyone!

Recently I confessed to my mother about wanting surgery to 'tidy up' the loose skin I've been left with post weight loss. I'll say now it didn't go down too well.
I've never been very close with my parents for many reasons. Anyhow, without her support, being too young to take out a loan (18) and very doubtful of my ability to get anything on the NHS; it looks like I may have to go abroad if I want this surgery (and also save up for ages).
I was wondering if anyone has, or knows someone who has gone abroad for surgery. Where they went, what it was like, and if you were covered for any further proceedures that may be needed to correct the surgery. I've been looking at places in Belgium, Hungary and the Czech Republic.

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I tried reading the forum but there's just so much! Any replies would be appreciated.

Luffs <3

Maizie
Maizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 164/161/130

Height: 5'8

I've not been through anything like that but I've seen a few documentaries on TV. There's a lot of reputable surgeons abroad that come recommended, and they're a lot cheaper than private practices here in the UK. You've just got to be very careful and do a lot of research on finding a really good surgeon. If you can, like a lot of people on TV shows have, you should have a successful and safe surgery. Obviously there's a lot more legal issues to do with insurance, if something goes wrong, etc, but you're being very careful by asking around so good luck if you decide to go ahead
ABitOnTheChubbySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I have even heard of sugery-holidays. Like destination surgeries where one makes a whole vacation of it recooping at a spa hotel, ect. (because you wouldn't want to be flying/taking a train/driving, ect. after surgery. You would need to stay I would imagine (depending on the surgery) for a few days at LEAST because the surgeon has to do some post-op care to make sure you are healing well and unless you can get immediate follow-up care with a surgeon under NHS then you would probably have to make a week holiday of it or something.

There are companies (don't know how reputable) that make a business of coordinating all of this for the customer.
I am sure that there are great surgeons and health care to find abroad---- but I, personally, would draw a line when it comes to going to a 3rd world country (that doesn't have stringent healthcare standards) without medical professionals who speak English (as that is kind of important when you are trying to tell the doc how you are doing, ect). Call me a snob or arrogant--- but that is how I feel.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/patien...al-Tourism.cfm

Here is some information about Medical Tourism.

I couldn't find the same information on the BAPRAS site.

http://www.bapras.org.uk/
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #5  
Pumpkin

S/C/G: 234 lbs/135lbs!

Height: 6ft

Thankyou shrinkingchica, that's very kind of you.
I managed to hunt down a few forums on cosmetic surgery specifically, so looks like I'm ready to start searching, I just need to be careful not to end up going to a poorly qualified surgeon!
Thanks again.
<3 Luffs
Maizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I'm planning on moving to England within the next five years and have been saving up. I also am in need of surgery to remove some excess skin as well (which also requires a great deal of money). I had been wondering (haven't looked into anything too extensively yet) whether to get the surgery here in the USA before moving or get the procedure after my transition to the UK.

From this post, it sounds like I would do better to find a doctor here. I wasn't sure how prevalent cosmetic surgery was in the UK; I hadn't thought that traveling abroad for this kind of surgery would be so prevalent. If anyone has any additional insight, I'd appreciate it.

It would be nice not to have to wait so long to get my body how I want it, but it would put my moving plans on hold since the procedure would set me back financially. Either way, it will still be close to a year before I'm confident enough (meaning I could adequately maintain my goal weight without my usual crazy fluctuations) to get the surgery.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote