Old 05-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/160/130

Height: 5'3"

Smile Whey Protein?

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I have been lurking for a while but just recently decided to join. I have always been a calorie counter and yo yo dieter but I have just recently discovered the benefits of high protein. In the past I never counted anything but fat and calories and have had some success but usually at the expense of being hungry. I have tried atkins but cannot stick to this so I have decided to incorporate high protein and calorie counting to eat a more balanced diet. I keep track of this through Fitday. I have heard a lot of people talk about whey protein and the benefits. I have researched this and found this may be something I want to try but there are so many options I don't know where to start. Should I get flavors and drink shakes, should I get unflavored and mix with food, or mix with food with flavored powder. Does anyone use whey protein as part of their diet? Any help would be appreciated.
sde127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde127 View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I have been lurking for a while but just recently decided to join. I have always been a calorie counter and yo yo dieter but I have just recently discovered the benefits of high protein. In the past I never counted anything but fat and calories and have had some success but usually at the expense of being hungry. I have tried atkins but cannot stick to this so I have decided to incorporate high protein and calorie counting to eat a more balanced diet. I keep track of this through Fitday. I have heard a lot of people talk about whey protein and the benefits. I have researched this and found this may be something I want to try but there are so many options I don't know where to start. Should I get flavors and drink shakes, should I get unflavored and mix with food, or mix with food with flavored powder. Does anyone use whey protein as part of their diet? Any help would be appreciated.
I have bought unflavored whey protein and added it to my breakfast shake (1 c banana, 1 c plain yogurt, up to 1 c milk and 2 T whey protein powder). I really can't tell that it is there! I know some people buy the flavored kind, but I've not tried it myself.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #3  

Hi!

I use whey protein as a part of my diet, not daily though. I use Jay Robb's whey protein - I like the chocolate and vanilla flavors. It is the best tasting protein on the market, has none of the additives that some other protein powders have. It's made with stevia, too!

I like to mix mine with milk, and it makes a delicious shake that is sweet and dessert-like. There are a lot of recipes for different drinks with the protein powder (vanilla with berries is popular), but I like the plain-ol' milkshake kind. It has 24g protein per scoop. Made with 1 c. of skim milk, it has 32g. I use mine for a snack with some fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde127 View Post
cjc92802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #4  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Hi!
I'm not usually a fan of protein powders, but I do really like Whey Gourmet, its sweetened with splenda and it's really good.
I have it just with milk, I have also had it mixed with a bit of prepared oatmeal and boy does that stick to your ribs! lol

Usually when I use it , I use it for 3 different reasons:
1. Its breakfast and I so don't want any of the choices on my plan (rarely)
2. Snacktime or mealtime will be coming up shortly , I'm not hungry and I'll be going out for a few hours and its not feasible to pack a lunch- so I have a quickie shake to do me until I get home to eat..so I'm not hungry.
3. Perfect thing to have if you get that "little voice" after supper that just wants junk- it really keeps cravings at bay.

I haven't used any in a couple weeks though. The easiest way I find is to use an immersion blender and a big wide mouth mug for mixing. then you can just rinse the blended and not dirty any other dishes at all (I can't just shake it- it needs to be perfectly homogenous)
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I use Soy Protein powder from Trader Joes. It doesn't taste like much, it's not sweetened. I add it to soups or oatmeal or a smoothie among other things. It has 110 calories per serving, 23g of protein. I try to boost my protein because I'm working out trying to build muscle.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote