General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #1  
Liz

S/C/G: 307/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default I hate my job...

I didn't know where else to post this, but I need some sympathy, please. I hate my job. I want to be a SAHM. I think we make enough money for me to stay home. DH makes 3 times what I do. I feel like I would have more time to work out, clean my house, focus on me. I think we'd have more family time.

I'm an insurance agent, but I work under another agent. I lost my job that I worked at for the past 6 years in January. I wasn't overly happy there. In febuary I started working for a new insurance agent, and I absolutley hate it! The only other employee is the agent's daughter. So of course she does whatever she wants (3 hour lunch on Wednesday, I was at the office all by myself). My boss is very slow. Everything takes for ever. They are really nice people, but I'm miserable. I'm not used to this slow paced environment, and this young girl is so immature, she's driving me crazy. My favorite is when she and her dad start fighting.

I'm too scared to quit. I've never not worked. When I lost my Job in January. I was hired for this one the next day. I took 2 weeks off in-between. Any advise from people who used to work, but stay home now??
Old 04-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not a SAHM (not a mom at all, actually), but what about finding something to do from home? Especially in insurance, I would think you could find a telecommuting position (I know I've seen some advertised on sites like Monster, but I'm not sure exactly what you do, so maybe I'm seeing something else). Or just do something more fun--become a Pampered Chef party consultant or something (and then you could earn free cookware for some healthy yummies ). With that, you can set your own schedule by only scheduling parties when you want to have them.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't work at home so I don't have any advice there.

What I would look as is what are your advantages to not working?
- Would you save on child care costs?
- More time with your child(ren)?
- More time to do something you've wanted to do?
- Less stress from your current job? (Although you could try to find another)

What would be the disadvantages of not working?
- Financial goals setback?
- Having to stay at home every day? (Although you could make the effort to get out of the house)
- Taking yourself out of the workforce?

Basically, I'd try listing out your advantages and disadvantages and weigh them. You could try staying home for a short while and see how well it works. You could also use the time to try a career change or even find a job you like.

If you are worried about your finances (which you don't seem to be), then map out your budget using your hubbys salary and see how they look.

I wouldn't really view not working as the end of the world especially since you hate your job and you could find another one.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/200/115

Smile

Hey there,

I work for Continental Airlines and they're hiring remote agents if you want to give that a try. The pay isn't all that great by any stretch of the imagination but you get great flight benefits

It's a fun job.. especially when all you have to do is wake up and start taking calls from your own home.. it would allow you more time to focus on yourself.

If interested, you can apply at Continental*dot*com

I'm not a remote agent but I'm a support agent at our office and when I get remote agents I always ask them how they're liking it and I have never gotten a negative reply.

- Joselyn
Old 04-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/238/150

Height: 5'3''

Can I be a SAHM? NO husband, NO children, and I live alone. I have two cats that would love for me to stay at home.

Some things that you could look are are medical coding or transcriptioning jobs. Most VoTechs have certifications for them. And you can work from home.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #6  
Liz

Thanks for all the advice. You guys made me feel much better. And Soglam, I'm off to go apply. You guys are the best.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #7  

Looks like I'm the first SAHM to answer you

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I LOVE being home with my kids, have been for almost eight years. But I have worked part-time nights for the 4 years between kids, so I can be with them during the day and now for the past 4 years I've done medical transcription at home. I just can't not work. It's not for the money (not that we don't use it ) but I think for my sanity. I have to work for me!! If you can, take the time off to find something you really love. I think the job you have just isn't the right fit for you. Change fields, take up a new skill. I used to work in politics and do fund raising, etc. I just found after kids this wasn't a good "fit" anymore. Maybe you would be comfortable moving your career in another direction?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #8  

I got let go (RIF) from an insurance company after working there 10yrs and I got a customer service job for a clothing manufacturer (phones) shortly after. I hated the new job, it wasn't a good fit for me but I felt guilty and a little scared to quit (silly-I know). After being there for 2 months I finally psyched myself up and told the manager that I couldn't stay. I walked out of that building feeling so empowered and wondering why I was so scared to leave if I was unhappy (never again). If you are not happy and have the option to stay at home go for it. You can explore something you may be more interested in doing or perhaps you can just enjoy being a mom (CEO of the family) which is the greatest job there is. - much luck
Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #9  
Liz

Thanks, girls. I was feeling so down and depressed and you guys gave me some much needed confidence. I have a bachelors from LSU in communications, so I'm not stupid or anything. I just don't have any passion for what I'm doing. I'm one of those people who is OK at everything, but not outstanding at anyone thing. I want to have passion for my job. I have passion for my family. I love to be creative and paint, scrapbook, decorate.. I just feel like I'm surrounded by bad energy all the time, and I'm starting to wonder if it's me. Am I an unhappy person or is the job making me unhappy?
Anyone know what I mean?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdensmom View Post
I love to be creative and paint, scrapbook, decorate..
How about a home party sales business like Stampin' Up! I think even Crayola has a home sales business now that is kid-friendly crafty stuff--how fun!

Can you tell I've been thinking about becoming a home party consultant? I could really use an additional part-time income to supplement my full-time job, so I'm thinking about it...
Old 04-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #11  
Liz

I was a stampin up consultant before. It've been thiking about doing it again.. It is fun. Thanks so much for all the support girls...
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #12  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I am very lucky to be a SAHM of two boys{3 and 5}. I worked in Medical Records for a clinic for a while and then at my Mom's floral shop, then I had my first son. I would still help my Mom out occasionally on holiday's{she ended up selling so i didn't help for that long} but I loved that I could be home with my kids. i was really worried when I first got pregnant about quitting my job. We had disscussed me staying at home with the kids but I didn't know it would happen so soon. I was worried how it would all work out financially, but it all worked out. My husband is a self employed painter so he makes pretty good money. We are able to take 2 vacations a year and our oldest son plays sports. You should look at your finances and maybe just try it for a couple of months or so. If you find it's not for you, look for a better job!! My passion is cake decorating which I do in my spare time for a little extra money{my play money}. You could do your crafty things you like to do and possibly set up at some festivals and so forth for some extra income. Remember life is too short to not love what you do. I would hate for you to always wonder what if. Good Luck!!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #13  
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendansmum View Post
I am very lucky to be a SAHM of two boys{3 and 5}.Remember life is too short to not love what you do. I would hate for you to always wonder what if. Good Luck!!

That's exactly how I feel!!! Thanks so much for putting it into words for me.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #14  

I just stumbled onto these posts. I was wondering what is meant by "not good money" working at home for continental? Is it worth doing parttime?
Closed Thread