Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/300/130

Height: 5'4"

Default 6 pounds flucuation in 24 hours???

Argh!

I've been interviewing for professorship jobs here where I've recently moved, and waiting for responses from a couple of second interviews. I've been stress eating a bit, granted, but still trying to be good.

Monday, I finally had the courage to weigh myself (about two weeks or so). No weight lost since last time, but no weight gained either. Good news.

I know that we're only supposed to weigh ourselves once a week at the most, but I couldn't help myself. I started back on the good stuff in a very tangible way on Sunday. ANd I'm trying to get more comfortable with just stepping on the scale and seeing the numbers.

Monday, 285. Good. None lost, none gained.
Tuesday, 279. ummm, I knew I was being good on Monday, but holy cow? tried it several times to make sure. Yep. 279.
Wednesday, 285 again. What the ****? I've been SO GOOD!

argh. Not used to this kind of fluctuation. Usually a couple of pounds from day to day. NOT SIX!!!

Discouraged. Frustrated. Stressed.

Sorry, just venting, I guess, but unaccustomed by such huge weight ranges from day to day.

Breathe in. Breathe out. =)
FilmGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/264/140

Height: 5'6"

I had the same issue recently, and posted a thread in this regard too. I feel you! I am elated (if not confused and a tad worried) when starting out I lose a lot of weight (in one instance a couple years ago, 15 pounds in 2 days, I had the staff at the gym confirm they had not changed the scale), and then I can easily 'gain it back' in just as little time, with no change to my lifestyle. The comments I received to my last post, offered that I should try to only weigh myself once a week if possible, so that I do not see these fluctuations (that will happen) and let them effect me on a daily basis. It's been tough. I haven't weighed myself since Friday, and I am itching to- but I am scared at the same time. Part of me worries that I haven't made progress- which the scale could reassure me about- but if I didn't, it's awful for my morale.

So yes, fluctuations happen, they're pretty normal. Try not to let the demons speak to you and you're doing great!
khep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/238/150

Height: 5'3''

You mentioned stress eating. Were you eating a lot of salty food? With that much of a fluctuation it could be water weight.
tndavis82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

It happens, water retention and also if I weigh at different times during the day, I can weigh something completely different.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

The scale can be your friend or enemy. If seeing daily fluctuations will freak you out and cause you anxiety, then put the thing away until it's time to weigh again. Even if that means burying it in your closet, locking it in your trunk, etc. Some people can handle and like to weigh daily to see how they progress. Others (like me) can become obsessed with that number and freak out when I know I've eaten well and exercise and not see a change or even see a gain. We have so many things going on inside our bodies at any given time including all the hormones that a 6 pound fluctuation in one day back and forth is very possible. Try not to let it get you down and instead focus on all the good things you are doing for your body.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #6  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

You might try taking measurements today, or even photos that show every little bump and fold, for future comparison. If you work on fitness, sometimes fat gets replaced by muscle, which will look similar on the scales but measure COMPLETELY differently! (Fat floats in water, muscle sinks - the difference in density is amazing.)
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Geeze, i am just relieved the no it is not just me. I do the same thing with fluctuating. Emotional roller coaster.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

I weigh myself in the morning before I eat or drink anything. Sometimes I'll weigh myself out of curiosity at the end of the day. The difference is anywhere from 4 - 9 lbs. I don't fret about it I know I drink lots of water and water is heavy. I go potty all night long and then I weigh the same the next morning as the day before. No big deal.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I weigh twice a day, too, mainly for curiousity purposes. I typically have a 2-3 pound difference but day to day can fluctuate for sure! Don't worry about it. You'll see the general downward trend if you start to chart it. I STRONGLY suggest doing that charting if you're going to weigh every day. It will help keep you sane.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #10  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Totally agree with Tricia. If you are going to weigh everyday, try to keep a chart. Once you see that downward trend, you will be so motivated.

Another thing, how old is your scale? I used to have a scale like that, where my weight fluctuated. I upgraded to a Tanita and I haven't had that happen much since.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 AM   #11  
Starting is half the task

S/C/G: 330/ticker/160

Height: 5'10

water weight is a pain. I only weigh in once a week, at the same time of day. It helps me from getting depressed over fluctuation gains.
Cokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #12  
No description available.

There is nothing wrong with weighing everyday, as long as it helps you meet your goals. Just be aware that there are fluctuations and look for trends. Don't let a number on the scale totally dictate your day (easier said than done, I know!).

The scale weight reflects water retention, poop (sorry, but it is true), whatever clothes or shoes you have on (or don't).

Perhaps weigh daily if you want to, but always under the same circumstances. A lot of people weigh first thing in the morning, naked, with an empty bladder.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. So you would have had to ingest 21000 calories in one day to bounce up in fat that much.

Possible? Yeah, but I doubt it. So the scale is reflecting non-fat variables when it changes so rapidly.

Trends are more important than a certain number in time or space.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yes, my scales will often fluctuate from day to day...anywhere from 1 to 6 pounds. Just keep on your road....you'll get there!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I know! This happens to me too. Could it be TOM or salty food related? That's usually what it is for me... either 2 weeks or right before TOM... or if I have popcorn or chex mix or something like that, even if it is OP for the day.. I can usually tell if the scale's going to beat me up by looking at my fingers.. if they're swollen, it's salt related.

Try weighing every other day.. sometimes that helps. I go crazy weighing in every day and it does get discouraging.

Also, this might not help this specific situation, but I definitley recommend getting a scale that measures in .2 increments. That has helped me a LOT, as I am a pretty slow loser, so every .2 in the right direction has been encouraging.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #15  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I gain 6 pounds from morning to evening.
Also, in case you're wondering, my blue pj pants weigh 2 pounds where as my pink ones only weigh one pound. I gain 4 pounds taking a shower. Burping and peeing do not make a difference in my weight but brushing my teeth adds a pound (I think it's the water I drink).

In other word, it's normal and that's why you're only supposed to look once a week.

If you must look more than once a week, you need to write it down and average it at the end of the week. Or, better yet, put the scale in a closet and only pull it out on your weigh in day. It's too easy to hop on and off at any time if it's sitting on the flooring beckoning to you. I would also recommend doing the above before it wrecks your good intentions. If you're having a hard time now, you may be setting yourself up to fail later on when the scale doesn't say what you want it to and you decide to screw everything because it's "obviously not working."
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote