Support Groups - Liquid Dieters - Shakin' it Up!

View Full Version : Liquid Dieters - Shakin' it Up!

NillaWafer
05-01-2007, 11:01 AM
This is a shout out to anyone doing a liquid diet or modified liquid diet. Please, join in on the thread if you are interested or looking for support. I could use all the diet buddies I can get.

I am on HMR system but am quickly finding that there are many more out there. Today is the first day of my 9th week of full liquid fast and as of last week am down 33 pounds..woot woot! I am feeling great and aside from some lactose intolarance issues the first few weeks it has been smooth sailing.

Nilla:)

shakey
05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Nilla~Congrats on losing 33lbs!!:carrot: That is wonderful!!
I am beginning my full fast liquid diet today. I have been a yo yo dieter for years and realize now that I have to finally get a grip and really do something to get my health back. Liquid diets usually get such a bad rap but after doing some research and checking out various programs some are very healthy and often doctor supported.
Hopefully my new diet and support from this forum will be what I need to begin my journey to a new way of life as a happy, healthy person rather than spending another day feeling yucky inside this fat body.

shakey
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Almost thru with my first day and I am really amazed at how the shakes taste. I thought they would be chalky and nasty but they arent bad at all! Maybe I have finally taken the right path to getting healthy with a plan I can live with. My hardest thing is to resist the temptation of reaching for food out of habit, I didnt have a chance to get hungry having a shake every 2-3 hours. Actually I had to remind myself to have the shakes.

NillaWafer
05-01-2007, 08:44 PM
One day down....what flavor shakes do you get? I get vanilla and chocolate but am allowed to add a couple of teaspoons of fat/sugar free pudding to my shakes. My favs are pistachio pudding to vanilla and banana pudding to the chocolate. My shake powder also makes a decent hot chocolate too.

On the first day I didn't feel hungry at all, that hit me a few days later and I suffered for a couple of weeks but then I got used to it. After about week 3/4 it became much easier.

Keep me posted! Are you doing any exercise with your diet?

shakey
05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
I have choc., vanilla, strawberry, island tropic smoothie, choc. mint, and some cocoas and cappuccinos. I might have more flavors in the bottom of the box--I havent checked it all out yet but it should give me enough variety so I dont get bored. The shakes can be made like pudding if I want. I may give that a go tomorrow. I just want to keep focused and stay on track for as long as I can.
Exercise? Who me?? lol!! No not at all, but I am going to start doing some walking even if I just do my Walk away the Pounds dvd. Right now I am in no shape for a workout of any kind:(

NillaWafer
05-02-2007, 01:31 AM
I had my weekly weigh in and class tonight: down 4.6 pounds
I am very excited since last week I had a much smaller loss. I also get to reduce one of my blood pressure meds so that makes me happy.

Shakey - start off slow w/ exercise, you will start seeing an improvement before you know it. Prior to starting my LD I had lower back and hip pain so bad that it was hard to walk for an extended period of time. My first day I did a WATP dvd and then just started increasing from there, within a couple of weeks I was back up to 5 miles (where I was prior to my big weight gain) and am now training for the breast cancer 3-day. I try to shoot for around 4,000 physical activity calories a week, in my program the minimum is 2000 a week.
Let me know how your second day goes.

shakey
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Nilla~You are doing so great!! What an inspiration!! Thanks for the advice on exercise--just being able to function normally is going to be so wonderful! Right now a trip to the store is like a mountain hike for me!! It will be so nice when the weight comes off and I can actually have a normal day with out my fat being an issue. I am tired of having the flab control me and keep me prisoner.
Well, time for my breakfast shake. Have a great morning and I will check in later.

NillaWafer
05-03-2007, 12:13 PM
How was day 2? I hope all is well. I know for a lot of people the first week can be rough, it was more like the first 3 weeks for me.

All is well on my side, just trying to find some time to squeeze my exercise in. It has been a busy week.

Nilla

SuGyong
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm just popping my head in for a moment. I started the liquid diet on a "quick lose 10 pounds" thing, but then Lent came around and I said "Gee. Diets are so much easier to stay on when God is backing it up!" Oh yeah. So for a total of 42 days I did liquid only and lost 4 pounds a week.

It's HARD, though! I was actually watching people eat in slow motion! As soon as Lent ended.. yup. pigged out on everything and gained it all but 4 pounds back. yuck. Am thinking about going back on it long-term.

Have fun ladies! Stay strong!

