Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Default Size Double Zero

I was shopping at the mall last week, and I was looking for jeans, and was shocked to discover that they are now selling clothing in size "00".

Have any of you seen this lately? I can't believe it. What is wrong with women's clothing? Is it the vanity sizing, or are they trying to get younger and younger girls to shop at women's stores??? What's next, Triple Zero? I think eventually, the stores are going to only sell Zeroes. It can range from Quintuple Zero to plain old Zero. That way, everybody is Zero!

It's so depressing, because who knows WHAT size we are anymore. I may be buying a size 6, but it's probably the equivalent of a size 10 a decade ago. You know what I also notice when shopping is that it's really hard to find sizes in the middle range. You go down the rack, and it's like "0, 2, 12, 14, 16..." I think the retailers are all in cahoots to make us all think we're "average" or something, when in reality most American women are overweight.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, it's that "vanity sizing." I don't know what to make of it. Who knows what size to buy anymore.

One of the 3FC members once commented that men would never put up with this nonsense.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #3  
Too Busy to Breathe

S/C/G: 183/164/143

Height: 5' 6"

My Weight Watcher leader told us on Monday that her daughter told her that size 8 is considered plus size now!

Like where? In Bizarro World?

Meg Cabot wrote a very funny book called "Size 12 is not Fat." It's about an ex-teen pop star who works in a college and people keep asking her if she quit because she got "fat." The next book in the series is called "Size 14 isn't Fat either."
romancechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #4  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

A few weeks ago my husband and youngest son were clothes shopping, so I went over to the Misses section to try on clothes for myself. I was still busy, and they had already finished and came over to meet me. Neither of them try on their clothes. They just buy their pants in the measurement that they know they are, and my husband buys shirts in the neck and sleeve length that he is, and they are DONE.

My son who is eighteen had noticed the 10, 12, 14 etc. on the racks and asked me what those numbers meant. He thought they were INCHES and was trying to figure out how someone could be 10 INCHES anywhere! I explained to him that the numbers were sizes that girls' and women's clothes could be. He wanted to know why I had to try on everything. When I explained that a 14 in ONE BRAND might be the same size as a 16 or even an 18 in ANOTHER BRAND he was incredibly shocked. He said, "Mom! I'm really sorry that there are such dumb rules for girls!"

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?!!!!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I've posted on this topic before. I think it's just plain silly how far off women's clothing can be from one store to the next and from one decade to the next. I have a few pieces of clothing left in my wardrobe from the 90s and they are much larger sizes than the clothing I buy today. My current wardrobe ranges from size 10s to size 4s.

I'm a 6 at Old Navy, 4 at Ann Taylor, and either a 4, 6 or 8 at Banana Republic (depending on the particular article of clothing). I have to take several sizes of one article of clothing into the dressing room because I never know what size I'm going to be. Oy.

I do wish we had men-like sizing. Inches are inches. If I'm a 27 waist, 32 inseam, let me try on 27/32 jeans. It's not that difficult!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/145/115

Height: 5foot2

I suppose some women are happy that it dosen't say your size in inches (heck even i would feel self concious letting everyone know exactly how big i am) plus i suppose it mystifies the men a little if you say your size 12 it confuses them as to your "real" size if you get what i mean?
But it sucks when clothes fit in one store but not another i get reli happy when im a size 10 in one store but then i go in another and im a 16 you think to yourself "how the **** did i gain THREE sizes walking from one store to the other? did i eat the food court on the way across the mall or something?"
oh yeah and on the size 00 debate i have a friend who is size 00 shes reli short and basically lives off sushi and rice nuff said
mascara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascara View Post
im a size 10 in one store but then i go in another and im a 16 you think to yourself "how the **** did i gain THREE sizes walking from one store to the other?
Musta been kinda hungry huh?

I hate that too! - I recently found a great deal on some skorts, which I LOVE, because they wear like shorts & look like a skirt. But they were all different name brands, etc. I bought two in a size 12, four in a size 10, and three of them were SIZE 16! - Now, I weigh 160 & am 5ft3" ... what the heck am I supposed to believe my size is???
And THIS is why I try EVERYTHING on, and I'll buy anything from furniture to cars on the internet, but I will NEVER buy clothes on the internet!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #8  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Vanity sizes drives me crazy because I small and what should fit me doesn't anymore. What happened to my size? It's become bigger.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascara View Post
I suppose some women are happy that it dosen't say your size in inches (heck even i would feel self concious letting everyone know exactly how big i am) plus i suppose it mystifies the men a little if you say your size 12 it confuses them as to your "real" size if you get what i mean?
I always wondered if that was the reason behind it all... initially that is, now, it's all about money. I mean, in the 1950's sizes started at 8 and went up to 20 something (an "8" being the equivalent of today's 0"). I just don't understand why we can't have measurements, like men do?

But I guess that wouldn't be as profitable as messing with women's biggest insecurity to get them to fork over their credit cards. I think about myself in Macy's, trying on something in "my size" (whatever that is) and thinking "Eh, it's ok, but I don't love it..." versus being in Macy's trying on something a size, or TWO sizes, under "my size" and thinking "Eh, it's ok, but wow, I fit into a size ___". Which scenario results in me buying the "eh" item? What motivation do retailers have to change?
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Have you ever purchased vintage clothes? I purchased a vintage clothing item in size I thought would be way too large for me, then when it arrived, it was a perfect fit! I now shop online at vintage clothing stores for more better measurements and sizings.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 AM   #11  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Haha I wore a size 0 when I was 12 and weighed 99 pounds..I can only imagine the girl who wears a double 0.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey70 View Post
Haha I wore a size 0 when I was 12 and weighed 99 pounds..I can only imagine the girl who wears a double 0.
Girl...I hear you on that one. When I was 18 I wore a size 0. I had a size 18 inch waist. I look at the tape measure now at 18 inches and can not believe how skinny i really was. How skinny is a double zero??? I remember when i had sex, my boyfriend always complained about my hips bones digging into his hip area. I don't want to be that skinny again.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #13  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

One of my managers long ago was a size 0 and boy oh boy was she proud of that! She was a stick figure with hair basically! I can't beleive size 8 is now plus size? My mom is a size 6, does that mean that shes the next plus size? There is no fat on that woman! She's a toothpick!

My husband does not understand women's sizes either, he asks me why they don't just use the measurements like men sizes do........
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #14  

A little off topic...but I was at GNC and noticed a new weight loss supplement they were touting next to the register. It was in a curved, sleek black box and it was called: 'SIZE 0" I kid you not!

I picked it up and waved it at the poor clerk and said: "Give me a flippin' break! Size ZERO!!! What cementhead named this product!"

Fortunately, he had a sense of humor and agreed with me.
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:05 AM   #15  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Wow, did I read that right? Size 8 as plus size? Where? How frequently? I live in the UK and as I understand it, US size 8 = our size 12, ie very normal for a lot of women! Is 8 plus size in all US shops, or just some? Also, for my info, how available is size 0? Is it everywhere? Or only in some shops? (I ask cos I'm a writer and have an interview soon where I might discuss some of this from a feminist perspective). Thanks
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote