Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Trying to eat more fruit (question for you all)

LLV
05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I've never been a big fruit eater. It's not that I don't like fruit, I just never buy it. But lately I've been trying to get more fruit into my diet and I've found a terrific way of doing it; I've been putting fruit on my salads. Had a wonderful salad the other day with avocado and chopped apples and I've also been adding sliced strawberries to salads as well.

What's your favorite way to eat fruit? Do you ever put fruit on your salads? What are your favorites? :)

Glory87
05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I just love fruit. I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day. My absolute favorite fruit are berries - I love them plain. Plains strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or raspberries. Occasionally, I get fancy and dunk strawberries in low fat maple yogurt or add blueberries to baked apples, or roast a little pinapple and dab with a touch of chocolate syrup.

I also love oranges, especially tangelos (it's currently tangelo season!). I love mango and pomegranates (so messy and not in season right now). I like mandarin oranges or pineapple in cottage cheese.

I rarely add fruit to things, but sometimes I do like dried cranberries in my salad, mandarin oranges in my salad can be good too.

alinnell
05-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm the kind that just grabs the fruit and eats it. I don't put it in much of anything except my half a frozen banana in my Fage yogurt or fresh pineapple in my cottage cheese. Fuji apples are my favorite and I just wash and eat. I do like a nice berry mixture for breakfast, but if I'm in a hurry, just a bowl of blackberries is terrific. I seem to reserve my salads for vegetables and beans.

GramTX
05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I love fruit also, but something I have been doing lately is making smoothies. I try to keep frozen fruit. I just mix frozen fruit, water or skim milk and a little splenda in the blender. The amounts are determined by the calories I want to use. They are wonderful and very filling.

rockinrobin
05-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't eat much fruit. Though lately have been eating strawberries, they're quite inexpensive right now. I also like an ocassional Golden Delicious appled, sliced and sprinkled with a little cinnamon.

I have a great salad that I make every couple of weeks:

Baby Leaf Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
Mango, diced
Strawberries, sliced thin
Red onion, sliced thin
Slivered almonds, optional

You can substitute mandarin oranges and craisins instead of the mango and strawberry - that was the original recipe.

I dress it with a little bit of balasamic vinegar. It's delicious.

baffled111
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I love fruit but, aside from bananas, but, like Linda, I rarely think to eat it.

Since strawberries are in season, I have been putting those on salads. I make mine with spinach, a little avocado, strawberries, a few pine nuts, romano cheese and balsamic vinegarette. It's quite yummy!

LLV
05-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Wonderful suggestions so far, thank you! And those salads sound fantastic :)

I've gotta try those soon!

I also like dumping wild blueberries into vanilla yogurt (the only flavor of yogurt I'll eat).

Elanajel
05-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I usually have it as a late afternoon snack--
plain ff yogurt with grapes or berries, sometimes a little bit of GoLean crunch on top.

silver plum
05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I love fruit!! I put it on my salad all the time :)
Lately I have been putting strawberries and pieces of orange on my salad (regular oranges, not mandarin). With the orange I don't even need any dressing! Soo good!

kaplods
05-02-2007, 11:58 PM
I love fruit, and generally just eat it, but I buy frozen berries to make virgin frozen daquiris. They seem so decadent.

I put frozen berries in the blender (maybe 1.5 cup?) cover 2/3 with diet mountain dew or sprite, and pulse until smooth. Yummy! If I want it sweeter, I add a little Splenda, and if I want it tarter, I add a little lemon or lime juice. Usually I don't add anything (unless I use blueberries or cranberries, then I definitely need a little sweeterner)

AmberD
05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I've become a big fruit eater over the last couple months. Usually as a snack I have fruit and a string cheese. Some of my favorites are things that don't take any effort to peel (apples grapes etc)
I love mixing different fruits together in a big fruit salad. Sometimes I take a banana and cut it length wise and put some natural peanut butter on it and close it up!
Every other week I make try to get a fruit I haven't tried before (that's getting harder) but it's how I discovered Pears! (who knew) and Plums (very good) and Kiwis (Good, but not worth the trouble IMO)

Hurray fruit.

Also I like berries in my cereal and oatmeal :)

wisher
05-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I eat a lot of fruit plain by itself but I also love to add it into my morning cereal, I'll add in just about any berry or bananas.

Bikini Dreader
05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
I eat lots of fruit and veggies.

for breakfast I have fruit with a sprinkle of granola on top and some fat free yogurt.
I also put fruit on my salads: manarines/oranges, kiwi, grapes, apples, pear etc.
Sometimes for a snack I'll have apple with cheese or peanut butter or pear with the same or even mellon or pineapple with cottage cheese
I freeze whole grapes and piece of fresh pineapple and have them at night when others are having ice cream. Sometimes I will mix that with a bit of yogurt and pretend it's dessert!

I love dried fruit but I'm not buying it ofr now becaue I started bingeing on it.YOu get all the sugar without the water so it's better to have fresh fruit. Mangoes are in season right now and I am loving them. I put those on salads too!

LLV
05-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions :)

emilyk
05-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I make the most yummy "dessert" for my family that everyone eats up and is quite healthy. I chop up strawberries, and add blueberries if I have them. Maybe banana. (chopped fruit adds up to about a cup, more or less) I take one 8oz container of fat free yogurt, usually vanilla or fruit (this could be made even healthier by using plain yogurt, but we aren't there yet) and divide it up between 3 parfait glasses (or bowls), I mix in a big spoonful of wheat germ and a big spoonful of ground flax seed and mix it up with the yogurt in each bowl. Add the chopped up fruit on top. Sometimes I stop here, and this is a "snack", For dessert, I take a graham cracker and crush it in a bag and sprinkle the crumbs on each bowl, then add a tablespoon of cool whip light to each. Oh my, this is good. If we are being extra sinful, and I have the room for the calories, I shave up a tiny square of dark chocolate and sprinkle the shavings on each. It tastes like cheating.

wateraddict
05-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I loove fruit..I eat alot of bananas, and apples!

rocket pop
05-07-2007, 06:50 AM
One thing my (lactose intolerant) dad makes sometimes is banana `ice cream'.

Basically you get a couple of frozen bananas, peel em (which numbs your hands quite effectively), then blend them up with a bit of whatever takes your fancy.. honey, spice, nuts, soymilk.. Sometimes for a treat there's chocolate chips =]

Doesn't really taste like ice cream, but it's yum anyway.

vanity0326
05-07-2007, 07:47 AM
I am not that big of a fruit eater myself but I try to get my five servings of fruit/veggies in a day. One thing that has helped me tremendously is the smooshed fruit roll up. I found it at costco. It is all natural (organic) with no sugar added. And it is, according to the box, 1/2 fruit on the exchange. It is not pure fruit as it has some stuff added for preservatives but, for a chick like me who is trying every thing she can to jazz up fruit/veggies to eat them, it's been really great.

suechef
05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
My husband recently brought home a giant bag of apples, and we just don't eat that many. So I sliced up several, put them in a baking dish, sprinkled some of my homemade granola over top and some extra cinnamon, covered with foil, baked for an hour, and voila, apple crisp, without all the butter & sugar & flour. Tastes almost identical. You have to cover it so the granola can soften with the moisture from the apples. This makes a great breakfast with some yogurt on top. Also, you could use other fruits.
cheers,
Sue

baffled111
05-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Basically you get a couple of frozen bananas, peel em (which numbs your hands quite effectively),

I have a hint for you: when your bananas start to go brown and you're ready to freeze them, peel them and slice them up and store them in a tupperware container in the freezer. That way when you want to make a smoothie or "ice-cream" they are prepped and easy to throw in the blender. No frozen hands! ;)

rocket pop
05-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I have a hint for you: when your bananas start to go brown and you're ready to freeze them, peel them and slice them up and store them in a tupperware container in the freezer. That way when you want to make a smoothie or "ice-cream" they are prepped and easy to throw in the blender. No frozen hands! ;)

That's such a good idea!

I'm a little backwards with things :B

hellokitty81668
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
I love f alot of summer/ spring fruit and have no problem eating it, now apples, pears and oranges are another story.
When April comes I start to get happy , I know it will be berry season soon, and I can also find Mangos at the mexican markets, yummy. Right now I am buying Mangos by the case and some Papaya to go along with it. I like eating fruit plain. I love black berries and figs make me cry. Next month I am going strawberry picking and will probably eat most of what I pick. I do eat fruit with other things. I make smoothies with them, I eat bananas with cereal or make a fruit parfait with it .
Now oranges, I hardly eat, but have a glass of O.J. or grapefruit juice everymorning. Apples , I will only eat as apple butter or pie , and pears are too sweet for me.
Fruit for me has never been a problem as you can see, it is eating too much junk food.If I lived on an island with just fruit trees, Iwould be fine. lol
cheryl

BlueToBlue
05-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I love fruit in my salads! My two favorite salads are:

cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, raspberries, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper
baby spinach, cucumber, strawberries, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper

I eat most of my fruit plain...an apricot here, and apple there. It's a pretty handy snack. Like HelloKitty, I'm so thrilled for spring and the variety of fruit it brings. I love a good Fuji apple, but after three months of nothing but, I'm ready for apricots and cherries (which thankfully started showing up at my farmers' market two weeks ago)!

I eat fruit on my yogurt. My new favorite breakfast is 1 cup plain NF Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal (or Trader Joe's equivalent), and 2 oz fresh strawberries.

I sometimes get Trader's Joe's frozen mango chunks or raspberries and eat them frozen. The mango chunks taste like sorbet to me.

I love to cook with fruit (I love the unexpected blend of flavors). I'll use mango in stir fries. Or a great lunch for me is brown rice mixed with salsa, pinto beans, chicken, and mango. Later this week I am trying a new recipe for grilled pork tenderloin with strawberry-avocado salsa.

I just recently found a great recipe for plantains. You take 1 lb peeled plantains, cut them into 1-in pieces and boil them for ten minutes or so, until they are tender. Drain the water and mash them with 1/2 cup light coconut milk, 1 tbsp butter or margarine, and 1/4 tsp salt. If divided into six servings, they are about 120 calories per serving and so yummy! They could definitely replace mashed potatoes in my book.

And below is a great recipe that combines chicken, chard, and apples (come to think of it, I should make this again before the apples are gone).

Apple-Chard Chicken

1 tsp olive oil
16 oz chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1/2 cup apple cider
1 Granny Smith apple (about 4 oz), cored, peeled, and sliced
6 cups chopped swiss chard (or spinach) (8 oz total, including stems if using)

Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. You can also dice the chard stems and add them along with the chicken if you want. Cook 5-10 minutes until browned. Remove to plate and keep warm.

Add garlic, mustard, apple cider, and apples to pan. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Return chicken and juices to pan. Cook for about 3 minutes until sauce thickens.

Add chard to pan and toss until wilted, about 1 minute.

Makes 4 servings. Nutrition per serving: 190 calories, 2.5g fat (.5g saturated fat), 14g carbs (2g fiber, 10g sugar), 28g protein.

HeidiMoose
05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I love fruit. I usually just like to eat it straight though.
and i absiloutely love fruit juice and fruit salads.

unfortunetely.. the fruit puts me on such a sugar rush that i'll find myself hungry less than a half an hour after consumption... =[

but still...
fruit is very good :D

justlost
05-16-2007, 04:10 AM
I have a friend who is too obese. He feels he is out of the society and that no one wants him. Even I’m fat but not like him. I have tried to tell him to watch out over his food but this does not seem sufficient. I will send you his pictures and tell me what he should do. I can’t send his picture directly because if he sees his picture on the web he’ll be displeased so I’m going to upload the picture over an image hosting (http://www.2and2.net)site so that I can only post an image address only. Please see the picture. In my next post I’ll send his picture.

LLV
05-16-2007, 09:05 AM
I have a friend who is too obese. He feels he is out of the society and that no one wants him. Even Iím fat but not like him. I have tried to tell him to control his food but this does not seem sufficient. I will send you his pictures and tell me what he should do. I canít send its picture directly because if he sees his picture on the web heíll be displeased so Iím going to upload the picture over an image hosting (http://www.2and2.net)site so that I can only post an image address only. Please see the picture. In my next post Iíll send his picture.

Maybe give him the address to this site and ask him to come on and talk to everyone :)

And thanks for the fruit suggestions, you all have some really yummy ideas!

MoragMunch
05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
This thread is making me hungry! So many great ideas.

I eat fruit by itself or mixed together (ie, kiwi with strawberry and banana)

Also, I add fruit to:

*Green salads
*Ice cream, when I have a treat
*Poundcake, when I have a treat
*Yogurt
*To pancake mix just before cooking --just slice thinly, but put lots in
Then I add more pieces to the top of the pancake and add maple syrup
*I crush the fruit with a fork until it is fairly mushy and then just add it to toast or a bagel instead of jam.
*I blend it into a smoothie
*I blend it and add it to watered down fruit juice .... ie, I will put 1/4 cup of OJ in a glass, and blend half an orange, add that and fill the rest with cold water.
*I like to add fruit to my pizza ... such as mango or pineapple.