Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Bras and weight loss...an adventure!

Whew! This weekend I decided that I could no longer put off buying new bras. The last time I bought some was probably about 20 pounds ago, and things weren't fitting quite like they should. I think it was Glory who mentioned a while ago (somewhere on this forum) that Nordstrom's was a good place to buy bras. So...I went there this weekend. At first, I was just looking around, and declined any real help. I tried on a few bras in the size that I thought I was. Things didn't work out too well, so I decided to get brave, suck it up, and ask for some bra fitting help! Well, turns out that I think I got the least experienced bra fitter, and I ended up in the dressing room for about 1 1/2 hours having her bring me bra after bra. Finally, she got some help from one of the more experienced people, and I was able to find two that fit well.

If only I had known...When I first got there, one of the experienced people asked me if I needed help, but at that time I was just looking and declined. A minute later, I thought of a question, and the less experienced bra fitter happened to ask me if I needed help, and I asked her that question. I always get so confused on what the rules are in the commissions sales world of department stores. Anyone know?!

Anyway, so began the long ordeal with the less experienced person. I ended up getting "fitted" by her. The only thing that really saved me was that I think she had to go home, and the more experienced person completely took over in the end. I think she could have had me in and out much quicker!

I have to say that in the end, getting fitted was completely worth it. I got some bras that fit amazingly well. It made a complete different! They had to order them because of the color I wanted, so I can't wait until they arrive!

Has anyone done bra fitting at Nordstrom's or elsewhere?? How did it work out? Did it take a really long time? Was it worth it?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I have! I am a GIANT fan of bras and bra fittings and properly fitted bras. The right bra can completely change your shape, accentuate your waist and just make your boobs look good. I think EVERYONE should get a proper fitting, fairly reguarly, particularly after losing (or gaining) weight.

Whenever my weight changes significantly, I march myself into Nordstrom or Victoria's Secret and get a proper fitting. Usually it doesn't take as long as it took you though! The worst time I had was when my band size was 35 and my cup size exactly between a C and D. I tried on every single bra in Victoria's secret between a 34C and 36D and couldn't find a single one that fit. Ugh.

Nordstrom is a really nice place for bras. Expensive though. My trick is to get a fitting, buy *one* bra and then make a note of the other brand/model/sizes that I like and then buy them new on ebay for much cheaper. I can swing one $60 bra once in a while, but not 4.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #3  

I STILL can't find a bra that fits me

I've been measured, my band size is 38 & my cup is between an A & B.... for some reason bra makers think if your band size is 38 or bigger you MUST have a cup size of C or bigger!! I have some 38B's, but they're a little loose & just don't fit right but I have to wear something!!

Before I lost weight I still had that problem, I wore a 42C - bra makers think if you have a band size that big, you must be a D cup or bigger!

Ugh - I guess my body is just deformed, huh LOL
Wolfena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Tara. I had to have a fitting done last year as well. I had dropped about 55 pounds by June of last year and with great hesitation slinked into a Victoria Secret store for the first time in 15 years. The store was so overwhelming I didn't know where to begin. Fortunately, they saw me coming. The girl at the entrance had spoken to an experienced salesclerk on her headset to let her know I may be in need of help. Usually I decline in these situations as well but I realized right away that I was totally out of my shopping element and needed some guidance. It also helped that the woman was my mothers age.

Anyway, I explained its been years and a lot of weightloss since I've been fitted and I had no idea where to begin. She took my measurements, declared my size, and gave me a box containing every single bra in their store in that size for me try on. The gave me a nice large room to try them on and then instructed me to call for her when I think that I have found the ones I prefer. After choosing three styles she came into the dressing room to make sure it was the most flattering fit for my shape. It probably took about an hour but OMG what a difference it made in how my clothes fit. She was fantastic. Later that year I returned to be fitted for a strapless I needed for an evening dress. Trust me, I sought her out and withing ten minutes she had the right undergarment for me.

You are right. It is an adventure finding what fits your new body. I think I spent almost every weekend shopping for new wardrobe pieces all summer long. Not because I'm a clothes horse but just because I needed to start all over again and had no idea what size to even take into the rooms. But, that's another thread.

Congratulations on your weightloss, and happy shopping.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfena View Post
I STILL can't find a bra that fits me

I've been measured, my band size is 38 & my cup is between an A & B.... for some reason bra makers think if your band size is 38 or bigger you MUST have a cup size of C or bigger!! I have some 38B's, but they're a little loose & just don't fit right but I have to wear something!!

Before I lost weight I still had that problem, I wore a 42C - bra makers think if you have a band size that big, you must be a D cup or bigger!

Ugh - I guess my body is just deformed, huh LOL

Its the same thing that makes them think that if you are a DDD or larger you MUST be 38 or bigger. I went into VS and asked what they had in my size and they gave me a blank stare.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #6  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I know this is a little off topic. But how many bra sizes should I expect to lose once I am at goal? I haven't been thin since I was in 9th grade and I was a 34B cup then..but I doubt my boobs were fully developed especially since I am now on birth control. I am currently in a 38D and I am scared to death of losing my boobies.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #7  
I have less blubber!

And I highly recommend bra fittings. I stayed in a C cup for the longest time when I was really a large D. My boobs felt SO much better after I got into the right size. I never understood why my boobs were spiling out of the cup LOL. Silly girl huh.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #8  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Sock Monkey - yes, you'll lose in your boobies just as you'll lose in your waist and your hips, but you should achieve a nice perpotitioned look.

I'm now back to a 34B and though I miss my 'fat time boobs', I don't miss all the weight in all the other places.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #9  

Sockmoney 70, (great name btw)
I don't think any of us can tell you how much of your boobs will be lost.... every person is different, it all depends on your genes as to where the weight will come off & how much! I'm quite sure they WILL get at least a little smaller though.

ennay - my daughter has the opposite problem as me! She too went into Victoria's secret for a bra fitting when she was pregnant, they told her she was "off the scale" - her band size was 36 and her boobs exceeded an 'F' - which up until she told me that I didn't even realize bra letters went past DDD.

Too bad the two of us can't blend together for the perfect size, huh!
Wolfena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #10  

The problem with getting "fitted" at Victoria's Secret is that they don't carry a wide range of cup sizes. If you're above a D, you're SOL there and they're going to try to fit you into whatever looks not-too-bad to make the sale.

Nordstrom, or an independent bra store (look in your yellow pages under lingerie or under mastectomy supplies) will be a MUCH better bet if you even suspect that maybe perhaps it's possible that you have bigger than D-cup breasts. Heck, if you even suspect that you're bigger than a C-cup, because most women wear a bigger cup size (and smaller band size) than they initially assume.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #11  
I have less blubber!

I think I am going to start a thread asking people how many cup sizes they lost and how much weight they have lost to get a feel for my impending boob doom.

Thanks for the name compliment! Most people are just like "huh?? sockmonkey?" LOL
Old 05-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #12  

I'm a 38H and I wonder what size I'll go down to as I lose weight but I just hope they stay big enough to keep the curves..
beautifulstruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 228 in 2006/185/160

Height: 5'4"

I started out in a 40DD, after losing 66 pounds I'm still in a 36D. Hubby keeps telling me its time to stop, that he doesnt want me to lose my curves! LOL I've lost 10 inches from both my waist and hips and was surprised that my bra size stayed what it did.
MomOfThreeTeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I posted this in your other thread but for some reason, I actually wear a larger cup size now than I did at my highest weight. I'm not exactly sure why. I used to have trouble filling a C cup and a B cup was perfect. Now I'm wearing a C cup and it looks like I am on the verge of going to D. Lose 125 lbs, gain a cup size? I don't know.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #15  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
The problem with getting "fitted" at Victoria's Secret is that they don't carry a wide range of cup sizes. If you're above a D, you're SOL there and they're going to try to fit you into whatever looks not-too-bad to make the sale.
Victoria's Secret sells bras up to a 40 DD. However I've heard that not all B&M stores have the DD size.

The website sells all of their available sizes.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote