Exercise! - Cool Runners - May

View Full Version : Cool Runners - May

YP1
05-01-2007, 03:54 AM
So, it's a new month, the sun is shining, and I've got a birthday and a marathon this month. I've also got a half and a 10k pencilled in as warm up races. How about everyone else?

This morning I did a fairly easy 4.5 miles on the treadmill. I was still a bit sore from the walk on Sunday so told myself I'd do 15 minutes then see how I felt. Walking and running must use slightly different muscles - I felt absolutely fine when I was running and carried on far longer than I'd hoped, but the second I pressed the cooldown button and started walking, some of the niggles from the walk came back!

I'm meant to be doing 12 - 13 miles after work tomorrow, so hopefully my legs will have recovered yet more before then.

NavyWifeDee
05-01-2007, 07:54 AM
So, after being in a funk, I've gotten back up to 2 miles, and I have a 5k this weekend, and another in a couple of weeks. I'm still slow, but at least I'm out there. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get to 5 miles at a time.

ennay
05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
I've got a half for mothers day weekend so I am in taper as of today! woohoo!

And I am training with my hood-to-coast team so getting my butt well and truly kicked every tuesday evening

I'm running 5 days a week now but as soon as it warms up a bit, one of those will become a biking day

Ilene
05-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks for starting the May thread Helen :)

I haven't run in a few days, I've been biking, it's a bit chilly but very refreshing :D ...

shygrly
05-02-2007, 05:28 AM
i ran 2.75 miles today. I'm slowly increasing the amount i run, by .25 miles a week.

LisaMarie71
05-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Ugh, still no run since my painful 2 miles Saturday. The tendonitis (if that's what it is) is still giving me pain, though I've been icing it and staying off it as much as possible. I'm considering trying a nice slow jog this afternoon, but I don't want to hurt myself. Blah!

YP1
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Take care Lisa :hug:

I did 12.7 miles tonight after work. I really didn't want to run, and considered doing the short option, but now it's done I'm glad I did the long one. My legs are fine now after the walk on Sunday, so I have no excuses for skipping my last long run next Sunday now ;)

jelynn
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi ladies, quick question...I fell off the running wagon about 3 months ago before I was *really* proficient, but I had done couch to 5K and could do 25 minutes or so without stopping. I got on the treadmill today and could do 4-5 minutes at a time with a one minute walk break. Any idea how long it will take to build up my endurance to where I was? Is it going to take weeks and weeks?

I'm so a wannabe runner and really want to keep with it this time.
thanks for any advice!

ennay
05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Emily, it will probably come back a lot faster this time. A lot of running is mental. Once you KNOW you can run a distance, it seems to be easier each time.

YP1
05-03-2007, 03:49 AM
I'm sure it will come back a lot quicker too. You know that you can do it, you just need to remind your legs that you can!

ennay
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
6.25 this morning

LisaMarie71
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm not feeling as much pain in my foot today, just a slight tenderness when I touch it. I'm thinking of giving it a try today after school -- maybe a short jog on the treadmill, something easy. I miss it so much!! If it hurts a lot after that, I'm seeing a doctor.

shananigans
05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi ladies, quick question...I fell off the running wagon about 3 months ago before I was *really* proficient, but I had done couch to 5K and could do 25 minutes or so without stopping. I got on the treadmill today and could do 4-5 minutes at a time with a one minute walk break. Any idea how long it will take to build up my endurance to where I was? Is it going to take weeks and weeks?

I'm so a wannabe runner and really want to keep with it this time.
thanks for any advice!

I started c25k last fall and mostly took the winter off. Only took me about a month of retraining to get back up to 30 min, so I imagine your progress will be sped up considerably as well.

Only one run in so far this week, plan to get out there again tonight. Just feeling a little fatigued lately. Also, on my last run I was feeling a little pain/tightness down my calves and in my ankles. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that just something you can expect from time to time?

LisaMarie - Hope your foot is better!

LisaMarie71
05-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks, shananigans.

I tried the treadmill today and it was NOT good. I ran a mile and it hurt. I probably shouldn't have even done that. Think I'll see a doctor. :(

hikerchick
05-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Lisa, what a bummer. Lots of healing thoughts your way.

Had a good but uneventful run today. The ipod has totally changed my perspective and pace. I haven't timed myself but I think I am running faster. Music is a performance enhancing drug it seems.

YP1
05-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Lisa :hug:

I did 4.4 miles this morning, including my 600th mile of the year. I went out on my own without music for a change (I usually listen to music when I'm on my own but not when I'm with a group or in a race), and it didn't seem to make too much difference to my pace. It was a nice change really. Rest day tomorrow, then (hopefully) a long one on Sunday.

ennay
05-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Helen---oh miss goddess of the high mileage. Do you ever get days where you go out to run and about a mile in you ...just..cant. Not sick, not injured...just cant.

I even had a running partner this morning so I know it wasnt boredom. I ran 1.5 and then walked home.

VERY confidence building for the half next week. :(

And I never ever run with music...I am too scared of not hearing a car or dog where I run. They whip through those country roads awfully fast.

YP1
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Oh yes. At Easter I went out to do 4 or 5 miles, and just stopped a mile and a half in, struggled on for a couple of miles then walked home. I just couldn't do it.

Right, off on my weekend away now :)

RidiculouslyAddicted
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi ladies,

Wow, you all are so immensely inspiring!!

I'm just starting running (like, I've gone 4 times) and am really looking for somewhere that I could ask for advice. Would it be okay if I posted here, or are you a pretty well-established group?

ennay
05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Welcome Shelby! Come on in! We have all types in here ranging from newbies to our very own goddess of running Helen (YP1)

One thing you'll find about runners is its kind of like having kids...we encourage everyone else to do it too so we arent the only fools out there! :p

AmberD
05-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi guys ...

At the beginning of ever month I post here. Saying yea, I'm a runner... but then I trail off. But I'm really serious about building up my base mileage. I don't just want to be a runner anymore. I want to be an ever IMPROVING runner and I can't do that if I just run the same slow, 3 miles every two or three days.
My week looked like this:
Monday: 9 miles
Tuesday and Wednesday: 0 (oops)
Thursday:1
Friday: 3

I know I need to work on consistancy. That's my biggest challenge. I have a half on Sunday that I'm going to more or less struggle through. But after I get through that, I really want to get my milage per week up to the 30-35 range. And eventually throw in some speed work. (I've been at 6-10 miles/week that last couple months)

So really! this time I mean it!

shananigans
05-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Run was a little stronger last night I think. I need to get a stopwatch so I can actually keep track. I’d like to start building mileage, but three miles still kicks my keister pretty hard. Like, I am really running that last block like the holy grail is at the end and I can’t wait to get to it so I can slow down and walk. :lol:

Still haven’t taken my iPod in to get fixed. :(

MariaMaria
05-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Watch those long runs, Amber.

Conservative advice is that your long run shouldn't be more than 50% of your average weekly mileage, and not more than once a week at most.

AnneWonders
05-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Hiya runners,

I've been MIA for a few weeks, getting past GI illness, root canal, and then a few days there where I was kinda hoping I was pregnant but it didn't turn out :?: . Anyway, I got out tonight for 2.5 miles. Felt pretty rough given that I haven't run at all in maybe 2 weeks, and not consistently for maybe a month. But I enjoyed getting out there, seeing the saguaros starting to bloom.

I'm with you Amber, and need to get some consistency back into my workouts. Haven't been in the pool in a month either, and my road bike has a flat tire I haven't fixed in an obscenely long time. I'm riding tomorrow, and then planning to run again on Sunday.

Anne

WindyCityChick
05-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi ladies, haven't posted in a little while, but I have been running - made it 11.5 miles this morning, and I've finally signed up for a half marathon in June, which I'm very excited about! Hope you're all doing well, and especially Lisa, I hope you've gone to the doctor to see what's going on.

Sheila53
05-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Everything seemed to align perfectly for me today, and so I ran 3.5 miles, my farthest ever, and I ran it in under 5 miles per hour. Now I just have to translate that to a 5k race day! At least I know that my goal of running a 5K in 35 minutes or less is achievable.

LisaMarie71
05-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Good job, Sheila!!

Rachel, I'm going to the doctor Monday after work, so we'll see what happens. I'm really hoping it's something simple that will go away on its own. I'm still not sure yet what I'll do about the 5k I'm registered to run on Saturday, 5/12. It's the Race for the Cure and I've REALLY been looking forward to it. It's just my second 5k. I wanted to do well, and now I may not be able to do it at all!!

AnneWonders
05-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Lisa good luck on your foot! I hope it is something minor. In the meantime, if you have access to a pool, pool running actually keeps your running shape up reasonably well. Of course it is deadly dull and you have to really work it because it is so easy to slack, but it is effective.

Sheila, sounds like you are in great shape for that 5K. Rachel, nice long run. Helen, my jaw continues to drop every time you post. Hi ennay, shananigans and everybody.

I got in just short of 3 miles this morning, pushing the jogging stroller. Some walking, but mostly on hills (hills + jogging stroller = PAIN).

Anne

ennay
05-06-2007, 04:40 PM
6.8 ugly miles today...still no oomph

hikerchick
05-06-2007, 10:00 PM
ennay, I hate it when the umph is missing. However it is pretty cool that you can run 6.8 on a "bad day" I am impressed at least.

Yesterday I ran 7 miles which is a personal best. The ipod really helps me go longer distances.

gremlina
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone. Room for one more? :-) I am on Week 6 of Couch to 5k program now..so this week goes up to 25 min...or I guess that is about 2 miles. I run outside since the weather has been so nice. I've never been a runner before so I've been pretty proud of myself for sticking to this program. To see the distances the rest of you run is really inspiring to me also and I hope I shall get there someday! :-)

AnneWonders
05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Welcome gremlina!

I got new running shoes today. I've been putting it off but decided not to risk injury.

Anne

AmberD
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
My half on Sunday went well. I ran 2:42:19, which I don't think is half bad. My back is a little stiff today, but other than that I'm feeling good.

Watch those long runs, Amber.

Conservative advice is that your long run shouldn't be more than 50% of your average weekly mileage, and not more than once a week at most.

So how much does this mean I should be running? For the most part I was running 3 miles 2-3 times a week. And once every other week or so I'd throw in a 6 mile run. The 3 mile runs are (usually) very easy for me. The 6 mile run, a bit more of a challenge, but not exceedingly difficult. I don't want to start off too fast and burn out, but I want to challeng myself? Any thoughts on where I should start?

YP1
05-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm so proud of myself. I was away for the weekend, but I dragged myself out of bed on Sunday morning, left the hotel and headed out for 18.5 miles or so. Usually when I'm away I tell myself I'll run if I feel like it, this time I told myself I was running whether I liked it or not and if I got drunk on Saturday night I'd only have myself to blame. That's my last long run before the marathon done, and I'm now officially tapering. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill in the hotel gym this morning before heading back home too.

LisaMarie71
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Finally made it to the doctor, who believes I have tendonitis. He says not to run for another week and then come back for an x-ray if it's still hurting. I asked him about Saturday's 5K and he gave me permission to try it. He said he'd prefer I NOT do it, but I can try it and then just walk it or quit if I have pain. He also said he'd prefer I run on treadmills or tracks for a while instead of hard surfaces. I'm going to try the race Saturday (though he said I can't run UNTIL then, which means I'm probably going to struggle anyway after all these days off) and see how I feel.

RidiculouslyAddicted
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the welcome ennay.

I'm definitely a beginner runner -- meaning I've been running exactly 5 times! I'm going for 5K (3 miles), but alternating walking and running. Not following C25K, although that was my inspiration. I figured out I'm running approximately 2.5K. There's a killer hill on my route that I CANNOT run up any of yet!

My goal is to run for the CIBC Run for the Cure at the end of September, at which point I should be close to my goal weight, as well.

shananigans
05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
LisaMarie - Sorry about the tendonitis. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the race, but be careful to not injure yourself further!

Helen - I have trouble running or getting any exercise in when I'm traveling. Kudos to you for getting it done.

Went and did 3 miles around the park loop yesterday. Didn't want to go my usual route because it looked like heavy rain might be moving in, but the sprinkles and clouds had cleared by the time I'd finished. For my effort I was rewarded with a nasty blister on my left foot. Not sure why this happened all of a sudden, maybe I need moisture wicking socks now that it's warmer and my feet will sweat more? Guess I'll have to try some things out till I don't get blisters anymore. It kind of hurts, hope it’s all better by tomorrow so I can get another run in.

AnneWonders
05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I got in 3.1 miles this morning, with no walk breaks for a change. My HR and pace were both decent too. And it felt great. Only 1 week's worth of consistency! Image what stringing 2 or 3 weeks together will do. Goal for Thursday is 4 miles.

Walked my elderly dogs after the run and saw a dead rattlesnake in the road. That time of year again.

Anne

NavyWifeDee
05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Well, I finished my 5k on Saturday, although not as well as I would've liked, and I had to walk some. Ran a mile on Sunday just to shake off the soreness, and ran a tiny bit over 5k last night. This time with no stops, and beat my official 5k time. I can't believe I can finally run 3 miles + without stopping. Now, I have a question... will I start losing weight? So far, not really losing anything since I've been running. I like running just for running's sake, but it would be nice if all the exercise and watching what I eat would start paying off too.

Dee

Ilene
05-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Dee -- Congrats on your 5k... I started losing weight when I started running, because it was the most intense cardio I had ever done, I did eventually plateau, but I still feel better and physically fitter when I run...

Off to run to the gym, workout, and run back home... CYA :wave:

YP1
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Dee - well done.

I did 7.8 miles this evening in the rain, mainly off road. I seemed to be a bit faster than I have been over recent weeks, which is good news, and I enjoyed it despite the weather.

I'm planning a run on Friday, probably a bit shorter than that, then my half on Sunday. That will be it for this week.

NavyWifeDee
05-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Helen - you are a constant inspiration, and reminder to get my butt out there, lol.

I did a little bit over 2 miles tonight, and actually had my best mile time yet, slightly under 12min/mile! Woo hoo. Over all, I ended up with a little bit over 13min/mile pace, but apparently I was really hitting that first mile.

AnneWonders
05-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi Dee, congrats on your 5K. Running is fantastic for me for maintaining my weight, but if I need to lose I really need to watch my food intake. Get rid of the junk, eat lots of fruits and vegetables and restrict calories.

I did my 4 miles this morning 2+2 with one short walk break. Finished the whole thing in 47 minutes, so my running pace was right on 11 min miles. That is about as good as I've done recently. Came back and walked the dogs for about a mile. No wildlife encounters to speak of this morning, other than a bunch of rabbits and a few doves.

Anne

ennay
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I am thinking that drinking more alcohol last night than I have drank in the past 4 years was not a good idea TWO DAYS BEFORE MY HALF - what the **** was I thinking? I totally forgot about the half yesterday. Just didnt even think about it as I went "wow, this is the first wine I ever have really liked"

Yes wine. Not even beer or liquor. Wine, which is the ONLY alcohol on the planet which apparently can give me a hangover.

So no run this morning and then I'll do a little run tomorrow and then the half on Saturday.

Today I am eating fruit and veggies like mad to flush me out. I feel like garbage today.

shananigans
05-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Hope you're feeling better ennay! Don't know what kind of wine you were drinking, but a lot of people are allergic to something in red wine. Don't remember what exactly, but that could have something to do with it. Take care of yourself and I'm sure you'll bounce back.

My blister is on the mend. I'm going shopping for clothes this weekend, I'm going to try to get a pair of those moisture wicking socks and some new running attire for summer. It's been getting hot here this last week. :cool:

Ilene
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Ennay, :lol:, I've run the day after drinking a bottle of wine and I was surprised at how easy the run was. I think there are a lot of carbs in wine :yes: that's MY excuse and I'm sticking to it :lol: ...

ennay
05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Ilene - that probably works better when you drink wine more often than once a decade. :lol: Maybe that should be my new strategy...drink more often. Build that tolerance back up.

Its weird...I spent my entire sophomore year in college drunk and today was the closest to a hangover I ever had. But it probably was the lack of sleep.

YP1
05-11-2007, 03:50 AM
I did a good hour on the treadmill this morning, I'm getting some of my confidence back which is good timing, after a couple of hard runs in the past month. Rest day tomorrow then the half on Sunday.

hikerchick
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Funny, today it felt like I had a hangover when I went out running but alas I haven't had a drink in a month. I think it was dehydration. It was just awful. Also dh had to be somewhere early so I only got in 2.5 miles. I got 4 in on wednesday though.

I am trying to increase my mileage but I only really have time for it on the weekends. Weekends I have all the time in the world but during the week it has to be really fast in the morning before DH goes to work.

Jogging strollers and hills...I just can't do that at all. Patially this is because mine has a flat and its like pushing a ton of bricks up the hill. A good workout but I can barely walk it.

But still I am impressed with Anne for attempting this feat.

ennay
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm starting to think it wasnt a hangover. I still want to throw up every time I eat or drink anything, especially fruit or water. And last night when I went to bed my bones and teeth hurt.:( :(

Please god dont let me be sick for the half...I've trained basically for 15 months.

Ilene
05-11-2007, 08:23 PM
:o.. Ennay -- Sending good vibes to you :hug: hope you feel better soon ....

elisa822
05-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I have a question for all you runners. I post more in the "ladies who lift" section but I'm really a "lady who lifts, run, steps and spins!".

I have worked my way (finally) up to 5k. Mostly I can run it (slowly) without stopping at all to walk. I'm not too fast but that's okay. I'm just so thrilled to be able to do it.

I've been running for a few months now and two or three times, I've gotten a fairly bad pain in my side. I would say it was a stitch but it's always on the left side and quite low down - just above and inside my left hip bone is probably the best way to describe it. It can be pretty bad and I have no idea if I should stop (hate to stop and ruin my time) or if I can run through it. Once I had to stop and tonight I just kept going and it finally went away.

Any ideas what this is? One time was definitely an empty stomach and tonight was about an hour or so after a light dinner so that's completely different. I know I don't drink enough water so could that be it?

I imagine I'm not the only one who's had something similar.

Thanks in advance and Ennay, I really really hope you're feeling better soon!!

:D

ennay
05-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Elisa - it could be a stitch. This is going to sound odd, but it works for me. stitches are often caused by the lowest lobes of your lungs not getting fresh oxygen. Often the lowest part stays compressed and either doesnt empty or fill completely every breath. Lungs go much farther down than most people realize.

1) posture posture posture...slumping makes it worse - so practice good posture often

2) odd # breathing. always breathing in and out with the same foot forward can cause repeated compression of the lung lobe on that side. so if (for example) you breath in for 2 steps and out for 2 steps, you will always be at the same side. Changing your breathing to breathe in 2 out 3 or in 3 out 2 (doesnt matter as long as you breathe deep and fully) allows you to start each breath cycle on a different side and often allows you to prevent or run through a stitch.

hth.

NavyWifeDee
05-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Ennay, hope you feel better!

So, I went out to run for 45 mins tonight, but something somewhere is burning again. Usually when we get this kind of haze and smoke only at night, it is cane fields in Cuba burning. Whatever it is, it's rough for my longer runs. But I did do a quick mile, and got my fastest time ever, 10:29! Woo Hoo!

Dee

ennay
05-12-2007, 09:14 AM
dee- I heard the brush fires up near the georgia border were causing smoke and ash in Miami.

AnneWonders
05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
6.2 miles this morning. The last mile was rough, but other than that it was a decent run. It just felt like I overreached a bit--very enthused by the easy buildup of miles as I got consistent again. Saw the sun rise over the mountains, and almost no traffic at 6 am on Saturday.

ennay, sending get well vibes your way!

Anne

YP1
05-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Ennay - hope you're feeling better.

I didn't run today, but I did go and put a deposit on a bike which I'm really happy about. the problem is that I pick it up on saturday, which is only a week before the marathon and I suspect that the last thing I want to be doing at that stage is commuting to work on it and using different muscles, so it may need to wait a few weeks til I use it properly (I'm going on holiday straight after the marathon so won't be going to work). It's a hybrid rather than anything particularly fast, but the plan is to work a bit of cycling into my life, see if I like it, and if I do then look at trying triathlon, but there's no point spending loads on all the kit until I know whether I really fancy anything involving cycling.

rosequeen
05-12-2007, 01:02 PM
May I join you??

Just getting back to running after a bit of time off -- had a running accident, hit my head, and body needs to relearn how to do it. Very awkward and really irritating since I am running so much slower than before that my hip joints aren't happy. Doc says keep doing it and it will improve -- the brain will retrain.

So 2.5 with the big dog and about 1.0 with the old guy this morning as dawn was breaking. Considering I could not run 100 yards a month ago, I count it as progress. :)

Somehow the swimming part of my brain is doing ok. It has been a lifesaver while I've been rehabbing. Biking? -- forget about it for now. Still can't walk heel to toe across the room without falling. :)

Hopefully I won't get pulled over by the police -- I can't pass the sobriety test!!

Best wishes to this month's marathoners and half-marathoners!!

RQ

NavyWifeDee
05-12-2007, 02:11 PM
ennay.. you were right, it is the wildfires. Almost makes me wish for a treadmill, it is being rough to run much. I got out this morning for almost a mile and a half, right at a 13min/mile pace. I'm going to try tonight for a couple of miles or more, depending on the smokiness of the air. Hope you all have a great weekend!

LisaMarie71
05-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Ran the Race for the Cure 5k this morning, and it was HORRIBLE, but at least I finished. Not only do I have that tendonitis issue in my left foot and ankle, but I also have a pretty bad head cold!! And of course the sun came out right when we started and it was beating down on us like crazy! So I walked more than half of it. I haven't really run in two weeks, though, so I was surprised that I could run any of it, with the sickness, the lack of training, and the foot pain. I finished in something like 49 minutes, which is a far cry from the 31:19 I got at my first 5k a few weeks ago!! Honestly, today I just wanted to finish the thing. And this is NOT a race for runners anyway. Most people walk it, and they don't start you in different waves, so you can't get around people at all. Very annoying. My husband even did it in 24:00, which is really slow for him. He didn't try to race it because he knew they don't organize it very well anyway, but he usually does 5Ks in about 19 minutes, so that was way off.

Anyway, I hope to start training for my half marathon soon, but I may have to take another trip to the doctor about this foot. Ugh...

AnneWonders
05-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey Lisa, I've been thinking about you. I'm glad you got to finish the race, but I'm sorry it was disappointing. Take care of yourself, and get your foot healed up before you start on that half. You've made so much progress and even if you have to take a bit of a layoff, you'll be in a better place for it.

Anne

elisa822
05-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Ennay - thanks for the tips! You might be right on with the posture. I have been told that I sometimes lean forward when I run. If I think about it, then I'm more careful but I often forget. I don't think that my posture is great. I will try to work on the breathing too. I was just afraid that I might make something worse by not stopping but, if I can, I want to try to run through it.

I hope you're feeling better!

:D

hikerchick
05-13-2007, 02:44 PM
hi everyone,

Today I actually lost count of my mileage I am kind of out of it I think its tree pollen. Either 7 or 8 I couldn't be sure felt kind of stupid for loosing track.

Happy mothers day all you moms and good luck on the race today ennay.

Hope everyone is well.

Lisa I hope you start feeling better soon

baffled111
05-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi guys,

I'm sorry for busting in on your thread! I'm not really a runner, but I do run on the treadmill at the gym. For the last week I've been getting a stitch EVERY TIME I hit the treadmill. It's really interfering with my workouts and I'm wondering whether any of you running experts have ideas about how to prevent them. It's really difficult to push through them and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

AnneWonders
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi Baffled, you are welcome to post here any time! I find that if I've run through a side stitch, then it tends to come back over and over for a while. Don't know why. To avoid them, slow down a bit, or take a walk break when you can feel one coming on. There are also techniques that may help some, like putting your arms above your head for a bit, holding in your stomach muscles (like you are sucking it in for a picture), or breathing techniques like concentrating on the exhale or breathing on alternating right and left footfalls (a 5-step breathing pattern).

Good luck.

Editing to add, put the arm on the side of the stitch over your head--the other one seems to matter less.

Anne

ennay
05-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Well....I'm not sure how I really feel about yesterday's race. Sad a little bit that it was such a blur. I seriously can barely remember it right now. My focus was so much on other stuff.

Well...first off, ever since I ran a 12 mile training run in 9:25s (August 05?) I've felt I should be able to match that for a 1/2, so I wanted to break 9:30. It was clear pretty early that it wasnt going to happen. I was battling nausea hard. Just like the past 2 days, anything sweet just set it off. I wish I had pretzels or something, that might have helped. Or not.

Mile 1 9:53 ish - not exactly sure where the start line was, it was very crowded
Mile 2 9:35
Mile 3 9:35
Mile 4 9:20
Mile 5 hilly 9:46
Mile 6 9:36
Mile 7 9:24

For the first 7 miles all I could think of was not throwing up. But I kept going. I was scared of gu by then as the one I took before race had set off major nausea, so I was just doing the diluted gleukos stuff. About a mile after the nausea started to lift, I started to bonk a little, so I dug around my camelbak and found the one vanilla gu and took about 1/2 mile to eat it. Energy back up a little, nausea also.

Mile 8 9:39
Mile 9 9:39
Mile 10 9:20

I still had an outside shot at hitting the 9:30 if I could pick it up at the end but I couldnt. At mile 11 it was all I could do to keep going.

Mile 11 hilly 9:41
Mile 12 9:31
Mile 13 9:50 dying here
.1 0:56

My training buddy really picked it up after her portapotty at mile 8 and I think finished in 2:02 or 2:03, and we are usually well matched...actually I usually have a bit more in the tank, so it gives me a perspective on maybe what I could have done. Because my legs were totally fine after, and I think I could have easily run today.

So on the one hand I am really proud that I kept going when I felt so awful. I am proud that I battled to the end and had nothing left. I had nausea bad the rest of the day everytime I sat up. I may be able to be happy about the time too (2:05:50) I know I could have done better but its still a PR (although I doubt that is my official time, no chips and it took FOREVER to start after the gun went off.

And cloudy my ***....

The race itself was well run (all women's 1/2), beautiful scenery, but not only was it a double loop, it was a double loop with a significant out and back portion. It was a problem near the end when the 1/2 runners started catching the 1/4 walkers on a 6 ft wide trail that was an out and back. The walkers did NOT stay single file.

The shirts were cool as were the medals. The race is called the hippie chick, so the logo was all flower child stuff.

YP1
05-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Well done Ennay for getting round and keeping going when it felt rough.

My half report -

I wasn't intending to go for a PB in this one, the course was hillier than my previous halves, and it was also a lot more crowded which made it harder to get into my pace. I also didn't want to push myself too hard so close to Edinburgh. I half considered really slowing down and running at target marathon pace as a training run, but eventually decided to go somewhere between the two and run fast but within myself. My previous halves this year were 1:49, 1:47 and 1:43 so I wanted to be somewhere in that range, even if I didn't go faster than 1:43 this time out.

I ended up having a pretty good run. I slowed down up the hills and speeded up going down them so my pacing was far from even, but my effort did seem to be pretty stable. I slowed down a bit in the last couple of miles, I could have kept pushing but as a PB was unlikely and I was in my target time range I decided to cruise a bit to the finish, getting there in 1:45.

I was quite shocked when I looked at the placings - this was more of a mass participation half than some of the others I've done, and last time out 1:43 placed me at 23% in women overall, and 24.6% in open age women. Good, but nothing spectacular. This time I finished 34th open age woman out of more than 500 (6.3%) and 74th woman overall out of nearly 1000 (7.8%). I think my club also won the ladies team prize, although I haven't found confirmation of that anywhere yet. I don't think I've ever been in the top 10% of finishers before!

Now I've just got a 10k on Sunday, and then Edinburgh :yikes:

AnneWonders
05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
ennay, sounds like you had a tough race, but I'm really impressed that you got PR even feeling so sick. I hope you feel better soon.

Helen, you are a fast woman!

I ran 4 miles this morning, with no walk breaks. It is starting to get a bit hotter and I need to start bringing some fluids with me, even for these short (<1hr) runs. I was so dehydrated when I got back that I almost puked when I tried to drink some water. Feeling better now, and lesson (re)learned for the year.

Jackrabbit sighting this morning. I think they are so cool.

Anne

shananigans
05-14-2007, 01:13 PM
LisaMarie – Sorry your 5k didn’t go as you hoped. You did well to finish considering the circumstances though! You’ve got one very speedy husband, a 19 min 5k, I can’t even imagine what it would be like to run that fast. Don’t know if I mentioned it in this thread before, but I plan on doing Race for the Cure on June 2. I am hoping to break 30 min (very ambitions for me!), but I do hope it’s set up better than yours was.

Ennay – Wow, sounds like you had a tough go of it. I still sounds like you did very well though, sometimes I get nauseous from one tiny hill sprint, let alone a ½ marathon.

Helen – I don’t know how you do it! That kind of mileage just blows my mind. Well done.

Anne – Sounds like you’ve got some beautiful places to run, mountains and wildlife and all. Gotta be careful about chugging that water too fast, done that a time or two before.

I got new fun stuff this weekend! I got some running sox at REI and some body glide, and OMG I had no idea what I was missing. Made my run yesterday so much more comfortable. Got some new running clothes since it’s getting really toasty out, and a 2 liter “Camelbak” (in quotations because it’s a cheaper brand, but should do the trick just as well), and a bike at a garage sale! I just need to get a helmet and I can start day tripping around on my bike. So. WI has so many lovely bike trails, can’t wait.

hikerchick
05-14-2007, 01:37 PM
OMG you guys there was a MOUNTAIN LION in my FRONT YARD this morning. Sorry for the caps but I am a bit unnerved especially since my kids 2 and 9 run around outside alot.

OK so how do you keep from being mountain lion bait. Any ideas. Run with a large club?

Got myself some new running shoes yesterday and found a great half marathon to train for in October (I will need that long) decided to travel for it. Going to the Redwoods. There are two big races up there in Humboldt County one in May (just missed it) and one in October. Figure I can try to do a half in October and then maybe the whole thing by May.

But with this ferocious man eating beast prowling my neigborhood I am getting a bit nervous.

Anyone else run in the wild kingdom. What do you do?

By the way...

Great Job Ennay! I am seriously impressed.

gremlina
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I am on week 7 of Couch to 5k now and running 2.5 miles 3 days a week.. :-)

baffled111
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
You girls are amazing with your running! Something happens to me if I try to step off the treadmill and step outside for a run. I just can't seem to do it!

Thanks for the hints about the stitches. My plan today is wait a full two hours after breakfast before going to the gym (but I'm getting antsy) to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll try the arms above the head/strategic breathing.

ennay
05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
woohoo gremilina!

wow helen..speedster!

I always check to see how old I would have to be to win and place AG this time it was ..65! There was a 62 year old who finished in 1:49!

YP1
05-14-2007, 04:22 PM
I would have had to be 55+ this time, we seem to have lots of speedy vets round here!

I have no idea about mountain lions, we don't have anything more exciting than squirrels and the occasional deer or fox round here.

Just under 7 miles with running club this evening. My legs felt fine after yesterday, I'm glad I took it a bit easier than the last half I did, as I really don't want to trash my legs so close to the marathon. I'll be taking things nice and easy for the next 12 days I think.

LisaMarie71
05-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Everyone's doing so great with their runs!! :)

I think I'm on my way to getting back on track. I tried the treadmill today, and I managed 1.5 miles, then a 1/4 mile walk break, then another 1.5 miles. By the time I got into my second run, I was doing ok. I had a twinge or two in my foot, but nothing major. I just plan to take it easy for a while...sort of ease back into it. Tomorrow has to be a rest day because I'm doing this overtime thing that will take up most of the evening, and on Wednesday I plan to do a couple of classes at the Y, so I won't be running again until Thursday.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement you guys give me! :grouphug:

AnneWonders
05-15-2007, 07:54 AM
OMG you guys there was a MOUNTAIN LION in my FRONT YARD this morning. Sorry for the caps but I am a bit unnerved especially since my kids 2 and 9 run around outside alot.

OK so how do you keep from being mountain lion bait. Any ideas. Run with a large club?

But with this ferocious man eating beast prowling my neigborhood I am getting a bit nervous.

Anyone else run in the wild kingdom. What do you do?

Hikerchick, we had a mountain lion eat a couple dogs on one of my running routes so I know that fear. For myself, I mostly just try to look and sound like a human being, which is scary to most animals. I have lights on at night, talk and sing if I feel 'watched'. I try not to worry about the mountain lions too much, since I think the horror stories, while real and get your attention, are very rare. I pay attention when I run, to the roads and to the desert, with no headphones in the rural areas, since I do have regular wildlife encounters of other sorts, some scary. I figure with the moutain lion, if it does happen, it'll be over quick. I actually worry more about cars, loose domestic dogs, packs of javelina (wild pig-like animals), coyotes when they pack up (I saw 6-8 one time!!), and rattlesnakes, basically in that order.

Now I watch my snack-sized daughter (20 months old) like a hawk when she is outside, and I find myself constantly scanning the desert, the trees, the rooftops etc. She only goes out in daylight.

Some people that walk around here carry a big stick, like a hiking stick. Very few seem to wear headphones. I have yet to see a runner with a stick. I don't feel like I have great advice. Pay attention, don't zone out from the exertion, use all your senses including hearing and smell, stop and back slowly away if you need to, and watch your children carefully. Change your running routes if there is a place you think is dangerous.

Good luck. I'm sure it'll all be OK.

Anne

ennay
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
6.5 This morning. Felt really good and easy and was a bit up in pace.

I try not to think of wildlife....but I do carry mace for the dogs.

Ilene
05-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Ennay and Helen -- WOW :high: you gals are amazing!!!

gremilina -- Welcome and congrats on your C25K :carrot:

Anne and Hicker -- Those are freakin' large animals around your places :fr: :fr: ...

baffled -- It takes a while to get used to running outside but once you go out you'll never want to come back in... I find it excruciating to run on the dreadmill now

No run today :rain: like crazy at the moment....

hikerchick
05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh yesterdays run was just awful. The whole mountian lion thing really messed with my head...plus I put my run off till later in the day (big cats like dawn and dusk) so it was hot.

I just felt terrible.

Anne at least I don't have coyotes and wild pigs. Stray dogs and cars only a little. I do have one neighbor with something like 20 dogs they are fenced in and rarely get out but there are a few pit bulls in there so when I see activity by her fence I take another route. The other pups are ....pussycats really...so they don't bother me.

YP1
05-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I had a really nice 7+ mile run this evening. Pouring rain, and muddy, but I felt good. I guess cutting back the mileage a bit does that for you. I've got a 10k race on Sunday, and that's pretty much me done. I'll do a few 3 or 4 mile runs just to keep me ticking over, but other than that I'm ready for the marathon!

LisaMarie71
05-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Ok, I may be back in business. I went to the New Balance store tonight with a referral from my doctor to be custom-fitted for a new pair of running shoes. The pedorthist worked with me for nearly two hours to make sure all the little idiosyncrasies of my feet, legs, and hips were taken into consideration. He said the pain I've had (that was supposedly tendonitis) was actually just pain from wearing the wrong shoes and from the natural asymmetry between my feet. I'm not so sure about that yet, but I must tell you, when he finished tweaking the shoes, I ran in them and the pain was actually gone. I did a quick 1/4 mile on a treadmill while waiting for my husband at the gym later, and it felt fantastic in those new shoes. I spent $168, but I think it's going to be well worth it.

Plus, (as I already posted in an NSV thread somewhere else), the pedorthist thought I weighed less than 150 pounds, which was quite delightful! :)

YP1
05-18-2007, 01:38 AM
I hope the new shoes work for you.

I've just done a gentle-ish 3.5 miles this morning. I'm really cutting back now - only just over a week to go!

LisaMarie71
05-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Helen, I bet you're excited!!

I ran 3 miles this morning and it was pretty nice. It felt good to run outside again, even though the last mile was in the rain. I decided I kind of like doing my run in the morning. Never really thought I was a morning person, but maybe I'm changing. The shoes seem to be working so far! Now I can get on that training schedule I've been planning for the half marathon. It's 15 weeks away, I believe, which sounds like plenty of time but I need all the time I can get!

In the meantime, my brother wants me to sign up for an 8k he may do in Tennessee in July. Hmm...

ennay
05-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Woohoo Lisa!!!!!

So excited for you Helen

5 creaky cranky miles this morning

LisaMarie71
05-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I did a "speedwork" run this morning (trying to follow my 1/2 marathon training plan). I ran for five minutes, walked for one, and repeated that five times. I tried to run fast, but I'm still getting back into the swing of things so it wasn't terribly fast but pretty good for me. I ended up doing 2.8 miles in 30 minutes, which sounds better when I remember that five of those minutes were walking! Also, I had to do it outside with a few hills instead of on a treadmill like I wanted to (speedwork is the only time I prefer the dreadmill, of course).

The plan I'm following is 16 weeks of doing 2 easy runs, one speedwork run, and a long run each week. I plan to fill in the gaps with crosstraining on the elliptical and step aerobics, along with my usual weight training and yoga. The long runs work all the way up to 15 miles, which scares me! Tomorrow's is just 4, though, so that's definitely doable!

Can you tell I'm excited to be back? ;)

Ilene
05-19-2007, 01:21 PM
:woohoo: Lisa Marie!

Had a great 9.15k run this morning only the second one this week and it felt awesome... After my run I hopped on my bike and did 17k... It's going to be a good day :sunny:

ennay
05-19-2007, 06:20 PM
12.4 today..good run

Way too much to eat after but should be good.

WindyCityChick
05-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi ladies - sounds like everyone is doing great this week! So glad to hear the new shoes are working their magic Lisa.

I ran a practice half marathon today, as a dress rehearsal for the real one I signed up for which is coming up in 3 weeks. It went ok, but not great - I skipped lunch before the run because I don't like to have a lot of food in my stomach when running, but I think I ran out of gas a bit by the end because of this. That's ok, because: (a) I finished it! and (b) my scale today told me that I've lost 101 pounds since I started my journey.

Any advice from the experts here on how much to taper in the week or two before the race? Right now, I'm averaging about 30 miles a week, with a long run in the 12-13 mile range. I know that I should scale back from this so that my legs are well rested, but not sure how much.

ennay
05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Rachel

for a half usually 2 weeks before take your last 12-13 miler. that week run your shorter runs as normal. 1 week out do a 6-10 miler. Some say 1 week taper for a 1/2, some say 2. So you could do a long run as late as 1 week out. If I had the time I prefer about 10 days, so I would take a long run on a wednesday, but usually that isnt possible.

That week before the race do your normal runs a little easier and a little shorter, eliminate speedwork and weights with the exception of a few short "pick-ups" (short sections where you go up to race pace for 20-30 strides) in the middle of maybe your wednesday run. The friday run can either be ~ 2 miles or eliminated.

Some people like to take the day before the race off completely, some like to go out for 2 miles or so to stay fresh.

Warm-up before the event--it helps you burn fat for fuel.

YP1
05-20-2007, 07:37 AM
That was nice, a PB in the 10k I did this morning. I took about 40 seconds off, coming in at about 47:08. Even better, my legs are good and no damage done before Edinburgh. Next time I put my running club vest and "race" socks and shorts on it will be for real!

LisaMarie71
05-20-2007, 03:14 PM
A nice and easy 4-mile run today. I could've done without the sun burning my flesh, but other than that it was lovely! There's a nice spot on my usual route where the smell of honeysuckle is really strong, and I've always loved that smell. It's hard not to stop and drink a few drops from the little flowers, like I did when I was a kid! Maybe I'll do that next time...

ennay
05-20-2007, 05:58 PM
you know Lisa, as soon as it gets above 65 here I am going to be whining about the sun and the heat....but for right now. I am SO freaking tired of running in 43 windy drizzle. I am jealous of your sunburn.

I had to turn my heat back on today. rrrrr

LisaMarie71
05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, it's odd...last week it was much chillier than usual (especially Friday night, when I saw an outdoor concert -- Elliott Yamin -- in the cold rain!), but today it was in the 80s. When it's in the 90s, I'll be inside on a treadmill or I'll be running VERY early in the morning. It's very humid here in the summer...ugh.

LisaMarie71
05-21-2007, 06:45 AM
3 miles in 32 minutes this morning.

AnneWonders
05-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Lisa, just a note to say I'm glad your foot pain is gone and that you are running again! You are doing great.

Anne

ennay
05-21-2007, 10:27 AM
4.99 this morning (40 degrees)

Lisa - I run at 5:45 most days so even in summer it wont get much above 60

shananigans
05-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Had a great run yesterday, 3.6 miles! My longest run ever. Nice and brisk out, it was mid to high 40s. Once it starts getting too warm out I'm gonna have to get up and run early, it really makes a difference in how I feel when running I like it to be on the cool side.

YP1
05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Well done everyone on some good runs.

I just did 3 miles with running club this evening. I remember when that used to be a struggle, now it seems like I've stopped as soon as I've started. Still, I'm meant to be taking it easy this week so I turned down the option of another 4 miles when I got to the first turn off point.

ennay
05-21-2007, 04:14 PM
shananigans- oh I like it cool too, you'll hear me whine when it gets warm. I run tuesday evenings with my relay team and it gets REALLY hot then and whine whine whine. But every morning I shiver out the door.

Ilene
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I had a great run this morning too, it was on the coolish side about 12c/53f... and I loved it. The hour flew by... I've decided that I only go out for an hour now... Run 30 mins take same route back 30 mins... It's funny though I seem to be going further and further every time:lol: ... I think my biking has improved my running and stamina because I bike 20k every day whether I run or not and I can feel the differece in my runs :carrot: ... And lo and behold the scale is going down too :D:D:D:D ...

hikerchick
05-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone.

Just got back from Yosemite. Great place to run!!!!

I did keep getting lost but at least in the valley it is fairly easy to find your way back to something familiar. Tried running up one of those crazy steep traills and the run turned into a fast walk for most of it. But it sure was a good workout.

Something I want to work up to....running straight up like that.

Anyhow managed 7 or 8 miles hard to tell exactly from the map. Lots o fun. Yay!

stacylambert
05-22-2007, 01:14 AM
I haven't posted in awhile but I have been keeping up on my running. My longest run so far has been 5 miles so I'm very happy with that. But I just had to come in and post my 5K results because I'm so excited!!! After only 5 weeks of training my time was 33:08!!! :carrot: According to my training I thought I was going to come in around 36, so needless to say I was surprised! Going into I had all these fears that I was going to be last. Silly I know, especially since there were walkers, but I was soooo scared. I'm actually looking forward to the next one now!

Ilene
05-22-2007, 08:36 AM
:bravo: Stacy!!

AmberD
05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
:cheer: Congratulations Stacy!

I've been lurking around the thread but thought I'd pop in and say I'm still here! I've been trying to slowly increase my mileage to 25 a week. So far, I've made it to 18. (For one week, it's usualy closer to being 10-15).

I ran my second 5k this weekend and beat my old time by more than 5 minutes, so that was super cool.

ennay
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Wooohooo Stacy and Amber

I am officially registered for Hood to Coast (http://www.hoodtocoast.com/) now...but I had to put in my 10K time prediction.

Well, I havent done one recently, I did one in January but that was only 3 months post partum...and it wasnt a 10K no matter what the race organizers say.

So I went to the race time predictor calculators (http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=6765) and based on my half last week they say I could do 56:58. Wow. That would be amazing to me. My PR on an official 10K was 59 but I am in much better shape I think.

And I am pretty excited --logged my 400'th RunEquivalentMile yesterday. 1/3 of the way to my goal. (REM - 1 running mile, 10 min hard stationary biking, 1/3 swimming mile, 2.5 road biking miles - its my personal estimate of equivalent effort)

shananigans
05-22-2007, 11:41 AM
WTG Stacy and Amber! :carrot:

I am looking forward to my second 5k on June 2. I’m thinking I may actually break 30:00. :crossed:

Hiker – Running in Yosemite sounds amazing. 7 or 8 miles of hills sounds like a great workout. :faint: ;)

RidiculouslyAddicted
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I know I've posted here twice before, but I'm still kinda intruding, so sorry... but I need some encouragement!!

Wow... Just reading through all of your posts...
I'm quite convinced that I'm the SLOWEST RUNNER ON THE PLANET!!

What's wrong with me? I've been "running" for about a month now, I mentioned previously that I go 5K (Actually it's about 5.3K), alternating walking and running. I'm currently up to running about 3.5K of it, and it's taking me FORTY-SEVEN MINUTES!?!?! Granted, there is a monstrous hill on my route, but there's a big downhill, too.

I've read posts where people are WALKING 5K in 40 minutes or less, so what's my problem? I'm really confused. I thought I was doing well, but obviously NOT!! I wonder if my mileage is off? I tracked it with gmaps pedometer... I also don't eat before running - should I? I just get up, put on my clothes, stretch, and go. I'm really disappointed in myself for being so pitifully slow. I mean, I knew I was slow before, but when I read a post today about someone walking a mile in 13 minutes, I just wanted to cry.

Any advice??

hikerchick
05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
RA

Don't fret that was about how fast I was going at first too. I have the hill also. It doesn't seem that the downhill part helps too much. I have stopped watching the watch so to speak. Actually I lost it. I figure if *I* feel worked out then I am doing everything right.

You will get faster give yourself time.

LisaMarie71
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Lisa, just a note to say I'm glad your foot pain is gone and that you are running again! You are doing great.

Thank you so much! :)

Great job on those race times, Stacy and Amber! :carrot:

Ilene
05-22-2007, 05:02 PM
-Shelby- No, no, no, *I* am the slowest runner on the planet :lol: I still don't do 5k in 30 mins... Hickerchick hit it on the nose: "I figure if *I* feel worked out then I am doing everything right. " Speed will come with practice ...

Amber -- :bravo: on the race time!!

I didn't run today, I did weights, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in about time and distance :D

ennay
05-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Shelby...you have been running only a month. Running is just not natural for a lot of people. What matters is the process, not the number. I ran for YEARS before I broke 30 minutes. I spent a great deal of time in the 13+ minute mile range.

And I STILL can not walk faster than about a 15 min mile, speed walking is not normal for me.

This isnt about competing with others, its about doing what you can do. On average it takes a runner who runs 4-5 times a week SEVEN YEARS to reach their genetically optimum pace.

Are you working hard? then its right.

Oh....and a downhill can never make up for an uphill. That's why people who are trying to BQ look for FLAT races.

And note the term genetically optimum. Some physiques are born to run, some arent, but the beauty part is you dont have to be fast to reap ALL of the rewards of running, spiritual, mental AND physica.

RidiculouslyAddicted
05-22-2007, 06:05 PM
*whines*
But I don't WANNA be slow! ;)

Thanks for your responses. It just seems like 47 minutes is really, really, really slow, KWIM? But since I started at 55, I guess I shouldn't complain... too much.

I AM working hard, and I push myself a little farther every time I run. I'm only running 2-3 times a week right now, biking and swimming 3-4 times a week.

What's BQ?

Should I be eating before I run? If so, how long after eating do I have to wait before going?

And I am really enjoying running. It's fun pushing myself, and it's something our bodies really were designed to do, even if my stumpy legs don't seem to think so! :D

Oh, and SEVEN YEARS?!?! Seriously?!?!? Yikes!!!

LisaMarie71
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Shelby, I've had to work really hard to get over that feeling that I'm just WAY too slow. Part of that is having a superspeedy husband, but it's just hard not to compare yourself to other people anyway. The great thing about running is that we can always just compete against ourselves, and you're working hard at it, so that's what matters. It's easy to say, I know, but it's still hard to deal with -- I know because I'm still struggling with the speed thing and I'm just trying to accept that I'll get there eventually!

Today I did a speed workout on the treadmill (see? trying to get faster!) for 3.25 miles. Good lord, the rivers of sweat that poured out of me! I feel like I lost ten pounds.

ennay
05-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Wait you have gone from 55 to 47 in ONE month? that is awesome!

BQ is "Boston Qualify" qualifying for the boston marathon. Maybe when I am 70----if I dont get any slower.

Eating - for an am run it is really a matter of preference. If you are running and all you can think about is food, it might be worth a shot. For runs under an hour I do sometimes, usually I dont. But, I always do before a really really long run.

If you are going in the morning and want to go as soon as you get up nothing or small and easily digestible. Small glass of juice. 1/2 banana.

If you have the time (hour or so) between when you get up and when you run. toast with pb or something in that range. Energy bar . Some people like small yogurt, I find it highly indigestible.

If you have 2-3 hours then definitely eat.

RidiculouslyAddicted
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
THANK YOU! :D Feeling better now, for real! You guys RULE!

Yep, my first "run" was on April 23rd, at 55 minutes. I've gone 10 times total now, and my best time was 47 minutes (today was 48, tho).

Thanks for reassuring me about the food thing. I'm usually a little hungry when I wake up, but not starving, and when I'm running I don't think about it at all, so I'll stick to not eating. If I ever get up close to the kind of distances you guys are doing, I'll start eating! :D

Again, THANK YOU for all the support.

AnneWonders
05-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey Shelby, you are doing great!

I did my 3.1 mile loop this morning. 4 walk breaks! I've been feeling sort of blah the last couple days, like I have a cold deciding whether or not to come on, so I'm blaming that. 42 minutes.

Anne

YP1
05-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Everyone's doing great for getting out there. I wish I could, but I'm being a good girl! I am allowed 4 or 5 miles this evening though so I'm going to make the most of it, then two on Friday. I already feel like I have so much energy, so fingers crossed it comes out in the right way on Sunday!

shananigans
05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Shelby – That is AMAZING progress for one month! :bravo: You are doing great, keep it up and you’ll gain the speed with no problem. I did c25k so I took the full 9 weeks to get up to 30 min of jogging, and that sure didn’t add up to 5k for me, but it got me started. The first time I did a 20 min jogging segment with no breaks I couldn’t believe I had done it, now I can jog for at least twice that long. You are doing great, progress will come if you keep working at it!

I totally understand the comparing yourself to others thing. My older brother has completed the Detroit, Chicago, Boston and New York marathons. Both of my sisters have done half marathons and do several 5k and 10k events every year. And they complain that they’re “slow” if they average over an 8 min mile. Sometimes I find it hard to believe we come from the same gene pool, guess I got hit with the "slow stick". :dizzy: I just figure I have to compete with myself, because then I can always win all the time, all I have to do is keep improving.

Anne – Hope you are feeling better. Some days I just feel sluggish out there, especially if it’s hot and/or humid. But I’m guessing humidity is not much of an issue in AZ.

Helen – That so funny that you have to “hold yourself back”. I still have to more or less force myself to run most days, not as awful as it was a at first, but now that I know how great it feels after I run I try to have the “just do it” attitude.

That’s interesting about the 7 years thing, who knew it would take that long? Guess I’ll look forward to hitting my stride by my mid-30s. :lol:

shananigans
05-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, I got up at 5:15 to run this morning! I like that it’s quiet and cooler at that hour and I don’t have to worry about traffic. Beats coming home cranky from rush hour commuting and trying to get motivated to go run in the heat and dodge cars. I just have to get myself used to a new sleeping schedule. I also used a pedometer for the first time, does anyone else use one? Not sure how to best use one to measure distance, I guess you’d just run a course that you know is one mile and see how many steps it takes you to complete it? My 5k route took 5,555 steps, so that’s about 1,790 steps/mile.

YP1
05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
shananigans - that's how I know I'm so much better prepared this time. Last time I did a marathon I got to the taper and was so relieved to be back at a mileage level I could cope with, this time I'm kind of missing the long runs and can't wait to do the race!

I did 3.5 miles with running club this evening to keep my legs ticking over. The problem is that because my mileage is so low, I'm running way too fast and I'm going to have to be really careful not to start too fast on sunday.

Eves
05-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I just read the last couple of pages of this thread and I am so giddy, I can be one of you guys!!!

Sorta. Today was my first day trying to run since PE in high school many moons ago. But it was great! Tomorrow I am going to walk for 25 minutes and then Saturday it will be Week 1 Day 2. I`m so looking forward to it, I`m sure I`ll have to keep myself from jogging tomorrow.

Yay!!!

Ilene
05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Welcome to running Archy....

I had a decent run this morning... I went out for an hour, I could only run and walk by then end because it was already getting hot 22c/71f ... but it felt good anyways... Many times I had to walk just to wipe the sweat falling in my eyes because with contact lenses it really BURNS!!

hikerchick
05-24-2007, 06:39 PM
So I just got this treadmilll...

And dang if it wasn't hard to run on that thing.

I can always run outside but I am planning for the heat. I wilt when it gets over 90 even just walking. Anyhow after much cursing and pouting I got into a groove and ran 3 miles S L O W L Y. I was so afraid I was going to fall off.

Welcome Archy!
:welcome2:

Have a great race Helen. You are such an inspiration.

YP1
05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Welcome Archy!

why isn't it Sunday yet? I just want to get going and can't face another day in work.

ennay
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
welcome Archy! YAY now the running board can be funny!

Helen I am getting excited FOR you. What time is the marathon on Sunday (and what time is it now where you are?)

YP1
05-25-2007, 01:55 PM
The marathon is 9am, and I think we're 8 hours ahead of you over there in Oregon. It's just before 7pm as I type this.

I've just been out for my last 2 miler. I didn't have my SDM on, and just ran what felt like a fairly easy pace - it turned out to be a bit faster than target marathon pace which is reassuring, but I'm sure it won't feel that easy for miles 24 to 26!

I'm heading up to Edinburgh in the morning, I'm not sure when I'll be back online. Possibly on Wednesday at my parents house, unless I find an internet cafe in Madrid on Tuesday.

LisaMarie71
05-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Helen, I can't wait to hear about your marathon!

Today I ran 4 sloppy, difficult miles in about 46 minutes. My running form is probably never very good, but today it felt like it was a hideous thing to behold. I just felt seriously sloppy for most of the run. The last 1/2 mile felt like the best part. Maybe it was tough because I haven't run since Tuesday, and haven't worked out at all since Wednesday.

Sheila53
05-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Oh, my, we're supposed to have a running form? :D Lisa, kudos to you for running 4 miles in any form! I figure just the fact that I can get through 3.2 miles makes me pretty special so I'm always inspired by those who do so much more.

Ennay, if you see this, have you ever done the Mt. Tabor Challenge?

Off to run to the farmer's market and back. I really like the runs where I run somewhere, stop for a while, then run back. I make my DH carry all the purchases. :)

ennay
05-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Sheila...I did a race at Mt Tabor in 2005...I think it was a 10K? It was one HECK of a hilly run.

14 today with a monster hill in the middle, lets see:

ennay
05-26-2007, 01:59 PM
hmmm it truncated and only showed the back end of the hills.

Just for comparison though that one at mile 10 is the one that during my 10K in January made me cry.

ennay
05-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, in case the forum wont let me on again ...GOOD LUCK HELEN!!!!!!!!!

NavyWifeDee
05-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Helen - I know you did great, can't wait to hear about it!

Everybody else, Wow, you guys are making me know that I need to get my butt back out there (i've been off my running for a week or so... just a couple of short ones).

Shelby, I'm right there with you, I'm slow, and sometimes I feel like the slowest runner on the planet. It doesn't help that on both the 5k's I've run, I've been beaten by a good portion of the walkers. But hey, we'll eventually get faster right? and at least we're out there doing something.

<---going to get off my butt and do some cleaning now, so I can run this evening.. hopefully it won't be raining, which is why I've been lazy, but if it is, I think I'll just run anyway as long as there is no lightning.

Dee

ennay
05-28-2007, 01:57 PM
i can not believe the marathon doesnt internet post results until WEDNESDAY. I was going to look Helen up because I am dying to know how she did!

Of course I dont know what her goal was, so even if I could see her time I wouldnt know what she felt about it.

LisaMarie71
05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm excited to find out Helen's results too!

I ran 5 miles yesterday, and a creepy old man stopped his car and said something to me. I don't know what it was, because my iPod was on, but it freaked me out a little.

I didn't get up early enough to run today, and even though I have the day off I simply CAN'T run in this heat. It's about 90 and horribly humid. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, because I'm not driving all the way to the gym, but I may just do some kind of workout video here. Sigh...

RidiculouslyAddicted
05-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi!

Well, I'm down to a *mere* 46 minutes now for my meagre 5.2K. Bwahahaha! Slow and steady wins the race, right? Well, maybe not literally, but hey, whatever. I know that I'm pushing myself a little harder each time, so I'm happy with my progress. If it takes me another year and a half to get under 30 minutes, that's *ok* As it is, 9 minutes shaved off my time.

It was nice running this morning - 10 Celsius at 6:00 a.m., which was perfect for running in a t-shirt. However, it's gonna suck in the summer! I feel bad for those of you who run in the heat all the time (although you do get to run all winter).

AnneWonders
05-28-2007, 09:32 PM
OK, I'm gone for a week and dying to hear how Helen's race went, and I have to wait another two days!?!? Ack.

My DD has decided she wants to run everywhere. She is surprisingly fast for a 20 month old. I've been too exhausted to run on my own this week, although I am fast enough to keep up with her. Mostly.

Anne

WindyCityChick
05-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Helen, I join in with the crowd in dying to read your marathon report - I guess we'll just have to be patient...

Me, I did my last long run this weekend before my half marathon in 2 weeks - I am getting very excited, but also slightly terrified. I'm sure I can do the distance. just nervous about being in front of all those other runners - I still feel a bit like a pretender.

YP1
05-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Hello from sunny Madrid! (Well, sunny, but not sunny enough that it stopped me finding an internet cafe to update you all...)

I finished in...

3:52:11

I was pretty happy with that. Even though I knew there was an outside chance of 3:45, my main goal was just to break 4 hours, and I´d actually been thinking of 3:51 as a realistic finishing time somewhere between the two. I stuck with the 3:45 pacers until the 21 mile mark, then I had a nasty niggle in my calf/achilles/ankle area, on the ankle I broke and I decided that even if I took it easy to the finish I´d still break 4 hours comfortably, which at the time was a more appealing option than trying to kill myself keeping up with the pacers for another 5 miles. I struggled from 21 to 25, and then the last mile everything seemed to come together again and I overtook loads of people coming up to the line. I could barely walk at the end and had to shuffle to the pub, but have pretty much recovered now. I haven´t tried to run yet, but I´m walking OK and stairs aren´t a problem.

I´m flying to Gran Canaria tonight so will be able to post some more once I get there about the ins and outs of the race, but I thought I´d post a quick update here.

And 3:45 is in my sights in Amsterdam (October). After that I´m really confident that with another few months training I can break it and get a qualifying place for London.

AnneWonders
05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I finished in...

3:52:11

Sub Four!! Oh yeah!

Anne

YP1
05-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Spot the change to my signature ;)

Eves
05-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Wow, congratulations Helen!!! That`s awesome!!! I can`t wait for the rest of your report.

(Now for something completely different)

I finished the first week of the C25K program and I think I am going to repeat it. Today was the first run I had where I didn`t get a stich or get shin splints. I think it`s because I spent more time on my warm up, and I started to warm up my calves with some exercises to strengthen my ankle muscles.

Today I also paid a lot more attention to my stride and went for smaller steps. If I can do this without a problem for another week, I`ll move on to week 2.

Today was also the first day that I didn`t step on any dog poop, so it was a victory all around!

And I`m still unusually excited about running! Yay!

AmberD
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM
CONGRATULATIONS HELEN on a sub 4 hour marathon!!!! That is amazing.

And CONGRATULATIONS ARCHY on finishing week 1 of C25K. That is very awesome :)

I'm proud to report I got a run in on my little mini vacation!:) Only 2.5 miles, but it was all uphill. I swear it seemed like it was uphill the entire way out, and uphill the entire way back. The point, however, is I exercised on vacation :)

NavyWifeDee
05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Woo Hoo Helen! and woo hoo to you too Archy, first week is always hard, and not stepping in poop is always a plus. I ran 10 mins of my 30 min walk this morning, and going out for an actual run later, so be back to post about it.

Have a great day all!

Sheila53
05-29-2007, 02:55 PM
:bravo:, Helen! What an achievement!

Today was also the first day that I didn`t step on any dog poop, so it was a victory all around!

OMG, the coffee came spitting out of my mouth! Thanks for the laugh, Archy, and congrats on all your victories.

ennay
05-29-2007, 04:39 PM
:woohoo: Helen!

:woohoo: Archy! (a special place in heck for people who dont clean up after their dogs.)

LisaMarie71
05-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Yay, Helen!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

And a cheer for you, Archy, for missing the dog poop today! Yeah!! :cheer2:

I did 4 miles on a treadmill today -- my "speed" workout, where I do 6 minutes of running followed by 1 minute of walking, then repeat it 6 times, and I increase my speed throughout and try to make the whole workout faster than my usual pace. Oh good lord, the buckets of sweat when I do that. The BUCKETS. And somehow, when I choose to do the speed workout, that always happens to be the day that a kazillion of my students are hanging out at the gym as well, watching me sweat and flail about on the treadmill like a crazy person.

LadyFirelyght
05-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi all! Mind if I join in? I'm not yet a runner, but I've started the Couch to 5K program as of yesterday. I need motivation to keep with it, and I figure you all would be the best to help me out!

AnneWonders
05-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Welcome, Lydia.

Well, runners, I'm on the sidelines for a while again--the stick turned blue and with my history of complications I'm making do with walking and swimming for a while. I'll continue lurking and maybe occasionally posting. I want to see Helen make her London qualifying time and all the C25Kers get to 5K. Plus goad Ilene about finally doing that triathlon.

Anne

Ilene
05-30-2007, 10:52 AM
ANNE!! You're sooo funny :lol3: I'm still not sure, it's in August, and I haven't swam since the biking weather is here ...

:welcome: Lydia :wave: ... Looking forward to hearing about your C25K ...

No running for me today, ran yesterday, did the gym thing this morning instead... off to get ready for work now... TTFN :wave:

Ilene
05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh, AND :cheer: on the blue stick :woohoo: ... Take care of yourself!!

ennay
05-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Anne :woohoo: on blue stick!!!! Absolutely hon, sit back with your feet up and bake for awhile. We'll still be here when you get back.

Ilene - you should do it, they are so fun. Way easier than just running.

shananigans
05-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Congrats Helen! A sub 4-hour marathon is amazing. :bravo:

Had a lovely run out on picnic point on the lake last Sunday, then my car committed mutiny and all my time has been spent getting it back in working order and getting me and DF around in one car. :mad:

Back on the road tonight, 3 days to my 5k!

royalsfan1
05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd love to join ya'll, too! I know Lisa and Archy from another thread but most other names/faces are unfamiliar. I started C25k yesterday and looking forward to day 2 tomorrow!!! I'm SOOOOO impressed with the great running reports I've read in here! I hope I'm able to join the ranks of you successful racers before to awfully long!

ennay
05-31-2007, 11:08 AM
welcome tricia!

7.6 or so this morning.

Ilene
05-31-2007, 01:56 PM
:welcome: Tricia :wave:

LisaMarie71
05-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Yay, anne! :cheer2:

And Tricia, it's so good to see you here!! I'm so excited about the fact that you're starting to run. Woohoo!! :hug:

I ran 3.6 miles today, though I intended to run 5. I cut it short because my second toenail felt like it had fallen off. Ha...weird. It's just loose, though. Very weird. I tried to run at 5:00 am this morning but a dog growled at me and then chased after me, so I told it "Go away!" and it did, and then I was freaked out so I went back home! So I had to run at 5:00 pm in the 90-degree heat, and I even did some hills. Ack! I was determined to run, though. I got to the gym to change clothes and realized I didn't have socks, so I drove to a little local store and bought some!

royalsfan1
05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Newbie question - I've just started to run (week 1 c25k) and I've been weight training for 3 weeks, now. I've noticed the scale has slowed to dropping only a pound or so each week. Did you all notice this? I feel like it's surely muscles being defined and that my clothes will begin to tell a very different story from the scales but I'm a worrier...I start to panic right away if it feels like my weight loss is getting out of control. I CAN'T go back to what I was!!!

gremlina
06-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone! I finished Couch to 5k and now I am on a new 10 week program to get up to running 6 miles.. :-) I actually really like running now too.

royalsfan1-I have consistently not lost more than 1.5 lb. per week since after the first month I started to lose weight..My norm is no more than .5 lb a week. Remember slow and steady wins the race!

Ilene
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Tricia -- Don't panic, breathe, I promise you won't go back if you continue to do what you're doing along with a nutritious eating plan... You'll get wonderful muscle definiton and a healthy body :carrot:

I haven't run since Tuesday :( ... Life has been getting in the way since my car accident last weekend... But things are finally getting back to normal... Weather permitting I'll run tomorrow morning ...

Eves
06-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Lisa - This is my trick with dogs, I bend down and act like if I`m picking up a rock. I thought it only worked with dogs here, that are used to having rocks thrown at them, but it worked in Chicago.

Royalsfan - I`ve lost 1.5 pounds per week since I started running. Unless your diet goes out the window, I think you should be fine.

Ilene - Hope you have a good run tomorrow!

I stepped on dog poop today :( and got hassled by a police office. This was after I stepped on the poop so my patience was thin. Since I know his captain I got his name and freaked him out about hasseling tourists. GRR!

But, I`m still happy with the way I`m going. I really have to work about getting up a little earlier to run, but other than that my legs feel great.

I thought I couldn`t run because of shin splints but now that I am spending like 10 minutes warming up doing all kinds of weird stuff (walking on my toes, toes pointed out, in, and normal, etc.) my legs feel like I didn`t even work them. I feel like such a dork, if I would have figured out that I don`t get shin splints if I warm up and cool down properly I would`ve started a long time a go. And I`m supposed to be the smart one!

Whatever, tomorrow I`m walking briskly since today is leg day at the gym. Sunday is rest day and Monday I start with week 2. Woo-hoo!