Old 05-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Cool Yoga

I am thinking about attending a yoga class and was wondering... is it practical or even possible being so overweight? I realize how this question sounds and think that I could only ask it here...(thanks for that, btw!) Has anyone ever tried yoga at the beginning stages of their weight loss? Thanks for the input!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Yes, absolutely!! i love yoga, and i can't say enough good stuff about it. The classes vary immensely, though, so go to a few to get a taste of the instructor's style and the energy level required. Sure, there will be some poses that are difficult, and some that you might just not be able to do due to weight/stomach/etc... but a good instructor will never make you feel threatened by this. And there's nothing quite like contorting yourself into a pose that you never thought you'd be able to do, like plow!! I just got there a few weeks ago and wow, it was a thrill!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #3  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I have a good friend who specialized in yoga for the pregnant/ weighty/ joint-impaired; it's tailor-made for those of us who aren't physically confident.
She got me into full headstands, supported between chairs, and some other tricky stuff that I never expected to do. That was at my fullest weight, and she had me quite agile and feeling very good about my body. You don't realize what an asset that can be, unless you've developed self-destructive eating habits precisely because you've lost all faith in your body!
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #4  

Height: 5.6

I have a Rodney Yee dvd that I love!

It is definitely possible and I like starting my morning with him...
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Another vote for "YES", yoga is possible and very beneficial for us larger folk! It helps with balance, agility, flexibility, allows us to be in our body and relax more easily!

Try to find someone who specializes in working with larger and/or injured people as they will likely be more supportive, educated about your needs and comfortable in working with a woman of size.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 246/205/137

Height: 5' 6"

Yeah, I'd even say it is a better thing to start off on, because it builds your confidence. I could barely do much when I first started, but if you have a good instructor, they won't make you feel awkward about it and just encourage you to aspire to the next hardest move. Plus it builds up your muscles and helps with your balance (seriously, a few times I would have tripped and fell if I hadn't taken yoga) so it helps when you move on to different exercises, like maybe an aerobic class. I don't know about you, but whenever I tried to do aerobics, I felt horribly awkward because I was just clumping around while everyone else moved light on their feet. Don't realy have that problem as much any more, and not because I lost a ton of weight!
Fooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #7  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi there,

I love yoga! But I am not confident enough to go to a studio yet so I have a dvd for home.

It is called "Just My Size Yoga" with Meagain Garcia

I love it!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #8  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Go for it!

I just added a weekly yoga/Pilates (more yoga than Pilates, I think) class to my workout plan. For me, it's the instructor that makes the class. She definitely knows what she is doing, however, isn't afraid to admit when she is having difficulty maintaining a pose, etc. There are certainly things that I can't fully do right now, but it doesn't take away from my experience.

Also, this might sound silly, but after the first week, I started wearing more fitted clothes to the class (nothing extreme, just a t-shirt and shorts rather than a sweatshirt and long pants), and it has helped me to focus on different body parts and, hopefully, improve my form. I have also noticed that everyone else in the class is completely focused on themselves and don't seem to notice or care what others are doing (or not doing!).

~Laura
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #9  

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading lately that stretching is an intrigal part of your workout so I am trying...anyway, Laura I don't think you are being silly I think you are following your needs and that is fabulous that you recognize the benefit to you wearing more fitted clothes. I love the idea of videos - of course I didn't think of that before - and this morning I TIVO'ed a 'basic strength' yoga program so I am psyched about that! I will let you all know how it goes (I think the next program is tomorrow a.m.).

Have a great day...
Old 05-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

If you have access to FitTV there is a great yoga workout every morning called "Namaste Yoga". It can be really challenging for those of us who are just beginning but I just hold the positions I can while they move into poses I am not ready for. They change it around so each day you're getting something completely different. I TIVO it every day. Somedays I do it and others I don't but I like knowing that it's available.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #11  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

OVE YOGA. I also subscribe to FitTV so I can usually find a work out of different kinds 24/7. I do use alot of DVD's and a great beginners yoga one is Yoga for Beginners/Elderly. I dont remember who does it as I rented it from the Library but I loved it. If you cant find an instructor you click with or who you feel comfortable with, use your local library. If they dont have it, they can order it from other libraries. Good luck!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #12  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Thumbs up Absolutely!

I love yoga! I took it at the Y when I first started years ago, but moved to DVDs. There are a few out there that are tailor-made for the tight-jointed/beginners/elderly/pregnant. Any of them would be good, but I can recommend two specifically, as I have them at home.

One is by a company called Giam (might be Living Earth or something now), but the DVD is called Yoga for Weight Loss. I love this DVD because it has 5 women (the teacher and 4 women to demonstrate the levels of agility). You can choose to watch all of the women together, or just choose the one for your level. The Fully Modified version is the beginner's starting place, and it's just great. The teacher's name is Suzanne Deason (might have spelled her name wrong).

The other DVD is called ... oh darn, I just forgot! But it's made by a large model for large women.

One thing I can suggest you do is to buy props--a yoga mat is necessary, because they are stickier than regular exercise mats so that your feet don't slip. Yoga blocks (bricks) will help you get the feel of a forward bend without overdoing it, and a yoga strap will help you stretch. I'd check on amazon and ebay and such to see if you can't get deals on the blocks/bricks and strap. The yoga mat you can pick up almost anywhere. None of these items is hugely expensive, and sometimes you can get a "beginner's kit" that has everything included.

Good luck!

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #13  

So here it is Sunday morning and I FINALLY tried yoga. It was quite refeshing, actually.

What I liked was:
  • It was very relaxing
  • Felt really good - all over!
  • Sounds weird...but it helped 'center' or focus me

What I didn't care for:
  • the instructor's voice really grated on my nerves (shallow, I know!)
  • the program was an hour long!!! I was expecting 10-15 minutes.

This was a Total Body Workout program that I had TIVO'ed. I changed my TIVO to record Namaste Yoga as you suggested, royalsfan, and am hoping that is better (it is only half an hour) and I like the idea of a video - there were a few suggested - so I might check that out next time I am at Walmart or Target.

Thanks again for your input...whew...I feel as though I have worked out already! Have a great day and God Bless!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #14  

BTW, Lynn, I checked out your blog. There wasn't a date on it but I assume it was recent. I love your goals - one day at a time! They are very realistic ~ you can do it!

I just recently began - again - as well and I was frustrated my ticker wasn't moving (funny in a sad sort of way, huh?!) so I added an exercise ticker to chart my time spent in cardio and have enjoyed watching it move. Okay, Okay...so, it is the little things that count! lol. Just for today...you can do it!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #15  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Default Thanks, Tonia!

Thanks, Tonia, for your comments about my blog. I think I'm finally getting it through my thick, stubborn skull, lol!

I do need to set up a ticker, both for weigt and exercise. I think seeing it will help motivate me. I'm going to try to set up some sort of tracker/graph thingie on my blog, too, to track weight, exercise, and measurements.

Oh, and I just re-read the thread, and the other yoga DVD I have that is for larger women is the one someone else recommended: Just My Size Yoga. I got that DVD on amazon.com.

And that centered feeling is something I LOVE about yoga. I get it every time. Without fail. No matter how long I practice that time. It's the BEST feeling.

Enjoy it!
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote