Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #1  
Mel

Default The Chat- Check in Thread: May 1 - 15, 2007

OK, OK, so I'm jumping the gun by about 4 and a half hours...but mornings just don't work for me anymore!

I never did go visit the fancy gym down the road. With no traffic, I only live about 6 minutes (I drive really fast!) from where I work assuming no slooooow cars or long lines of UPS trucks. So I came home at lunch time and did my chest workout, them raced back to work and ate my lunch that I'd brought I'm still planning on checking out the gym, but another day. It's horrendously expensive, but for some of my workouts, I really need a gym. I can't duplicate what I like to do completely at home Getting my lifting done at lunchtime makes life soooo much easier than afterwork.

Shan! That's great news Congratulations- now you can join the rest of the world who spends their weekends at Home Depot

Tomorrow my mother and step-father arrive for two weeks. Yikes...they will have to entertain themselves. Maybe they'll cook and do yardwork, lol. My step-father is annoyed that I no longer belong to a gym with a sauna. He likes to lift 3 times a week and spend half an hour in the sauna each time. I told him to lift at my house, then go in the computer room and keep the door closed With 5 machines in here it gets pretty toasty

HAPPY MAY!

Mel
Old 04-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Wow early!!

When DH and I were looking at homes, one of them is near a Washington Sports Club (can we say $$$). They even charge for "trial" memberships. Our primary choice though is near where we live now and we live near a Ballys (but it sucks) and a Gold's gym (I belong to Ballys and I'm too cheap to try to switch).

I also work near a really nice gym and it can be on my drive home but I like working out at home.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Ah, expensive gyms. They're so much fun, if money is no object! Mine is a medium/expensive gym. In downtown Toronto, there are lots of choices but this one is about a 30 second walk from my office so that pretty much says it all. I get a corporate rate and enjoy the perks so it's not bad. I know there are some other very fancy/shmancy gyms nearby that, I think, charge $1000 initiation plus $150+ per month! Craziness, I know. I have to imagine that it's filled with lawyers/bankers and probably a lot of corporate memberships.

Anyway, everyone just does what they can I guess. For me, I need the gym or I just don't work out (at least not regularly and not too well). I wish I had the room for all the equipment at home...and that I used it! Then maybe my dh would use it too. He's finally starting to mumble about "maybe I should get some exercise too". It was shocking but we'll see if it goes anywhere. I have to find that balance between supportive and nagging.

This is for being almost May!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Everyone

From the previous thread looks like most everyone had a great weekend! Saturday was a little iffy here but the sun finally peeked through around noon and we felt a little more motivated to go into weekend mode. Sunday was insane, the weather was beautiful and everyone and their aunt was either calling me or showing up at my front door wanting to do something. It's nice to be loved... My plans for the day changed by the hour but somehow we still fit in a bike ride with DSs at the park like I promised.

DS2 has the sweetest little bike. If I haven't mentioned it before it is a two wheeler with no pedals, and no brakes. He just runs his feet on the ground to make it go. Boy is that child fast! He gets it cranked up and then coasts for quite a while with great balance. Cutest thing. Unfortunately, he can't keep up with those of us who are using pedals. Our bike ride was a little short but he felt like a big guy going with us instead of being stuffed into a trailer. Next year...he'll be ready for the real thing.

MEL: Thanks for the ant tip. I like the idea of using cinnamon. It must smell better than the insecticide too. Fortunately, it wasn't a big problem. I sucked them up with my trusty vacuum and haven't seen anymore since. Hikerchick, was that you with the carpenter ants? Those things wig me out. They are so big and like you said they have wings.

SHAN: Wow a house and a wedding all in the same year. And your stress level is in check? It's good stress though. Congratulations!

About those fancy gyms...ya know, there is a fancy gym that was just renovated less than ten minutes from me. DH also is eligible for a corporate discount membership that extends to our family but I prefer my current gym. It is further away and not quite as large but I don't think I want trendy and large. Parking is a real issue at this trendy gym for me too. They encourage members to park across the street of a rather busy four lane road when spaces in the front lot are full. Yeah, I don't think so. Not a "privilege" I'm willing to pay extra for.

