Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #1  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

Question Internal error..need advice

Hi everyone and HELP!

I made big changes to my diet at the beginning of the month, I increased my fiber, protein and calcium. I now eat my 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. I drink at least 8 serving of water every day. I reduced my fat intake the most. My problem is this...I have gained 3 pounds since Sunday...and I believe its all water (my feet swell badly by mid-afternoon) and that fact that the fiber is NOT doing its job! It feels like toxins are building in my body and its showing up as swelling and fever blisters.

How long does it take for the fiber to make you regular? I am eating between 24-30g of fiber daily. I was hoping there were some good suggestions out there to help me past this bump. I really do not want to take a laxative or to try my old remedy of coke and a hershey bar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #2  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Nicki!

Drinking water will HELP remove any of the toxins/excess sodium that may have built up in your system. Give the fiber a chance. You can try apple juice and/or prunes or prune juice to help the fiber do its thing, too. If you ate more cheese you may have added more sodium to your system, and cheese tends to bind some people up. Hold on the laxatives. They are not healthy for you, and foods can do the trick NATURALLY.
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't want to be indelicate, but the addition of so many fresh fruits and vegetables (and tons of other fiber from whole grains) was a shock to my system. It probably took 2 months for everything to settle down. Ulltimately, the change was worth it but it was...uh...rocky in the beginning.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hang in there. You have made some wonderful, wonderful changes and your body needs time to adjust. And adjust it will. We all are different and therefore it will take some longer then others to get used to the new and improved lifestyle. I was very fortunate in that I adjusted rather quickly. Better and healthier and more comfortable days are just around the corner for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Wow, jumping into the pool with both feet!

Yes, it's definitely a shock to the system, most people increase their fiber gradually so that it's not as noticeable or uncomfortable. You may consider reducing your fiber and then upping it a little a day if this is too unpleasant.

Although I haven't tried it, you may want to try a diuretic herbal tea (like dandelion root) for the water retention.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Nicki,

You must be so uncomfortable! On my first week of Southbeach, I had the same thing happen to me. I started eating 1/2 cup of beans or lentils each day and that helped me. Hang in there....it takes a little time for your body to adjust to your new program. For me, it took about a week.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote