Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Smile ShrinkingChica's Weight Loss Story

Charlotte's Weight Loss Story:

My whole life I was a chubby kid. Then when I turned 10 or so my weight started to skyrocket to the point where I was 12 years old and 217#s. My doctors said nothing. But there was something wrong; I was depressed (biologically based) and withdrew from all society and ate and ate, not caring about what it was doing to me physically and emotionally.
I went on my first diet when I was 13 and learned all about calories and the basics of proper nutrition and lost 25#s.
Then I started gaining again. Slowly, bit by bit it crept on. Then I turned 17, had a major depressive episode, went to a hospital and was pulled out of school. And the weight went on more quickly (despite trying weight watchers).
By the time I was 19 I was about 255#, in college and thoroughly stressed out—I started having panic attacks. And some more weight piled on. I reached my all time high of 272#s when I turned 20.5 years of age (despite having tried atkins and weight watchers again and even nutrisystem).
But, something was changing about me---- I wasn't so depressed anymore and wasn't so anxious. I started to lose weight without even being aware that I was. I casually got on the scale on morning to notice that I had lost 5#s since the last time I weighed myself the previous month. I was astonished because after trying so many diets and seeing them (and me) fail and fail again was disheartening. I actually didn't believe that I could physically lose weight. I thought it was impossible.
Those measly 5#s were a catalyst for me. I felt empowered. I started being consciously aware of what I was eating--- mainly take-out and fast food. I wasn't prepared to give up that lifestyle at first so all I did was modify it: I would order what I would usually have and would only eat half. I started making a concerted effort toward exercise and would walk on the treadmill for about 90min a week.
That was how the first 75#s were lost over the first year. The remaining 60#s were more stubborn and took a further 20 months to lose.
I had to start watching not only what I ate but my calorie intake as well. I aimed for anything below 1750 calories. The overall exercise average stayed the same, though sometimes I would kick things up a bit.
I started getting too fastidious, though. I started graduate school (2 years into the weight loss) and became really very stressed out. I had taken on a much too rigorous course load. The bad anxiety came back. I started fixating on my food intake and would restrict too much and would lose control and binge and purge. It became a very serious issue.
I am still working on my disordered eating behaviors (which was a negative manifestation of my issues with depression and anxiety I think).
I now see a dietician and am working on getting my life back under my healthy, but not obsessive, control.

I think that perseverance is the most important thing in weight loss and that the weight should be lost not through a diet or unhealthy eating but through a healthy and balanced lifestyle that one can continue throughout one's life.

It took me nearly 1,000 days to lose my 136#s and it has been a stormy ride at times. But I have weathered it and am only coming out the stronger as my journey into maintenance begins.

shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

shrinkingchika, you lived up to your name!!!

You are a tremendous inspiration to me! I am in awe of your accomplishments! Thanks so much for sharing your story and your photos. You did find a way!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #3  
glittergirl

Height: 5'1

All I can say is....
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!! What a great story! Best of luck to you!! All of your hard work and dedication has paid off!
glittergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 339/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

WOW! You look amazing!!!!!!
Jniniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #5  
Meg

and thank you for sharing your story.

You look simply wonderful, but I'm still trying to figure out where your hips went?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #6  

Congratulations!! I have been watching your ticker, cheering you on Is it possible to be proud of someone you don't even know? lol I got the biggest smile on my face when I saw you had posted in the goal section! Way to go!! Thank you for the inspiration!
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #7  
No description available.

Thanks so much for sharing your journey. You have accomplished so very much. Hugs to you on this momentous occasion!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Charlotte - You look amazing! Congratulations!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #9  

AMAZING! You look GREAT!! Congratulations!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!
ksk571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #10  
Ready to Be a Loser!

S/C/G: 181/177.8/160

Height: 6'0''

You look amazing and congrats to the weight loss, it is very inspiring.
giovannip811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #11  
Buttermom

S/C/G: 220/205/165

Height: 5.4

U look amazing!!!!! I dont know u and im soooo proud of you!!!!! You must be so relived and u have to feel so much better !!! u look awsome thanks so much for sharing

marie
buttermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Smile

Congratulations on your wonderful success. You are so inspirational. Thank you so much for sharing your story (and the fabulous pics - you look AMAZING). I wish you continued success as you enter into maintenance and the rest of your life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #13  
Susan

S/C/G: 220/161.5/145

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations! You are a great inspiration to this community.
Artemesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #14  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Absolutely amazing. Bravo on a job well done.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #15  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Congratulations, you look simply amazing! Well Done!
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote