Old 05-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-4"

Default New to boards Starting new diet on Friday

Hi,

(I posted this on the Mediterranean and Sonoma Diet board too. It didn't look very active so I thought I would post here too)

I'm new to the boards, although I've regularly visited 3 fat chicks website for many years. I think I found their site not long after they started it. They do a great job. The wealth of information and support here is just amazing.

I was wondering if anyone has read the book Eat, Drink and Weigh Less by Walter Willet. I read his book Eat, Drink and Be Happy several years ago and really liked it. It just seems that it's the most basic, non gimmicky, healthiest way to eat. It just makes sense. So I was really excited when I recently learned that he published another book with an actual food plan.

I'm starting it on Friday (May 18th). I'm off that day and I thought it would be a good time to start something like that. I eat a lot of junk/fast food and I will be going cold turkey. I'm feeling afraid, nervous, dread and really excited. I know it will be hard, but I"m looking forward to how much better I hope I will feel.

I have a lot of health problems and I have 160lbs to lose. I have sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, my hair is falling out, I have daily headaches and tooth pain that I think is from the cpap I use for the sleep apnea. I'm starting to have some serious stomach problems from all of the ibuprofen and tylenol I take for the headaches and tooth pain. I have siatica, and foot problems. I recently had some orthodics made for my shoes. I take medication for the diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol, plus an iron supplement for low feritin. I had my feritin checked a little over a year ago and it was 8. I'm hoping that is why my hair is falling out, and by getting that corrected it will grow back. I'm depressed and exhausted all of the time. I think all of the side effects from all of the medications effect how I feel too. I never go any where except for work and the occasional family get together/holiday. I'm just too embarassed and quite frankly too exhausted to much of anything.

Going on this food plan feels extreme to me, it may not for some, but it does to me. But I feel like I need extreme given the state of my health. So I'm really hoping that by doing this I will improve my health. My biggest goal is to get off all medications and that darn cpap. I hate that thing. I think I would feel so much better if I could just get off the medications.

Sorry this is so long. I didn't plan on it when I started. I guess I'm just hoping to connect and get support/give support, with others who are trying to follow a whole foods way of eating and who can relate to where I'm starting from.

P Sophie
Princess Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Talking

Welcome Sophie!! I think you are doing a great thing for your body and congratulate you for wanting to be healthier. I am not familiar with the books you mentioned, I am sure there are people here who are, and can help with anything. I just count calories and and move, so far it is working. I am sorry about your health problems, and I am sure loosing weight will help alot. I look forward to reading your post and sharing in your joy as the pounds come off and your health slowly improves. You can get alot of great motivation, by reading these people's posts; Alot of people here have lost a great amount of weight, and I figure I am no different than they are, if they can do it so can I and so can you!!! So please keep on posting and good luck on your weight loss!
Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Sophie
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #4  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Sophie!

This is a wonderfully supportive group who will cheer you on, offer you encouragement when you need it, and give you lots of hugs when things really turn to custard!

Looking forward to hearing more about you!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome Sophie. I am sorry to hear of all your medical woes. Losing weight should surely reduce lots of the problems you are suffering from.

I don't think what your doing sounds extreme. I think it sounds necessary. You will be pleasantly surprised that by elminating the foods you crave the most, going cold turkey, that after 2 -3 weeks or so, you will no longer want them. Hang in there and give it your all those first few weeks. They may be difficult as you adjust to a new way of eating. But before you know it you will be feeling much, much better and what once seemed difficult, won't seem so bad at all. You will wonder, like we all do why you didn't do it sooner. This has been a great adventure for me. The rewards are just so, so great that they outweigh the so called sacrifices by miles and miles. Good luck to you. And YES, you most absolutely, positively CAN do this. I am certain of it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #6  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the serious losers board, Sophie! We are all finding (and giving) lots of support, information and advice here, like many have already said. I've heard that the sleep apnea does get better; with something like every 15 lbs lost you can expect some improvement. Some of us have had similar medical problems at our highest weight, and it's quite right to start losing weight using WHATEVER works. Of course, sooner or later we all have to change our lifelong habits, so as to maintain our healthiest weights!

Robin is on a lot, and is our moderator. She has a set of weight loss goals similar to yours, and as you can see she's almost to the maintenance phase. Several other people have already got there, and pop in from time to time. It can be done, you have the right instincts about giving yourself a full day to focus on the start, I think you'll get there too! Remember to keep posting no matter what, lots of us have gotten through the "life happens" parts by staying with this wonderful community!
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Welcome, Sophie!

Thanks for such an honest and genuine post. I'm sure there are many on this board who are or who have been right where you are now! We all have our own specific problems that are weight-related and the only way to correct that is to lose the weight! Duh! It sounds so simple but trust me when I say that I know it isn't. So you've made a huge first step by coming on here and putting it in black and white. That takes courage and determination for sure! I know actually typing in my beginning weight was AWFUL for me. But it was GREAT incentive to make it change!!!

So, jump right in. We're really glad you're here!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #9  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Height: 5'4"

, Sophie!

Best of luck as you begin your journey. This is a great place to start!

~Laura
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #10  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

Hi Sophie!
This is an excellent group to get honest opinions and great support from. There's always activity, I know I check in a couple of times a day. So holler if you need motivation Friday. Going cold turkey is tough at first, but so worth it. Thats the way some of us have to do it, and I agree with Robin...the cravings do go away.
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Welcome Sophie! Read lots and post often! You'll find lots of support here!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Sophie! So glad you decided to join us.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #13  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! You will be simply amazed how you will feel when you get the pounds off. This is a great place...!!! Good luck to you and go get 'em!
Jan
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #14  

Height: 5'-4"

Hi,

Thank all of you for your kind words, encouragement and inspiration. I feel so much better all ready and I haven't even started my food plan yet. One of the things that has always been missing when I've started a new diet, (I hate to use the word diet, because this is so much more than that) is support. I'm alone a lot. I live alone, never married, no children and because I've isolated so much, I don't really have any friends. So I am just thrilled to see so many responses to my post.

I'm going to the grocery store right after work today to buy all of the fruits and veggies I will need to start my new way of eating tomorrow. I'm nervous, but more than anything I'm just looking forward to feeling better and hopefully get rid of this foggy, fuzzy, numb head feeling.

rockinrobin - I saw your before and after pics. Wow! That's amazing. I'm just sitting here dreaming of when I will have lost 130lbs. How much better I will feel.

Thanks again everybody. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

Sophie
Princess Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote