Weight Loss Support - RANT big girls in lowrise jeans.

View Full Version : RANT big girls in lowrise jeans.

pinupdreams
05-08-2007, 01:48 AM
what is up with low rise jeans in sizes 18+ thats not even funny.. i dont see how a plus size woman (like myself) can wear low rise lol i can only imagine the things that would be hanging out lol. anyone else see a problem with this? :^:

mandalinn82
05-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Depends on body shape. At my highest, I could wear low-rise pants with longer shirts and it looked fine because of how my fat was distributed.

cocoanut
05-08-2007, 02:07 AM
um, some of us are so short-waisted that those low-rise pants hit us just a tad above our waists . . I try to buy all my pants low rise or i end up rolling them down 3 or 4 times. This has been the fashion trend i've been waiting for my whole life! I love having pants that don't hit me right under the boobs!!!

pinupdreams
05-08-2007, 02:18 AM
:dizzy: oh alright now i understand why so many of the jeans i saw said low waisted.

Puncezilla
05-08-2007, 02:25 AM
I don't know if it has anything to do with size. I think it's more body type. I have some fairly low rise pants that I realy like. However I am so sick of seeing peoples butt cracks. so many people are wearing them with short shirts and every time they sit down or bend over, there it is. My sister is a size 6 or 8 and very tall and her crack is always showing. I realy dont need to see that.

Reddalice
05-08-2007, 05:10 AM
I agree that I don't like see fat spilling out over pants and skirts and shirts. However, low-rise depends on the body shape. I'm 200lbs, short torso'd, and 5'3-4. If I can't find the pants I want in low rise- they don't fit. Low rise comes just below my belly button and they are a god-send. Who wants to where pants under their boobs if they can help it?

jillybean720
05-08-2007, 05:30 AM
However I am so sick of seeing peoples butt cracks. so many people are wearing them with short shirts and every time they sit down or bend over, there it is. My sister is a size 6 or 8 and very tall and her crack is always showing. I realy dont need to see that.
THANK YOU! I wouldn't worry as much about plus sized people wearing them as the skinny ones--I swear, if I see one more THONG sticking up over the pants...can we say TACKY?! :rolleyes:

catsnhorses
05-08-2007, 05:47 AM
I'm one of those that don't like low-rise pants, on me or anyone else! I remember the "hipsters" in the 70s that always felt like they were going to fall off. Ugh. (My mom only ever bought me one pair of those, and I think that was a mistake). I don't want to see butt cracks either. But I can see now that it depends very much on body type. I wouldn;t wish pants-that-come-up-to-the-boobs on anyone. So yay for those stores that offer pants in various "rises" to cater for everyone.

And what's with all the short tops in ugly polyester or knits that cling to every lump and bump? I prefer a longer top that skims over the lumps :( and comes below the derriere rather than stopping just above it and thus emphasizing it. But most of the stores I go in will have longer tops in the skinny section and hideous short things in the plus size section. Even my teenage "normal sized" DD said "OMG no wonder you get depressed" when she saw the garbage on offer."

Gah! I hate shopping.

NemesisClaws
05-08-2007, 05:51 AM
It's interesting though...in low rise pants, I'm a size 14, but in other pants, it's generally size 16 or even 18, depending on the brand. Nevertheless, I love the low rise pants because it fits me perfectly, and no, no fat is playing peek-a-boo! :)

I also agree on that whole showing the butt crack with your favorite pair of thongs for the day. I have a sister in a law who's just a tad bit deluded as to what her weight is, and so wears pants as tight as possible, while at the same time, showing off her thongs. It's just very tacky to see this while she's bending over to pick up her son. Frankly, I think it's just a tad too much air conditioning back there....

rockinrobin
05-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I don't care what size you are. I don't wanna see ANYONE's crack. I just don't get it. Why would some one WANT to show off their crack or thongs or whatever else is going on down there? :shrug:

ellabella
05-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Hah! Definitely one of MY pet peeves! I think they look awful - and yep, tacky - on skinny people, and worse - yes, I said WORSE - on heavy people!! But they're awful on anybody, regardless of weight. Of course I came of age, as they say, in an era when form-fitting long-sleeved black turtleneck jerseys and tight jeans with big, bell bottoms was pretty sexy. And in summer, long India-cloth "granny dresses" or skirts and jerseys. We actually thought WE were pretty scandalous. But compared to what I see out there now, we were downright prim and proper. NOW, having said all of that, I do think that it's important to have some CLUE about what looks good on your own body! If you're short-waisted, then I would imagine that lowrise pants are a godsend. If, on the other hand, you're long-waisted and wear them, one would have to assume that you CHOOSE to "show off" your butt-crack. Newsflash! It is NOT the most attractive part of the female anatomy...???? Or the MALE anatomy, for that matter...I had a plumber once who was rather overweight, and whose pants slid down in back when he was bending over to work on the pipes...and it was NOT a pretty sight! :fr:
:D Gee. Seems like I'm getting carried away, here, eh? Better get myself out of here...

Take care all, and keep up the great work!

Ella :twirly:

JayEll
05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Heh! This is an amusing thread... :)

Yes, it depends on weight distribution. I carry my fat on my abdomen--even when I was my thinnest (125, as a 20-something) I had a fat pouch around and below my navel--so lowrise pants were just not a flattering style. Now they are--well, silly. But I have friends who have fat elsewhere and find those pants comfortable.

As for the plumber... :lol: I found a catalog that offers T-shirts for working men (and women) that have a long tail in the back, so that the problem is solved. It's the Duluth catalog, if anyone is interested.

Jay

wateraddict
05-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I actually love low-rise pants...if I can find them in my size that is lol.

aphil
05-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I think low rise pants are probably great for very short people with shorter torsos-so the pants are not up to their belly buttons...and for very slim 16 year old girls. No one else. :D

My pet peeves:

~Low rise jeans with shorter shirts, where I see butt crack, or the "T" top of someone's thong. I want to carry a pair of scissors with me, and just bend down and "cut" the little "T" sticking out of the jeans. :rofl:

~Low rise jeans on someone with the "apple" figure type with a tight shirt. Yes, low rise jeans may fit apples better...but they also accentuate the belly/love handle fat. Think of the booty looking like the cupcake paper cup, and your love handles/belly in the tight pink baby tee looking like the brightly frosted muffin top explosion over it. :lol: It is drawing attention to the one place that apple figure types are flawed-the fat stored/concentrated in the torso area. If you are an apple and love low rise jeans-wear a sweatshirt/regular fit t shirt, or something besides the tight little baby tee. ;)

~Women who have JUST had babies, and their lower abs are not back in shape yet, or they are covered with stretch marks-and they are wearing the low rise with the little baby tee, and you get the glob of loose marked skin hanging out the front. I have had 3 babies...and I wouldn't wear an outfit like that if you paid me...but I see it every day. :?: What amazes me, is the women wearing it have great legs, hair, lips, breasts, or what have you-and instead of focusing and accentuating their good features, they dress to where you are focused on the one flawed area. I don't get it...

Low rise jeans just don't work well with a taller person, unless you are a size 2 and literally have NO butt. They are made for people with no butts-cut like mens jeans. If you have a butt, the jeans are too slim fitting through the hips, etc. and too tight in the rear-lots of low rise jeans will say "slim fit" or "slim through the hips and thighs". They are designed to make you look like a boy, in all honestly. They are not meant for those with curvy hips and thighs. Relaxed fit jeans are made more for women with rounder buns/thighs. They will say "relaxed through hips/thighs" on them.

I love boot cut jeans, and flare leg jeans...but I will be so glad to see the low rise/slim through hips and thighs jeans go bye bye...if I want jeans cut like that, I can go over to the men's department and buy a pair of theirs-essentially the same thing.

Also-in most average height women, the waist is at, or slightly above the belly button. The waist is not 3 inches below the belly button-that is the upper hip by a seamstress/tailor standards. Look in the mirror-the waist is actually much higher. My waist is my best feature, and I am tired of jeans hitting me in the fatter area, and not showing it off. :(

Heather
05-08-2007, 09:05 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I find this "new" terminology for jeans completely confusing. I swear half the time I can't find anything BUT low-rise and lower-rise jeans! And then all the bell bottom legs brings me right back to the 70s. And yet, some look good on me, and some don't and I haven't figured any of it out yet! :crazy:

At least when I was really obese there were fewer choices and less confusion! :lol:

JayEll
05-08-2007, 09:12 AM
wyllen, :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: re "at least when I was really obese..."

Ha! I'm glad there was something good about it! ;) ;) ;)

Jay

modkittn
05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I have never worn pants that sit on my natural waist. I ALWAYS wear pants that sit at my hips! Maybe it is because I wore men's clothing for so long when I was a teenager but I feel so... old-lady-like if anything sits at my natural waist. For me it feels more natural for it to sit on my hips. I always find shirts that go down past that point though. I can't stand the people who wear hip huggers and shirts that are WAY too short especially if the pants are too tight and the fat is bulging out... *shiver* and I agree about the thong statement too... also as disturbing!

LLV
05-08-2007, 09:25 AM
~Low rise jeans with shorter shirts, where I see butt crack, or the "T" top of someone's thong. I want to carry a pair of scissors with me, and just bend down and "cut" the little "T" sticking out of the jeans. :rofl:

I would pay money to see that!

LOL

Beach Patrol
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
I like the lowrise jeans - they fit my wide *** better!!!

Funny story - a couple of friends & I were out shopping once, & we were all three sharing one shopping cart (or "buggy" as it's known here in the south :D ) - we turned down this one aisle, and there was a girl wearing lowrisers, who was stooped down reading a label on something, & she didn't have on even a THONG, so all you could SEE was "complete & total buttcrack...." One of my friends saw her & suddenly blurted out "UH-OH! -Cable Guy!!!" & immediately turned to go the other way. Me & the other friend just laughed our "buttcracks" off!!!! :D :D :D

CousinRockingChair
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I can't stand to wear anything around my waist at all, because it makes me feel really chubby.

ick! I always wear my trousers really lowslung, but I don't wear thongs with them, or tight tshirts (generally, loose shirts covering up as much flab as possible)

Kery
05-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not too fond of muffin tops and showing buttcracks either, I admit. Although everything tends to get 'low-rise' on me these days, since the larger stuff I've had to wear after gaining back some weight is now getting loose? :D

But it's true that 'low-rise' can be a good choice for people who're small enough and with a short waist. I have a couple of these, and they don't show any buttcrack.

On the other hand, I tried a pair of capris the other day in a local store, and I have no idea how they were cut, but they fit at the butt/things, but not at the waist. I had a 10-cm gap in my back when standing, and when kneeling down, it showed, uh, a lot. It was... weird.

suechef
05-08-2007, 10:04 AM
What I don't get about the "muffin top" phenomenon is that even very slim girls will buy jeans that are too small, so the tiny amount of flesh they do have winds up looking like a roll of fat. I saw a girl yesterday who had a gorgeous body, probably size 6, and her jeans were very tight & she was spilling over - basically, to me it made a very slim girl look chubby. Who wants that? lol.

cheers,
Sue

harrypotterybarn
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
What I don't get about the "muffin top" phenomenon is that even very slim girls will buy jeans that are too small, so the tiny amount of flesh they do have winds up looking like a roll of fat. I saw a girl yesterday who had a gorgeous body, probably size 6, and her jeans were very tight & she was spilling over - basically, to me it made a very slim girl look chubby. Who wants that? lol.

One of my younger friends had this going on a while back and I, being her friend, asked her why and did she think she looked good. Her answer: "But they're a size 2!! What? Don't they look good?"

So I guess label number can trump muffin top.

Personally, I like low rise jeans as long as my undies aren't showing. Of course, all my weight is below my muffin top (in my muffin?) so it doesn't roll. And, for some reason, I've found the low rise at the Gap make my butt look good. :shrug:

nelie
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I wear low rise jeans and they are no where near my butt crack. I have a shortish rise, long torso and short legs. Low rise jeans actually almost go all the way to my waist (get that!)

Natalia
05-08-2007, 12:34 PM
I love low rise jeans!

And, I am chubby (size 14 in low rise, sixe 16 in regular) I am short (5"2" ) and apple shaped, so that if I can get into size 14 low rise that means that FINALLY, finally, the legs aren't WAY too baggy!

I do agree with the whole muffin top/ butt crack/ thong thing though. UGH! Its so yucky!
A) I would never wear a thong- you'd never find it again
B) I do have a bit of muffin toppinesss but I wear shirts that hug my girls while are loose at the waist to try to make me look slimmer and not have people get ill at the sight of me..lol
C) My pants stay up so there is never a butt crack issue..

But for some people (I think apples, especially!) Low rise can be a godsend. Before they were around the legs in my pants were always way too baggy. Now that I get into a lower size, the legs fit just right :)

Zorak
05-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Low rise pants are a godsend. Hopefully they will never disappear from the racks.

My waist is super small and I have wide hips, so it is impossible to find a pair of waisted pants that fit correctly. If it fits in the hips, then it gaps in the back at the waist. Even with a belt it looks bad like I'm cinching a paper sack.

Now I'm finally able to ditch the long shirts that hid the waist area and can wear my real size again in public.

I really hope that the "mom" jeans that were popular in the 90s never come back into style.

sh3l5
05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
i always have revolting handles that hang out over the top, however if im careful i can cover them up with a tshirt. I would love for them to disappear - i know they have shrunk a lot, but disappearing would be better.

Its just them and my legs i ent happy with now - im used to the fact i will always have a bele and a bum.

lilybelle
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
I wear low to medium rise jeans because my hips and legs are so much smaller than the rest of me. Without them, the higher waisted jeans cause me to have a saggy butt and baggy looking thighs. My SD gave me one pr. of jeans that are super-low cut. I tried them on and No Thanks, they showed my crack when I tried to bend down.

clvquilts
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
For the past two months, all I've been wearing is my first two pairs of low-rise jeans. While I like their fit, I'm getting tired of always tucking my shirts back into them. (I'm long waisted) and at 46, I don't think it's appropriate for me to be flashing my belly around, no matter how small it is now.

Zorak - I have the same small waist problem that you do. It's very hard to find a pair of pants that fits in the waist and the hips.

Glory87
05-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm very short waisted and I love moderately low-rise jeans. I still have lower ab fat (mostly loose skin) so I can't wear anything super-low rise, but something that hits 1-2 inches below the belly button is just perfect. Even at size 6, 128 lbs, jeans shopping is still a trauma for me. It's really hard to find something that looks good and doesn't make my butt look like a flat, square Fed Ex package. I also don't like anything too tight in the thigh, since one of my outer thighs is visually bigger than the other one!

mandalinn82
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a teensy tiny butt (my mother makes fun of my "boy body" constantly) so they work really well on me. No hips, no butt - means that those low-rise, boy cut jeans work. Its all about your body and what flatters it vs. what doesn't.

Su-Bee
05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Ok low-rise is one thing. . .but those ultra-low-rise? Those SCARE me. Even on little people! They barely come up high enough in front to cover the important bits! Eeewwww...

nelie
05-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Low rise pants actually fit me right at the belly button. There is no pair of pants that I've ever worn or tried on that show my belly button. Maybe it is defective and lower than it should be? :)

Ready2ShedLBS
05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Low rise pants are a godsend. Hopefully they will never disappear from the racks.

My waist is super small and I have wide hips, so it is impossible to find a pair of waisted pants that fit correctly. If it fits in the hips, then it gaps in the back at the waist. Even with a belt it looks bad like I'm cinching a paper sack.

Now I'm finally able to ditch the long shirts that hid the waist area and can wear my real size again in public.

I really hope that the "mom" jeans that were popular in the 90s never come back into style.

I havent read through all the posts yet. Being that I do have a small waist and wider hips thre is that gap in the back of the pants even with the low rise, because if they fit these hips and booty theres not a snowballs chance in **** they will fit right in the waist. Yes sometimes you can see my THONG, but Im not doing it on purpose :dizzy: I dont like wearing shirts that are really long, and if I sit and I happen to bend over while sitting.. you may see my thong :) Sorry.

Haha.. its amazing how many people this bothers.. never bothers me. I guess because I understand that its hard when you have a hourglass figure, and I refuse to wear mom jeans.

aphil
05-08-2007, 04:14 PM
I have an hourglass figure, and I never show a thong. I am a mom, but I don't wear "mom jeans" either. ;)

There are low rise, ultra low rise, and then there are the belly button mom jeans...and then there are jeans like they have at Old Navy, which are called "just below the waist". They sit halfway between the two extremes-and are actually very flattering for the hourglass figure. :)

One of the biggest reasons why the underwear showing out of the low rise jeans bothers me, is because it is 100% preventable. The first step is buying a pair that actually fit right. Low rise jeans have different fits, different rises, etc. and you have to have a pair that fit well.
They also sell low rise thongs, and low rise hipster briefs that both sit low. If you wear a regular thong which come up higher in the back, they stick out above low rise jeans. It especially bothers me when it is some glittery butterfly at the top of the "T" of the thong, Christmas jingle bells at the top of it, or something decorative that draws even more attention to it. :lol:
I just have the belief that underwear is to be "under" the clothes. :lol:

Also, I have to wear pretty low cut dance bottoms which land a few inches below the naval and about an inch above the crack in the back-and if I can keep my undies and crack completely hidden in them while shimmying around, then anyone can. :rofl:

Slashnl
05-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, I'll jump in here, too. I have enjoyed reading this thread. Hilarious!!

Anyway, I don't like the really low rise jeans either, but I have a 13 year old daughter who does like them. The thing that gets to me is that although she is extremely fit and at a very healthy weight, there are many times that she thinks she is getting fat because her stomach is pooching out (is pooching a word?). I just don't think that these teenage girls need anything else to make them feel unhappy with their bodies. And, I have seen very few people who actually look thin and attractive in these jeans. I can see everyone's point about having a short waist and that they fit, so bravo for the low rise jeans just for that purpose! We are all built so different! I have a pair that are a little lower rise than the "mom" jeans mentioned before. I do like the fit, but could never go any further down than this current pair.

BTW, have you noticed how unbelievably short the zipper is on those drastically low rise jeans? Cracks me up (so to speak).

Su-Bee
05-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Those are the ones I'm talking about! The ones with the two-inch zipper! It's not even so much that they disturb me on others, as it is that I've occasionally grabbed a pair to take into the dressing room thinking that they were just normal low-rise, and OMG I have never seen anything so awful on my body!

xtiffanyx
05-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I wear really low rise jeans and so does my mom-we always wear tops that are long enough to cover us up too. I always wear low rise underwear and no crack or thong ever shows. They don't even look that low on my mom, and she doesn't look bad or tacky at all. I don't think they make us look bigger or wider than we are, and I don't ever have the dreaded muffin top, so it's all good:D. A friend of mine is the same height as me and 70 or 80 pounds heavier and she wears low rise jeans, she looks fine in them.

Ready2ShedLBS
05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
The only jeans that I have *EVER* found that I dont sometimes have a slip up with the thong showing.. ( which I always check for, its not like I just let it all hang out) is jeans that have the stretch factor in them.. then they fit good in the waist and the hips and I dont have this problem :)

Any other maker that makes these jeans you are referencing too besides Old Navy? Not a big Old Navy fan.. the clothes wear out too fast for me.

Im a mother of two myself, its just the mom look will never be my thing. My mother is 50 and still shops the Jr. section for her clothes..and I know how I always a appreciated my mom for keeping with the times! lol

xtiffanyx
05-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Have you tried any of the jeans at American Eagle? I have some of their stretch jeans-they're comfy and any jeans I have from there last a long time.

Glory87
05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
One of the biggest reasons why the underwear showing out of the low rise jeans bothers me, is because it is 100% preventable. The first step is buying a pair that actually fit right. Low rise jeans have different fits, different rises, etc. and you have to have a pair that fit well.
They also sell low rise thongs, and low rise hipster briefs that both sit low.

This was actually a big deal for me when I lost weight. The last time I was relatively slender was in the early 90s and fashions were VERY different. While I was heavy, I bought my underwear in 3 packs at Target, I had no idea that low rise underwear even existed or that I would ever have a need for it. When I first tried on size 10 jeans, all my underwear stuck out the back, I had to go shopping JUST for low rise underwear. Then, it felt all weird for awhile, like my underwear was constantly slipping off my tush. I guess I'm used to my low rise underwear now, but I'm not ready to embrace the weirdness that is a thong!

ennay
05-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Those are the ones I'm talking about! The ones with the two-inch zipper! It's not even so much that they disturb me on others, as it is that I've occasionally grabbed a pair to take into the dressing room thinking that they were just normal low-rise, and OMG I have never seen anything so awful on my body!

Lets be clear...there are low rise, and then there is ultra-low-rise (what I like to call "Just above pubic hair" or "Legs with belt")

I do like slightly dropped waist "just below waist" which is actually several inches below my WAIST but just below belly button. but no lower

I wish I could find NON stretch jeans. I'm tired of them fitting in the morning and having to hold them up by noon, or them being tight in the morning so they make it all day.

redlight
05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
I've got a pooch and some thickness around my waist, and I wear jeans a couple inches below my bb. I like to give an illusion of a longer torso.

Funny thing is since I've lost weight and had my bb pierced, I show off my stomach more -- more than I did last time I was at this weight.

LisaMarie71
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I never thought I would like low-rise pants, but now that I'm in smaller sizes I love them. Of course, keep in mind there's no way anyone ever really sees the waist of my pants anyway, because I'm still too big in the middle to really show that area. The funny part is that I'm tall and there's nothing on me that's short, but they still work for me. They cut my biggest part in half, which works as long as they're not tight and forcing a muffin-top effect. The low-slung on my hips thing seems to work for me, and I find them more comfortable.

The high-rise trend that's starting to come back with celebrities now, though, is frighteningly ugly. I've seen it in magazines and it's really hideous. Yes, let's all make our butts look nine miles long!

All I can say is please PLEASE don't let tapered leg jeans come back in style. Back then, anyone with a thick middle walked around looking like a big diamond shape. ::shudder::

catsnhorses
05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
All I can say is please PLEASE don't let tapered leg jeans come back in style. Back then, anyone with a thick middle walked around looking like a big diamond shape. ::shudder::

Oh heck.

i don't like pants that flap around my ankles so I always like tapered leg pants.

One day I couldn;t find the usual penmans jeans with the elasticated waist and sort of tapered legs that walmart has been carrying forever, so i bought some sort of trendier looking things with half elasticated waist and wider legs at the ankle.

DD14 waxed lyrical about how good I looked in them. Is this what she was getting at??

i am hopeless at knowing what suits my shape... must open my mind to wider legged pants!

nelie
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
tapered legs make people look like ice cream cones.... :)

Heather
05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I am so lost, fashion wise, sometimes.

What are "mom" jeans?

And they sell low-rise panties?? Who does? Who knew?

Seriously, my whole life there were just jeans it seemed. Maybe they came in different colors, with different leg styles, but this whole "rise" thing has me flummoxed.

nelie
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Heather, get yourself to Victoria's secret. Mom jeans are those hideous jeans that go high on your waist.

Elerine
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Ick, I live in my jeans, so maybe that is the cause of my problem. I'm beginning to work out that I carry my weight my my boobs, bum and thighs. Perhaps this is the reason that I've worn *holes* in the inner thigh of my last two pairs of jeans!!!

My jeans sit at my belly button, but not in a 'mum' kind of way. Maybe I have a short waist too? In Australia, 'skinny jeans' are all the rage, so all the girls run around looking like toothpicks. Ick Ick Ick. I'm hoping they still make boot leg style, because I need a new pair :(

Kylie

rubberlegs
05-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Um, I still wear mom jeans. :o
But it's not like anyone's looking at my waist. ;)

Heather
05-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I think I was wearing "mom" jeans most of my life! And I'm not even a mom.

I guess I need to figure out my "shape" and my rise and all that.
So much to learn...

Glory87
05-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey Wyllenn, I really like Eddie Bauer and J. Jill - they make nice, slightly low rise, flattering jeans. I like mid rise bootcut, they make me feel slim and pretty.

aphil
05-09-2007, 07:12 AM
To answer the one question, yes, other jean makers make the "just below the waist" fit, they are just easier to find at Old Navy-because right on their labels and on the website they tag them as fitting that way. (On the website, you can search by fit: at the waist, just below, low rise, ultra low, etc.)

I realize 100% that low rise jeans are in style...but it doesn't mean that they are flattering. Most people just think they are, because they are in style. Did that make sense? :lol: In the 80's, everyone wore lace wrist length fingerless gloves like Madonna, Michael Jacksone red/black Thriller biker jackets, and neon colored t-shirts. Don't forget the women's suits with the HUGE shoulder pads, and the big hair. We we fashionable, but we looked hideous. :rofl:

Mom jeans that go up past the belly button may make the butt look bigger, but low rise jeans make your belly look fatter, and make it look like you have a bigger waist-because they don't sit at the waist, they sit at the upper hip, or the lower hip. Just below the waist are actually the most flattering-because they sit inbetween the two extremese. :)

Also, I think there is something said for a woman over the age of 30 who can dress in style, without looking like she is trying to be 16. It is a pretty fine line between looking stylish at your age, or looking silly. I think it is fine for a woman of my age or my mother's age (30's and 50's) to wear boot cut jeans...but we would look silly if we wore boot cut jeans with all the lace/sequins/decorative stuff all over them. I think I look fine in one of the JLo style velour sweatsuits...but I or my mother would look silly if we wore one that said "Juicy" or "Princess" on the behind in rhinestones. :lol:

There is definitely some things in the junior department that older women shouldn't wear. :rofl:

JayEll
05-09-2007, 07:17 AM
You don't like the rhinestones on my butt that say Wild Child???

:lol:

Jay

aphil
05-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Ummmm....no.

:rofl:

nelie
05-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Wyllenn, I really like Eddie Bauer and J. Jill - they make nice, slightly low rise, flattering jeans. I like mid rise bootcut, they make me feel slim and pretty.

A lot of my "goal" clothes are Eddie Bauer and J. Jill :) 18 petites... I can fit in one of them, the jeans I bought from EB are a bit tight and I tried on a pair of the 18 petite dress pants from J. Jill last night and it is quite snug but almost there.

Oh and JayEll, I'm still looking for those yellow pants that have "Fat" on one butt cheek and "Chick" on the other in rhinestones.....

aphil
05-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Oh and JayEll, I'm still looking for those yellow pants that have "Fat" on one butt cheek and "Chick" on the other in rhinestones.....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

harrypotterybarn
05-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I realize 100% that low rise jeans are in style...but it doesn't mean that they are flattering. Most people just think they are, because they are in style. Did that make sense? :lol: In the 80's, everyone wore lace wrist length fingerless gloves like Madonna, Michael Jacksone red/black Thriller biker jackets, and neon colored t-shirts. Don't forget the women's suits with the HUGE shoulder pads, and the big hair. We we fashionable, but we looked hideous. :rofl:

Wa...wa...what do you mean we looked hideous? (Quietly pulls off her lace fingerles gloves and splatter painted t-shirt and looks downcast) I have to rethink my wardrobe I guess. :cry:

:rofl:

Beach Patrol
05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Like a lot of you, I have the smaller waist to wider hips, & finding jeans to fit without that infamous BSG - "back side gap" - is difficult.

I have found that Gloria Vanderbilt jeans fit me better than most. They're a good design for those of us who have the dreaded BSG! :D But I also do well in the "low rise" of certain Levi's (515, I think?) and the new Lee brand "Naturally slims you" jeans.

Just some shopping advice from one who LOVES to shop! :D

aphil
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM
This thread had me inclined to share a few "don't" photos from various fashion do/don't websites. :)

There were oodles to choose from...but I thought I would start with the "words on my butt" pants, and the low rise plumber effect. :lol:

aphil
05-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Notice how the woman in the Juicy sweats is losing the letter "I". :lol:

JayEll
05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
GGAAAAAHHHHH!!! :rofl:

Jay

Michelle
05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
This thread had me inclined to share a few "don't" photos from various fashion do/don't websites. :)

There were oodles to choose from...but I thought I would start with the "words on my butt" pants, and the low rise plumber effect. :lol:

:eek: OMG, what great examples. I get so irritated when I see girls wearing the low rise jeans with the shorter shirts and their mid section or their thong hanging out. I pick my DD up every day at the high school and you would be amazed, or probably not, at what I see.

Slashnl
05-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Ha ha ha! This thread just gets funnier and funnier. Thanks for the photos! Now we know what not to wear.
However... pointing out the receding "I" was something I didn't need! How long will that visual stay with me???????????

rockinrobin
05-09-2007, 03:27 PM
OMG. Aphil did you really have to go and do that???? I'm with Diane. Defintely DID NOT need that disappearing "I" pointed out. Yuck. Double and triple yuck in fact. :stress:

Janie Canuck
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
I'll back up Glory - I recently bought a pair of Eddie Bauer "shape fit" jeans. OMG, they are the best fitting jeans (on me) ever!! Note - even at my goal weight, I always have a bit of booty, but small waist. But ask for shape fit - their regular fit were OK on me, but not as good as the shape fit ones.

watchhershrink
05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
first, i did not read all the pages on this thread.
second, i find this to be an extremely petty and negative thread all around.
we as women need to stop making fun of other womens bodies, no matter what they chose to wear.

healthytoad
05-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I thought it was a very educational thread. Especially for those of us who don't get out often ;)

watchhershrink
05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
i dont see how poking fun at people is educational. if any of you for one second think that no one has ever looked at you and thought (or said) "omg why is she wearing that!?" you are probably wrong. why is it okay to do to other people especially when you should understand how hurtful that can be.

walking2lose
05-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey gals,

I've been MIA all week, so I just read this entire thread... HILARIOUS!!!

Watchershrink -- I truly didn't get any vibe from this thread that it's petty and/or malicious, and like I said, I just read the WHOLE thing. It started with someone voicing an opinion and led into MANY people voicing their opinions. In fact, as I was reading I was thinking that it was pretty cool that a couple people were disagreeing with each other but NOT AT ALL IN A NASTY WAY. Just in a woman to woman way. Several people love the low fit and one even occasionally (horror!) shows her thong! Hey, to each his (or her) own, but we all have a right to share our opinions and LAUGH a little on here. I think the humor is coming from the FASHION of the low rise -- not making a mockery of the person.

I teach high school, and I have seen more cracks and thongs than I could begin to count. I used to co-teach with a guy, and when I was teaching he would sometimes stand in the back of his room or sit at his desk in the back... so he was looking at all the kids from behind. Yeah, he had to stop doing it because he just couldn't deal with all the CRACKS, thongs, and bare FLESH!

My own take on the style ... I'm like some of you in that I like the mid rise or not too low rise and BOOT CUT. Yes, the skinny jeans have also hit the high school, and sadly, that is not a good look for very many figures either. But my husband (he's 35 and also teaches in the same school) has repeatedly said that "Low rise jeans are the absolute worst thing to happen to the fashion industry." He feels they are 100% unflattering to the female figure... even mine ;)

Anyway, just my 2 cents. And if you really want to talk about a STRANGE fashion trend, how about the high school boys who wear the GIRL jeans? That's big at my school, but not without it's own controversy.

Wonder if the fashion industry is laughing at us??

phantastica
05-10-2007, 08:38 PM
About 20 years ago, I commented to a friend about a chubbier girl wearing a bikini, and how she "shouldn't" be wearing that. The friend I was with commented that she thought it was great that this girl was OK enough with her body to wear whatever she wanted. I had to agree - maybe there would be less stringent standards on women's bodies if we all started showing what real womens' bodies actually look like.

That said, I also learned a thing or two about jeans from this thread.

jtammy
05-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey gals,

Anyway, just my 2 cents. And if you really want to talk about a STRANGE fashion trend, how about the high school boys who wear the GIRL jeans? That's big at my school, but not without it's own controversy.

What are you talking about? I haven't seen this trend in our area, unless I don't know what to look for. Of course, most schools here wear uniforms, but I haven't seen it anywhere else either. :dizzy:

shelby897
05-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't believe for the most part it's the clothes, but people who are oblivious to how they look in them. There are so many shapes and sizes, you never know what looks good on one "120 lb" person may look horrible on the next "120" person, based on height, weight distribution, etc. So -- all I ask is that every item be tried on, rated by friends/family before you leave the house with muffin tops/plumbers butt showing and make sure the pressure of clothing too tight for your body isn't cutting off your circulation. I think everyone wants to look nice and have their own style, but there are items that are less flattering than others.

nelie
05-10-2007, 09:31 PM
watchhershrink - maybe you should read the entire thread before passing judgment on those posting in it. It really is about wearing clothes that look flattering rather than wearing clothes that just make someones body look totally off. For some girls, low rise jeans don't flatter them and for others, they do. Of course some girls think they do look best in things that don't flatter them, I know I certainly had my own moments but later on I realized I should've known better :)

LisaMarie71
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Yep, some of my students do this. Tight tight pants...tight all the way down the leg. I have no idea how they get those pants over their feet. It's the "punk" or "skater" kids who usually wear those. It's an odd trend, for sure.

I don't think this is a negative thread either. We're talking about fashion -- it's part of our lives. We have opinions on it and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to express that and discuss it. I don't think anyone intended to criticize any specific person. It takes a lot to offend me, though, so maybe I missed something.

Michelle
05-10-2007, 09:51 PM

Yes, I asked my DD about this because I see boys all the time with such tight and slim pants that look like they would be so uncomfortable and she said it's the new trend. She said it's like more boys are wearing the girls jeans than the girls wearing them.

ennay
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes, I asked my DD about this because I see boys all the time with such tight and slim pants that look like they would be so uncomfortable and she said it's the new trend. She said it's like more boys are wearing the girls jeans than the girls wearing them.

hmmm. can the tight slim pants be worse than the "buttoned below the butt cheek" boxer short look?

My 60 yo MIL says it takes all her willpower not to "pants" the kids who could barely keep their pants up.

High school just almost doesnt count in the fashion/stupid category. I mean they WALK to school in shorts and sleeveless shirts when it is 17 degrees out.

aphil
05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
first, i did not read all the pages on this thread.
second, i find this to be an extremely petty and negative thread all around.
we as women need to stop making fun of other womens bodies, no matter what they chose to wear.

I want to start off by saying in NO way was I, or anyone here, making fun of women's bodies. No one was saying anything about a woman's body.

The topic started about the selling of low rise jeans in plus sizes, and because of the slim fit through the hips/thighs of them, that they don't fit curvy women well. The complaint was about the JEANS and their fit, not the women wearing them.

Then we all got off on a tangent about their fit in general, and some people like them, and some people don't. We were discussing the jeans and how they fit us, not making fun of the women wearing them-or making fun of their figures.

My particular point, is that no matter what the current style is, that women should dress in clothes that flatter THEIR figure-and not wear something just because it is trendy. My big thing was not wearing low rise underwear, or low rise jeans that actually fit, and the resulting problem being underwear or crack that hangs out when you sit or bend.

No one was making fun of women themselves...we were making fun of the clothes, and the different fashion trends that are actually unflattering to the figure, even though they are in style. :)

(I haven't seen you around the forum much, but I am a costume maker/designer/seamstress and a dance instructor/performer by profession-so I deal with costuming and fitting women all of the time-and it amazes me the stuff that is manufactured and sold that is so unflattering, or plain and simple doesn't fit a woman's body.)

jillybean720
05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
The complaint was about the JEANS and their fit, not the women wearing them.
Yupyup...I don't care if a woman is a size 32 or a size 2--I still don't want to see her thong :p And regardless of size, lots of women have GREAT bodies, but wear very unflattering styles that accentuate the wrong parts. That doesn't mean we're making fun of their bodies--just their pants ;)

I don't get easily offended when people make fun of what I'm wearing (not that that happens often, but I sometimes even do it to myself). At my size.shape, I don't have a lot of clothing options, so I have to make due with what's available. I prefer a good fit and comfort over the latest fashion any day (although I do try to wear "younger" styles, which can be very hard to find).

I actually don't wear jeans very often, as I find them quite uncomfortable. However, I do find the low rise to not fit me as well since I have a big "apron" of fat, so either the low rise don't fit around it, or the "apron" has to go OVER the waistband, and neither method works very well :dizzy:

So I guess I wear "mom" jeans, but they're still boot cut instead of tapered, just with a higher waist. I don't go around lifting my shirt up for people to see the waist of my pants, so it doesn't mater much to me :shrug:

Janie Canuck
05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I've seen plenty of skinny girls who look just godawful in low-rise jeans too, so this isn't just about big girls. Seriously, some high school kids that I see walking to school can't weight more than 115 pounds, but they have a big ol' muffin top, paired, of course, with a belly-baring t-shirt. The low risers cut across an area that tends to be a little soft in a lot of women, regardless of size/weight. And no one looks good with a roll sticking out over the top of their pants.

I may not have a perfect figure, but I like to think I have the wisdom to realize that certain styles just aren't going to work on me, so I don't go there.

Michelle
05-11-2007, 10:37 AM
I've seen plenty of skinny girls who look just godawful in low-rise jeans too, so this isn't just about big girls. Seriously, some high school kids that I see walking to school can't weight more than 115 pounds, but they have a big ol' muffin top, paired, of course, with a belly-baring t-shirt. The low risers cut across an area that tends to be a little soft in a lot of women, regardless of size/weight. And no one looks good with a roll sticking out over the top of their pants.

I couldn't agree with you more, see this all the time, even with some older women.:(

Michelle
05-11-2007, 10:39 AM
hmmm. can the tight slim pants be worse than the "buttoned below the butt cheek" boxer short look?

I guess they're both about equal.:o Some of them wear their pants almost down to their knees and I seriously don't know how they even keep them up.:(

jillybean720
05-11-2007, 10:44 AM
And no one looks good with a roll sticking out over the top of their pants.
AMEN. Even if you are a size 2 and find that you can cram yourself into a pair of size 0 pants, that does NOT mean that the size 0 pants look GOOD :dizzy:

aphil
05-11-2007, 10:59 AM
AMEN. Even if you are a size 2 and find that you can cram yourself into a pair of size 0 pants, that does NOT mean that the size 0 pants look GOOD :dizzy:

Yep. I have a book for mothers, that is about mothers and advice to their daughters, and one of the quotes in it said something like:

"Putting on a smaller size doesn't MAKE you smaller"

onmyown
05-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I actually am relieved when I see a thong...because then I know that they are wearing underwear..in the least..haha..j/k. (in ref to the brittney spears flashings..haha)

No seriously it's hard to buy jeans. But you really must try many on. And I since I've been losing don't stay in a good pair for too long, must take into consideration stretching. I don't like my jeans to be too baggy or I feel sloppy. I started my journey with ONE pair of jeans I wore EVERY day. They were the ONLY pair I could fit into and I refused to buy bigger. So I was thrilled when I got out of them and moved into a different pair. My closet is full of all different sized jeans. But I did shop for a new pair 2 days ago. And
some are so skinny that I can't manuever them over my thighs...I ended up with a pair that do have the capablity of showing my undies if i'm bent over but I wear these great empire waisted (almost dresslike) shirts that cover that area up. And these jeans are really comfortable. So as long as it can't be seen...i'm good to go! haha

harrypotterybarn
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Some of them wear their pants almost down to their knees and I seriously don't know how they even keep them up.:(

But it is kinda funny watching them try to hold them up while running after their (more belted) friends in the mall ;) I've seen more than one accidental flash, including one poor lad who lost his boxers too :o

On the skinny skinny punk men's jeans, a friend of mine runs a punk/skater clothing shop and once a guy came in to buy some new pants. He stayed to chat for a bit, and before he left I couldn't resist asking him how he got his pants on. He kicked his leg up on the counter and said "go on, touch it". After getting over my initial shock I realised he meant the fabric. Those jeans had to be 30%+ spandex! They were more like your traditional stretch pants than jeans. So secrets of punk boys revealed....spandex!!

gettingsmaller
05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I love my Levi bootcut 515. They say they are low cut but the actually come about 1/4 inch below my belly button. I bought some low cut jeans in the JR dept right after my weight loss and I wore them once, just to say I wore a size 7and trashed them "Can you say muffin top?" I make sure I buy my "low cut" in the misses dept. in a size 8. No muffin top for me.
Terrie

baffled111
05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I actually think its tragic that so many slim women are creating muffin tops for themselves with their jeans. Don't they see what the jeans are doing to their bodies?!?!?! I sometimes feel tempted to stop girls on the street and set them straight. Why *create* fat rolls???? Another eternal mystery :)

Personally, I like low-rise jeans (not ultra-low-rise, just low-rise). I don't carry much fat in my hips and don't ever wear jeans that manufacture a muffin top, but I do find that if the rise is too low, they make my legs look really short, so I have to be careful.

As to underwear: I want to plug the Calvin Klein ultra-low rise thongs. They're the best! So comfy (think very, very thin 'G' strap) and so low that they don't show above any jeans. Hooray!

KateRN
05-11-2007, 01:29 PM
i live off of old navy boot cut low rise stretch jeans. - i love them. i buy a size 12 and they stretch out to perfect. they then button right below my navel.

i also have a few paids of old navy boot cut ultra-low rise stretch jeans - and those definately muffin top me if i get them too tight!! if i get a size that actually doesnt squeeze -it fits fine!

zenor77
05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I love my Levi bootcut 515. They say they are low cut but the actually come about 1/4 inch below my belly button. I bought some low cut jeans in the JR dept right after my weight loss and I wore them once, just to say I wore a size 7and trashed them "Can you say muffin top?" I make sure I buy my "low cut" in the misses dept. in a size 8. No muffin top for me.
Terrie

Oh yes, 515's are the best style on me too! They are the only ones I can find that are the right length in the leg (I'm all torso) and they hit my tummy in the perfect spot so that it looks flatter. Yay for levi's!

I have no problem with low-ish mid-rise or mid-rise jeans (or full rise), but if they are so low that you can wear them while 9 months pregnant (with no size difference~yes I've seen this) then you have a problem. It's just not flattering! I think women of all sizes and shapes are beautiful, but we'd all look better if we picked more flattering clothing.

And on the underwear front, Barely There makes a low-rise boy brief that is super comfy and doesn't show any lines (or above jeans.) Personally I'm not a thong fan (as far as wearing them) so these are a wonderful thing.

onmyown
05-11-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/gillian-anderson-dress.jpg (http://www.myspaceantics.com/image-gillian-anderson-dress.jpg.html) Hosted by MySpaceAntics.com (http://www.myspaceantics.com)

How about lowrise...dresses? haha

JayEll
05-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Oh good grief!!!!

Jay

ennay
05-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Ack!!!

baffled111
05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Holy cow!!!

I don't think an occasional flash of thong is the end of the world--I'd rather see thong than butt crack--but that is truly atrocious! Who is that?

Slashnl
05-11-2007, 04:34 PM
OMG. She looks beautiful in that dress otherwise. I wonder if that is a good style or not for the Hollywood types.
She's the actress that used to be on X-Files, right? Can't begin to think of her name.

Beach Patrol
05-11-2007, 04:53 PM
OMG. She looks beautiful in that dress otherwise. I wonder if that is a good style or not for the Hollywood types.
She's the actress that used to be on X-Files, right? Can't begin to think of her name.

Dana Scully from The X-Files... her real name is Gillian Anderson. And I think she is GORGEOUS.

Slashnl
05-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks Beach Patrol. It was starting to get to me, that I couldn't remember her name... almost to the point of needing to google!! I've always thought she was beautiful and really classy looking. Not sure about this particular picture, though. But hey, that might be the style!!

nelie
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Wow ewww!! I do not need to see anyones underwear like that!!

JayEll
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Gillian, Gillian, Gillian... tsk tsk! :nono:

:lol:
Jay

rubberlegs
05-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I know a high schooler who was a chubby kid all his life and now is able to fit into skinny punk jeans. You can tell he loves 'em. All I can say is "GO JESSE!"

But I was surprised to see that style come back. What's next - short shorts for guys? :yikes:

zenor77
05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
But I was surprised to see that style come back. What's next - short shorts for guys? :yikes:

Hey, I'm still trying to figure out why Bermuda shorts came back in fashion. I love the idea of the coverage, but they make anyone with thighs (ie. me) look chunkier than usual.

rubberlegs
05-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I used to have a picture of Gillian and 4 other celebs bending over showing their thong. No idea why I had it, but I did. Apparently she likes butt cracks even more than I thought. :dz:

aphil
05-14-2007, 09:07 AM
I personally think Gillian is gorgeous...but that dress. :?:

Oryx
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I am someone who used to "show thong" when I was slim, and I find it dreadfully tacky now. It all started when that one custom jean designer started designing jeans that would show the butt crack when u sat/bent down on purpose. I think they are called "peekaboo" jeans. Everyone in hollywood was wearing them, and the big denim companies just picked up on it. Nowadays I can't even shop for jeans because I don't have the waist to wear them. And they are always about 2-3 sizes smaller then regular jeans.

And the whole baby tee thing makes me crazy - nowadays shirts are made so different. It's like the tshirt manufacturers/designers intentionally want every woman on earth to either show some type of roll, be it from your bra straps or a muffin top or whatever; or they want the shirt to basically be see-through. Uggghhh!

I find buying jeans in general an annoying experience because all jeans fit differently. I can buy a pair of Bisou Bisou in like a size 16 and the waist won't fit but the thighs/butt will, and a size 14 in Tints and they fit me fine.

The main brand I wear is Tint, you can find them at JCPennys, Sears and Macys. They are the only jeans that I have found that are trendy/comfortable and actually sit AT the waist instead of on your pubic bone. If you want to show that much skin maybe you should just go ahead and take the jeans off.

It's pretty sad when you have to get waxed to wear a pair of jeans.

My 2cents =P