Exercise! - May Biker Chicks Chat

View Full Version : May Biker Chicks Chat

AnneWonders
05-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Somehow we fell off onto page 2!! Everyone come post, road, mountain, stationary.

Happy May! My DD did her first bike race on Sunday. She's a year and a half old, and did the whole thing on her tricycle. DH helped her. 1/4 mile. A good start, even if it was kind of hot, and she just chowed on the post race watermelon.

After a couple of bad weeks with a nasty stomach flu, and followed up by an emergency root canal, my goal is to get myself out again this week.

How are you all doing?

Anne

ennay
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
well...I havent been able to get to the gym so my biking in april has been pathetic. I am a wimp with cold weather biking. Monday a.m. is going to be my official biking day...once it gets warmer, it was still only 40 yesterday so I ran.

but i did finally buy a new helmet!

My goal for may is to get out on a real bike at least twice! (small goals!)

mudbug
05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey guys!!

I've been away from the computer for a while, but not from biking. Went on a

another group ride Sat. we rode 20mi. it was a beautiful route threw winding

moss covered trees, next to a river, truely what South La. is all about!! I got

a comp. so I can see my stats , and I've been riding farther than I realized.

Sunday- 20 mi.

Teusday-18mi.

The weather has been rather warm, so I try to get out in the morning before it warms up.

Rhonda:bike:

Ilene
05-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks Anne for re-booting this thread again :D... With the nicer weather coming along it'll be nice to post our trips and adventures on bike :D...

I have been biking :D and I am loving my new bike ... Today I did 15k/9miles and it was on the coolish side bue refreshing ... The first weekend I had my bike, 2 weeks ago, I biked over 100k :D it was awesome ...

katrs5
05-02-2007, 03:03 PM
It was recommended I post my bike question over here to get some answers...if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I have a lot of weight to lose. I want to start bicycling, but will need to take my bike to a nicer area to ride (I live in a questionable neighborhood that my hubby would not want me riding alone in). So, I'm looking for a good bike that is for a beginner that can transport well (on one of those rack thingies).

I've been thinking about a comfort bike with a nice sized seat, b/c the handlebars are up higher and therefore I think would be easier on the back. Does anyone know if that's a good beginner bike. I'd be riding in the city, no off road stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion?

mudbug
05-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello katras5,

A couple of months ago I purchased a hybrid bike.{ trek- hybred 7100}.I was riding a cruiser and felt I needed a bike with more to offer but still want the comfort. A hybred is a cross between a road bike and a comfort bike. I get the speed I NEED TO KEEP UP WITH OTHERS. My handle bars are higher than the flat bars so I ride in a upright position, and they can be tuned up more if needed. It has suspension in the front fork and in the seat for a smoother ride, and the tires are in between rode and comfort size for more conroll. I absolutly love it and now can put some decent miles in for a good workout. It's not the kind of bike if your looking to get some racing or long touring because of the weight. I have no problem lifting it up onto my bike rack and Have had back surgery. I did need to purchase a extension bar so it will fit on my bike rack being it is a womans bike.

Visit a few bike shops and cheeck out the comfort and hybred bikes , take them for a spin and see what feels comfortable. Due to a bum hip that hurts to walk,or jog I have found biking the key to getting a good workout to burn the weight off and whats most important I LOVE IT!!

Good luck and let me know how the search goes.

Rhonda:bike: :bike2: :bike: :bike2: :bike: :bike2: :bike: :bike2:

mudbug
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey guys:wave:

Went riding Thur. was going for 20 miles only got in half. Was so humid and windy and I didn't fuel up beforehand so I didn't have it in me . Anyway, I got a decent workout but didn't enjoy it . Today is a new day and the start of a beautiful weekend . Everyone have a nice one!! :dancer:

Rhonda

boarderchick
05-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi all--

Haven't been riding much lately. I've been focused on the 1/2 marathon that I'm doing in 2 days. I'll probably be out there on my bike next week. i took this opportunity to take both of my broken bikes in for repair, so I'm looking forward to picking them up!

Have fun riding this weekend.

AnneWonders
05-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Boarderchick, be sure to let us know how the half goes--come post on Cool Runners if you don't want to put it on the Biker Chicks thread.

I did a bike handling skills clinic with my triathlon group this morning. We attempted to pick up water bottles from the ground while on our road bikes, lifting our front and rear tires, riding in tight packs, and general slow speed handling skills. Most of it was on grass, and there were quite a few wipe-outs. It was very interesting, I learned a lot, and I'm going to be VERY sore tomorrow.

Anne

boarderchick
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi all--

Done my 1/2 marathon. Felt strong throughout, which was nice. Running isn't my strongest thing, I like biking better.

On that note, wndranne--exactly how DOES one pick up a water bottle while on a bike? Sounds like you were at a great clinic! Any tips?

I'm planning a ride this weekend, if my quads co-operate!

Jackie

Ilene
05-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I've been thinking about a comfort bike with a nice sized seat, b/c the handlebars are up higher and therefore I think would be easier on the back. Does anyone know if that's a good beginner bike. I'd be riding in the city, no off road stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion?Hi katrs :wave: ... Go to a reputable bike shop and get their expertise on what kind of bike would be appropriate for you.... You may pay a bit more but it is well worth it...

Tonight I biked 15k it was really nice but extremely windy ...

AnneWonders
05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi Jackie, congrats on your half! That is quite an accomplishment.

On that note, wndranne--exactly how DOES one pick up a water bottle while on a bike? Sounds like you were at a great clinic! Any tips?

Well, I'd suggest doing it on grass, because you WILL wipe out at some point. You just go slowly, lean forward and down, and try not to look at the bottle as you get close so you don't fall. I only managed to knock the thing over twice and never got it up, so I'll have to practice again. I never tried it on my weak (balance-wise) side either. FWIW, this is the best core workout I EVER did, and I am SOOOOO sore. I kept wishing for my mountain bike to do this on.

Anne

AnneWonders
05-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Oh yeah, Ilene the bean??!? Huh?

Good on you for biking in the wind. I hate that. Katrs, I second Ilene's suggestion to go to your LBS. They can also teach you to take care of the bike so it'll be in riding shape for years.

Anne

Ilene
05-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh yeah, Ilene the bean??!? Huh?

:lol: when my g/f's and I get together, they call me that :rolleyes:

Being on a mountain bike would be much easier to catch that bottle that's for sure...

AnneWonders
05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Rode to work today. 17.4 miles in about an hour and 12 minutes. DH works at the same place so he drove DD to day care then to work with his bike on the car. Then when I got to work I put my bike on the car and drove to pick up DD and then home. It is a nice system, and we'd gotten out of the habit of doing it.

Anne

boarderchick
05-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Anne--what a great plan! That's a good ride. Weird you should say that, because i was just about to start a modified version of the same thing. I was going to throw my bike in the back of my truck and drive part way to work, then ride the rest of the way in. Then, on the way home, I'd ride a bit further (no time restriction) and then pick up my truck again. That's the plan for next week.

I rode today, did about 45 min--still being a baby after my 1/2 marathon weekend. Felt really, really good to be back out there! I'm now arranging a group ride for this weekend.

Haven't started the bottle catching thing yet. Don't want to injure myself quite so soon in the season. Having said that, i already have shin gouges from my spiky pedals. *sigh*

Ilene
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Anne -- What a great idea!! Talk about being 100%/100% in a relationship :bravo:

Today biked 23k... loved it!!

boarderchick
05-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Anne--what a great plan! That's a good ride. Weird you should say that, because i was just about to start a modified version of the same thing. I was going to throw my bike in the back of my truck and drive part way to work, then ride the rest of the way in. Then, on the way home, I'd ride a bit further (no time restriction) and then pick up my truck again. That's the plan for next week.

I rode today, did about 45 min--still being a baby after my 1/2 marathon weekend. Felt really, really good to be back out there! I'm now arranging a group ride for this weekend.

Haven't started the bottle catching thing yet. Don't want to injure myself quite so soon in the season. Having said that, i already have shin gouges from my spiky pedals. *sigh*

boarderchick
05-10-2007, 02:06 AM
oops double post --sorry gang.

YP1
05-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Right, I'm going to jump in here. I don't have a bike yet, but the plan is that I will have one by the end of the weekend :)

It's sometihng I've been planning to do for a while, and I've finally decided it's time to take the plunge and go for it. I'll initially be using it for commuting a couple of days a week (under 5 miles each way) so I'm not going for anything expensive or fancy, I want to see whether I get into it, and get a better feel for what I am looking for in a bike before I spend lots of money on it. I'll also have to leave it outside the office while I'm at work so don't want anything too stealable ;) I've been surfing bike shops and forums this evening to get a better idea what to look for when I go to the bike shops at the weekend, so fingers crossed I'll be able to report back on how it went soon!

AnneWonders
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I find I have to be a lot more creative with the bike since there is so much more equipment involved. Jackie, I've considered doing that same thing. I'm also pretty lucky that my DH shares a lot of my athletic interests and we can help each other out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of biking Helen.

Anne

boarderchick
05-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Did my first bike ride to work today. Looks like it's going to be good. Planning to do it on Tuesday and Thursdays. Going there it took around 25 minutes, so I'm going to park further away next time. Going back I added an extra route to make it an hour. I'm peached!!! It was fun.

Ilene
05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Helen - - I bet when you get into the biking you're going to start doing triathlons?

I've been biking a LOT lately, at least 20k/9m daily :carrot: ... I love it... Today it's raining and I promised myself that on the first day of rain I would do legs at the gym, so I'm off to the gym... TTFN ...

YP1
05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Ilene - that's kind of the plan, if I like it. I want to try one, to give me a bit of variety, although I'm not sure when in between all the marathons I want to do!

ennay
05-16-2007, 02:24 PM
helen - I find triathlons make a nice break actually. If you decide to accept just "doing" triathlons instead of "competing". They force me to do the X training that gives my legs a break while boosting my cardio. But I dont take the time to train on all 3 events and taper and all that. I just bike some and swim some and I use them as my easy days between my runs.

That being said, I am looking at my mileage schedule for this summer and trying to decide if a triathlon sandwiched into my "easy" week is a good idea that late in training.

Still havent gotten my bike set up, but got back on the stationary bike yesterday. Did I say real bike twice in may? better get moving!

YP1
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I already do 2 hours per week swimming as cross training while I'm preparing for the marathon, so if I start cycling to work it would actually all fit together fairly easily. I might have to cut back the mileage a bit to make up for the cycling, but in terms of having time to do it the cycling would replace "dead" commuting time rather than running time. I guess part of it is I want to find a beginner friendly triathlon where I don't need a proper road bike or the full kit, and can just rock up for a bit of fun.

I did remind myself not to use my new bike before the marathon though on my run tonight - we ran past a boy who seemed to have fallen off his bike on the canal tow path, surrounded by two ambulances and loads of concerned looking people. I'm sure cycling isn't that dangerous, but I'm not planning to take any risks next week!

WaterRat
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
:wave: Hi!

Lots of familiar faces here. I love my bike, and will love it even more when it gets out on the road! It's been a cold windy wet spring here, and "biking season" has been delayed. Plus I'm walking a half-marathon in June, and training for it takes quite a bit of time. But, I will be biking more starting this weekend. I like to park my car at the gym and go from there. The main bike path goes right past there, plus there's a short (2 mile?) loop that goes off in a 90 degree direction. I usually do the loop for warm-up and then head off on the main path - which goes immediately into a steep hill, hence the warmup on the loop. :) Having that downhill to finish riding is great, however.

And as a plus, when I bought my "new" car 6 weeks ago, the guy threw in a bike rack. I have a CRV which has the spare tire mounted on the back, and this bike rack integrates with that. I priced them before (as my previous car was an older model CRV) and they go for over $100, so I've been just putting the bike in the back, but that's a nuisance. The bike rack is great!

AnneWonders
05-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Split my commute with DH again today. It was WINDY on the way in and I was absolutely crawling. I think it took 20 min longer to get in today than last week. Aiming for a swim or run tomorrow.

Anne

ennay
05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
helen--yeah, I do fun triathlons with my hybrid bike. Of course I get my butt kicked on the bike portion. Im usually somewhere around 25th percentile on the swim and run and 75th on the bike.

Swimming is what I am struggling with now. Finding the time with childcare. If I do a tri this year i probably will only have 2-3 swims under my belt

YP1
05-19-2007, 06:38 AM
:carrot: I've just been to pick the bike up and I rode it home. It took a bit of getting used to because I haven't been on a proper bike in ages (just the exercise bike at the gym, which doesn't really count due to the lack of potholes, parked cars and traffic), but I was getting a bit more confident by the time I made it home.

Now I just need to resist the temptation not to ride it until after next Sunday ;)

Ilene
05-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Helen that's awesome... If you took only easy rides you could ride it before your half... I think it's a half you're doing right?

Had a great 9.15k run this morning only the second one this week and it felt awesome... After my run I hopped on my bike and did 17k... It's going to be a good day :sunny:

YP1
05-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Erm, it's not a half...

10k tomorrow, then the big one next weekend.

boarderchick
05-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Good luck in the marathon Helen. I just did a half, and it nearly took everything I had...

As usual, I've flung myself into this biking thing. Soo....I've had 5 rides this week, each way to and from work and then a ride today. Literally, today, it felt like I was riding though MUD. No word of a lie, it felt like riding in mud on a particularly windy day on a bike with a brake locked on. I was panting at the top of hills I usually crank up with no worries. Whew! Hopefully next week will be better!

At least I'm out there trying! That's all I have at the moment.

AnneWonders
05-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Boarderchick, sounds like you need some R&R! I'm going mountain biking with my tri group this morning. It is kind of a beginner's ride, with some instruction. Should be good!!

Anne

Ilene
05-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Sorry, YP1, I'd forgotten, I should have gone back and read...

Today DH and id biked 16k to a breakfast dinner had a nice brunch and rode home... 31k total... It was on the cool side though....

sf40
05-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi everyone, I'd like to jump into this thread!

I love to bike and it's probably my favorite exercise. Was beginning to train for a sprint triathlon last summer when I took a (forced) break due to a stress fracture in my foot. That took a few months to heal, then I had a hard time getting going again with exercise, but have been back on the bike since February.

In early April, my husband and I finally got road bikes! We'd been riding mountain bikes and were tired of being passed all the time. While I love the increased speed with the road bike, the clip-in shoes and pedals take some getting used to and I've got some nice scars on my legs. :dizzy:

Our typical ride is along a near-by river trail. Yesterday we rode nearly 30 miles, with a break in the middle to re-fuel. Today was an easier ride; only about 10 miles. But we saw a terrible accident on the trail, which reminded me why a helmet is a good idea. A young man was carrying some sort of pack and the straps apparently got caught in his spokes. Of course, the bike stopped and he likely flew over the handlebars. He cracked his head open, blood was everywhere, and he was taken away in an emergency vehicle. I admit, I do not wear my helmet when riding my mountain bike on the trail. I just started wearing it with the road bike because of my inexperience with the pedals. After seeing what happened today, I might wear the helmet regardless.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Ilene
05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
:welcome: sf40 :wave:

Yes, wearing a helmet is an excellent idea, you don't want to use your skull as a break... I started wearing mine when the kids were young, to show by example, and now I can't take it off, I've tried and I feel naked :lol: ... Congrats on your new road bike... I tried them out in January when we were shopping for bikes and I just didn't feel secure on them, those dang tires are sooooo tiny ... I opted for a hybrid, a Gary Fisher fast city bike they call it... I love it!! I too was tired of being past on the trail with my mountain bike...

Yesterday I biked 31k/19.26miles and today 20k/12.42miles... plus I ran this morning too :D... It's been a good day ...

YP1
05-22-2007, 04:43 AM
Now I've started noticing cyclists more, I'm surprised how many people round here don't wear them. It was the second thing on my list of things I needed (after bike, before lock - on the basis that at first I might just take it out for rides where I don't leave it anywhere just to get used to it, and before lights - because at this time of year I won't be riding in the dark). I've fallen off a bike before (which is why I gave up cycling last time - a nasty collision with a pedestrian who stepped out in front of me without looking while I was on a cycle path), and I don't want to risk it without a helmet.

AnneWonders
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Everybody wear your helmets!!

Taper, Helen, taper!

Anne

boarderchick
05-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Ok, now, i think i'm just looking for trouble. I'm <<thinking>> of doing an x-terra triathlon in september. I'm a bit leery, having never done one before. I've done about 5 sprints, but this is mtb and trail running. Average time for the race is between 3-4 hours, so like an olympic distance triathlon. *eeek*. Must think on that one for awhile.

Rode to and back part way from work today. I do feel so, so much better even with a bit of a ride before work. I'm doing a long ride tomorrow, around 2-3 hours.

Loving all the opportunities for exercise. Hope everyone is doing well.

sf40
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Ilene! I was worried about riding a road bike because of the skinny tires, but the one I bought feels unexpectedly stable. It's a Trek Pilot WSD, which I think is more of a road riding bike than a road racing bike. My problem is those darn clip-in pedals, though I'm getting better about remembering when I'm clipped in. And the new helmet has better ventilation, so it doesn't bother me as much as the old one. I always liked feeling the wind in my hair ...

boarderchick, the x-terra triathlon sounds like a lot of fun! And if it's not until September, you have plenty of time to train.

Anyone in the U.S. have big plans for the up-coming three-day weekend? We're hoping to get out and ride for at least two days. Right now we only ride on weekends because it takes a good chunk of time to load the bikes on the back of the car -- it's a little too dangerous (traffic) to ride to the river trail and our neighborhood isn't really conducive to longer, faster mph riding. We live in a very densely populated area and I'm scared to death to share the road with so many cars.

YP1
05-25-2007, 02:39 AM
We have a three day weekend over here too :) (Actually, I've got a week and a half because I'm going on holiday). I hope you all have a good one.

boarderchick
05-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi all--

Yes, still thinking about the x-terra triathlon. I am a bit more confident now though, because I had an epic ride on wednesday. It was a mountain ascent to the top of a chairlift. It took 2 hours to climb, solid climibing btw. Then it was a one hour descent. My hands were so sore from gripping the brakes!!! Very fun though. I was quite mellow afterward though.

So there is a long weekend in the states? Have a good one then, everyone!

Diva
05-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone! I FINALLY got a new bike yesterday, so I'll be joining y'all in this thread. Rode it some this morning but it's rather hot here. 90 degrees, So I'll have to do this in the mornings and late evenings. Does anyone else here have asthma? I noticed my heart was racing very fast just from a short ride an Ihad a lil' attack. I guess I'll have to use the inhaler before biking like I do before any other exercise. :dizzy:

boarderchick
05-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Welcome Diva, and congrats on your new bike!! Be patient at first with the biking. It takes awhile to build up your "bike legs". It's worth it though, what a great way to build up filtness. Let us know how it goes!

Misti in Seattle
06-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Ahh I think I see my problem and why the thread seemed to die out at the end of April. :) I just got my new bike today so it will be slow going for a while but I'd love to join the thread.

Misti in Seattle
06-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I have a lot of weight to lose. I want to start bicycling, but will need to take my bike to a nicer area to ride (I live in a questionable neighborhood that my hubby would not want me riding alone in). So, I'm looking for a good bike that is for a beginner that can transport well (on one of those rack thingies).

Anyone have a suggestion?

Well I just got my bike today and it is definitely not an expensive fancy one... however, I went to REI and had them help fit me to a bike appropriate for me. If you have REI stores there I highly recommend them as they have a super reputation of customer satisfaction and high quality. If no REI, perhaps there is another good sporting goods store in your area. I am like you and did not know what to get... but I too like the higher handlebars and needed something fairly lightweight because I have to lug it up and down three flights of stairs each time. Since you don't know what you need, I would recommend letting the professionals help you.

Sue

Ilene
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Closing the May Biker Chicks Chat.... Just opened the June Biker Chicks Chat (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114293:carrot:) see you there ...