WW Clubs and Groups - #182 Bale of Turtles Perservering!!

Itryharder
05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtles Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

Itryharder
05-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Dear Turtles,
I'm heading out soon for a weekend away. I started the new thread since we'd gotten long, but please check out the questions Ariana had since I know she needs some answers. As for me, I'm getting my head straight and chipping away at this weight.
Good luck to us all.
Bandit, Princess, Ariana, Kerri, and Peony--:grouphug: and :cheers:
Sometimes when we are most down is when we need to get on site and ask for help.
Judy

LaurenH
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Dear Turtles,
Sometimes when we are most down is when we need to get on site and ask for help.
Judy

Isn't that the truth! I finally rejoined WW (the "at work" program) last week and am determined this time to claw my way back again. I've kept off almost 40 of my original pounds, so at least there's that.

So good to see you still here, Judy. I'll check the other threads to see who else is still posting. I may not be able to post often, but I'll check in as often as I can. You all are the best.

Have a great trip, Judy, wherever you're going!

Onward and downward,
Lauren
274/236/DOWN!

Ariana2000
05-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? I did WI last night, and I maintained. That is annoying and frustrating, but I do know why -- I ate too much on Friday and Saturday. I still struggle with social eating, which is when I overate. At least I have gotten to the point where I don't gain from social eating, which is an improvement. I just have to work on eating out after working out (which is dangerous, but I often do just that with my friend Ellen -- it's the way to get social life and working out in on the same night) and eating at parties because I'm bored, and it's there, and everyone else is eating! I am thinking of some ways to compensate. I should bring veggies or fruit or something to the next party I go to. If I could fill up on those, it would be easier to resist other (higher point) food. And I need to do three things at sweet tomatoes (a local buffet, which I love) -- skip the caesar salad (a weakness of mine), skip the sugary drinks (go with a diet drink or unsweetened tea), only get a piece of bread in addition to the salad (they have tasty pizza, etc.) and get one desert, keep it small. I am getting better each time, but I still overeat when I go there. It's the hungry + buffet combination that seems to be fatal to my willpower. Ah well. It's a work in progress.

As a general note, I feel like sometimes I come off as -- well, not as sympathetic as I really am. I don't want to sound like an empty-headed leader who is overly optimistic. I may be having great long term success (which I am very proud of), but I understand that WL is a struggle for everyone, a great struggle -- but I firmly believe that everyone here *can* lose weight, and *will* lose weight if they commit to it, persevere and keep evaluating and changing their strategy when things go wrong. I have great faith in all of you. That's what I'm trying to impart. I'm sorry if it comes off any other way.

Now, for individual replies...

Princess: No, I don't mind that you ask, you need to know after all. I'm a 5'3", 27 year old, and a woman, of course. I use the 2nd newest slider -- the one right before the current one -- it only goes up to 4 points of fiber. I actually use a formula to calculate my points -- I've gotten to the point where I can do it in my head --

Points = Cal/60 + Fat/12 - (min(fiber grams,4)/5)]

One point less would be fine, I'm just curious about the points, and I really want to know my weight range. I know that it tops out at 130, but I don't know what it starts at.

Don't worry about not remembering the books today. Just let me know what it is when you bring them in. :D

Judy -- sorry you are so tired, but it's great to have you back. Re: "It's like coming home to old friends to read your posts." -- what a sweet thing to say! <Ariana beams> Enjoy your weekend! Thank you for the reminder to everyone, I am really curious about my goal weight range, I know my maximum weight, but wondering about my goal weight range has me very curious...

Okay, back to work. Take care, ladies!

Itryharder
05-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi Guys,
Guess what? My visit away was cancelled, but evidently my life doesn't enjoy a vacuum because now I can go visit the wedding photographer with my dd and dfsil (that's dear future son in law).

Lauren, so glad to see you posting here. Am thrilled you kept off so much weight. This is a struggle, but we can do the right thing and get it all in gear.
Take care, dear friend. :grouphug:

Ariana, I'm going to completely read your last posts to see if I can be of any help to you. Right now I have to get ready to keep my appointment, but I will address your questions. I can certainly give you the new info and will guess about the old--if that helps.

Bandit, Kerri, Peony, Princess, have a great weekend and chime in when you can. My eatings been erratic lately, but I'm back on today and have to lighten up my expectations while really dedicating myself to doing the right thing. That balance is tricky to achieve.
Judy

Princess1122
05-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Morning all! W/I on Saturday was ho-hum... down .6 but I will take it

Ariana: So sorry for the delay, I forgot to bring my book on Friday but I finally remembered today... Ok, I looked in the new book (Week 1) and I can not find the range table in it... but I also brought along the next to last one that I got when I joined last year... and I will give you those ranges now and look through that material that they gave us when the plan changed a few months back and see if it is in a seperate area of all the stuff they gave us.

For a person that is 5'3 your range is 113 to 135.... when you turned 26 your upper target weight raised to 135 but it will remain there until you turn 46 years old... that is out of the week 1 turn around program book... again, I will look through the rest of the material that they gave us a few months ago.

Hope it helps!
Susan

Princess1122
05-14-2007, 08:45 AM
More info for Ariana:

Ok here is the new points for you:

Female: 2
Your current weight (the first two digits) 15
(if that is not right you can correct it but I took a guess based on my very bad memory)
Height: 1
How you spend your day: Sitting down = 1 (Since you are a programmer I guessed as the next step up from this is basically standing all day

So add them all up and your total points allowance per day is = 22
+ your 35 flex point and activity points if you use them

Princess1122
05-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Update for Ariana: I made a mistake... when I looked at your last post at the bottom you have your stats and since you have 149 as your current weight then you would actually get 1 point less so your daily allowance is 21 instead of 22... sorry for the error...

Hope it helps and I will look for the newer weight range table info when I get home this evening.

Princess

Ariana2000
05-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? I had a good weekend, although it wasn't long enough. I bought a lot of new clothes with some great coupons at New York and Company, and get this -- I fit (comfortably!) into a pair of size 10 pants for the first time since 1997, maybe earlier. It was an awesome moment. :) Until very recently, the 12's were too big, but the 10's were too small -- and now they fit. How exciting! :D :D :D ::goodscale::

Judy: How was the visit with the wedding photographer? I appreciate any info that you can give me. Do you know why your eating has been erratic lately? When it comes to expectations, try and set small, reachable goals, and persevere, and you'll get where you want to go!

Lauren: Great to hear from you. How have you been? Hey, keeping off 40 pounds is a tremendous accomplishment! We are always glad to hear from you...

Princess: I appreciate the info, but I'm a bit confused. So, because I am a woman, 27 years old, and most of my day is sedentary, then my daily point total is 21 + 35 flex points, and my target weight range is 113 to 135? There was a lot of info there, so I just want to make sure I understood. And those numbers are from the second to last version of the plan? All of materials I have list point allowances in even numbers, so I must have an old version indeed. I'm sorry Princess, but can I ask you one last favor -- is 21 the lowest point allowance for my height, or does it go lower? If so, how much do I have to lose before I need to start using the new point amount? I am just trying to avoid paying the joining fee just to get the materials if I can avoid it, since I don't intend to go to meetings. Thank you for all of your help!

Lastly, I thought you guys might like to see an updated "after" picture -- here is my original before picture, and an updated "after" picture from about two weeks ago:

(The light is bad in the "after" picture, but it shows more of me. :D I have better pictures, but they were too big to attach -- you can see them at: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZsWzho2ZtGLW&notag=1 if you like.)

Anyway, back to work. Take care ladies, and have a great day!

LaurenH
05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Wow, Ariana -- size 10! That's terrific! You must feel like a million bucks!

{{HUGS}} for you too, Judy. So your daughter is getting married?? You must be excited/thrilled/tired/happy/sad ... when does she get married? Are you helping with all the details?

I've had a good week OP, and even wrote everything down. No matter what the scales tell me tomorrow, I'm proud of myself.

Onward and downward,

Lauren

Princess1122
05-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Ariana: Sorry about the confusion...
The calculation for the points actually came from the new book, they consider gender, height, weight, lifestyle etc... BUT they only ask what you are doing during your work day (sit, stand, etc. ) because you get the activity points for exercise so that would be over and above what you do during a normal day.

Now I was able to locate the new booklet that has the range chart in it... and it is different then the ones I gave you yesterday but on the max end of the range (I think) for a person that is 5'3 your range is 113 to 141 but they have a note on the side that says "Your weight goal does not have to be in these ranges, but should be above a BMI of 20"

As far as the uneven numbers: I agree, that thru me off when they first rolled this out but the deal is this... when you go below a "decade" (such as you go from 150 down to 148.5) then you have to drop one more point... they are doing it in 10 lb increments now. So if you are at 149 now, when you go below 140 you will drop another daily point... does that make sense? And the 35 flex points has not changed at all, you still get those every week.

The pictures are wonderful and you look awesome! Congrats on the size 10! I can't wait for that to happen to me :carrot:

All: not much new here... I really need to get out and start walking... I just feel like I have no time lately... Pilates three times a week and everything else... I need to make it a priority and just do it.

Hope all is well with everyone and Congrats to Judy - it will be a very exciting time for you and your family.

Princess

Itryharder
05-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi Turtles,
Lauren,
Yes, my dd is getting married in October. We are very happy for her. I like her fiance, they are happy together, and we hope they have a wonderful life together. She started to get stressed out about the wedding recently and I feel part of the reason is that she has her gown ordered and she has started gaining weight. Ugh. I feel so bad for her because I know part of the problem is genetics. I hope she can get up and over her stressors and lose some weight so she feels better. As far as the other stuff, we had a great Saturday. She and her fiance and I visited the photographer, made some good decisions, then went to the jeweler to order their rings, and then she and I headed to a shoe store with a great selection of dyeable shoes and were successful there too. I'm treading a fine line of trying not to be bossy, (very hard for me since my ideas are so good. LOL) and yet offering suggestions when I think they're needed. Great weekend!

Lauren,
I am very glad you caught your weight gain when you did and are applying yourself at work. Losing and keeping off weight is an indescribable struggle.
I have no idea, when I'm doing well, why I just throw out all the good steps I've taken and pursue old poor eating and exercise habits that can only lead to weight gain. I have never figured out why I do this, and hope that an epiphany enters my head soon because I'm getting tired of it! I wish you all the best and hope you chime in here when you can because you've got so many good ideas and great ways of expressing yourself. :bravo:

Princess, thanks for all the help for Ariana. :grouphug: I haven't had a minute to breathe in days! When my weekend plans got canceled, we had loads of visitors on Mother's Day. Then yesterday I was beat (still dealing with that) and yet found the energy to do housework and clean up the yard chairs, etc. Food was decent over the weekend. I am determined to keep on going and if I can, I'll get on the treadmill today to start up the exercise again. My WI is tomorrow and I am going for sure.

Ariana,
Wow! You look phenomenol. I remember when you were thrilled to get into size 12. Now you're in a 10. :cheer: Wow. Thanks for including your before and after photos. What a fabulous change. Keep up the good work. Hey, by the way, I know everyone here understands your good intentions and nature and we take your advice and apply it the best we can.
Keep it comin' Ariana. You've got great ideas and you're an inspiration.

BAndit, how are you doing?

Kerri, how's it going?

Okay, I'm onto a new bright day. Everybody keep on keepin' on.
Judy

Ariana2000
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? I'm doing pretty well today. I forgot to tell you guys about my weekend yesterday. I was pretty good Friday and Saturday as far as food is concerned, and I'm starving now, so I hope I'll be down tomorrow. Mostly I'm just jonesing for junk food. I had 1 (1!) chip from a friend's bag, and now I want more. Grr. I will eat some healthy pop 1-serving popcorn later, at least that's healthy, if I'm still craving it. Anyway, back to the weekend -- I saw Fracture, with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. It was quite good, if you like Law and Order, and that kind of thing. Sunday I started a new fleece quilt -- I'm getting frustrated with cotton, it just doesn't seem to turn out right, so I'm going back to fleece, only now I'm paper-piecing. This should be interesting. I hope. :o :)

Not much else is new, so on to your individual posts...

Lauren -- thank you! It's quite a thrill to be a 10 again. I remember the day when I first became a 12. I was embarassed about the weight gain -- I'd been a 10 for a while at that point, and I was embarassed that the same size no longer fit. So it's a wonderful feeling to be back there again, especially since one of my initial goals when I first joined WW was to be a size 12 again, so being a 10 is an especial triumph. :) :) :) RE being OP and journaling vs. weight loss -- being OP and journaling is in itself a big victory, Lauren. Give yourself credit for each and every victory. And I'm betting that you will lose weight this week, but even if you don't, you are demonstrating your dedication and commitment, which means you're on your way!

Princess: No, that's fine. But I'm still confused. :( If you want to maintain a BMI of between 20.0 and 20.9 (that is, have a BMI of less than 21), you would have to be between 113 and 118 pounds. How can I be my weight range include numbers above 118 if that puts my BMI above 20? I should just go to a meeting and ask a leader instead of pestering you. I am sorry about all the trouble. The explanation about the point changes vs weight changes does make perfect sense though. Re the pictures -- thank you! I am delighted with getting to a size 10, and I thought that several of the pictures of me with my friend Alice (the Asian woman) turned out very well. Re walking: I recommend that you start off small, Princess. You probably have 15 minutes in your day, right? You could start with that. Walking is so relaxing -- you were walking before, when the weather was good, right? Our walking season is reversed -- winter is great for walking, but it passed 100 degrees here last weekend, so I now avoid being outside during the day whenever possible.

Judy: I'm glad that you had a good weekend. It sounds like fun. I know, it's so hard when you have so many good ideas, huh? :) And thanks for the congrats and the compliments! I am thrilled. :) I'm glad you liked the before and after photo -- I always find those so inspiring! (for more motivation, check out the Before/After photo albums at 3FC, if you haven't already: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=200). Thank you for the feedback. I don't want to be overbearing, or sound like an overenthusiastic cheerleader who has no idea of how hard it is; I do; but I have faith that everyone can lose the weight eventually. On the topic of "keeping it coming: Re stopping our good habits -- I know you weren't addressing me, but I have some thoughts on this -- part of the problem in adhering to all of your good habits is making it a long-term habit. This kind of lifestyle is work -- it's well worth it, but it's definitely a lot more work, especially in the beginning. The longer you do it consistently, the easier it gets, as I'm sure you know. I think it's important to keep up your efforts, one day at a time, and then before you know it, it will be an ingrained habit. For example, most days I just automatically go to the gym after work, without even debating it, but it sure wasn't always that way. I used to have extended debates with myself about going to the gym all the way home (and it was a 45-minute one-way commute!) I don't skip the gym unless I have a social event to go to (and I keep those infrequent during the week for this reason), and I go to the gym unless I am physically unwell. For another example, I buy healthy food and cook and do food prep every weekend -- but I didn't always do that. When I first lived alone, back in 2002, I bought good food and let it rot, eating what was easy and fast, and quite unhealthy. Now it doesn't occur to me to eat junk as much. Don't get me wrong, I still want to skip the gym sometimes, and I still crave junk food, but it's not as bad, and it gets easier to resist all the time. As you said, losing weight is an indescribable struggle, but it's one we can win -- it just takes time, perseverance, creativity and support. Remember, you can do this, and you will!

Itryharder
05-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi Turtles,
Ariana,
Thanks for your specific examples of staying on track. :bravo:
Judy

Princess1122
05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Morning all!

Ariana: I am sorry for the confusion... The range is broad but then again so is the age range since it spans 20 years and they only use one weight range goal chart for both genders now... the daily points is where they take into consideration the gender factor and men get lots more points then women but if a man were 5'3 he would have to be at the top end of that goal range or he would just be too skinny... the BMI has to be ABOVE 20 according to the book so use that as a guideline since you are young and can go into the lower range of the goal weights... Joining might not be a bad idea but that is up to you... they often have coupons on WW website if that would help.

All: I went to an Indian restaurant yesterday for lunch with a co-worker... it was ok but I fear there were a lot of points in that food... I have a hard time with food when you not look at it and can not tell what it used to be :dizzy: I think at one point I had a piece of goat on my plate but I pushed that to the side... I walked away hungry but fear that all the rice cost me too many points... I will not make that mistake again.

Ariana is right... even I can make it a point to get out and walk for 15 minutes a day and that is what I did yesterday after work... it was only 15 minutes as a storm came in but at least it was a walk.

Hope all is well with everyone!
Princess

Ariana2000
05-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? Do you ever have one of those days where you have a sort of bone-deep craving for fatty, high-calorie food? I'm having one of those days. I'm nearly twitchy. Yesterday was bad too. If I really need to, I have those mini-popcorns in my drawer at work (1 pt), and I keep reminding myself that I'm having Subway tonight, my favorite fast food, and something I really look forward to. <sigh>

Not much is new. I'm feeling overwhlemed at work, so I'm cleaning up my desk and getting rid of all of the scraps of paper and trying to refocus on what's most important, and stay focused on one thing at a time. I've tried it before, so here I go again. Part of my stress is due to the fact that we have a nasty meeting today with a client to discuss why the project has slipped 6 weeks (it's mostly due to the laws of physics -- only so many records can be processed by a computer at a time, and I couldn't really come up with a good estimate for how long it would take -- there were too many factors.) So I'm worried about that, but our customer relations rep will be there, and it's his responsibility to keep control of them. But I did get a nastygram of a meeting schedule from him, so it'll be great fun. :(

Now for your individual comments:

Judy: Thank you! I hope you're having a great day!

Princess: Ah, that makes a lot more sense. BMI *above* 20 would be safe. I don't intend to go to meetings, just register long enough to get the materials. I have considered going to meetings again, but there are none in my area during the week at a time that doesn't conflict with my workout schedule, and I want to keep weighing-in on Wednesday (it's far away enough from my SHD to not hurt me as much, as, say, Monday.) Saturday morning is a possibility, although I would have to "behave" better on Friday -- maybe that would help me do it? I don't know. It's also $52 a month, which is a big factor. I'm not having trouble making ends meet, but I'm reluctant to even pay that much a month for anything that I feel isn't absolutely mandatory, and I have managed to lose 25 pounds just from my own efforts and the support of my beloved turtles. Re Indian food: eating at ethnic restaurants is hard, especially when few of the dishes are in the WW books and/or recognizable for their base ingredients. The only thing I can think of at that point is to try and get a dish with lots of veggies, maybe a vegetarian dish? It's tough, I agree. I am glad you went for the walk. Even 15 minutes is great! I always say, start small.

Okay, back to work!

Itryharder
05-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi Turtles,
Yesterday I was up 1# at my WI. Not too bad considering I was away for a week and didn't WI and then I had a tough week of lots of food challenges.
Is it what I wanted? No. Is it something I can deal with? Yes. Today I am going to babysit dgs and I'll bring food for all day since I'll be there until really late tonight. I'm taking it as a challenge and I know I can do well. I'm still fluttering between flex and core and I know I need to make a decision. Right now I'm at baby steps, baby steps to get back on track, make these changes lifelong, and succeed. When I listen to others in my family, I know I've done very well by maintaining a small weight loss. However, my dreams are to reach goal and I know I can do it. Yay. Onward and downward.
Good luck to us all.

