Weight Loss Support - Need advice / someone to listen . .

Anniemal
05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi, thank you so much for looking at my post. I'm quite new here and just a few weeks into my very long journey.

Anyway, my question [or complaint] is that I keep suffering from these afternoon crashes. I'm fine through breakfast, eating great lots of fiber and whole foods, exercising for a min. of 1 hour with cardio / strength training. So far I've lost about 2 pounds this week, as well. As did I last week.

My problem is after working out, I make myself a pretty decent lunch [lunch, I use as my former dinner - eating a slighty bigger meal with good whole foods or just small portions of regular lunching items] anyway, and then I CRASH! I can hardly blink or think or move. Eating, I'm fine. It's almost right after that I can't move.

I don't know if it's complex carbs or something, I've never had this before.

I did a pretty lousy work out today so I'm going to take a walk and see if that wakes me up . . but I just don't get it. :?:

I used to feel energized and now I feel like a nap.

If anyone has ever had this happen to them or have an idea of what may be making me feel this way, I'd love to hear from you.

Getting my butt moving again!
~ Annie.

Forgive my spellings or whatever errors haha I can't even bother with spell check right now.

Anniemal
05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh yes, and how do I edit my tracker to show my current weight - or do I just have to keep making them over? Yes, I said I was leaving but here I sit.

MOVE YOU BUTT, SELF! RAWR.

baffled111
05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Hey there,

Yeah, you have to make a new tracker each time. It is a bit of a pest.

With regard to your actual question, can you tell us what lunch usually looks like for you? What are you eating?

Ilene
05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey there,

Yeah, you have to make a new tracker each time. It is a bit of a pest.

With regard to your actual question, can you tell us what lunch usually looks like for you? What are you eating?No you don't have to change your tracker every time... Just go into your siggie and change the number that is the number that indicates your recent weight.... does that make sense?

TammyD
05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
After you log in go to where it says user cp in the purple bar and click ...then click on edit signature and down where it has the http info just go over and change the current weight then save your settings. Alot easier than making a new tracker everytime. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

As for your original question, I'm sorry I don't have an answer for that one.

Anniemal
05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Great, that makes sense to me, yes! Woot.

And typically, I eat about 1/2 of a whole wheat bagel with a few ounces of deli turkey, lettuce, low-fat cheddar [about 2 ounces] and light mircle whip.

Then a veggie like carrots - a pickle - and backed crackers or baked chips.

Of course it changes, today I had tuna fish mixed with M.W., pepper and mustard on 2 small slices of rye. I also had a small salad w. a small amount of dressing and a pickle.

That's pretty typical. Not the most healthy but I did loose 55+ pounds eating this same menu about 3 or 4 years ago. And I never felt like this.

Thanks for both of your replies!

Su-Bee
05-09-2007, 03:47 PM
If I eat carbs at lunch, I totally crash. Even if they are good whole grain carbs. Could be something you're eating is causing your blood sugar to spike. . .also, if you've recently started making lunch your biggest meal rather than dinner, that might be causing some of the grogginess, too. I always say digestion diverts energy from your brain!

Anniemal
05-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I also just did 1/2 a mile uphill on the treadmill [pretty light and low speed] and a few minutes on the eliptical [not spell checking, forgive] - about 15 minutes of movement, maybe less.

Still feeling lethargic [not spelling checking that either haha].

Ilene
05-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Anniemal -- I understand completely about crashing :yes: I crash when I eat 1) I eat too many sweets 2) eat processed foods 3) when I don't eat enough protein and 4) if I don't drink enough water, believe it or not :shrug: . What specifically are you eating for lunch? If I eat a sandwich even if it's on whole wheat bread, the bread makes my blood sugar drop, also processed meats make me sleepy... I have solved this my eating chickpeas or beans with tuna or chicken or eggwhites and oatmeal instead of a sandwich ...I've also discovered that the more I eat whole foods on a regular basis, the healthier my diet is, that as soon as I fall off plan by eating processed stuff, I feel it by being tired or cranky or crashing :yes: ...

baffled111
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
No you don't have to change your tracker every time... Just go into your siggie and change the number that is the number that indicates your recent weight.... does that make sense?

Ah! That's good to know. Thanks for the head's up.

Sorry 'bout the hijack.

Janie Canuck
05-09-2007, 04:28 PM
There is also a shortcut to edit your tracker/signature, under the "quick links" menu on the purple bar at the top.

baffled111
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
And typically, I eat about 1/2 of a whole wheat bagel with a few ounces of deli turkey, lettuce, low-fat cheddar [about 2 ounces] and light mircle whip.

Then a veggie like carrots - a pickle - and backed crackers or baked chips.

This is your main meal of the day? That doesn't look like enough food to me. You'd be better off to be eating a giant salad with more protein and skipping the bagel (or the chips/crackers) altogether. It looks to me like too many carbs, not enough veggies, not enough protein, and not enough volume. I'd be tired too if I tried to cheat my body out of a proper meal after exercising!

Are you calorie counting? How many calories are you eating each day if this is your main meal?

Anniemal
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm just going to run through an example of my intake for a typical day.

B: 1-1 1/2 cups of Kashi Promise organic cereal, 1 serving of fruit, 8 oz. V8 fruit and veggie juice lite, 1-2 hardboiled eggs with pepper.

Snack: I would try and eat a fruit leather [all natural fruit roll-up for about 45 calories before or after exercising for a good hour].

L: Basically like stated above. 1/2 of a whole wheat bagel with turkey, etc. some carrot sticks, baked oz. of chips [salt tooth], and a pickle.

S: 1 f/v

D: A salad, 8 oz. of baked or grilled skinless boneless chicken or soup, some egg whites. Fruit.

S: 100 calorie pack or snack of my choice.

That's basically what I eat day in / out. I am a very bad eater if I'm not dieting and while I love fruits, I can stand less than 5 vegtables - the starchy ones. I grew up eating junk like mac & cheese, hotdogs and peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. Not that it's an excuse, I've just always been a very picky eater and chosen the wrong foods as well as been a binge eater - as my mother was a binger / purger and while I cannot stand to vomit up my food - I can binge with the best. : /

Sorry, got quite long-winded there.

Oh, and no, I don't count calories, tho I should. I kinda eat the same thing all the time. I would love to know my intake / out take but my main cardio machines give "typical 150 pound body" calorie / fat outputs. So I never know what I'm really doing.

clvquilts
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds like you need an afternoon snack of fruit. An apple or orange should get you going again.

Go to User CP
Click on Edit Signature
Scroll down to Edit Signature box

Change the last number (242) in the string of numbers /262/150/242/

Then scroll to the bottom
Click on Save Signature

Mel
05-09-2007, 07:25 PM
What is an f/v?

How long have you been doing your exercise program? Is this the second week of exercise and food lifestyle change? I find that whenever I change something drastically (like all of a sudden adding an hour a day of exercise) I'm exhausted in the afternoons for about a week to two weeks. Then my body gets used to the idea.

Mel

baffled111
05-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Hmmm. It's rough that you don't like veggies. Perhaps if you gave some a try, with some new cooking methods? There are lots of really delicious ways to eat them. There is a world of difference between green beans boiled within an inch of their lives, and green beans sauteed with garlic, lemon juice and red pepper flakes in a little cooking spray. It might be time to re-test your palate and explore some new flavors :)

Anniemal
05-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks to all the replies! I think I'm going to go carb free during lunch just to see how I feel. And I'm taking all your suggestions to heart and into my day tomorrow.

Oh, Mel, I meant fruit or veggie! : )

Thanks again to all!

Romeos Girly
05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
You may want to try several small meals during the day. By scheduling healthy snacks you can keep your blood sugar from fluctuating too much. You also may want to reconsider your workout. Scaling it back slightly to something that you can happily sustain and then slowly increase may be better for you in the long term.

Ilene
05-09-2007, 08:13 PM
There is also a shortcut to edit your tracker/signature, under the "quick links" menu on the purple bar at the top.OMG I didn't know that :rofl: ... I'd never gone there and I'm been a mamber for what 5 years :lol: .... Thanks... Sorry for the highjack too :^:

Beach Patrol
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Anniemal -
it looks to me like you're overloading on carbs - try less carbs & a bit more protein - and find a way to enjoy veggies, whether it be veggie soup, or one particular (non-starchy) vegetable.

Try (I know it's hard!) to cut out the processed/junk food. Just for two weeks. See how you feel then. If that doesn't work, then try something else. Remember - we're all individuals & different things work for different people.

Good luck, & let us know how you're doing! :hug:

Anniemal
05-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks to all that have commented once again! : ) Today, I am feeling quite a bit better -

I had a very mixed up, busy afternoon and I really didn't get a "lunch" in sadly. I did have a banana with 1 teaspoon of Jif peanut butter about 10 mins after working out with a glass of water. And I wasn't hungry until about 5ish when I had my "dunch" - dinner / lunch.

I also made myself an account on thedailyplate.com and here is what I ate today. I know I missed some meals [my morning snack and lunch - ugh] but is this a really bad day?

This is todays intake and my output for exercise. I am sorry its a little hard to read in this format!

May 10th, 2007

Food Item Servings Cals Fat Cholest Sodium Carbs Sugars Fiber Protein

Stouffer's Lean Cuisine Sesame Chicken 1.00 330 9g 25mg 650mg 47g 14g 2g 16g

Banana (1 Medium=126g) 1.00 112 0g 0mg 1mg 29g 15g 3g 1g

Nabisco Nutter Butter Chewy Granola Bars - 100 Calorie Packs 0.50 50 1g 0mg 60mg 11g 3g 1g 1g

Hard Boiled Egg White (no Yolk) 1.00 17 0g 0mg 55mg 0g 0g 0g 4g

Hard Boiled Egg White (no Yolk) 1.00 17 0g 0mg 55mg 0g 0g 0g 4g

Jif Peanut Butter 0.33 31 3g 0mg 25mg 1g 1g 1g 3g

Watermelon, Raw 1.00 46 0g 0mg 2mg 11g 9g 1g 1g

Kemps 1% Lowfat Milk 0.25 28 1g 3mg 31mg 3g 3g 0g 2g

Kashi Organic Promise Cinnamon Harvest 1.00 190 1g 0mg 0mg 44g 9g 5g 4g

Green Giant Fresh Baby Cut Carrots 1.00 40 0g 0mg 45mg 9g 5g 2g 1g

Fitness Minutes Calories Burned
Walk: 3 mph (20 min/mi) 45.0 -370.0

Elliptical trainer: general 20.0 -348.0

Totals: 143 14g 28mg 924mg 156g 60g 14g 36g

Does this mean I'm left with 143 calories in my body? Does that mean I will not loose weight - or just what my body needs to run on. Yeah, today was bad. Missing some things, trying again hard tomorrow with a fresh start.

Thanks to anyone who can give any help in this matter as well.

~Annie.

Anniemal
05-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Forgive the sig, I changed it - but it's back like it was! I'm fixing it now again.

rubberlegs
05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
According to WW you would need 1700-2000 calories (28-33 pts) at the weight that you're at (and that's before exercise). As it stands, you only took in 911!

rubberlegs
05-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Oops...make that 1560-1860 (26-31 pts)
Sorry - after doing WW so long, I think of everything in terms of points. :)

maryccc
05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
I just started the diet and was totally exhausted at the end of the day but today something different happened. I am totally alert and out of my fog. I use to could barely type at night on the computer but for dinner today I had salmon baked and it was so delicious and a spinach spring greens salad with olive oil and vinegar. I added some tomatoes to my salad and onions. I ate every bit of it and later this evening I felt so alive. I know salmon is a brain food so maybe that was it.

Anniemal
05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks! So I'm short. : /

I'm looking to loose 2-3 pounds a week - so about 1700 calories is recommended?

I am really confused, I thought you had to burn ALL you calories to loose weight. Yeah. I feel dumb and this may be a dumb question - but what is the correct method to loose by intake / outtake standards?

Thanks for any help, again. You're all so great.

Michelle
05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Hmmm. It's rough that you don't like veggies. Perhaps if you gave some a try, with some new cooking methods? There are lots of really delicious ways to eat them. There is a world of difference between green beans boiled within an inch of their lives, and green beans sauteed with garlic, lemon juice and red pepper flakes in a little cooking spray. It might be time to re-test your palate and explore some new flavors :)

Thanks for this suggestion. I love green beans, but just boiling them is getting a little bland and this way sounds delicious!;)

JayEll
05-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey Anniemal,

You might want to get some books to help learn about losing weight--that might take some of the mystery out of it. YOU On A Diet is good, I've heard, and there are others that are reviewed--go to the 3FC home page and check it out.

I couldn't figure out what your numbers came out to. It would be better if you would just list the calories at first if you want some comments. No, you aren't supposed to use up all your calories to lose weight. The idea is that the calories you take in should be a lower number that the calories you burn. The cals you burn includes your resting metabolism (a number based on your age, weight, and activity level) plus any additional activities you do. The difference between the two is what leads to weight loss, if you eat fewer cals, or to weight gain if you eat more cals.

For example: Total cals burned 2000 minus 1700 cals eaten leave a deficit of 300 cals. A pound of fat has 3500 cals, so you would need to have that 300 cal deficit for 12 days to lose a pound.

maryccc, that sounds like a delicious dinner! And I'm not surprised that you felt better after eating that way. :)

Jay

Anniemal
05-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks, Jay and everyone who posted above.

I don't know a lot about losing weight - and I've never counted calories before. I lost 55 lbs a few years ago [like 2003-2004 eek] by just working out and eating less and better foods. I've lost the first 20 of this new phase by doing the same but I'm just so ready to do this now the right way.

I guess I do need to invest some time and energy to understand weight loss - It's pretty bad how clueless I really am about how our bodies work in this manner. hehe.

~Annie.

JayEll
05-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Oh, with that success in your past, I would say you have the basic idea! :D There is no one right way--but some tools and information are helpful in keeping track.

The important thing is to see this path as a change in habits for good--the ol' "lifestyle change" folks keep talking about. Learning to eat well and exercise even after the weight is lost, so it doesn't get regained!

Keep going! You're doing fine!

Jay