NillaWafer
05-03-2007, 05:30 PM
42 days is great! There are times that it takes an extreme amount of willpower to get through the day. The sad reality of a liquid diet (and it can be said of any diet) is the easy part is losing the weight, the hard part is keeping it off.

:) Nilla

SuGyong
05-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Well, today I am going back on it. My friends were all worried about me last time, so I'm not going to bother mentioning it this time. :) Hubby is ok with it as long as I get all my nutrition in. :)

FitMomEB
05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi there :)

I found a seemingly good meal replacement but it's kind of expensive: if I do 2 shakes a day it only lasts for 1 week, and it costs slmost 40 dollars per jar!

What are you gals using? Could you also give an example of a normal day for you? Do you have a cheat day to reset your metabolism or something?

NillaWafer
05-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Sygyong - Good luck on your restart. I know what you mean about people "talking", I am starting to get some of the same but little do they realize that I am still considered obese on the BMI scale. Do you think people's perceptions of weight changing, where they think healthy is sickly? Keep me posted on your progress.

FitMomEB - I am doing the HMR program through a local University Medical Center. The program I do is very low calorie where I consume 5 shakes a day for a total of 540 calories a day. I medically monitored on a weekly basis plus I have to attend 2 hour nutrition classes once a week. This program is very strict in many ways, not only calories but also in the amount of minimum exercise you do and your attendance. This is what I needed to whip my butt in shape..I am feeling great and have some great momentum.

There are a lot of other programs: some full liquid fast and others are modified liquid fast. Here are just some that I have heard of: HMR, Optifast, Medifast, New Lifestyle and Slimfast. What meal replacement where you thinking of using?

Nilla

nineteen
05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Anyone here on ********?

NillaWafer
05-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I have not heard of this, do tell.

SuGyong
05-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I go by the hospital liquid diet which means nothing solid, so jello, yogurt, ice cream and pudding are in. I still lose maximum 4 pounds a week when I'm on the ball. This is without exercise.

:) An especially hungry day-
Tea with honey (just my preference), can of soup or a slim fast shake.
Tea, tea, tea... if I get too snacky I'll have some jello or applesauce.
Spaghetti sauce with cheese melted into it (same as spaghetti, but no carbs- also gives you your vitamins) or some V8
More tea :), chocolate milk
Can of soup
Ice cream or yogurt

I know it sounds like I'm eating a lot of non-diet food, but I'm taking in around 800-1000 calories a day, so losing around 3-4 pounds a week, keeping all of my vitamins and protein. My favorite meal for on-the-go is a small chocolate milkshake and a small rootbeer.

Sometimes though, I just want to CHEW something!!! Gum is my friend. :)

FitMomEB
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
How does spaghetti sauce with melted cheese give you vitamins?

FitMomEB
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
FitMomEB - I am doing the HMR program through a local University Medical Center. The program I do is very low calorie where I consume 5 shakes a day for a total of 540 calories a day. I medically monitored on a weekly basis plus I have to attend 2 hour nutrition classes once a week. This program is very strict in many ways, not only calories but also in the amount of minimum exercise you do and your attendance. This is what I needed to whip my butt in shape..I am feeling great and have some great momentum.

There are a lot of other programs: some full liquid fast and others are modified liquid fast. Here are just some that I have heard of: HMR, Optifast, Medifast, New Lifestyle and Slimfast. What meal replacement where you thinking of using?

I know, there are a lot of different products, I looked into most of them and I found that most contain milk protein or soy protein isolate which I don't want to consume. So it was between Weight RESET by Nature's Way and Ultimate Meal by Garden of Life, which are whey protein-based. I bought Ultimate Meal and I hate it with water but like it with almond milk (unsweetened). It's a bit expensive though - but I guess if I want something that is good quality I cannot complain about that :)

nelie
05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
SuGyong, are you monitored by a doctor?

FitMom, I'm not sure if you were trying to distinguish between whey protein and milk protein but whey protein is a dairy product. One of my favorite products is Ultimate Meal by Ultimate Life which is completely vegan (no dairy). I'm shaking things up for myself but I was drinking it every morning and my husband still does. The taste does take a little getting used to though.

FitMomEB
05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
FitMom, I'm not sure if you were trying to distinguish between whey protein and milk protein but whey protein is a dairy product. One of my favorite products is Ultimate Meal by Ultimate Life which is completely vegan (no dairy).

There is a distinction between milk protein and whey protein. Whey protein is made from whey, which is a dairy product, however whey protein powder per se is not a dairy product. Protein from whey protein powder is the most bio-available type of protein, and it is much easier on the stomach than milk protein, as whey protein is virtually lactose-free.

I don't do well on milk protein but I do well on whey protein. My favorite is the fat Flush Whey but you can only get it from UniKey so I now buy Jay Robb's. Of course that's not a meal replacement product, just a protein supplement.

I don't do so well on most vegan products, I find that I get bloated. But I have a friend who is intolerant to whey so I'll tell her about the product you recommended.

nelie
05-10-2007, 01:23 PM
FitMom, yup I am aware of the distinction but I've heard others say whey is vegan which obviously it isn't :) When I was drinking the Ultimate Meal, I was halfing it with a whey protein powder but I really liked it and its ingredients so I do recommend it for your friend or anyone who would like a total meal replacement.

FitMomEB
05-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Oh, you are absolutely right, it's not vegan.

I think the confusion may come from the fact that many "superfood" powder supplements contain powdered spirulina, chlorella etc but also whey protein, so maybe some people started thinking it was also a vegan ingredient.

Example: Living Fuel, SP Complete... I'm sure there are others.

NillaWafer
05-10-2007, 05:19 PM
My husband recently bought the metabolic ReSet (nature's Way) and he likes it but thinks it is a little thin. I think he plans on using it mostly with fruit mixed in as a supplement instead of a total meal replacement.

FitMomEB
05-10-2007, 05:43 PM
My husband recently bought the metabolic ReSet (nature's Way) and he likes it but thinks it is a little thin. I think he plans on using it mostly with fruit mixed in as a supplement instead of a total meal replacement.

Yup, I agree. I think it's find for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack but too light for dinner.

Ultimate Meal is a bit thicker because it contains a special kind of fiber, and it fills you up... but 2 hours later I'm hungry, regardless. I think these shakes are too low in fat. For those of us with who do best on a bit more fat (I'm mediterranean, do well on a bit more fat of the monounsaturated kind) it's just not filling enough.

Bean87
05-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,this diet sounds really interesting to me but I do have a couple of questions

First, do you guys know if it will work if I take in around 1300 calories?
Second, if you do lose the weight you wanna lose, do u end up gaining it back in maintainence if you go back to solids?

I'm not too familiar with this diet so any any info will be appreciated.thanx

nelie
05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Bean,

I'm not a liquid dieter but I do use meal replacement shakes. I popped in here because one of the ones I've used in the past was mentioned.

All diets work by restricting calories so if you are restricting them to 1300 calories, then you will most likely lose weight if you are eating more than that.

One thing you should know about any eating plan you go on is that you should make sure you are getting all the nutrients that your body needs. Look for well balanced meal replacement shakes and also inspect the ingredients.

For those that go on very low calorie diets (under 1000), they should be under their doctors supervision. 1300 calories isn't considered a very low calorie diet but it still wouldn't hurt to check with your doctor or a nutritionist.

Almost forgot to mention that almost any diet can help you lose weight but what you do once you lose the weight is up to you. You would still need to restrict your calories once you get to your goal weight in order to maintain your weight loss. Some diets also can result in muscle loss so it is important to eat a good percentage of protein as well as exercise while you are losing weight in order to minimize your muscle loss. The more muscle you lose, the slower your metabolism.

SuGyong
05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Thank you for caring! :)

Spaghetti sauce is rich in vegetables (of course) and good cheese adds dairy. I'm very careful throughout the day to make sure I get as many of the food groups as I can. The only thing that having sauce and cheese cuts out of a spaghetti dinner is the pasta! And pasta is just filler anyway.

What I was trying to get across on the post (which I've obviously done badly :^: ) was that I am NOT starving myself. I'm merely making it more labor intensive to eat and therefore cutting out all the side snacking.

I didn't mention it since it's a new addition this go-around (and only 3 or 4 days in on it now), but one day a week I allow myself ANYTHING I want for the entire day. Cuts out the binging because I know I can have it in just a day or three.

My friends worry about me because they don't listen long enough for me to tell them that I am NOT just drinking tea 24/7. They automatically assume that I am since they don't think about how much food out there is available. I can walk into almost any restaurant and find something good. I could even puree a steak and that would count. (ew.) It's all about labor intensity and whether or not I'm actually hungry enough to search for it.

Last time I did this (Feb-april) there was no difference in my energy levels, blood pressure, moods, etc. There is one difference, and that is: I have to pee constantly!! :) :D I was still able to do martial arts two times a week, run my kids to whatever things they have to do, garden, ride my motorcycle, etc etc etc. :carrot: I am not lying limply on my couch refusing to eat which is what people (bless them) seem to be worrying about. :smug:

"Liquid diet" foods:
ANY soup (vegetable, cream of celery/broccoli/mushrooms, etc)
Any sauce
slim fast/ultimate meal, etc
yogurts, puddings, ice creams
baby food (if you really want to..)
any drinks (of course)
In other words... anything not solid. If I can eat it with a fork, I put it down and back away slowly. :D

NillaWafer
05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi SuGyong,

If you took a slice of pizza and threw it in the blender w/ some water and made a shake out of it would that count? tee hee...I have often dreamt of doing that and then I stop myself and consider what that might really taste like :)

Nilla

RobinAnn
05-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I'll pop in to say that I've been doing Health and Nutrition Technology's HealthOne meal replacements since Sept 20, 2006. HNT is a meal replacement that can be made into shakes and with minor (very minor) effort, can be made into tasty muffins.

The way my coach and doctor use this program is 4 meal replacements, 3 veggies, and 2 fruits a day. The use of fruits and veggies :carrot: is to start good habits early in weight loss and provide some great nutrition. (The program can also be done 5 MRs a day only but my coach's research has shown there isn't much difference in weight loss.)

In the first 20 weeks (foundation) of the program I lost approx. 65 pounds. I've lost another 15 in the past 13 weeks (I've been slacking some). I'm thrilled with my progress though. I've gone from 3x tops to 1x tops; size 24+ pants to size 18. I can walk around our property without a second thought (28 acres). I feel like a new person; or maybe my old (thinner) self.

If you are curious you can google myhealthone for the company site. Unfortunately this program is in very few select cities; Indianapolis, Durango, Jackson Hole, and I don't know where else. For me, the key to the program is my coach. She's not pushing the program (because I could see her pushing any other method that she might be affiliated with) but she's truly a coach.. not unlike an athletic coach. She makes us do things that we don't want to so that we can achieve the goals we do.

NillaWafer
05-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi RobinAnn,

Thanks for sharing your program with us. It is nice to know all the options that are available. You are lucky you can modify your MR's into muffins, that sounds good.
Great job on your weightloss, keep us posted!

Nilla

NillaWafer
05-17-2007, 05:48 PM
It has been awhile since I have posted my progress, I have been very busy with the end of school coming up next month. Anyway, I few weeks ago I had a big drop of 5.8 lbs so the next week I only had a 1.8 pound drop. I am not complaining...any drop is good and according to my orginal estimates I am way below my projected loss for this date.

We have been going over calories and portion sizes in class and it always depresses me. I guess I start thinking that there are some things that I will never be allowed to have again. I know this is "wrong" so I tell myself I will be able to occassionally indulge in these little treats but I will have to plan ahead for them. I know myself and making up for an indulgence after the fact is a joke, I am going to have to do it before hand. I am going to have to earn that treat!

NIlla

Salem Cindy
01-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Hello everybody, I have been looking for a diet support blog. I am on the Healthone Meal replacement program and would love to connect with some other people out there. Is this the forum to join? Looking forward to sharing this journey with some cyber-friends. Thank you

Dorachelle
07-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi Nilla and Others on HMR:

I just started HMR about a month ago and have lost 22 pounds.

If anyone is having trouble with lactose intolerance on the program or is concerned about starting HMR due to its heavy reliance on shakes and difficulty processing dairy products, know that HMR offers a vegan shake that contains no dairy and is suitable for people who suffer from intolerance to lactose -- the HMR "70" shake. It is also lower in calories than the traditional "800" and "500" shakes and can be made into either a pudding or shake, as desired.

I am not lactose intolerant but am planning to switch to the "70" shakes simply because I like them more, and they're more versatile and easier to use when a blender isn't available or you're in a hurry. You do need to consume more of them than the other shakes to meet the minimum prescription, but, comsuming more food has never been my problem! If you haven't tried these, it would be well worth the try.

The 5-Bean Casserole entree is also, I believe, vegan.

Good Luck!.....:cheer:.....Donna

dorothy52
06-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I am currently doing the HMR program, I call in once a week rather than go to the clinic. I started out thinking that the shakes were good but not crazy about just chocolate and vanilla. Then I saw purchased some extracts and fountain flavors from the hackley health management site. They have ever flavor you can image. I love the raspberry. I am a berry kind a gal. It is another option for you. Have a great week end and I hope every body looses weight.