Ariana, I hope the meeting goes as well as can be expected today. :bubbles:

Princess, I like that you got out and walked right before the storm. :cheer:

Take care, be well.
Judy
234.6/219.6/thinner into onederland :cool:

Princess1122
05-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Ariana: Look online and see what they offer... under the new program you can do the "monthly pass" option and that is only 39.99 a month and you get free etools and such with it... that is what DH and I do... it ends up being about 9.35 a week and the cheapest option... DH and I go to the early Saturday morning meetings... 7 AM but it gives us the whole day and if we W/I on Saturday morning we behave on Friday night and then Saturday starts a new week and we make the weekend our SH time... we go out to eat or cook up lots of stuff on the grill, etc on Saturday evening... it works for us but I know you are busy and have an active social life, we are old folk and have no social life LOL... But in the summer it really works since most cook outs and parties are on a Saturday or Sunday and we can enjoy without the worry of a midweek W/I. I know some people don't believe in the meetings but I really do and the more I go the more I believe in them... you get tons of helpful info there and someone is always bringing in a new food item that they found at the store that is low in points and helps to change up the menu a bit... we have a super leader and she really kind of helps folks along with trouble areas and stuff... Hope it all helps you but again it is not for eveyone... you can always do the WW on line if you can't get to a meeting and I think the monthly pass price still stands...

All: I went to Pilates last night and boy oh boy do I feel it today... not sure why except this is an advanced class with a male teacher and he really works you over... I love it though and would not give it up for the world. I did not walk last night as I was exhausted when I got home and had one thing and one thing only on my mind... FOOD! I was a starvin marvin to the point that my husband was laughing at me since I came in the back door and made a bee line for the fridge... Oh well... exercise does that to me. Supposed to be cool but nice out this evening so I will take a stroll... hoping for a good W/I this Saturday!

Any plans for Memorial Day weekend?

My youngest DS graduates from highschool that weekend... as of August DH and I will be empty nesters.... Yeah! Kind of looking forward to it... did not think I would be and it may be very different come August but we are looking forward to some alone time. The fact that he graduates that weekend is aggravating as it is Indy 500 weekend and the city goes nuts so having to manage family and friends getting too and from the graduation venue with a party afterwards is rough but since the race track is on the other side of the city we are hoping it won't be too bad. Just makes travel longer and more frustrating for those coming in from out of town. DH and my 3rd anniversary is also that weekend so we will be spending that Monday being together and maybe have a "Date". That will be fun and gives me something to look forward to.

I have to run but will check back in later on.
Princess

Ariana2000
05-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Ladies: Good afternoon. How is everyone? I did my WI last night, and I maintained exactly. It's frustrating, since I was so ravenous these last few days. ::tantrum:: I've been thinking about what Princess and several others have said, and I'm seriously considering rejoining the meetings. I know I said that I didn't need them, and I didn't before. But maybe I do now. I think I need to go back to counting points each day. I think that my mental tracking is getting lax, that there are a few (or a lot on Saturday) extra points getting in, and that's what's causing me to maintain. I looked at my tracker, and I've only lost 7 pounds this year. (Don't hit me, people who have been gaining or maintaining this year. I know that's frustrating as all get out too.) That averages to a little over 1 pound a month. And, I understand slow and steady, but I think that's too bloody slow. And registration is free now, and I think that going to WW meetings, even though I find them inane sometimes (yes, it depends on the leader), may be what I need to get these shuffling feet of mine going a little faster, and keep me counting points (which is where I almost always fall off.) So I'm going to propose to my Mom that she and I both go to WW meetings for 3 months and count points for those 3 months and then reevaluate at the end of the quarter if we want to keep going or not. I'm also considering stopping the Wendie plan -- it's served me well for a long time, but maybe I need a change -- and trying to stay at my allotted points level each day, then using my flex points only for the weekend/socializing (and counting those too!) That's going to be hard, my current total is only 21, but I can sure as **** try. What do you guys think? I'm getting more and more frustrated here. I think it's time to, as I always say, reevaluate and change my strategy.

Judy: Oh man, I had a paragraph written to you, and now it's all gone (because genius here hit reload accidentally)! Well, quickly -- Judy, sorry about the gain, but I agree, it is minor in view of your week and the challenges, and you can kick it again. Core vs. Flex is a tough choice, I understand the dilemma. Maintaining any loss is good, and keep up with those baby steps, you'll eventually look up and find that you've walking 50 miles in those baby steps! Re the meeting: thank you for your support. It was very stressful, and I had a big headache afterwards, but it went as well as could be expected, and my manager and another employee thought I handled the irritated customers very well. And I resisted the desire to go for the cocoa/coffee/milk combo (comfort food) that I wanted, which I was proud of.

Princess: is the $40 monthly pass for in-person meetings (it sounds like it)? Where do you buy that? What e-tools do you get with it? That might be the best deal. I'm not hurting for money, I've been living on basically the same budget that I was when I first moved to Tucson (I based on my budget on my original salary before i got the raises, and didn't change it much when I got the raises, and the new income has gone to either new clothes (a necessity -- nothing from last season ever fits!) and paying off my credit cards (I have one left, less than $800 on it too!) But I try to evaluate each significant expense this way -- do I need it (new clothes that aren't falling off) or do I want it (cable, an iPod, etc.) I try to save the splurges as rewards (i.e. when I get to 60 pounds lost, I'm going to buy an iPod or an MP3-cd car stereo.) So you can see why I was reluctant to do meetings when I was losing weight, even gradually. But lately, I've been getting frustrated, and I'm wondering if maybe I would benefit from it (see my note above.) You may just have talked me into it. <G> Re: Pilates -- sorry you are sore, but it's a good sore, right? I know what you mean. I'm often ravenous when I get home from the gym. If I can't wait, I go for a piece of fruit. I used to go for pretzels and a cheese stick (yumm!) but that's four points. :( Good luck on your WI! I'm going home for Memorial Weekend. I am sure that the party and the joy of graduation will make up for the hassle of the overloaded weekend. :)

Well, back to work. Take care and have a good weekend! I probably won't be able to talk to you guys again until Tuesday -- I'm leaving on a plane to San Diego tomorrow to spend the weekend with my dad.

Itryharder
05-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Ariana,
Have a great weekend with Dad. :bravo:

Princess,
Congrats on your upcoming 3rd. year anniversary. And it will be interesting to see how you like your empty nest. I love ours, but we are in constant touch with our 3 kids and their families which I also love. It is nice to have privacy and I bet you'll like it a lot. :love:

Today was a perfect food day even though I went to dd's to watch the grandbaby. I brought my food with me. My grandson wanted McDonald's for dinner and I ate my salad instead of buying myself something. Now I think I deserve a :cheer: for that. LOL. Dr. Joy Brown again talked about people getting "bored" with developing new habits of eating right and exercising and suggested setting small and longer term goals to keep your focus and interest in the right direction. I'm gonna give that a try.
Judy

Princess1122
05-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Morning all! Well it got really cold here so I did not go for a walk last night... will keep trying though.

Ariana: you will get set up on the monthly pass when you go in to join... at least that is how I did it... I don't know if you get the same deal online or not but like I said I really need the meetings and the accountability of the W/I every week so I have never looked into the online options. The etools is on their website, it is for tracking and you can log your daily points etc... the thing that I really like the most is the recipe builder... that is a very nice feature...
Have a great time with your dad!

Judy: Congrats, that is huge that you ate your food instead of the fast food. You should be very proud! I am looking forward to the empty next actually... some down time is what I need and not always having to manage everyones life... it is just too much sometimes...

Nothing else new here... the scale is not going anywhere this week but I will keep my fingers crossed a good W/I... maybe it will just magically happen... LOL, most likely not but I have high hopes!

Princess

Itryharder
05-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Turtles,
I typed too fast in my last post and meant to say that Dr. Joy Brown from the radio show said that when we get bored trying to establish good habits of good eating and exercise that we could set short term and longer term goals to keep us interested. Boredom factors in pretty early for many of us--especially those who have been making efforts for a long time. That'd be me.
So, for this week, my goal will be to eat Core, and carefully track the 35 point thingies that we have each week. Already I have a cool luncheon to attend on Sunday that will be a challenge, but if I go with a good attitude, I should be able to see a weight loss. I am also going to get on track with exericse and if I'm too tired to treadmill, then I'll do Tai Chi.
Judy
Everybody have a great weekend.

Princess1122
05-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Well W/I went ok... down 1.6 lbs, I will take it and am trying harder with both food and exercise although it was a high points weekend...

Busy getting ready for DS graduation this weekend but I will stop in when I can.

Have a great day all...
Susan

Itryharder
05-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Princess, :bravo: :cheer: :bubbles:
Great WI! Terrific. Glad you had such a :goodscale:
All goes well here, and keep on keepin' on.
Judy

Princess1122
05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Went for a walk after work yesterday, a small walk - just a mile, but at least I got out there and walked... it has turned pretty warm here and it was in the mid 80's yesterday. Not having walked much outside it took a bit out of me but at least I am started again... I went to Pilates last night and we used one of the big balance balls for the first time and that was different and I really felt it in my legs... glad I got my walk in before my pilates class...LOL.

Hope all is well with everyone...

Itryharder
05-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Glad to hear you're exercising so well , Princess. :tread:

Hey, where is everybody else?
Judy

Princess1122
05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Judy: thanks! I am not sure where everyone else is but I wish they would come back on line soon... the support that I get here is awesome and reading everyone's posts gives me something to look forward to every day... not to mention that we get lots of good advice and info here...

By the way... I did an oven fry thing the other day that came out kind of good and thought I would pass it along... I took some large baking potatoes and cut them into about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and then used some shake and bake (ranch and herb I think) dipped them in that and them put them on a baking sheet that I had sprayed with an olive oil spray and baked them at 425 for a while... we like ours kind of crispy so I let them go until they were to our liking but if you like them softer you can adjust accordingly... we had them with some grilled burgers and a salad... they were pretty good and the shake and bake didn't add too many points... I think I guess-timated that they added about 1 extra point to each serving of potatoes... It was different then just a baked potato or rice so it went over pretty well with the family...

Went for another mini walk last night... I asked my DH to go with me but he declined... he said he would start walking with me next week maybe and I am really looking forward to it as it makes the time go so much faster and you can walk further when you have a partner... at least it works that way for me... it gave us some time together with no ringing phones, etc and was just nice quality time...

Princess

Itryharder
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi Tur tles,
Princess, thanks for the cooking tip. I think it sounds great and I'll try some shake and bake soon. It's good to "shake" things up once in a while.

For now I have made the decision to use Flex. I was cheating too much on Core and when I tried Flex as an experiment I realized I was missing several foods that I wasn't "allowed" on Flex. So today I took my point counter and put it on the fridge with a magnet. I've already counted out the points I've used so far and think that journaling will help keep me on track. I had a good WI :goodscale: at WW's this morning. I lost 1.4# so I am very pleased. These last few weeks have been crazy with food temptations, vacation, etc. and it's good to have the scale change direction and go downward. At least from my original high weight I still have 15# off. I'd like it to be better, but I know what I have to do. :cheer:

I'm off to plant some impatiens and maybe transplant some hostas. We'll see how long my energy lasts. Wish me luck.
Judy
234.6/219/thinner into onederland :cool:

Princess1122
05-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Morning all!

I went to my pilates class last night... came home and we did some brats on the grill and then I cleaned up and got a 2 mile walk in... it felt amazing! I am hoping for a pretty good W/I this week... I would really like to break into the 170's some time very soon and am hoping this is the week :carrot:

Judy: Congrats on your W/I... that is just awesome!!!! I think that you will find a much better loss with Flex then with Core but that is just my personal opinion... I would cheat and over eat like crazy if I did Core, I know myself too well :devil: the evil Susan would pop out and that would not make for lost weight at all. Best wishes!

Princess

Itryharder
05-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi Turtles,
Hey Princess, I just remembered that Ariana was going to spend the weekend with her Dad and I bet when she got back to work, she had loads to do. I'm with you as far as checking this site for support. I really rely on what the Turtles have to say and their successes encourage me and their slip-ups remind me that this is not easy, that other people have problems, and that we can all have success if we keep on keepin' on and tweaking our weight loss programs until they become a way of life.

Yesterday was a good day for me too. I finally got back on the :tread: for 1/2 hour and I'm glad about that. I need to take it easy because now that I have not been exercising for almost a month, I have noticed that the bursar at my hip joint is pain free. Must remember not to overdo.

So glad you got in so much exercise and so glad you're psyched about what you've done this week.
Everybody=--take care and be well.
Judy
234.6/219/thinner into onederland :cool:

Ariana2000
05-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Ladies -- hello! I'm sorry that I have been so quiet. I have been absolutely, ridiculously slammed at work ever since I got back. It was bad before, but it is only worse now -- I have about 12 priority A tasks to do! :( But I have put it on a calendar and highlighted the things I'm going to work on today, and I am doing my best to stay calm and not freak out and try to do it all at once, like I usually do. On the bright side, I weighed in and I lost .8, even though I was on vacation last weekend. Weird, huh? I'm still so tired, even though my doctor had my thyroid function and my hemoglobin levels checked and they're both normal. My mom's theory is that I'm not eating enough for my activity level and/or enough protein. She may be right -- I ate more than usual this weekend, but not a lot, and I definitely ate more protein. I fully expected to gain at least a pound, but instead I lost. Maybe I do need more protein in my diet.

I'm incredibly exhausted, so I'm resting this week, no working out; I'm hoping that, by next Tuesday after my vacation, I'll feel human (not so bloody exhausted) again. Then I'm going to start going to meetings on Wednesday afternoon, on my lunch break. I don't think I want to do Saturday morning, I'll ditch it for social events and I won't want to get up early, etc, etc. I know myself, and I know when I will and will not get up to do things. I'm going to try and stick to my minimum points for each day, except that I'm going to add on points earned by exercise M-Th, and make sure that those "extra" points include higher protein/higher fiber items. I'm also going to change my breakfasts and my diet in general to include more protein. I hate feeling tired all the time, wanting to go back to sleep within an hour of getting up... I hope this helps.<sigh>

I had a lovely time with Dad in SD. Although I did eat more junk than usual (potato skins Friday night! Oi!), I brought All Bran bars (2 pts, high fiber) with me and ate those and some fruit I also brought along when I got the munchies at the airport. I also "pre-ate" a snack of fruit each time before going out, and I only ate half of my lunch when we were served large meals. I even managed to resist the Doritos my Dad had in his hotel room (Okay, most of the time!), which is really big for me. I can turn down chips in a store, but when it comes to freely offered junk food, already purchased and sitting there open...oi. But I didn't eat a lot of them, so I was proud of that. :) I even asked if I could put away the chocolates my Aunt had put out for others to "snack on" after I asked if everyone was done with them, telling them that I knew, if those things sat in front of me, I would continue eating them (lovely Trader Joe's chocolates with raspberry filling. So good. So bad, if you know what I mean.) I was proud of that too. :) Overall, I did better even than I thought, especially if I lost weight. ::goodscale::

Well, ladies, I'm going out of town Friday at noon. I won't be back until Wednesday morning. I'll be grocery shopping Wednesday and Friday, and going to my first WW meeting in a long, long time Thursday so...I'm sorry, but I don't think you'll see me again at all next week. If I get a chance, I will post, but I can't make any promises. Know that my thoughts are with you, and that I am sending good energy your way! See you on "the other side" of next week! :hug:

Lastly, for responses to your individual posts...

Judy: Thank you, I had a great weekend with Dad. Congrats on eating healthy despite the temptations (especially at McDonald's, a personal nemesis of mine!) I think you have a good attitude -- let us know how your implementation of Dr. Joy Brown's technique goes. Congrats on your WL! That is crazy. I think flex is the easiest to do long term because you don't leave out foods, and it is easier to eat out, etc. with flex. What are hostas? You were right, I had SO MUCH to do when I got back, and then I was out of the office Tuesday on business too, which only made it worse. :o I'm glad that you find out support so helpful, and I think you have a great attitude. Congrats on your 1/2 hour on the treadmill. Yes, take it easy and don't hurt yourself. And stretch if you don't already.

Princess: I meant, do you buy a one month pass online for $40? I called WW of AZ, and they are offering $40 to join or $60 for 5 weeks (and I think that includes registration. AZ is apparently cutting off its free registration earlier than everyone else -- I saw a magazine that said it extended through 5/27, but not us apparently. Hey, 1.6 WL is great! I am glad that you are walking again, that is great. I am sorry that I have been gone so long. I value your support too. I have just been so horribly busy ever since I got back on Monday, and then I was out of the office Tuesday on business all day, so the list of stuff to do just piled on higher. I have about 12 high priority tasks right now... <sigh> I am SO glad I'm going on vacation tomorrow.

Princess1122
05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Ariana: just a quick note to you before I head out... have the doctor test your Ferritin level... not iron but Ferritin... it is how, where, and how much ect. of iron that your body can hold onto... I was the same way as you... really tired almost to feeling sick and I had mine checked... now the doctor told me I was normal because mine was a 13 on a scale of 10 to 291 but I have done a ton of research and women of pre-meno ages should have a level of 70 or higher. Hope this helps.

Re: the price of WW, they do an auto withdraw from my checking account for the monthly fee on the same day of each month.

Princess1122
05-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I have a busy weekend ahead... DS graduates and DH and I have our anniversary on Monday so we will be busy and I doubt I will be back on line until Tuesday...

Have a great holiday weekend all!

Itryharder
05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi Turtles,
Ariana, good to hear from you and :bravo: for your weight loss! By the way, hostas are plants that in my climate come back every May, are mostly broad leaves that form a small "bush " for lack of a better word. They spread easily, as basically maintenance free, and grow well in the shade so they are very poplular here in NY. They are easily divided and can be transplanted so you end up with a bunch of nice looking plants for hardly any money. They die out in the frost and "disappear" over the winter to come back the following May. Also, I find I lose better when I eat lean protein when I'm hungry. Your Mom may just be right. Good luck with your WW mtgs. I find them very helpful==especially when things aren't going well for me, diet-wise.

Princess,
congrats on your ds's graduation. What a wonderful accomplishment. :cheers: and :cheer: Good for him! And have a lovely anniversary. :love:

Thanks for letting me know of your plans. We'll be busy here too this weekend with a couple of activities and then a luau BBQ on Monday. I'm watching the points and have a good dessert planned for Monday.

Good luck to everyone. Have a great weekend.
Judy
234.5/219/thinner into onderland :cool:

Princess1122
05-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Morning all... W/I was not good on Saturday, not sure what happened but I was up .6 and with so much going on this weekend I overate on my points most every day... back on track though but feeling a bit of a food hangover from the bad eating...

Graduation went well and so did the anniversary...

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!
Princess

Itryharder
05-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Princess,
Being up .6# can be so many things, but I'm glad you're on track now. I know what you mean about eating too many foods off program. I've had a food hangover for a bit now and it's not pleasant. Have my WI tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be up. Gotta get to the bottom of this lack of discipline I'm experiencing.

Everybody--have a good day. Our BBQ was a lot of fun and not too much excessive eating. Too bad the days before weren't better for me.
Have fun and stay OP!
Judy

Itryharder
05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi TUrtles,
I am going to open the next thread. See you at #183. I got to my WW's mtg. this morning. I was way up on my WI scale. But I could feel the weight on me. You wouldn't think that was possible since I'm so overweight, but I can feel the difference. So now I'm right back to where I was last August when I joined WW's again. Well, I've got it stopped and I'll procede with caution.
Wishing you all luck. See you at #183.
Judy