Exercise! - Any very beginner exercisors?

View Full Version : Any very beginner exercisors?

NicoleNYC
04-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Anyone?

I haven't worked out regularly in a very long time, but my BP is high and I know I MUST make the time. I'd love a buddy or two (or twenty) to commit to doing one activity a day - any kind! I'm a big fan of the WATP series, but I know I'll be starting over with the one mile tape.

It would be so nice to have someone else starting around the same level who isn't going to get crazy and do like 14 tapes and run 10 miles in the first three days, then disappear, never to be heard from again (as has happened in the past).

Anyone interested in starting out with me? I know the weekend is coming and it's hard to start anything then, but maybe by Monday a few of us can get ourselves together enough to commit to just five consecutive days of SOMETHING. Anything!

Takers?

CrimsonClover
04-27-2007, 07:40 PM
i would parttake

my big thing is walking , i am beyond a basic exerciser ...

i started this week with walking 1.5 miles a day at moderate speed

trying to do it as much as the weather will let me

adaem
04-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Count me in too! I have just started walking again (after stopping for a while) April 4. I am 1.5 miles away from my April goal. I have been doing at least 2 miles a day 3 or more days a week. My goal for May is to walk at least 2 miles a day 5 days a week. It would be great to have some accountability. How often should we check in?

NicoleNYC
04-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Hi!

I'd really just like to be able to set a goal and be able to come here and post that YES, I did do what I said I would. I think the embarassment of coming up with lame excuses would keep me focused.

CrimsonClover
04-28-2007, 02:55 PM
walked 1.5 this morning

and 2 miles last night

daily check in ladies , where are you with your goals today?

adaem
04-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I have not walked today. I usually take off Sat and Sun. :beach:

My goal for Monday is to walk at least 2 miles and then on Tuesday start my May self-challenge. For May I am upping my goal from 30 miles for the month to 45 miles.

See you all on Monday.:carrot:

NicoleNYC
04-28-2007, 05:51 PM
I started the one mile WATP dvd and got distracted by a screaming child (only about 1/3 of the way in) so I'll start over later when (oh HA HA HA, I mean IF) she naps. If she won't nap, DH can take over for a bit. Either way, it's just twenty minutes and I WILL have them.

adaem
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM
AAHH. The crying baby while excersizing. I am so glad to be out of that stage (kind of - they still interupt, just in a different way). Don't let that stop you (like I let it stop me when mine where smaller). Every little bit helps!

Good luck!!

CrimsonClover
04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
got to keep giving it a try .....

2 miles walked today

NicoleNYC
04-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Yay! Two miles, that's great!

I've cut a deal with my husband who promises to take her every weekday evening long enough for me to do a tape or whatever. He's actually really good with her but if I want to do something regularly, we kind of have to check our various obligations and set it up in advance. So while the weekend was a wash, I wasn't planning to REALLY start till Monday anyway and now I have my plan in place. And really, I will be THRILLED with myself if I manage the one mile tape for five consecutive days.

adaem
04-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Way to go Crimson!! You are really inspriring me!!

Well, this week is not starting off too well. I have been sick since yesterday and I have not walked.:( I also have not been abe to eat much so I am hoping that will off set it. I am really upset with myself for not making my April goal. (just 1.5 miles short.) I still have tonight. Maybe I will just force myself and take a slow walk. Good luck everyone! See you all tomorrow.

CrimsonClover
05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
i got in two more miles yesterday

Nicole" YAY plans are great! good support from the hubby. He gets a gold star there =)

adaem: thanks! it helps that i come in here every night and post what i had done .... you guys are keeping me accountable! that is what i need more than anything else

hope all is well and the weather is nice where you are!

these nice days have been a godsend to me lately
winter really is too long in upstate NY

NicoleNYC
05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Yesterday was um, insane and I feel really dumb about missing my very FIRST day of planned exercise, but I did get in my one mile WATP today. In trade off, I'm going to do the tape on Saturday as well so in the end, I still get five days.

We have so much craziness going on, the day is over before I know it so I'm just going to have to be a lot better about planning.

adaem
05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Crimson - I live in Minnesota so I know what you mean about winter. I think that is why I can keep weight off so much easier in the summer than in the winter.

Nicole - Good job on the 1 mile! I know what you mean about craziness! Don't let it stop you. You can do this!

Well, I have been sick again today. I have been able to eat today and spent some time out doing yard work (what I could with no energy). I am hoping that today is the last of this and that tomorrow I will get back on my tredmil and get in at least 2 miles.

Good luck everyone and I will see you tomorrow.

tinamarie75
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
May I join you? I am on day 3 walking on the treadmill and need more buddies to keep me in check..lol I have been doing 2 miles a day at 2.7-3.0mph @5%-7% uphill grade.

adaem
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Welcome Tinamarie! We can always use more accountability buddies!

adaem
05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Ok. I am finally feeling better and despite being up 3 times last night with a sick kid, I got up and walked my 2 miles today.:carrot: I am on my way to making my May goal!

Hope you all have a good day too.

CrimsonClover
05-02-2007, 08:34 PM
themore the merrier!

how are you feeling adaem?

i got in 2 miles today and 2 miles yesterday ... yesterday was a bear to get through ... overcast and drizzliny ....

today, it was a pleasure actually! the walk went by quickly

adaem
05-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I am feeling much better (but now I think my 2 year old is getting it:( ) I did 2 miles today and was outside most of the day with the kids. Thanks for asking Crimson! I hope the weather is good for you again tomorrow. As much as I know this walking is good for me in so many ways I pretty much hate every minute of it. I hate to say that but it is true.

How is everyone else doing today?

Two Roads Diverged
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I would like to join! I just did WATP 1 mile today for the first time. I have had the DVD set on my desk for about six months.:o It was a little dusty, but I did it! Yay me! :carrot:

adaem
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Welcome Two Roads! Good for you!! I can't tell you how many excersize DVDs I have collecting dust in my house.

I walked just over 2 miles toay! :carrot: Getting closer every day to 45 miles!!

bearybig19
05-03-2007, 05:13 PM
can I join too? I just started today. (i just found this site last night). Im trying to work out for 1000 minutes in May. I did 60 minutes today. School is almost out (im in my first year of college) so i can have more time to spend on living healthier.

adaem
05-04-2007, 11:57 AM
2.45 miles today!:carrot:

How is everyone else doing?

CrimsonClover
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
two miles yesterday and today

each day it is getting easier to get through my legs are not killing me like when i first started

how is everyone doing tonight?

CrimsonClover
05-06-2007, 09:40 PM
ok today was one heck of a struggle to get my butt outside and walk... TOM is fast approaching and i am moody, depressed, frustrated and annoyed all in one!

i did get out there, not much pep in my step but i did begrudgingly do it

anyone else out there have days like this?

NicoleNYC
05-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I can't believe I started this thread and haven't even been able to keep up. I got in maybe two days last week. In my very weak defense, we have a LOT going on right now and I feel like it's all kicking my rear ends (husband travels for work, we're moving, closing on our first house, kid not sleeping, everyone is having allergy problems, sick relatives, you name it - nothing that would be big on it's own but everything together has kept me in the car for most of the past week). I am going to make a very honest effort to WATP (1 mile) every day next week. I promise.

Congratulations and good job to everyone who is hang in there.

adaem
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Nicole - It seems like everytime I start to excersize and really start getting into it everything that can happen starts to happen. I get sick, the kids get sick, everyone has bad dreams and wont sleep. I totally know what you are going through!! Hang in there and just do your best.:hug:

Crimson - I totally understand about TOM. I have no energy and can't stop eating. Even if I am not hungery I eat it. You hang in there too!! Good job with getting out there anyway and walking!:carrot:

I have not walked today. No excuse. Just did not want to get out of bed this morning and if I don't do it first thing I am not going to do it.

adaem
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
2.33 miles walked today and I mowed the lawn.:carrot:

I am almost at my calorie alotment and it is only 2pm. Yesterday I was a bit short and tomorrow I will just have to watch it a bit closer.

Hope you all are doing good today!

BabyBrownEyes
05-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I want to join!!!!

I walked 31/2 miles yesterday and 2 miles this morning...walking tonight as well!!

I'm hoping to do this everyday of the week since I get up at the same time in the morning and go to bed at the same time. I find it's easier to have an exercising routine when my bedtime and up time are the same every day.

I love exercise!!! :carrot: Common everyone...you can do it! I tried to start a couple weeks ago and went walking and that day ended up with severe bronchitis..yuck! Make sure you dress for the weather!

CrimsonClover
05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
two miles in yesterday and about to head out to do my two miles today

adaem
05-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Welcome BabyBrownEyes!:hug:

Good job Crimson!!:carrot:

I walked 2.5 miles today and vacuumed! (every little bit counts, right?;) )

adaem
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
3 miles today!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I hope you all are doing well!

adaem
05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
2 miles today!

I really wanted to do 3 miles again today but I just did not have the energy. I wanted to stop at 1 but I pushed on to 2 (being positive:) )

Where is everyone? Hope you are all having a good week!

CrimsonClover
05-11-2007, 08:15 PM
wow adaem! you are doing great!

Ok i was bad yesterday and did not go out walking, but i did go out today and do 1.5 miles

How is everyone else doing?

adaem
05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
2 miles this morning!

I am thinking of mixing things up a bit. Mon., Wed. and Fri. walking 2 miles and then on Tue. and Thur. doing my 30 min toning DVD. I will let you know how things go.

adaem
05-15-2007, 09:18 AM
No walk today but I did 30 min. Power90 DVD. :carrot:

Where is everyone? I hope you are all doing good!.

CrimsonClover
05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
i havent been on the computer much the past day or so ... but yesterday i walked 2 miles and today

it is starting to get easier , so i think it is time to tack on more mileage

BabyBrownEyes
05-16-2007, 12:23 AM
ahhh! So much to take in with this site that I TOTALLY forgot about this thread...okay..I'll just tell you what I did this past week (my week ended yesterday :) )

I did 36 miles ...hope that's alright.

adaem
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
2 miles today.

I am so sore from the toning DVD yesterday. It is also TOM so I have been having cramps all day. I am still going to force myself to get up tomorrow and do my toning DVD.

Crimson - Great job!:carrot: :carrot:

BabyBrownEyes - WOW! 36 miles in one week. Thats awsome! Good job!:carrot: :carrot:

See you all tomorrow.

adaem
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
30 min. toning DVD. I will also be mowing the lawn later today.

BabyBrownEyes
05-17-2007, 03:24 PM
30 min Tae Bo DVD

I will also be walking for 2 hours later..I'll figure the "mileage" ;) with my pedometer later.

CrimsonClover
05-17-2007, 06:32 PM
i did 20 minutes on the gazelle last night ... man did i sweat like a pig!

heading out for my 2 mile walk in about 10 minutes

how is everyone doing?

BabyBrownEyes
05-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm just waiting for dinner to settle before I leave. I got my pedometer and I'm excited!!! :)

adaem
05-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Great job everyone.

I have done good with walking and doing my DVD this week but my eating has been really bad. I have got to get it together. I feel like all this hard work is for nothing.

Tomorrow is a new day!

BabyBrownEyes
05-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Well..I did not walk for 2 hours but I walked 2.5 miles which is fine for me. usually I do that twice a day, but I did my Tae Bo video this morning. I'm thinking I'm going to walk 5 days and tone for 2, that might be better than doing something different in the morning EVERY morning. Cause I have to be honest..I don't look forward to Tae Bo (sp?).....maybe cause I just started and realized how uncoordinated I am. ;)

BabyBrownEyes
05-18-2007, 08:38 AM
2.5 miles this morning!:)

I am editing this because I looked on my pedometer and I actually went 3.5 miles this morning!! yaya!

Hopefully it will be another 3.5 tonight.

adaem
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
2 miles today!

My eating has been much better today. I went to the store and bought a bunch of fresh veggies. I didn't even realize that I was out. That makes a huge difference. It is 2pm and I still have just over 600 calories.

BabyBrownEyes
05-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I did 2 more miles tonight for a total of 5.5 miles today!! :) yay.. Good luck everyone! Get that exercise in!

BabyBrownEyes
05-19-2007, 11:34 AM
2 more miles this morning :)

Where is everyone? Taking the weekend off? ;)

adaem
05-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I take Sat. & Sun. off. Sitting on my patio sweating has to count for something right?

As of this morning I am down a total of 5 lbs (since April 1) Slow and steady wins the race!!:carrot:

BabyBrownEyes
05-19-2007, 11:14 PM
3.5 more miles tonight for a total of 5.5 for the day. :) a two day total of....*drum roll*

11 miles!!

BabyBrownEyes
05-20-2007, 05:27 PM
4 More miles this afternoon!

BabyBrownEyes
05-21-2007, 08:38 AM
2 miles last night to make my total for yesterday 6 miles and a 3 day total of 17 miles :) Good luck for the week guys!

adaem
05-21-2007, 09:23 AM
2.5 miles this morning.

BabyBrownEyes
05-21-2007, 11:03 AM
3 miles this morning.

BabyBrownEyes
05-22-2007, 08:50 AM
2.5 miles last night and 3 more miles this morning :carrot:

adaem
05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
30 min. toning. I might try and take a walk with my kids later today. (probably about 1 mile.)

BabyBrownEyes
05-23-2007, 01:16 PM
3.5 miles this morning :cool:

I don't know about you guys, but the weather here in Michigan is just GORGEOUS today.

adaem
05-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I didn't get my walk in this morning. I was up quite a bit with my daughter last night so I overslept. I was going to take the kids out for a walk after my oldest got home from pre-school but now it is raining and windy. :( Oh well, I will just have to make it up on Sat.

charolastra00
05-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Question- are all of you on treadmills or do you have pedometers to tell you how far you're walking? I don't have either and want to keep track of how far I'm walking rather than how long- because saying you walked a mile sounds much better than that you walked half an hour!

About how long does it take to walk a mile if you're moving at a decent pace? Not speed walking but not strolling either?

BabyBrownEyes
05-24-2007, 09:24 AM
It really depends on your stride and pace....that's why I got a pedometer that was $12. It just does the basics and measures miles or calories burned...but hey it works! :) I actually think opposite you because I'd rather say that I walked 1 hour 30 min, than 4 miles. I don't know. I guess i don't see 4 miles as being that far even though I KNOW it is.

Usually in a half hour I go 1.5 miles.

adaem
05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
I have a tredmil and for me 20 min is 1 mile. That is at a good pace. Walking fast enough that having a conversation would be difficult and I work up a good sweat.

30 min. toning today! I will have to make up not walking yesterday on Sat. morning. If I don't do it in the AM I just wont do it. I wanted to take afternoon walks this week but it has been rainy. Memorial weekend in MN always rains:( .

adaem
05-25-2007, 09:29 AM
3 miles today!:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I will also be mowing the lawn today (all this rain means extra excersize for me :D )

See you all tomorrow (if I remember not to take the day off :^: )

Have a fun and safe Holiday weekend.

BabyBrownEyes
05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
7 miles yesterday! And I'm off for my morning miles right now. :)

BabyBrownEyes
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
5 more miles for this morning :)

adaem
05-29-2007, 03:56 PM
30 min. toning this morning.

I had a horrible night sleep and really didn't want to but I did it!! I figured I didn't walk at all this weekend :( so no matter how sleepy I was I had to just do it!!

adaem
05-30-2007, 05:07 PM
2 miles this morning.

Hope everyone is doing good this week. See you all in the morning.

CrimsonClover
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
i did 2 miles yesteday and mowed the grass today

and i sweated like nobodies business

adaem
05-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, I didn't walk or do my toning DVD today :( . I have been having some really bad nights lately and haven't been sleeping well. Between the kids and the dogs I haven't had a good night sleep in about a week. However, I weed whipped my yard and mowed today. I don't know what that counts for but at least it was something ;) .

BabyBrownEyes
05-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Oh Adaem! Mowing is considered medium intensity. :) It's great exercise..I did the same thing today...was mowing for about 2 hours and that was JUST the trim!!! we have 10 acres. AHHH!!!!

I've also done 10 miles between yesterday and today. Keep it going guys!!! :)

adaem
06-01-2007, 04:24 PM
2.38 miles today!

Have a good weekend everyone!

adaem
06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
2 miles this morning and the kids and I are going to the park today and I can maybe get in another mile.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

adaem
06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
1 more mile today at the park.