Support Groups - 21 Days to Beat a Rut ... Day 21

View Full Version : 21 Days to Beat a Rut ... Day 21

srmb60
04-30-2007, 10:42 AM
I like the idea of counting backwards.

I am in a rut. A frustrating rut. I've been half hearted about all aspects of fitness. Too much 'additional' food. Slack cardio. Wimpy weights. The consequences of my own actions are as can be expected. I'm hovering ... up a couple pounds. Down a couple pounds. Bloat, the blahs ...

Since I've found daily and/or meal planning threads and so on very encouraging let's try this. 21 days. Set you own parameters. I'm not even setting a goal. I just need to kick things up a bit. Stir up some enthusiasm.

I chose 21 days because that takes me to the next time we have a family eating type function. There's no good reason for me to have an off plan day in 3 measly weeks. Is there?

Anybody in? It's only three weeks. Who knows what kind of new habits we can form!

AmberD
04-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm in!!!!!

I will give up alcohol for 21 days! and out of 21 days I'll exercise for 18 of them.

I can do anything for 3 puny weeks.

srmb60
04-30-2007, 10:59 AM
OK, here's my general plan ...1400 cals of superfoods with 150 gms of protein (on average), some jogging in each daily walk and a four day weight lifting split with heavier weights.

Today that's a walk/jog, legs and ...

2 scoops of protein powder
turkey
salmon
yogurt
all bran
blueberries
walnuts
spinach
ff cottage cheese
and lots of greens!

2frustrated
04-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Ok 21 days of eating mindfully. I can do it, I can do it, I CAN... Starting tomorrow :D

stephyk
04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
21 days sounds good to me... I have already marked out my exercise days for the month, 4 times a week for the next 3 weeks. I have found that the past two months I have only dieted and that is not enough for me.. I eat right but I sit on my butt all day, so the weight doesn;t come off. I need to add the exercise in also.

21 days, I can do it!!!!!!

canadian mom
04-30-2007, 11:20 AM
my plan for the 21 days
1) 1400-1600 cals per day
2) 6 cups of water (I struggle to get a liter in most days)
3) give up chips and cereal (excluding bran cereal) the other cereals I add too much sugar too but bran I just seem to add fruit.
4) stick with my higher weights even when I feel like quiting.

stephyk
04-30-2007, 11:22 AM
perhaps I should set some more detailed goals.

21 days- 1300-1400 cals per day
exercising 4x a week (aerobic stepper, walking, weights)
drinking more water- I am horrible for going a whole day without drinking anything

booklover
04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm in! I'm going to start small, because small changes add up to big results in the long run.

For 21 days I will drink 10 glasses of water per day, and abstain from all fast food (even the salads). Those are part of my regular plan, but I have lapses every week. Time to start anew!

alinnell
04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
If you guys can do 21 days, so can I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hereby pledge to:

drink only 2 glasses (5 ounces) twice per week--that means weekends only. (This might be tough--it's my 19th anniversary on the 14th and DH is taking me out to dinner on the 12th and we're going to Vegas on the 18th for a wedding! I guess those weekends, I'll have 2 glasses in one night and then switch to club soda.)
start exercising again. I will get up and exercise for 20 minutes 3 times per week (it's a small start but I think I got burned out on the every morning thing back in January).
stay OP with my eating (won't be a problem--I rarely stray off plan).

ennay
04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Mine is simple---for 21 days I will not eat in a self sabotage-self loathing manner.

I feel confident in my exercise program, I dont always meet my goals, but the are for valid external reasons, not laziness (fever of 102, kids too sick to take to gym, etc.) and I always get back on track

Food...well sometimes I eat more than "target" but because I am actually hungry...considering where I am...I nreed to learn to listen to that.

But sabotaging binges are self destructive and lead to depression.

JasonsLea
04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm in! Is it okay if I start my 21 days tomorrow? That's my WI and the start of a whole new month.

My Goals:

*Exercise 15 days out of that 21.
*Instead of cheating for one day, cheat for one MEAL per week.
*Reduce my soda intake even more from the weekends to one day on the weekend (Sat or Sun).

poopymary
04-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Great idea. I have also been a slacker. I think this will be a good kick start.

HeatherAngel
04-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Oooh, Susan I am scared.... :(

But,, okay. I'm in.

21 days. No snacking in front of the television. I hope I can do this!

Heather :D

Clydegirl
04-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Good idea Susan.

I need to start exercising again. I've not done any exercise in ages.

I need to stay on program and get all my water in.

poppins3
04-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Great idea, Susan!

Exercise has been great for me, but diet . . . well, not so much. I've learned that counting calories is not a great solution for me because it leads to me only want meals that are inside a box and can be meticulously calculated.

So, my new plan is an intuitive/mindful eating approach. The main focus for the 21 days will be to stop overeating, particularly with sweets and snacks.

For 21 days, I will:

Record all of my meals, snacks, and workouts (and times) in a food/exercise diary

Workout 18 of 21 days

Stop binge eating on snacks, candy, and cookies. Have one treat per day (if desired) and stop there.

Make healthy choices at restaurants without overeating

abbyin
04-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Count me in, too! I've been in a rut and need to change it up. I will stay on plan, and exercise 3 times a week. I know that's not much to you all, but it's a challenge to me. Also, I will bring my lunch to work more often, instead of eating out so much.

srmb60
04-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Abbyin ... honey, honey, honey ... it does not matter what the rest of us do/should do/have to do. Three days a week ... the plan a la abbyin ... is YOUR plan.
We're just here to help you stick to it :hug:

buffalosister1
04-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Me too! I'm in. I re-committed myself today before I found this thread. Here's my deal. Have been "playing" with the same three pounds since Halloween. Yes, you read right. HALLOWEEN!!! I knew I needed a kick in the pants. So, I signed up for boot camp at my gym and that started this morning at 5:30 AM. So, I commit to exercising 5 days a week (I had been doing 3). AND........I will stay on program too. I have been a WW for a year and three months. It works when I follow it. ;) I have a family member's wedding to attend on May 19th and would like to look better than I do now. Phew! There. I said it all out loud. Does typing count as saying out loud???

2Fat4myJeans
04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
THANK YOU for starting this. In the past few weeks, I've gotten sloppy with my eating, lax on the exercise....you know. I need to step it up and get back on track. 45 minutes of exercise/5x a week, and EAT CLEAN, especially on the weekends.

I'm in!!!

Doughnut
04-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Susanthank you for starting this. And the exercise thread in Featherweights. I really need to shake things up. You got me back onto my exercise machine so now I need to do something about the food.

I too will start my 21 days on Tuesday as that's my weigh in day and 10 weeks exactly till my beach holiday. My 21 day plan:-

* no cookies, cakes or chocolate even if I can afford the calories
* 3 whole weeks on plan. As was said, it's only 21 measley days.
* check in here before it all goes wrong NOT after :^:

Mudpie
04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Starting tomorrow (it's already past 5 p.m. my time) I will, for 21 days

:ink: Not snack in front of the TV
:yikes: Cut my diet Pepsi habit from 4 to 2 355 ml bottles per day
:halffull: Drink 2 extra bottles of water (see above)
:o Eat fruit instead of sugary snacks

:woohoo: Dagmar

AmberD
04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
So for day 21, I am successful!!!

No alcohol (Not that hard, as it is Monday night)

I went running (9 miles!! :):) I rule. Actually, I almost died)

How did you ladies do today?

abbyin
04-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Thank you Susan :o

buffalosister1
04-30-2007, 11:02 PM
My day 21 went well too. My heart rate monitor says I burned 1020 calories in two gym trips and a walk with two neighbors. I don't count calories. I do Weight Watchers. So I think I took in about 1200 calories today. Not even sure if that is healthy. Have never exercised that much in my life. I feel good though. :)

HeatherAngel
04-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Great! But then this week will be easy-peasy for me, I will admit - I am committed to being out of the house EVERY evening until Sunday, and by the time I get in, I do a quick check of email, then 3FC, then go to bed!! So - no snacking!! :D

Heather :)

2frustrated
05-01-2007, 04:20 AM
Well it's day 21 for me today... I was having a rough time yesterday and it just wasn't going to happen. So far so good... I've had a wonderful breakfast :D

Mudpie
05-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Just put 2 bottles of water and 2 bottles of Diet Pepsi in my car, along with an apple sliced up for that 2:30 p.m. crash. :cool:
Dagmar

JasonsLea
05-01-2007, 09:02 AM
It's day 21 for me too and it's gotten off to a good start: I WIed today and I'm down 5.8 lbs since last week. Plus I was able to go to water aerobics for the first time in months last night AND I tried a new tea and it was delish.

canadian mom
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I stuck to my cals yesterday. I only got 4.5 cups of water in me. No chips or cereal thought and my weights haven't come yet so i have not started muy heavier weights but that one is not my fault.lol

canadian mom
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Shari ~ WOOHOO!!!!!

2Fat4myJeans
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Good day 21 for me, too. I weighed today and am down .2 lbs from yesterday - and my biggest accomplishment was keeping my eating on track. Hooray! Now I need to step it up for the 45 minutes at the gym today... I need it, too...

Is that really me
05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Ok, ok I'm in for the 21 day challenge w/you gals!

My goals:

1. Eat between 1300-1600 calories per day.

2. Stay OP for 90% of the time for the next 21 days, no matter how much I'm tempted. :devil:

3. Continue w/my current exercise program (heavy wts. [ooo, my arms are getting nice! :D ], HIIT cardio and 3-4 1.5 mile dogs walks per week) BUT move more throughout the day in general. I always get my "formal" exercise in but then don't always move nearly as much as I should for a good chunk for the rest of the day. :dizzy:

I'm counting yesterday (4/30) as day 21 'cause I completely stuck OP w/everything. 1500 cals, exercised and dog walked and cleaned (ok, could have done more cleaning :^: ). So the end of the challenge w/be May 21 or there abouts, right? Great idea Susan B!

Jo

alinnell
05-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Day 21--yesterday went well. I intended to get up and exercise this morning, but forgot until I was half-way through my shower!!! There is always this afternoon, though. Eating was totally OP, though I did give in and have a sip or two of a martini (but no wine, does that count?). Today's menu is not yet entered in fitday, but I'm confident it will come in under 1400 calories.

srmb60
05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Oh dear ... between work and family ($$$) I haven't even been near 3FC for almost a whole day!
Yesterday went well. I did legs. Walk/jogged and went for a walk with my neighbour. 1500 cals with 173 gms of protein.

I'm going to try to keep my cals a little lower than that today. It's chest and triceps day. I'm not sure about the walk/jog thing. It's kinda drizzly here. Maybe later.

srmb60
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
And the next day ....
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1676588#post1676588

Is that really me
05-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Day 20 went great! Much better than I expected. I woke up hungry and was at 500 cals. by 11:30am and was starving. Made a great choice for lunch -- whole grain wrap w/sauted (sp?) peppers and onions and 3 oz. of veggies strips (80 cals for 3 oz w/15 grams of protein), some light sour cream and l.f. shredded mozeralla. Oh and some lettuce. Total was about 300 cals. Only had a cup of coffee b/twn lunch and dinner and am currently sitting at 1350 cals for the day. WOW, most excellent!!! House is on in 5 mins then I'm off to bed. Also got a dog walk in, in addition to work. How's everyone else doing so far?

Jo

buffalosister1
05-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Hi all. Today went GREAT!!! Got up early and went to the gym. Stayed within points for my weight watchers. :) Look forward to boot camp tomorrow morning and another on program day. Have a good one!! --Amy

BlueToBlue
05-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm in! Here are my goals:

When I am home:

I will eat between 1200-1300 calories per day.
I will not eat more than two chocolate covered espresso beans per day and will only eat them in the evening. I will not eat them everyday.
I will cut back my Tues and Thurs cardio sessions to just 30 minutes. The rest of my exercise regimen will stay the same.
No wine until I've lost 5 lbs!

When I am at business conferences:

I will not eat the breakfast pastries, afternoon snacks, or desserts (except maybe occasionally with dinner).
I will not eat airport food, but will pack my own food to eat on planes.
I will pack energy bars, bananas, and apples for breakfast and snacks.
When given a choice, I will select the healthiest alternative that is appealing to me. I will not eat pasta and bread just because it is in front of me.
I will get up early and do 30 minutes of cardio or weights in the morning.

I'm going to count today as Day 21 so that I won't be two days behind everyone and since I actually managed to meet most of these goals. I'm at a business conference and I skipped the very appetizing looking breakfast in favor of my energy bar and banana, I had the salmon and veggies instead of the lasagna from the lunch buffet and skipped the dessert, and I skipped the incredibly delicious looking cupcakes during the afternoon (luckily I was speaking right after the break, so that ruled out eating during it). Go me! :broc: I swear, these conferences are pure evil in terms of food. I also skipped the big evening event because I have a lot of work to do (so why am I avoiding here on 3FC?) and ordered roasted chicken from room service (no dessert). But I am eating some of the dinner rolls because this entre is quite a bit smaller than expected. Oh, and I ran for half an hour this morning.

Mudpie
05-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Tuesday Day 21 was super! Missed my diet Pepsi though - that little jolt in the afternoon. Had a 3rd bottle of water instead - just wasn't the same. But that's the point of this isn't it?

It's so much easier for me to diet away from my DH. Did not watch TV last night - read instead and then took the dog for a walk just before bed. I have 16 days here at the dog sit and I think that will motivate me much more than at home. :devil: No temptations either - checked in at home yesterday and there were 2 litres of "candy" ice cream in the freezer. DH is welcome to his junk food! I've got fruit and mini bags of light micro popcorn :smug:

Dagmar

ShyCammie
05-02-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm in...
But I'm already behind by 2 days. Yikes!
My goals are:
- Re-start my food and water journal.
- Drink a minimum of 2 qts of water per day (especially on weekends when I'm very bad about it) and two 8 oz water, ACV, and lemon waters per day
- As nebulous as this is, I'm determined to find a way to squelch the evening sweet tooth. I have no idea how to do that as it sneaks up on me and is VERY strong...(it's kind of like getting mugged or something;) ).
- Continue my excercise - at least 30 mins of water jogging (easier for back and knees) 4-5 days per week. Walking 30 mins twice weekly, and I'm going to add the cross trainer back in...at 15 mins per day.
:^:
This seems like, well, a challenge to me. For me it's a lot, but I should be able to do it.
(BTW, if anyone knows a dentist who can remove an evening sweet tooth, or any other way to get rid of it, please let me know.)
Cammie

Mudpie
05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
(BTW, if anyone knows a dentist who can remove an evening sweet tooth, or any other way to get rid of it, please let me know.)

:( That's been a BIG problem for me too. I've been trying to have fruit which is just not the same as chocolate, cookies, or ice cream (or all three in one evening) :o
Anyone have any suggestions?
Dagmar

Mudpie
05-02-2007, 08:57 PM
:) Went pretty well today. Did give in this afternoon and had an extra diet Pepsi though (ARRGHH!! :p ) - couldn't face the last dog walk without it.

No TV tonite - really catching up on my reading and not snacking except for one banana before bed.

Anyone else wake up hungry at 2 a.m. without a little snack before bed?

Dagmar :D

Kimush
05-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Hello Everyone

I am late but I hope that I can still join!

My 21 day challenge is... :comp: :woohoo:

1. I will take all my daily supplements...
Omegas, evening primrose oil, multi-vit, vit c, etc

2. I will not eat any food that are pre-packaged or prepared
...No cereal, frozen meals, 100 cal snacker packages, nothing in a non-natural form...

3. No toxic foods...
No alcohol
No pop
No white floured or white rice products
No trans fats or un-necessary fats or un-healthy fats
No sugars except in natural forms-fruits or veggies

4. I will drink my minimum daily requirement of water

Well tomorrow is my weigh date so I am uncertain what will happen as my mood has been "sour or poopy" all week...and I really think that your mental health and outlook on life are so important! So I am hoping that this will work!:woohoo:

SlimmingWorldChick
05-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Get out of my head!!:) I was thinking to start a thread like this!!

I'm actually on Day 2 of my own self challenge too.:carrot:

Eating was good yesterday didn't manage any exercise though. I'm still in major pain from my last workout with the instructor! And I'm feeling very positive now ive found this thread!! :D

Kimush
05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Hello Everyone...

After setting the parameters of my 21 day challenge...today was day one and I was successful and maintained all of my goals...

This should help as I am heading into too my 2nd week of a plateau and feeling pretty bummed about it!

buffalosister1
05-04-2007, 12:08 AM
So glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I too had another good day. I even rode my bike 16.5 miles today. Only thing is, I am so tired. It is just after nine PM and I find that I must go to sleep as I have boot camp early tomorrow. --Amy

Kimush
05-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Hey Everyone...
This is day 20...and it was really good...yesterday I followed all my guidelines and I got in just over 11000 steps...

Today...followed all my guidelines and made some good choices...and I am at 9671 steps today...So not too shabby...

Keep up the good work everyone...

Kimush
05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Well Hello Everyone!

Well we are at day 19...I did well and stuck to all my guidelines...

I also was crazy busy so I was really burning calories all day...first defrosted the freezer/fridge...went grocery shopping...and then 3 hours of gardening: sweeping, raking and pruning bushes...

All in All a good day! :dance: :D :dance:

Kimush
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
:dance: Today is day 15 and I have been challenged by my goals and guidelines (water, no white flour)...but I have perserved and had a good start so...I have begun to look to other ideas for exercise other than walking...who knows...I think a goal will be to look to some other forms and make some commitments before my 21st day is gone!

Hope all is good with everyone!!! :dance:

Kimush
05-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Well Hello Everyone...

Today I am at day 7 of my 21 day challenge...and since I joined the 21 day challenge anti-rut I have lost 3.5 pounds...so not too bad...Mother's day was a challenge though...:dance: :dance: