Alternachicks - Another Tatt question for the Alternachicks

PinkyPie
04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi Girls :)

One of my rewards for one of my WL goals was to get my tattoos pimped up after all these years... I know what I want, but I want it to be original (well, semi anyway) and my own design.

Besides that, I have a question... do I really need to weigh less to pimp up a tattoo I have on my upper left arm? My DF mentioned to me that maybe I should just wait a little while... my arms aren't incredibly huge or something and when I got the original tattoo I was probably this size or maybe just a wee bit smaller (AND then I lost weight and had a skinny arm, which my tattoo looked better but not that much different if that makes sense?)

Thing is... I don't want to WAIT. I feel like there are SO MANY THINGS that I just keep waiting for and in the meantime I'm doing nothing because I'm not at these goals yet. You know... tatts, clothes, etc., why should I WAIT to look nice at the weight I'm at right now? Why should I wait to take dance lessons (I want to try flamenco or belly dancing) for "when I'm slimmer"? I want to live my life NOW not later!

If you girls really think (sure I could listen to DF, but I don't wanna :lol: ) that I should WAIT to fix this tattoo, then I will, but I just need to know what the general consensus is...

My other thing... I want to take the existing tatt and enhance it with hibiscus flowers and if I have to go half-sleeve I have no issues with that ;) I have a photo of my tattoo now and I'm trying my hardest to work photoshop to extract just the tattoo onto a white background but it's not working. Anyone with Photoshop experience who might be able to help me? Once I do that I can take existing flowers and designs I like and add them to the extracted photo :)

Appreciate your help and thoughts girls!

squeaker
05-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Not sure about the weight thing. I gained since I got my tattoo.

As for the Photoshop bit - I don't have the program in front of me, but from what I can remember - you can use the tool that kinda looks like a wand and decrease the tolerance (?) That should allow you to pick up just the tattoo. It may take a while to get all of it, but that should work.

PinkyPie
05-06-2007, 09:56 AM
thanks for the response.

I'm just going to do it anyway. I have an appt on May 18th.

mauvaisroux
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Oh frig, live for today! If you put things on hold "until" they it may not ever happen. Go for it! Ask the tattoo artist what they would recommend and go from there. A hibiscus sounds beautiful! :)

khep
05-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I say get the tattoo now and sign up for a dancing class!

aphil
05-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Going by your tickers, I don't think you should have to wait to get the tat worked on.

tart
05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Considering the permanence of a tattoo, it is different than joining a dance class. Either can be done at any time and at any weight, in my opinion. However, if your arms are an area that you think will slim down considerably, you might consider waiting just so that it will not alter the art work. This isn't a punishment of a denial of anything as much as making your investment worth it. However, if you are not expecting a huge difference in the shape of your arms, go for it.

Trizma
05-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Tats are great weight loss rewards. I made myself lose 100Lbs before I let myself get one. :P Well, you said you were getting it done on the 18th, so how'd it go? Inquiring minds want to know!

CrimsonClover
05-19-2007, 05:35 PM
that is going to be my reward to myself when i get to goal weight. I want all the characters from alice in wonderland in a V formation on my lower back. It will be 2 Vs actually ... the first one with the characers from the dinsey movie and the second the characters for Tennel's illustrations in Lewis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland

it will cost a fortune and take forever , but that is my motivation to get healthy

porchcricket13
05-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I've already begun my back piece and now have no idea whats going to happen to it after i lose the weight...i may also decide to wait to get it worked on til my weight is down...but who really ever knows whats going to happen over the next year...

PinkyPie
06-03-2007, 07:26 AM
just revisiting... sorry I didn't come back!

Basically, I had the tribal sun already on my arm, WHEN I was overweight. When I lost weight on WW the sun changed a wee bit but not that much... in fact it looked better! And it looked more like it was in the center of my arm.

So, I've been twice - I asked my tattoo artist and he's dead honest but he didn't see it to be a potential problem, so I've been in for two sessions.

I'm not done yet, my next appt is June 23rd. The original tattoo will be a different colour and will sort of flow into the flowers along with some background added :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/PinkyPage/PhaseIITatt002.jpg

CrimsonClover
06-03-2007, 04:59 PM
aww i love it ... the colors are brilliant!

looks like some of the flowers i spent the weekend putting in my garden!

squeaker
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Very cool tattoo Velveteen! :D

NightengaleShane
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I was going to tell you to get the tattoo pimped, then I saw you already are working towards that. Rock on... I love the tattoo, by the way. :)

And I totally understand what you mean about waiting to do things for when you lose weight - I have a SLEW of things I'd LOVE to do but am waiting... I bet I'm going to be really broke when I lose weight, between all the new clothes, tattoos, piercings, and vacations I want to take! Haha.

Emaline is unsure
06-08-2007, 04:38 AM
I say join the dancing class. Dancing is a great form of exercise, especially belly dancing.

I have a tattoo question too, two really.

I really want to get a tattoo, but I can never decide on where to get it. So far, the only places I can ever think to get them are my lower abdomen, my arms, and my neck. Any other ideas? I'd think the positioning on the tattoo I want would be silly on my arm, I dread what it would look like if I got it on my abdomen and then lost weight, and I'm not really sure I want to put it on my neck. I prefer a place that I can conceal relatively easily.

My second question is: How horrible would a tattoo look if I did get it on my abdomen and lost weight?

PinkyPie
06-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the tatt love girls :)

I checked into a dancing class and there's a summer flamenco class I want to take, but it already started. I also am totally broke... so I'll have to wait (sometimes you have to choose and I chose the tattoo). Waiting... again.

Emaline - what is it that you want to get. maybe we can help you with ideas for placement? I don't have any tattoos on my abdomen and the only place that really changed (actually for the better) was the original arm tattoo (the tribal sun) - I got it when I was overweight and then I lost weight an it looked better. But really, it all depends on what you would like to get.

Also, a good tattoo artist will be honest with you - if he or she thinks that it's not a good place because of a weight issue (and the abdomen is tricky) then you should take their word for it.

Anyway, would love to help you decide on placement if you want to share what it is you'd like to have inked :)

Emaline is unsure
06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
http://a266.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_15900e7739a21fb6845600bf9bae8b29.jpg

It's a drawing of mine. It's probably one of my favorites.

PinkyPie
06-09-2007, 05:56 AM
cute! what about on your shoulder blade? It would be hard for you to see it (I have one on my right shoulder blade) but at least you would have it!

PinkyPie
08-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Just thought I'd post an update. After a total of around 12 hours this is right after my last session today. I will need to go back again in about 6 - 8 weeks for a few colour touchups, but I'm really pleased with the result!

Just to recap - this was just a tired old tribal sun on my arm. I wanted to make it more feminine and pretty and positive, so I now have a lovely "garden" on my arm :)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/pinkyandfonzie/tattoofinished004.jpg

MangoKitty
08-12-2007, 01:39 AM
such an improvement! very nice tat :)

PinkyPie
08-12-2007, 06:59 AM
thanks :) the pic is a little dark, but because I had all that goo on my arm we couldn't get a decent picture otherwise.

I'm very pleased with the result!

witchyonadiet
08-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Well you have inspired me. I got my first piercing to celebrate my weight loss of 96 pounds (didn't quite make it to 100 because I needed a self esteem boost). I now want to do my first tattoo but wasn't sure if I should wait until I'm closer to my goal. It's going on my lower back and I think it will be fine so I'll go for it.

MangoKitty
08-20-2007, 02:07 AM
good for you witchyonadiet! what piercing did you get? you should definitely go for the ink. tattoo's are addictive!

witchyonadiet
08-20-2007, 07:23 AM
LOL - well I only got my eyebrow pierced but I liked how it felt !! I have major self esteem issues and have always been afraid to try EVERYTHING so it was a big deal to me. I want to get a tatt on my lower back and I definately want to get another piercing - but will wait on that for a bit until I am closer to my goal :lol:

MangoKitty
08-20-2007, 02:38 PM
hey, it all starts with the eyebrow, then before you know it you've got a 8 barbell corset and a tri-madison. trust me, i know first hand! i think body mods are great motivations for reaching your goal :)

Idealmuse
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I don't have any tatts if I ever can decide on a design I might get one after I drop the weight.

If I don't do that I might get an industrial piercing in one or both ears. I don't have anything too interesting at the moment. 2 upper cartilage rings on the ears and 2 stretched lobes (0g) although one fell out and is closing up and I have the re-stretch it now.

witchyonadiet
08-20-2007, 05:00 PM
My whole life I have been afraid to do anything - even stuff that is basic for most people - get on a train - go to a ball game etc and I have always thought the eyebrow piercing was pretty. I did it to show myself I can do things and to make myself feel better about how I look and to prove to myself that if I like something it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It was a huge deal for me and I thought it would hurt like **** but it felt good so I think I will be doing others.

Idealmuse
08-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Witchy I know what you mean.

The cartilage piercings were a BIG deal for me. I went alone. I had never even been to a tatt shop before so getting them done there was intimidating. The piercing guy was even shocked I was there alone.

It was during a really low point in my life and I needed to prove to myself I could take care of myself without help, and I could make major decisions without handholding... and I just needed to do something for myself.

They are still pretty symbolic in my mind. I don't ever plan on getting rid of them even if I'm a pierced granny. :)

witchyonadiet
08-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I couldn't even go alone. If I had had trouble parking (downtown Salem Massachusetts) that would have been enough to stop me. I too found just going into the shop intimidating. My friend came with me and the woman that did it was soooo cool. She seemed to understand what it meant to me and put me totally at ease.
It really sucks to be so limited by fear but I have been shrugging it off one small step at a time. Took the train into Boston, used the subway, went to Fenway Park (my sons first Red Sox game and it was a Yankees series) - got lost coming out at night and did NOT panic. I'm making new friends - and recognizing who is not a friend and voicing my opinions and not just agreeing with everyone so as not to bring unwanted attention to myself. It's been really liberating but really scary. Good for you that you were able to go by yourself !!!! Maybe for my next one I can do that !

srqmomof2
09-19-2007, 06:30 PM
I was thinking of getting a small tattoo for every certain number of pounds I lose. I'm not quite sure of the design just yet, as I just started kinda hashing it out, but I'm thinking of something small that leads to something big when I reach my goal. I always wanted to get a phoenix, because of what it signifies to me, so maybe little flames that lead to the big flame...maybe a little flame for every 20 pounds or so...any suggestions?

CrazyAva
09-19-2007, 08:52 PM
WOW! I must say, I LOVE what your artist did with your tat! That's beautiful. My most recent is on my foot and the next is going to be on my arm.