Exercise! - How much time do you exer ea. day...

Sun_Flower2
05-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi! I was just reading an article on cnn health, I think, or it was msnbc but anyways it said for people who lost the most weight and kept it off they worked out about 75 mins everyday! That seems like a lot to me, I guess if you do 30-45 mins of cardio and then some ST or pilates or something it wouldn't be too hard to get 75 mins. But geesh! I am going to start using my treadmill again, (I've been off the boat for the last several months) and start watching what I eat, but I was wondering how much people workout who are successfully losing weight. So many people on here have lost alot of weight, please let me know what your doing and how much!

I know that everyday might be different but just on average or on your regular workout days about how many mins? Thanks everyone!
~Lu
:woops: :tread: :ebike: :workout: :lifter: :belly: :running: :trampo: :bike2: :swim: :strong: :yoga: :wl:

Sun_Flower2
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I thought I would note that as of now I put 0, :^: , becuz other than hiking around campus from class to class I don't get in any extra exercise or physical activity.:(

almostheaven
05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I put 45, but frankly it varies. I may just do 30 minutes some days at home with a WATP video or on my stair stepper and using some hand weights, or spend 1 to 2 hours walking/jogging in the park like today.

I WAS doing 60 to 90 minutes a day for a time when my weight stalled, but later discovered it was stalled because I was pregnant. LOL I managed to lose 3 pounds during that first month of pregnancy from all that exercise and strict 1300 cal. diet. That poor kid of mine was starving. ;) But generally, I try to get in at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Sometimes I can go 5 or 6 days, and some days I'll do over an hour. But not all the time.

srmb60
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I put 45 ... but I'm like almostheaven ... it varies.
Almost everyday I try to walk/jog not less than 20 minutes. And 20 minutes of weights is easy enough to fit in.
An extra walk with a friend or DH adds to and is a nice bonus. And if I'm rollin' and enjoying myself ... a longer weight session isn't hard either.

LindaT
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I do 70-75. I was doing 90, but then I injured myself and had to cut back on the weights.

RidiculouslyAddicted
05-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I put 45, because that's probably about what it averages out to. I either do 50 min. walk/run + 10-15 min. stretching, 45 min. bike + 15 min. stretching & crunches, or 60 min. swimming, 5-6 days a week. Plus I'm trying to add in strength training, but I'm not very good at that!! Maybe once a week IF I'm lucky!

Meg
05-07-2007, 05:13 PM
90 minutes average. :)

baffled111
05-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I put 60, but it's really a little bit more. I do 45 minutes of cardio and about 20-25 minutes of weights. I think if I did 90 minutes each day I'd feel as though I had basically moved in to the gym :)

Diva
05-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Usually about 4 days a week I get in 70 minutes, but there are days when I only do 30 or 60 and some days when I do 2 hours, it just depends on my mood and energy level.

wateraddict
05-07-2007, 05:58 PM
It varies for me. On my workout days I work out 3x a day..morning, afternoon and night. Ususally on my morning workouts and afternoon workouts I work out for 30 minutes but my nighttime exercise I try to go for an hour (usually work out videos for the hour).

almostheaven
05-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Here's one thing I didn't add into my time though. Since changing my lifestyle, I now park at the back of lots, I take steps instead of elevators, I make a point to walk as much every day as possible. I now pace while on the phone instead of sitting, etc. So I'm actually exercising more than what I count as exercise just by these changes to my life.

Ilene
05-07-2007, 08:27 PM
On average I guess I would exercise at least 75 mins... Some days are more, some are less ...

50lbs2go
05-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Here's one thing I didn't add into my time though. Since changing my lifestyle, I now park at the back of lots, I take steps instead of elevators, I make a point to walk as much every day as possible. I now pace while on the phone instead of sitting, etc. So I'm actually exercising more than what I count as exercise just by these changes to my life.

you should wear a pedometer and try to walk about 1 to 3 miles a day and work your way up. i agree, take the stairs and park far away as possible. every little step counts. i try to get in no less than 30 mins a day, but some times life happens and i can only get in 10

almostheaven
05-08-2007, 10:29 AM
you should wear a pedometer and try to walk about 1 to 3 miles a day and work your way up. i agree, take the stairs and park far away as possible. every little step counts. i try to get in no less than 30 mins a day, but some times life happens and i can only get in 10
I actually have one somewhere, but not a very good one. Used to wear it to see, and I was actually logging over 10K steps a day on average.

dollypie
05-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Mon-Fri 60 minutes each day

nelie
05-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I average about 45 mins every day. I exercise every day. My shorter days are about 35 minutes, my longer days are near 2 hours.

Sun_Flower2
05-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Wow! :goodvibes Thanks for all of you answering and adding comments on your actual exercising habits! I'm so glad I posted this poll! Because it shows me how important exercising really is to get this weight loss thing moving (which I already knew but didn't really think about).

:chin: From my Statistics classes I see the data is skewed towards the right ( I hated stats! ;) ) Sorry, just trying to be silly...the-bump-of-most votes is over the 45-60mins options that tells me alot! I will definitely make my goal to be in 45-60 range and work my way up to that 75-90min mark. I know it doesn't have to be everyday, but I realize how important how regular exercising needs to be. If I do what all you people are doing I'll definitely be on my way down that ticker! :broc:

I do go on hikes with my boyfriend and those probably are 1-2hrs depending on the weather and what we feel like, but that's only about 2x month. But since I do that I can keep that incorporated into the exercising I plan to add in to my daily/weekly routine. And when I have exercised in the past, I have done my weights and cardio (usually a TM or Elliptical) in the same day, I really liked that then my "off" weight day I could do whatever cardio I wanted.

Well, thanx again for all the input, it has given me alot to think about! It's inspiring and motivating! I would like to learn more about what people do and I'm sure I will because I plan to utilize this board more often.

But I just wanted to say that I clicked on Meg's before & after pictures link and..."Holy crapola!" :congrat: That's all I could think when I saw that! Only 11 months and you looked like you'd been training all your life! You, Meg, have just given me the biggest dose of hope that I think I ever have had about me losing this weight. After I read that I had to pee and(I know, T.M.I., but..) as I rushed into the bathroom I glanced at myself with a giant smile and thought that could be me next summer! I stepped on the scale 2 days ago and weighed the most I ever have! I decided enough is enough and I don't want to get any fatter, I want to lose the fat! So I'll be glad to see you all around as I finally do this thang!:woohoo:

beautifulstruggle
05-09-2007, 04:58 AM
i do about 60 minutes 5 days a week , about 25 on the cross trainer , 15 on the bike , 10 on the treadmill and then the rest I do weights..... some days I do more as I have a boxercise class every thursday . :)

Meg
05-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks for your kind words, Sunny! :) I truly believe that exercise was a huge part of what got me to goal quickly and what keeps me there five years later. Not only does it help with a calorie deficit, but it got me back in touch with my body and it just feels good. :carrot:

But I'm an old lady -- you, my dear, are going to look BETTER than me next summer!!