Oh, let see, what else can I rant about this evening...? Nah, life is good who am I kidding? I did 55 minutes of cardio, HIIT elliptical and cycling, 30 minutes of LBWO, and 15 minutes of core and stretching. Knees are feeling healthier and my turkey meatballs made everyone smile at dinner tonight. : Well, actually the chianti was responsible for DH's grin but, I'll take credit for that too. This week my goal is to hit the gym five more days in a row, keep the eating squeaky clean until Saturday and drop a couple of pounds that really do want to leave. Really, they do...
Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #5  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals - Happy May!

I have just 5 months left before my wedding - eek! It didn't seem like I had much left to do, but now that it's getting close, the details are popping up to deal with, and that is starting to stress me out a bit!

I also need/want to lose 20# more by then, so I've got that work to do as well. My program is back on track, after last week's travel threw things out of whack a bit.

I'm quite spoiled when it comes to gyms - mine is at work, and we only pay $3/week to use it! Now granted, it's rather small, and doesn't have the latest equipment, but at times I am the only person in there, and I LOVE that! Then I don't feel so self conscious doing things like mountain climbers and not being able to do them for more than 30 seconds! So, I can't complain!

Mel - I love the cinnamon idea as well - I have some on the counter as we speak, but the ants seem to have moved on - last weekend was another story - I was killing them left and right!

I did a "core training for golf" class this afternoon, and boy are my abs sore! This is the 4th week of this class, and I've really got to do these exercises at least one more time/month to get myself used to them! It's really Pilates/abs work in disguise, so some men would participate!

Well, dinner's just about ready, so I'd better go attend to it!
Cindy
Old 05-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfL_Cat View Post
It's really Pilates/abs work in disguise, so some men would participate!
Cindy
What is it about men that they think yoga and pilates is so beneath them. There were a few guys that would occasionally show up at my yoga class back at the YMCA I used to go to in LA, but they were all Indian and the male instructor was British. Maybe it’s just an American machismo thing?

I finally got out for a run last night. Just wasn’t feeling it though, my calves and ankles were feeling kind of tight and just didn’t care to participate. Did my usual 3 miles anyway.

I’m thinking some core and back and shoulders should do for tonight.

Have to show the apartment to a prospective renter tonight. The landlady will let us out of our lease as long as we help her get a suitable tenant in there when we leave.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #7  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfL_Cat View Post
I also need/want to lose 20# more by then, so I've got that work to do as well. My program is back on track, after last week's travel threw things out of whack a bit.
Cindy - I forgot to wish you good luck with the pre-wedding weight loss goal. Just 5 months to go, it must be getting down to crunch time with all your plans for the big day! I originally thought that I might like to hit my overall goal by my wedding date, but even with it still being over a year away I have my reservations. I only lost 1 pound in all of April, and I would say my food was pretty good most of the time and the exercise efforts about what I’m able to regularly maintain with my schedule. Heck, even if I only lose 10 or 15 more lbs I will still be at my lowest adult weight ever, so I would be pretty happy with that.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone,

Boy have I been a slug this week. My runs are good but I have been lazy in the weight lifting department. I keep thinking that perhaps my body needs a little bit of rest. Perhaps, but I don't want to give it too much rest KWIM?

I'll try to kick myself in gear and get some sort of workout in today.

Shan congrats on the house!!!

Cindy 5 months to wedding. Very exciting.

And Shan's getting married too. Wow. I must have not been paying attention. When you think about it it doesn't really matter if you are at goal or not. Every little bit more is so much better than before.

Kids are being kids gotta go.

Have a great day!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #9  
Lovin' Zumba!

Actually, my dress pretty much fits me already - it's a little snug in the bust, but can be altered if necessary. I would be more comfortable in it if I lost the weight - but that's not why - it's more of a personal goal. I regained a lot of this weight since I started to date my DF, and it's sort of my wedding present to myself to get down closer to the weight I was when we met.

But, I don't want it to add to my stress, so I will just keep plugging along as I have, and if I'm as successful as I was the first three months of this year, I will be thrilled with that!
Cindy
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi all.

Spent yesterday SITTING most of the day at a training. Bah! I was tired than most days at work when I'm more active. Took myself straight outdoors for my scheduled training walk, and felt so much better for it! Doing the same this evening, though today was more "normal" at work.

Hiker - you do need to rest from WL once in awhile, don't feel badly, you won't lose much as long as you go back to it in a week or so.

Lydia - you sound like you had a really good weekend.

Cindy - 5 months will fly by. Good luck with getting it all done, and don't stress the 20#. At least you weren't unwise enough to buy your dress to fit 20# lighter.

Mel - how's the job going?

Gyms: I don't really have a choice if I want to drive less than 30 minutes. We have one real gym in town, along with a Curves, and a "cardio express" type place (which as it sounds has only cardio equipment, and NO SHOWERS!). There are 2 price levels at my gym, the basic which gives you everything except classes and raquetball, and the deluxe which of course adds classes and raquetball. We get a $5/person discount for being seniors, and end up paying $78/month for the basic. The owners are nice, and often around. I've taken some of the classes (trial basis) and they're okay, but not enough to up our membership (we don't play raquetball). I do wish it had a pool ( the HS one has limited public hours) and a hottub, but overall it's good. Has tons of free weights and machines, adequate and elliptical for cardio, plus a couple stairsteppers.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #11  
Kalamazoo Girl

S/C/G: 152.6/135.0/125.0

Height: 5'4"

Hi There All!

Mel: How are things going with the parental units? I think it's adorable that your step-dad got used to the sauna @ your old gym....but then again, if he winds up grumpy about it....then:

On the topic of gyms: The gym that I LOVED (Powerhouse) wound up closing-I spent 8 wonderful years there. It was the best because of the environment & fellow lifters (and non-lifters) that belonged there. I would have paid any amount to stay there because of the support & energy created w/everyone up in the house throwing up weights and training for marathons or bodybuilding shows. Hmmm...those were the days!

Now, I belong to a health club that is affiliated w/a local hospital. It's great in that there are tons of options for lots of people. The downside is...there really aren't many bodybuilders around-a lot of seniors that are there doing physical therapy. So, the atmosphere does little to motivate ya to get down & duuuurty! But, it's offered @ a discounted rate through my job...so that's the one I went with. For me, the atmosphere is key (and right now there are no gyms that offer it). I agree with Elisa that if I don't have a gym membership, I just don't remain faithful in my workouts.

Lydia: How's it goin' w/the mini goal this week w/workin' out 5 days? I haven't been up to doing anything-tired still. Really, I just need to force myself to do it-I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I really am using this hypothyroid thang as an excuse to stay heavy so that I have something to complain about. Wow-so if I am....I really would be my worst enemy eh? LOL about the chianti comment!

Cindy: Can you describe your dress a little? Is it sleeveless? Lacy? If I ever get married (I'm almost 40, who am I kidding?), I want something with a little color running through the bottom-like ribbons of hot pink or something crazy like that!

Hiker: I still give you credit (even though you feel sluggish), 'cause anyone with kids is always on the go! So don't beat yourself up!

HI PAT! HI SHAN-Did you find a renter to take over the lease yet?

Have a fab day all! Melinda
Old 05-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #12  
Lovin' Zumba!

Melinda - don't give up yet - I'm a first-time bride at 43!

My dress actually *does* have sleeves - it was hard to find one that did, but I felt the need to cover my arms - the area of my body I am least happy with!

The dress is white - I'd wanted ivory, but as it was an discontinued style, beggars can't be choosers!The skirt is matte satin, with a wrap-waist with side draping. The bodice above the waist is lace w/lots of beading and sequins, sweetheart neckline. The sleeves are sheer, slighty off-shoulder with lace appliques and tiny covered buttons at the wrist. Small train with some lacy detail added. I'll have to take a picture the next time I try it on.

You'd be surprised - there is much color in dresses these days - you can have colored sashes, and some dresses even have colored embroidery. Many designers have dresses in pink, gold and blue, as well as traditional white and ivory!
Cindy
Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

All this wedding talk is making me feel all misty eyed. I am such a romantic!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I don't feel too bad about taking a little break.

I even got little mini workouts in on M and W. A few squats, lunges and pushups and hang and try to pullups. I think I got in a whole 30 minutes yesterday and I am aiming for a more thorough upper body tomorrow. I think its lower body that is needing the break. Probablly cause I ran 6.5 miles of hilly terrain on Sunday. Duh!

Still trying to convince my body that I am wonder woman.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #14