General Diet Plans and Questions - WW Personal Selection Plan Anyone?

Tired of being fat
01-10-2001, 08:26 PM
On the WW Personal Selection plan, I was able to lose weight and I'd like to try again. Anyone interested in joining me? Here is the food breakdown that I used to follow:
3-5 protein
4-6 bread
3 fat
2 fruit
3 or more veggies
2- Milk
700 calories per week
14 personal selections per week
Have I left anything out?
The first week was Quick Start and I lost 6 pounds. I can't remember it too well now but I know I followed the book exactly-and ate whatever the breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack suggestions were in the book every day. I don't have that info. anymore so I don't know the Quickstart options anymore. I'm not as disciplined anymore either so Quickstart for a week probably wouldn't work for me anyway.

mom10
01-13-2001, 09:47 AM
I am new to this bulletin board. I would like to join you on the WW Personal Selection Diet. I too was on it several years ago and had very good success with it.

Tired of being fat
01-14-2001, 04:05 AM
What plan are you following. Mine is:
4-6 breads
3-5 proteins
3 fats
2 fruits
3 or more veggies
2 milk

700 optional calories/week
14 personal selections/week

Shall we check in 2 (or more) a week for a discussion of how we're doing and a weight check?

Riddle
01-14-2001, 06:35 AM
What is the Personal Plan? I'm researching Weight Watchers and other healthier eating plans....but I need information.

Thanks.
Riddle

mom10
01-14-2001, 09:07 PM
I am using the same plan as you. I am starting today! I made out a chart to write down what I eat and to mark it off at the bottom as that seems to help me a lot. I joined TOPS a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had much luck with out something to follow. It is only 25 cents a week, much cheaper than WW and I do well if I get weighed weekly. Weighing at home, I find myself on the scale all of the time and I get discouraged if I don't see results. Many times I want better results than is possible and I get discouraged. I really feel that this is a very good and healthy eating plan. I really need to gain some control.
I get weighed on Tues. evenings so I will check in with you and let you know how I did. How about checking in on Friday or Sat. to help with the week-end? Let me know what works for you?
How much do you want to lose?

sweetsurrender
01-15-2001, 04:20 AM
Riddle,
The Personal Selection Plan is an older version of Weight Watchers that's very similar to the American Dietetic Association's exchange program. Some were very successful on it, and others weren't.

For that reason, Weight Watchers created the 1-2-3 Success plan. Under 1-2-3, each food is assigned a "POINTS" value, based on the amount of calories, fiber, and fat the food contains. The idea is that each person needs a certain amount of POINTS to lose weight. Foods like vegetables and fruits are either free, meaning they have 0 points, or low points (1-2 points), so that you can eat more of them and fill up. 1-2-3 Success offers more freedom than the Personal Selection plan, which most people like.

Scroll down to the WW section of the 3FC board to get a better idea of what WW is all about!

Kendra
198/193/140

Spiritled
01-15-2001, 08:39 AM
Is this the same Tired of being fat that is on the Richard Simmons message board? Which is working best for you? Weight Watchers or Richard Simmons?

Tired of being fat
01-15-2001, 07:43 PM
Yes this is the same one and I'm doing them together. I think both programs are very similar so I've upped my calorie card to 1600 calories which gives me exchanges of everything to follow the WW personal selection plan.
I've just started today as I had been trying to give 123 a try.

Tired of being fat
01-15-2001, 07:44 PM
I weight myself Tuesday mornings so maybe Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning we could posts our weight and losses/gains and provide some kind of support/encouragement to each other once the weights are posted. A friday checkin would be good also.

Tired of being fat
01-15-2001, 07:50 PM
mom10,
Do you remember how the PS plan started? I can recall that we were given a certain number of exchanges during the 1st 2 weeks and then those exchanges were reduced but we were then given personal selections and optional calories. Do you remember this or am I making this up?

mom10
01-16-2001, 07:44 AM
Tired Of Being Fat,
I do remember that, but I'm not sure what it was. I think it was pretty close to the basic plan without the personal selections or the optional calories. I just started out with the basic plan plus the personal selections and optional calories because I am really out of control and that will be hard enough for me. I am 5'4" and at WW they had me down to weigh between 114-134. Believe me if I got down to 134 that would be more than I could ever hope for. Right now I have a tad more than 50 pounds to lose, so I am going to be working at this for quite a long time.

Tired of being fat
01-16-2001, 07:52 PM
I'm posting my weigh in result:

Starting Weight- 188
Today's Weigh-In- 186.5
Goal Weight- 150

mom10
01-17-2001, 08:20 AM
I'm posting my weigh in results.

Starting weight 189
Todays weight 184 1/2
I am so excited, I lost 4 1/2 pounds

It sounds like we are very close!! Have a great week and I will check back in a few days if not sooner.

mom10
01-20-2001, 02:28 AM
Tired Of Being Fat,
How is your week going? I am on track, not perfect, but in control. I don't have any plans this weekend that are going to make it extra hard so I am hoping that all will go well. Have a good weekend. I am pulling for you!!

Tired of being fat
01-21-2001, 12:48 AM
Hi mom10,
Its taking me awhile to get back into the seing of things but I am trying. I have seemed to be able to cut my snacking down a lot during the week. The weekend is a different story. I have been keeping track of my selections using the Richard Simmons Foodmover and allowing myself if necessary 3 personal selections a day. I haven't used the 100 calories.
Thanks for the support. Good luck to you too. What is your goal weight?

Musicgal
01-21-2001, 08:53 PM
I would like to join you, too. I also visit the Richard Simmons section here (which I haven't done in a week but will after this) and doing the food mover because I was very successful with the WW selection plan years ago and Richard's plan is similar. I got a card in the mail from WW to go back but I've tried 1-2-3 success and I just really could not lose weight and keep it off. I think I have this mental block about counting numbers. If I count food, 5 protein, 2 fruit, etc. I do much better. I will report here and let you know how I'm doing.

mom10
01-22-2001, 08:13 AM
Welcome Musicgal,

I am glad that you are joining us! I know that I can use all the help and support that I can get. I will be looking forward to reading your posts.

Tired of being fat,

My weekend didn't go very well. I made these pecan rolls for my family and I did not stay in control! Tommorrow is another day and I am now back on track. I read something the other day about how it isn't one set back that kills you, it is when you give up because of one set back. We will have set backs and it is how we get back on track that keeps us moving in the right direction. My goal weight is also 150. If I could get down to 140-145 that would be great because that would give me a little room to slide if need be. Right now I just need to get below 180. Have a great week!!

Tired of being fat
01-22-2001, 09:41 PM
Welcome musicagal-the more the merrier. I knew there was more than 2 of us who couldn't lose with 123. I also have the Foodmover and am using it to keep track of my selections but I'm following the old plan that I have in my memory.
mom10- We have a lot in common. I'm 5'8 and would like to get to 150 to be happy but really would like to go to 145. My lowest weight on WW was 142 and my lifetime weight was 147.
This weekend was hard for me in that I didn't make the best food choices on Saturday. I went over my selections on Saturday but that's why I allow myself the 100 calories and 3 personal selections as a buffer.

Tired of being fat
01-23-2001, 08:31 PM
Weekly Weigh In
Lost/Gain 0

mom10
01-24-2001, 09:36 PM
Weekly weigh in
Weight 184
loss/gain -1/2

Tired of being fat
01-28-2001, 10:38 PM
I have had an awful week. I seemed to be hungry all the time and ate all the wrong foods. I hope I have that out of my system. Its time to go to the store for some fruits and low fat snacks so that when this happens again I'll be prepared.

mom10
01-31-2001, 08:36 AM
Weekly weigh in
181 1/2
- 2 1/2

Tired of being fat,
Hang in there! When I went back to the TOPS meetings the beginning of Dec., I gained 3 weeks in a row before I started losing. One week I gained 4 1/2. I am just now getting back to the weight where I started. What helped me get back on track was writing down everything I ate and I also took gallon sized baggies and cut up lots of raw vegetables. I made sure that I ate them throughout the day. This helped me to feel full during the first couple of weeks. Don't give up because weight loss is like that!!! Next week I will probably be having a hard time and I will need your help. I know that we are going to have good weeks and bad weeks. More good weeks than bad ones mean weight loss. You can do it!!!!

Tired of being fat
01-31-2001, 07:54 PM
Congratulations, you are doing very well.
I am not having as much success as you. I am still at 186.5 and I'm not sure what the problem is. I think maybe my portion sizes might be too big. I'm not sure what else it could be. I have been using the RS foodmover while following the old WW plan and I have actually limited my servings. Instead of 6 breads I give myself 5. So I have 5 breads, 5 proteins, 2 fruits, 2 dairy, 3 fat, and 3 of more veggies along with 100 optional calories and 2 personal selections. I also exercise but it seems like I weigh the same whether I exercise or not. Some weeks I have done hardly any exercise and I weigh the same as when I do 3-5 days of exercise for 60 minutes. I'm very frustrated right now but I'm going to keep at it. At least I'm not gaining.

djl1001
02-02-2001, 04:37 AM
Tired of being fat and others: I have the old 1994 WW program that included quick start. The programs goes as follows

eat less basic eat more
milk 2 2 2

fat 3 3 3
fruit
veg 3+
protein 3 4 5
bread 4 5 6
ps 7 14 21
opt cal 350 700 700 per week

I also have the food companion if you need to know how to count something. I'll be glad to send it to you. I tried Richard Simmons but found the food mover too much trouble. I prefer to plan my meals in advance and write them in a notebook.When I get up in the morning I know exactly what I can eat and how it is spread through the day. Hope I was of some help.
Donna

djl1001
02-02-2001, 04:40 AM
Sorry, it didn't print the way I typed it and fruit got left off. Fruit is 2 servings for each of the plans.
There are 3 choices eat less. basic and eat more. The numbers after each item correspond to the 3 options. Any questions. post it and I will reply.
Donna

Tired of being fat
02-02-2001, 07:07 AM
Thank you Donna, that was helpful-and I understood how you typed it in. I have been using the foodmover so that I can visually see how many selections I have left but I also write it all down to keep track of it. I have also been following the WW plan but using the Foodmover as a guide.

Tired of being fat
02-02-2001, 07:10 AM
Do you remember how it was determined which plan to follow? Also, could you switch between the plan you followed? Say during the week you follow basic and the weekend you follow eat more for example?

djl1001
02-02-2001, 10:00 PM
Tired of being fat:
Thre was no weight limits for each level. The basic was recommended but you could use less or more if you wish. In answer to your question, yes you can switch back and forth, say you do basic all week and eat more on the week end. The eat more comes out to about 1500 calories, I didn't compute the others.
Donna
PS do you rememeber we had personal messages a couple of weeks ago?

Tired of being fat
02-03-2001, 01:16 AM
Thanks.
Yes I do remember.

mom10
02-03-2001, 08:58 PM
Tired of being fat,

How is your week going? Good luck this weekend, they can be difficult! I will be thinking about you.

Tired of being fat
02-06-2001, 10:54 PM
Today's weigh in- 184.5
Total lost: 3.5lbs

mom10
02-07-2001, 07:10 AM
Todays weigh in 176
Lost 5.5 lbs.

Congratulations! I am so happy to see that you had such a good loss too. I tried extra hard this week. I even had salad bar when we went out for pizza which is way out of character for me. Keep up the good work and hopefully we will both have a good loss next week too.

patredford
02-07-2001, 08:49 PM
Congrats to both of you!!
TOBF - I know from reading some of your previous posts that you have had a hard time trying to lose, so it looks like something is finally working for you, you're starting to see a loss. I bet you are so happy! Keep up the great work http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//smoking.gif
Pat

Tired of being fat
02-07-2001, 09:11 PM
Thanks,
I'm not losing as much as I want nearly as fast as I want but I've been sticking to it. I'm trying to develop patience. 3.5 pounds in more than a month is really not a lot but I'll take it.

Tired of being fat
02-07-2001, 09:13 PM
mom10, you seem to be doing so much better than I am. Maybe you can give me some pointers on what you're doing and exactly what plan you're following. I would love to get out of the 180s- and soon.

Fran M
02-09-2001, 06:20 AM
TObf,
i am glad to hear you are losing. I know the 123 did not work for you but I see the old program is. I really believe that if you stick to any program and not go on and off all the time, you will succeed. You have to keep with it. You're doing great and I wish you success. Remember what works for some does not work for all. hang in there!!

Fran :)

Tired of being fat
02-09-2001, 07:05 AM
Thanks, I am definitely encouraged since I am seeing a decline (as slow as it may be). I'm also frustrated that I'm not losing more or faster but I'm not giving up.

35TOGOAL
02-11-2001, 10:47 AM
Third week of WW (lifetime member) starting over. Trying 123 Point system. Not too much progress so far. Will be going back to the exchange program tomorrow. Got to goal once on exchanges, so it will work again!!!

tnj
02-12-2001, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by mom10:
Welcome Musicgal,

I am glad that you are joining us! I know that I can use all the help and support that I can get. I will be looking forward to reading your posts.

Tired of being fat,

My weekend didn't go very well. I made these pecan rolls for my family and I did not stay in control! Tommorrow is another day and I am now back on track. I read something the other day about how it isn't one set back that kills you, it is when you give up because of one set back. We will have set backs and it is how we get back on track that keeps us moving in the right direction. My goal weight is also 150. If I could get down to 140-145 that would be great because that would give me a little room to slide if need be. Right now I just need to get below 180. Have a great week!!

Do not give up---we are in a lifetime battle in wt loss and being healthy--there's always tomorrw to startagain. Always remember fisrst and foremost to love yourself-tnj

mom10
02-16-2001, 07:37 PM
Weekly weigh in
- 2 1/2

Tired of being fat, where are you? I didn't post on Wed. because I have been out of town. Please don't give up!!! I will get back on later today with some pointers. I will be looking for you!!!!!!

mom10
02-23-2001, 08:01 PM
Weekly weigh in
I have now lost 20 lbs.

Tired of being fat, where are you? If I don't hear from you, I am going to quit posting. I know you can do it, you just have to say YES. Drink LOTS of water or diet soda to help get over the first week or two of feeling unsatisfied. Fill up on raw veg. and stick to your selection plan. If you aren't hungry don't eat. If you have to have the pecan pie or whatever, just have a bite or two and leave the rest. Hang in there!

davebecca
02-26-2001, 06:09 AM
Mom10 - you are awesome. I am toying with going back to the Freedom Plan starting tomorrow. I've tried 123 off and on now since it started and have gained back 3/4 of what I lost. Don't stop posting. Right now, you are my inspiration!!!

Keep up the good work!!! I'm going to get my books out now! Wish me luck

wwgal
02-26-2001, 11:36 PM
I can;t believe there are others that the ww123 program is not working for. I thought i was alone. well I was on the selection plan way back when at lost 30lbs and i don;t seem to have any success on the points plan so starting today i am going to selection plan. and also i thought is was the only one using the richard simmons foodmover to track. I am using the 1400 calorie card because that matches the ww food for me. I think i found my weight loss sisters. I felt so losted on this board because they were all talking about www123 so i am glad i found you guys.

QUESTION: FOR anyone using the food mover to track-- on ww you get up to 250 optional calories and on the foodmover you get the one extra. How do you keep track of the optional calories on the foodmover. ( this is the only thing i was having problems with.)

wwgal
03-01-2001, 09:28 AM
justing moving it up. IS there anyone out there?

well i had a pretty good day today with the freedom plan. I like this much better than the points.

mom10
03-05-2001, 01:45 PM
Hi all,

I am back! I caught a virus and it was terrible!!! I haven't felt that bad in 10 years. Boy am I ever glad to be feeling back to my old self. Last week I didn't post, but I lost -1 1/2. If I am up to it I will go and weigh in tomorrow. I hope everyone else is feeling well.

Sheagatzi
03-06-2001, 12:58 PM
Hi... I read your posts and I LOVED the selection plan. I did really well on it! And then.... well, I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I don't want to go back to WW because I don't like the points system, I've tried it and it is too flexible for me!

I'm going to start at lunch today...

Current weight... 219... goal 179. That's what I was 5 years ago. (I'm 6ft tall)

Check in later,
Andrea

happywisdom
03-06-2001, 02:36 PM
Hi, I would like to join you all. I have not had much success on 123 mainly because I am insulin resistent and cannot eat so many carbs. The old program as you know allows more protein and less carbs. BY THE WAY, I just found the ORIGINAL, ORIGINAL. WW book which has the first program allowing even more protein and less bread, etc. exchanges. If anyonw is interested let me know and I will post it. For now I am going to join your program and give it my best. My stats are 202/202/135. Regards, and keep losing. Happy :)

teach93
03-07-2001, 09:56 AM
I have also recently started using the exchange program, although I up mine just a bit to follow dr recommendations. This is how mine looks:

Protein 8 (I will explain in a minute)
Bread 8
Fat 3
Fruit 3 (and I usually use my extra cals or exchange here)
Veg 2 min.
Milk2

I eat more protein because I have a kidney disease that sucks a lot of my blood proteins out and sends them away through my urine (OK enough of that) My starting weight was 286 and I am now at 281 and struggling to keep all this together.

I think that the exchange plan works for me when the points didn't. I have no real explanation for that, except to say that I got tired of using a slider or calculator to find points. I applaud those who can do it with points.

Elaine

Kelly_S
03-07-2001, 10:11 AM
I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about using selections if they don't want to but I do have a journal page that combines the ease of points with structure of selections. If anyone wants it please e-mail me cowgirl_up_today@hotmail.com

wwgal
03-07-2001, 10:54 AM
Hi everyone,

well i really blew it yesterday but i am going to stay on track today. I am doing the freedom plan from 96 and i really like it. I just find it easier than points.

mom10
03-08-2001, 11:58 AM
WOW, how nice to see so many people joining in! I didn't weigh in on Tuesday because I still wasn't feeling that great. I have upped my selections a bit this past week to help get over this dumb virus, but I'm cutting back again today.
Do most of you go to WW meetings or are you doing this on your own? If you would like, I think it would be nice if everyone told a bit about themselves so we could get to know each other better. I am 42, married and have 10 children aged 18 to 5 months. I'm a stay at home mom and I homeschool my children. I started with the WW Personal Selection Plan on Jan. 16th and have lost from 189 to 168. I am doing it on my own, but go to a TOPS meeting to get weighed in once a week. I don't stay for the meetings but I get weighed in. It only costs 25 cents a week and the weigh- in keeps me accountable. I am 5'4'' and should weigh between 114-134 according to WW, but I am just trying for now to be able to move the scale weight below 150. Everyone have a great week!

teach93
03-08-2001, 08:27 PM
Nice idea to introduce ourselves. I am working on a plan from 1994. I really like it. I up the proteins just a bit to account for the kidney disease. I am a teacher, and am teaching 3rd grade this year. I am very active on the statewide level with 4H and have my own club. My husband and I have a 16 year old daughter who is into show cattle. We travel a lot with that, which makes dieting a challlenge sometimes. I enjoy reading Scottish romances and selling on ebay. I am active in my community and church. Free time-NONE!!!

Nice to meet you all.

Elaine

livingfit426
03-09-2001, 06:11 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm just curious. What exchange plan are you all following? Right now I'm in a rut & I'm considering trying selections for a while. I love all the WW programs they've had in the past. With 123 I tend to go off in the evening. With selections I was successful but that was quite some time ago. I want to lost 20 lbs.

Be back soon :)

wwgal
03-10-2001, 03:06 AM
well i weighted in today and i only lost .2 lbs. well i quess this is
better than gaining. For me this is good because i am a slow
loser and my weight had been going up and down all week.

I quess i never introduced myself
My name is bev i am 34 and i have about 30 lbs to lose. I am going
to meeting but just for the support , I am not doing the points.
I have tryed the points but for me everytime you eat somethign
you have to figure out the points ( i am not good at math so i could
have to get out my point finder everytime i put something in my
mouth and i could get tired of this so i would not track. I just find
the exchange program easier and it helps me eat from all the food
groups like my doctors wants me to. I lost 30lbs 6 years ago on the
exchange program so i know it works and the point system was
not working for me so i thought i would go back to the basics

wwgal
03-10-2001, 04:20 AM
Does anyone remember the ON PRogram TRacker we used years ago to
track our exchanges? DO you remember what year that came out or with
what program we used it for?

thanks for you help

wwgal
03-14-2001, 01:06 AM
How does everyone track/journal while using the exchanges? Is there a site on the internet that
helps you track.

thanks

XxRavenxX
03-15-2001, 10:57 AM
I would like to join you in the excahange plan!!
I was sooo happy to see it posted here and have been watching the post for about a week. I have tried the 123 program and it just didn't appeal to me. About 7 yrs ago I weighted 215lbs. and was a size 22. I followed this plan and was able to get down to 155 lbs. and a size 12. I have been through alot of changes in the last 2.5 years and have recently gained some of that weight back. I now weight 180 lbs. and a tight size 14. I am ready to do this again....I refuse to let myself go again!
Thanks again so much!

homegal
03-15-2001, 01:18 PM
Hello all. I am new to this board and would love to join in on the exchange program. I have tried the 123 ever since it came out and it just gives me "too" much freedom! I make bad choices. I have lost weight on the exchange program in the past. I am leaving for Vegas next week and am starting the "old 1972" version today, for a boost. When I get back I will probably go with the Freedom Plan. I have played around with 123 for years and have not lost anymore than a few pounds and "always" regain it. So, if you don't mind one more for the ride, I will get on the wagon. My stats are:

170 today
125 goal

I will check in later----homegal

POOHBEARFLA
03-17-2001, 09:25 PM
i just found you and i see no post after first of feb. is any one still interseted in loseing i am
shirley

homegal
03-18-2001, 07:59 AM
I am still interested in losing!! I have messed around with the 123 for a long time and it is a good program "but" it leaves me too much room for error. I went back on the old selection plan the a few days ago and have already dropped scale numbers. I am sure there is some water in that but I am doing well. I have wondered where the other posters went. I am going to continue to do the selection plan.

Starting Weight 170
Todays weight 164

Goal...125

MsCLPJ
03-20-2001, 06:22 PM
Hi Everyone, I presently attend WW, but I am at a standstill now. I once lost 35 pounds on the Selection plan and I KNOW it does work (for me). I can only speak for myself, but I know it works for me when nothing else does. It gets me pass plateaus like nothing else can. Do you have a weekly weigh-in? I'm glad to meet all of you. I'm not sure which version I'll be using. I have atleast four different WW selection plans.

homegal
03-21-2001, 12:03 AM
Hi to you! I haven't seen much response on this thread since I decided to do the exchanges. I don't know where everyone went to?? Anyway, I am like you and at a stand still with the 123. I always felt so good on the exchange program. I started it a few days ago and did really well. The last couple of days have been a little tougher but having someone else on the board might help. So, glad to see someone else on board! I'm willing to give it a try!!

Starting Weight...170
Now.....164
Goal.....125

MsCLPJ
03-21-2001, 08:46 AM
HomeGal- It is also good to hear from someone else using the selection plan. I am on my way to my ww meeting, but I wanted to say "Hi!" Let me know which plan you are using. I'll get back to you later on today. ~~Carol J.

wwgal
03-21-2001, 04:10 PM
Hi

I am also using the exchange plan. I think it is easier than the points. Which plan is
everyone using ? I am using the plan from 1996 ( the freedom plan).

MsCLPJ
03-21-2001, 06:03 PM
I am also using the Freedom Plan. I am so glad I didn't throw any of the different programs away. I think I'm going to write ww a letter and tell them that it would be nice if they still had the option of using the selection plans for those that want to. It seems to be easier for some of us. I think it is easier for me because it makes me have balanced meals. It makes me eat from all of the food groups each day. I really prefer using the older ww versions. I can only speak for myself, but I have better success using the old plans.
~~~~Carol J.

homegal
03-21-2001, 08:42 PM
Hi ladies! Good to see that there is still some interest in the selection plan. I am also following the freedom plan but I do have the literature for a few different ones. I seem to have good control on the freedom plan and you tend to have a good and wide variety of foods. My problem with the points is it just gives me "too" much freedom!! I know it is "my" fault but I tend to go toward foods that I shouldn't be eating. Too many cakes and cookies and then I have went over my points and get depressed and say, to heck with it! So, I do better and "feel" better on exchanges. I am taking a trip to Las Vegas on Friday until the next Thursday, so I won't be posting until I get back. The fight of the "buffets"!!!!!! I will be doing my best and reporting back when I return. I went shopping for some short outfits today, SCARY!!!! I need to drop some pounds!
So, I will return and hopefully everyone will still be inspired to do this thing called "weight loss"! Good luck to all.

homegal

170/125/164

MsCLPJ
03-22-2001, 06:31 PM
Enjoy your trip and drink plenty water with your food! I know I'll still be here when you get back. I have no other option except this. I'll never give up! Let us know how your trip went when you get back. ~Carol J.

QuilterInVA
03-23-2001, 05:23 PM
I don't see how anyone can say they have followed 123 but they eat too many cookies or too much cake or whatever. If you follow the guidelines, you only have 3 points a day to spend on this junk AND fat. Let's face it, what we eat counts, no matter what program we use...calories do count.

Sally717
03-23-2001, 09:38 PM
I have been doing the personal choice WW program. Very simalar to the one you're doing. I have been on it for 3 weeks and lost 7 #'s so far. It is the one they were doing in late 80's or eary 90's. I lost to my goal and reached my lifetime membership. That was several years and a lot of #'s ago. I need support to reach that goal one more time.

patredford
03-23-2001, 10:48 PM
what happened to Tired Of Being Fat?? She originally posted this thread but I haven't seen her on here at all. I hope she's doing ok!
Also, since I'm wondering :D I am going to start the plan from the early 90's (92,93) which I thought was just the exchange/selction program (I didn't think it had a name!!) but, I am reading about people going on the Freedom Plan and another one, I can't remember right now what it's called, and I am wondering what those are. Are they basically the same as the exchange/selection program?
Pat

jessijo
03-24-2001, 09:44 AM
I'm new to this thread, and must say, personally it was a relief to find so many others for whom 1-2-3 has not worked. Perhaps it's us not letting it work for us..... but I can honestly say that each time I've tried it, I've given it 110% and become so depressed to see the numbers on the scale continue to climb...... so I say this to you, QuilterInVA.... I've read the entire thread, and I don't recall anyone trashing 1-2-3..... if it works for you and thousands of others, fantastic...... all we're saying is we had better results on previous programmes and we're not going to allow a corporate decision derail our personal efforts to get in shape.

thanks for listening
jess

Originally posted by QuilterInVA
I don't see how anyone can say they have followed 123 but they eat too many cookies or too much cake or whatever. If you follow the guidelines, you only have 3 points a day to spend on this junk AND fat. Let's face it, what we eat counts, no matter what program we use...calories do count.

jessijo
03-24-2001, 09:59 AM
ok --- perhaps I should have written this message first..... but anyway.....
I've hit that point (again) where I have got to make this work..... I lost nearly 70lbs on the Freedom Plan (the last one before they switched to 1-2-3) and loved it......

But once I went on 1-2-3, the weight started crawling back onto my hips, thighs and butt! I've tried the 1-2-3 programme a few times since, inlcuding when I was in London, and I can honestly say I gave it my all. Tracked every morsel I ever crammed into my mouth, exercised like a maniac..... and week after week, continued to gain weight......

You can imagine how i wanted to strangle the members who hopped on the scales, squealed when the scales were shoved further and further to the left, that they had been SO BAD THIS WEEK. It wasn't fair.

So I determine that I was a failure and was destined to be fat..... in October last year, I began working out with a fantastic personal trainer..... and while I'm getting fitter and stronger, I'm not getting thinner because I'm not eating properly and not getting in as much cardio as I need.....

He's tried to get me to follow his special diets, but after a week and a half, I declared that I'd rather kill myself than gag down scrambled egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast, broiled chicken and steamed broccoli and tuna and white rice everyday for the rest of my life.......

so, this week, I had my moment..... the one where I realised no one could do this for me but me..... and this morning, I dug out the Freedom Plan (thank god I'm a pack rat) and have set aside time today to plan a week ahead. tomorrow morning, I'll hit the food store to make sure I can't use the excuse that I don't have the right stuff at home..... and I'm going to do this.

Well...... I think I'll get off my soapbox now. I know it was long and ranting, but I needed to get it off my chest and hope that someone who understands where I'm coming from will read it and perhaps let me know that I've got their support.

Thanks
And congrats to all of you who're doing it for yourselves.

jess

MsCLPJ
03-25-2001, 02:08 PM
It is good to meet you on this board. Like I said earlier, I can only speak for (myself), but what works for one person doesn't always work for everybody and that is why I need the structure of the Freedom Plan too because it makes me eat from each food group in a healthy way every day. We are all different people with different bodily responses to different eating plans. If every diet program worked for every person, there wouldn't be any need for all the hundreds of different diets out there. I am happy for the people that have great success on the 123, but for me I do better on exchange plans like the Freedom Plan. It is a matter of personal choice and I choose to use the plan that works best for me. Who can say for sure why a certain diet works and another one doesn't? All I know is when I find something that works for me I like it! How about you? I was so glad to find this thread. I hope we get more positive responses from anyone that can relate to this subject. Nice to meet you and I hope to hear from you again soon. ----Carol J.

jessijo
03-28-2001, 11:14 AM
I've been back to check this thread everyday, but nothing much going on...... gues everyone's busy.
It's my third official day back on the freedom plan, and so far, all's going well. it seems to be working.

well, talk later
jess

Kelly_S
03-28-2001, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by QuilterInVA
I don't see how anyone can say they have followed 123 but they eat
too many cookies or too much cake or whatever. If you follow the
guidelines, you only have 3 points a day to spend on this junk AND
fat. Let's face it, what we eat counts, no matter what program we
use...calories do count.

I beg to differ with you on this. If you follow the "basic" quidelines for heathy eating as broken down by Eating by the Numbers (Complex carbs 6-9 points; Protien 6-8 Points; Fats 2-3 Points; Fruits/Veggies 0-3 Points; and Dairy 4-6 Points) and only eat the minimum number of suggest points even at the lowest point range under the newest version that leaves 5 points to spend as you choose - while you should be spending them wise some choose to spend them foolishly on "cookies or cakes" thus staying OP (and within their points) but may feel the spend too much on those things.

Personally, I spend my 18 points as listed above and that leaves me 9 points (I follow 1-2-3 Success/The 10% Difference with a few add things from Winning Points - but that is a whole other story) to spend as I see fit or on whatever I choose. I usually choose to spend it on a daily "treat." I'm on OP and staying within my points but some will say I spend eat too much "treat" foods.

Maybe that is what you are misunderstanding when they say this. :)

Once again I do have a journal that combines the structure of selections with the ease (for lack of a better term) of points if anyone wants it. My e-mail is cowgirl_up_today@hotmail.com

Polly Esther
04-03-2001, 07:04 AM
First - how do you report the spam in the post above?

Second - I'm a little concerned about your choices here and I'd just like to make one suggestion, if that's alright. If I read this correctly, your goal is to eat 700 cals/day. Is that right?

If it is, could I beg you to go see your doctor? 700 cals is considered starvation mode. Your body hangs onto every ounce of fat it can because it feels like it isn't going to get fed enough to survive. 1200 cals is the minimum people should eat.

Just want to make sure you're healthy when you're slim as well!!!

Take care!! Be Well!!

prettynpink
04-03-2001, 09:39 AM
I've never heard of the on program plan. What were the requirements?

Mini Mony
04-03-2001, 09:58 AM
To report advertisements just click on the little "Report this post to 3FC" link in the offending message.

Take care

MrsJim
04-03-2001, 10:12 AM
Hey you guys, I took out that spammer, also reported to Suzanne as he had already put six postings in different threads on our boards!

If you don't mind, I'm also going to close this thread out here...at three pages it's time to start a new one!

Take care all!