Old 05-12-2007, 05:34 AM   #1  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Question A very strange question!!

Hey there once again guys,

I have a strange question. The reason why it is strange is because I don't think I should be asking it so EARLY in my weight loss journey.

Is it possible to plateau two weeks into the weight watchers programme? I mean I've been looking at other peoples posts and they all start plateau-ing after they've lost like 35 pounds and have 10 more to lose. I know I must sound crazy lol and extremely impatient. I know I'm impatient but I just expected to lose a little more on the programme. On Tuesday I was 195... Wednesday I was 196 and I've been 196 since then. I just think it's interesting seeing that i've been sticking to the points perfectly. Anybody got any ideas? I thought maybe I'm retaining water but I don't eat that much salt and never add it to my meals. (lol and i know I shouldn't weigh myself every day but i'm a scale junky) thank you so much for your support!
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #2  
going thin

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'3

You can Plateau at any time on your weight loss journey. I know that the first few weeks when you are losing it is ussually many lbs. Then it starts to slow down. This is ussually because the first part is water weight. As long as you are following your diet, (oil, water intake, points) you should be fine. Do you excercise? If not you may need to add. I plateaued after a couple weeks and if took a couple to get back on track.
Tracy
stengel150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #3  

I don't really exercise I try to get at least 10 minutes of walking or dancing in a day. But I'm doing exam-prep at the moment so mostly stationary. I've been recording on fitday.com and it says my average number of calories I take in a day is 1300. I'm worried that it may be too low for what my body prefers. I don't really know to be honest. I figure I'm just being impatient especially because I know people who have "bad days" you know a good two days where they binge and they still lose while i've been stricter than strict... (i'm not really a binger anyways) I haven't fallen off the wagon once (I hope it stays that way) I get my fruit and vegetables in... and milk. One thing I do have a problem with is drinking enough water, I can usually get in a litre and a half of water a day but its slowly going up.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #4  

You've been sticking to the points... are you drinking your water? Getting ALL of your healthy 8 (including the oil)? There are lots of days I'm on POINTS but not on PROGRAM - that can make a big difference.

Don't give up... the scales don't move every week, it doesn't mean you're doing something wrong.
jenniferp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Your weight loss is going to fluctuate due to a thousand variables, and you're going to want to compare yourself to everyone else (though in reality you'll probably only compare yoursef to the fast losers). Until you've been at the same weight for a MINIMUN of three weeks, you shouldn't really consider it a true plateau. Try not to set the goal so high that you feel you're failing before you've even begun.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #6  

Kaplods... thank you so very much for the advice to be honest I would be happy if I even lost a quarter of a pound because at least I would be seeing the effort.

Stengel... What did you do to overcome the plateau?

And jennifer thank you for the support!!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

Seranab
I was reading one of your other posts, and thought you would like to have a look at these sites. wwcalculator.blogspot.com i first used this, i made a list of all the foods that I liked and made a template to remember the points. and also used www.journaltosuccess.com to track what I ate and any exercise points that I do. and my foods for the day.
Always. Always, write what you eat.
Good luck
Mary
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

sorry just read another one. I use scales from the hardware shop.
a friut should fit into your hand, a bit like a tennis ball. a block of cheese 3 pts (I think) is as big as a match box. A serve of meat should cover the plam of your hand, only the plam lol no fingers. 150grm potatoe is the same as the fruit. 1pt. that's about all I can remember.
Not a diet
a life style change
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've definitely been in the same spot. Praying before I got on the scale that I see SOME change in the right direction. It's kind of sad really, having a digital scale, trying to bargain with God for even a tenth of a pound.

It just doesn't always work that way. I still have trouble with "undeserved" weight gains. This week, is a prime example. I am retaining water terribly. I know it's water because my wedding ring is tight (and unless I'm retaining water, it's quite loose because of the weight I've lost so far), and besides my calories have been so low that a gain really isn't possible, yet the scale disagrees. Stupid scale!

It is so difficult to stay motivated and avoid frustration when trying to lose weight (and a lot easier to give advice than use it).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #10  

Yeah very very true. This morning I was the same my wedding ring was stuck... I really had to yank it off. And I have the same problem just before getting on the scales "please God please... just an icky bitty something" I guess he feels it isnt right for me yet. :P Silly me for being impatient. Also I think the problem is because I'm revising for exams I'm sitting at home ALL DAY which means I'm getting bored... which means I'm obsessing over my weight loss. When I'm out and about I'm never so compulsive. Ah well.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #11  
going thin

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'3

Don't forget stress can be a huge factor!!! EXAMS STRESSING YOU OUT? Could make a difference. Apparently it sends off some signals that puts your body into a panic mode as well to where it thinks you need to store fat! (JUST GUESSING AT THE STORING FAT PART)
Good luck this week and on exams!
Tracy
stengel150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #12  
banned

2 weeks? it prob means your not eating enough
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #13  

Andreaphilip do you really think so? My average calorie intake (just because I use fitday.com) is around 1300... but i read somewhere that for my height and weight it should be around 1500 to lose weight. I'm hoping that I'm not eating to little...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #14  
banned

its definitely possible....also are you getting enough healthy fat?
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #15  

I have at least a teaspoon of olive oil a day... anything else I should add? I drink about 3 litres of water a day, and some days I have fish... chicken or lean beef. I have at least one of those proteins a day. I eat pulses every few days and a slice of bread or two a day. I am losing now but it's extremely slow... (i know it should be) I was hoping to lose two pounds a week but its doing 0.5 - 1 pounds a week