Old 05-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #1  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Default A non-doctor doctor's appointment...

So, I don't normally start threads, but just had to get in here and rant a bit. To anyone who may have read this in my response on one of the support threads, bear with me. Everyone else too, this will be long, sorry.

I had a doctor's appointment on Thursday here at the Navy clinic. I just wanted to get a general check-up, and make sure no outside factors are affecting me and causing me not to lose weight. I've been running 10-15 miles a week now, and adding mileage, and also really being careful about what I eat, and how much of it. I'm not always perfect, but definitely enough that my weight should at least stay steady, with maybe a small loss. Instead, it is going up, and the one week that I didn't run because of shin splints, even though I ate right and still walked everywhere with my kids, I gained 10 lbs. In a week! My measurements aren't going down either. So, on to the visit. I was taken for vitals by a corpsman, who asked why I was there, etc. Then he commented on my really good blood pressure, and lack of other health complaints. Okay, so I'm a really healthy fat person. I know this. He takes me into the exam room and says the doc will be with me in a minute. Then lo and behold, who comes back in, but the corpsman. The doc doesn't want to see me.. I need to eat less and exercise more, so he's gonna take me over to the nutritionist and that's that. WHAT???? He can't even come in to tell me himself? Ask if I have any other concerns, or what has prompted me to come in?

On the brighter side, the nutritionist does ask all the pertinent questions, and says that she will find a doc to order the bloodwork if I bring in my food diary and running log on Thursday to prove that I'm doing all I can on my end.

Sorry for the long post, but I am still dumbfounded by the fact that I'm TOO HEALTHY for the doc to see me. I'm over a hundred pounds over weight, I've obviously got some concerns if I'm at the doctor's office right? AARRRGGH.

Have a great night all..

Dee
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #2  

Dee,
I am sorry that happened to you but it sounds as though you have a good attitude about it...seeing the nutritionist and all. I am sure it will be helpful! I, too, have no secondary problems which I think is wonderful as you and I have only one issue (big issue...but only one!) to deal with. Let us know how it goes with the nutritionist - I am thinking about seeing one myself!

Good luck to you and God bless!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #3  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Dee, that totally sucks about the Navy doc. And really, shouldn't he of all docs have the guts to come in and tell you yourself? I'd be so PO'd about it. BUT, it's great that the nutritionist is on the ball and going to get you those blood tests. you've been doing things right; I totally understand how frustrating it is to not see a drop in weight.

Good luck with it all!

And BTW, that wasn't a long post at all!

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Interesting...

First, I am surprised because he should still be checking to see if you have any "closed door" doctors questions -- the questions you would be too embarrassed to tell the corpsman so you're waiting for the "real" doctor. That's really unprofessional.

Second, I'm shocked he didn't give you the battery of thyroid tests or at least do some bloodwork.

However, I will give him props for sending you to a nutritionist and not just giving you xeroxed copy of the food pyramid. I have seen MANY doctors who have never been fat but seem to think if I just "found some willpower" I could be thin in no time. Let's give him a little credit for realizing that he's not got a clue about weight loss and hope that your nutritionist has a better idea on how to help you.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #5  
back on track, again!

True Goddess Jessica, I did think about that... at least he didn't just say eat less exercise more, now leave..... lol. I've had that one too. The fact that he didn't even come in the room was the most shocking part. But he probably isn't feeling too good about that, because the nutritionist outranked him, and she was looking pretty PO'd that he didn't at least talk to me after I took the time to schedule an appointment and show up. He probably got a good piece of her mind after I left.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #6  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Oh, I'm LOL at the idea of the nutritionist ripping him a new one! But maybe he knew the nutritionist would have a better idea of what to do for you, so he just "moved you forward", not thinking that he was skipping on anything?

Still, he should have had some sort of bedside manner! You know, like actually coming to your bedside....
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, with the experiences I had with military doctors, it doesn't surprise me. I had a few good doctors when I was under military insurance but they were civilians. The ones that were actually in the military were pretty scary.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Angry

Hi
I would report the doctor to the medical board, I took a CNA class, and this is no way for a doctor to act. You are there to see him, not to be told by someone else what to do without him even seeing you, I read this and my blood boiled . I am not familiar with how doctors work in the armed forces/navy, but I would think they need to adhere to the same rules.
At least the nutrionist sounds good, and hopefully you will find someone who actually cares about people. Please post an update on this, I would like to know what happens. cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I would definitely fight a bill for a doctor's appointment if you get sent one. I don't know how military insurance works but the only way I would pay a percentage or a copay or ANYTHING for a dr's service is if the dr actually saw me! If you aren't required to pay anything than I would go a step further and contact the insurance company and tell them you never saw the dr...they may not want to pay for that visit, either. If he quits getting paid for the "non-visits" maybe he'll sing a different song next time. I agree that it was great that he sent you to a nutritionist...but he certainly should have come in, closed the door, and dealt with you one on one.

(I'll bet he's the kind to break up with his girlfriend via email!)
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #10  
back on track, again!

unfortunately, down here we are very limited in dr. care. My kids and I actually had to go through a full overseas screening to come here, because according to the navy, Key West is medically isolated. Meaning that we see the clinic, which is free, but we don't get a whole lot of choice in who to see, and the ones that do come here don't usually come here to work very hard. I am going to talk to the patient advocate on Monday and let them know that I feel I should have at least been seen, as I was scheduled for that slot in any case.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

It is amazing to me that a doctor would do that, military or not. I just hope you get the tests that you want because it really sounds like you're doing everything right.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I work in a doctors office and that is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard of. Is there ANY way you can get a different doc? I woudnt trust that one with my dogs fleas. Good greif. Talk about presumptive. Sounds like a jerk. I am sorry, but that would not have worked for me AT ALL. That doc would have gotten a BIG earful.

To me, its not that you are too healthy for your doctor to see you, its that your doctor is either too lazy to do his job thoroughly OR he has a really bad attitude towards over weight people. There are any number of things that he could have checked. SHAME SHAME SHAME on him/her.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Honestly, with the experiences I had with military doctors, it doesn't surprise me. I had a few good doctors when I was under military insurance but they were civilians. The ones that were actually in the military were pretty scary.
Ditto! I spent six years in the Air Force and I loved almost everything about it...except for the medical care. Yes, its free....but, you definitely get what you pay for!! I'm so glad you did get referred to someone who seems to have a clue. From what you've described about your lifestyle, it sounds like you should be losing. I also had the same problem....on the treadmill for an hour each day.....and not strolling!.....following diets very very carefully and still not dropping a pound. My doctor at the time wanted to put me on diet pills! Argghhh....I was so angry with her. I finally found a doctor who did the right tests and found out that I'm insulin resistant and had adrenal fatigue. The nurses in the doctor's office recommended Southbeach and it was my solution. I share this with you as encouragement....there is a reason why you're body isnt cooperating with your weight loss efforts. Be persistent...you will find answers.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Wow that is just Wow. I'm at a loss for words. It sounds like the nutritionist is pretty good though. I hope you get the further testing you need.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #15  
back on track, again!

Default update, with more to come tomorrow.

Got a call from the nurse/nutritionist today. She had the Lovely no-show doctor put the labs in the computer system for me, so when I go to my appointment with her tomorrow, I can go get the labs drawn. Woo hoo.. I'll let you all know how the appt with her goes, and the results from the labs when I get them.. thanks for the support

Dee