Old 04-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #1  
finally ready

S/C/G: 269/269/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Breaking the "all or nothing" mentality?

Specifically, how the heck do you do it?

I know that one of the hardest things for me is accepting that I don't have to be perfect, and have each day look like a precise model for healthy living. I want so much to be normal about food, and let it just BE food, and nothing more - but I also know that when I eat something (even just a little) not so healthy, I tend to think that I've made some grave mistake that renders the day unsalvageable. This is far from normal thinking when it comes to food, and I want very much for it to end.

I once read that throwing in the towel after one bad choice is like breaking a dish, then responding to that by breaking every other dish in the house. It helps to think of it that way, but I still struggle when I actually find myself in this situation. I'm learning that it's very, very tough to break that dieting mindset.....but that's what I want to do more than anything. What finally helped you break that mindset, and what do you do when self-defeating thoughts rear their ugly head?
suejenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

This was a difficult concept for me to. For me, losing weight meant eating PERFECTLY. If it wasn't perfect, if I slipped up, if I ended up going out to dinner without a healthy choice, if I ate birthday cake - whatever, I gave up. Sometimes for just the day "well, this day is blown, I'm going to eat cheesecake" and sometimes long term "this is too hard, I can't do it, I'll never lose weight, I'm going to eat cheesecake every night!"

One of my personal big successes was FINALLY seeing the big picture - this is not a diet, this is my life. Life is messy. Life is complicated. Life involves social situations involving food. Life is cravings. Life is brithday cake. Life goes offplan.

I needed to be able to handle all of life's complications. Big meeting at work with cheese crackers and wine and I nibbled too much? Well, that's not what I planned for the day, but the day is NOT RUINED. Dinner as a guest at a friend's house and everything is dripping with oil and dessert is fudgey cake? Not a dinner I would have cooked for myself, but it was a fun social situatin and the food was delicious - the day is NOT RUINED.

One meal didn't make me heavy. I was heavy because I ate poorly and made food decisions multiple times a day, every day. I was heavy because I started every day with a venti caramel latte with whip and a 500 calorie muffin. I was heavy because I ate pizza for lunch. I was heavy because I ate M&Ms out of the snack machine every single day at work. I was heavy because I grabbed Taco Bell on the way home. I was heavy because a serving of Girl Scout cookies was a sleeve.

I was NOT heavy because I had one nice dinner at a restaurant with a glass of red wine an entree and I split a dessert with two other people.

I was NOT heavy because I ate 3 handfuls of cashews out of the can in one day.

I was NOT heavy because I ate at a restaurant and I'm not sure of the exact calorie content of the meal.

The most important thing I could do for myself was to FORGIVE myself for eating offplan (maybe I would look at my actions and try to figure out why I did it and maybe work to prevent it from happening in the future) and get RIGHT back on plan at the next opportunity.

I have been in maintenance for 2 years and these "real life food wobbles" happen 3-5 times a week. I sometimes fret about it, but I MOVE ON. I am still at my maintenance weight because I get right back on track, usually the next meal is planned and waiting for me and it makes it convenient to easily slide back into my healthy routine.

I don't know if I let food "be food" - I'm probably more obsessed about food/eating/weight than a big portion of the population, but I no longer let it make me miserable. I am not a failure if I eat out of the sample dishes at Whole Foods (mmm chocolate truffled covered walnuts). I am a human being, wired to crave delicious sugars/fats and I exist in a modern food-centric society. I do the best I can and I forgive myself and I don't let minor setbacks derail my progress!

Last edited by Glory87; 04-26-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I too struggle with all or nothing thinking. Not just with my weight & eating but other things too like cleaning house. I have been trying to stop thinking in the "this week is ruined - I'll start again on Monday" & instead restart my committment each day. Baby steps - soon I'll be restarting my committment the next hour.

I'm interested to see the responses.

Glory - I think you had some excellent points. I know I definitely go through periods of making food way more than it is & not being able to enjoy it at all because of that.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard View Post
I too struggle with all or nothing thinking. Not just with my weight & eating but other things too like cleaning house. I have been trying to stop thinking in the "this week is ruined - I'll start again on Monday" & instead restart my committment each day.
Restart your committment each MEAL!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

For me what worked is to faithfully record my food even when it is off plan. I used to have a big dinner out and have no idea about the calorie count so not record it and that usually spiraled into more "not recording"

I make my best most faithful estimate of everything...even if it was a flat out binge, I go back the next day and do the best I can.

For me it gave perspective. Yes it was A LOT. Yes it made me feel ill and icky. But weight wise- what was it? Not really all that significant in the grand scheme of things.

And more importantly it helps me get right back on track instantly. I have been able to halt a binge mid stream by recording what I have done so far.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #6  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Awesome post Glory. Thank you so much for sharing that. It is so good to hear from someone like you who has been so successful!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/169/115

Height: 5'2"

Wow, Glory87 and Ennay - what wonderful posts. Thank you for sharing that perspective with us, it's really valuable and I'm going to remember what you've said, especially Restart your committment each MEAL!.

Thank you :-)
tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm in total agreement. Great posts!!!!

I have a similiar view. I finally figured out that in order for me to lose all the weight, once and for all and then KEEP it off, that this new way of life would have to be a long term commitment - forever in fact. That's a loooong time. So while setting up a plan for myself, yes I did this very methodically, I realized that I was BOUND to have slip ups. There was noooo way that I could be perfect at keeping to a healthy plan 100% of the time. And then it hit me, I don't have to be. There most certainly is room for error. I always say that I didn't get to be 287 lbs by going back for seconds one time too many. No, I got that way by making bad choices - too much quantity of the wrong foods most of the time. So now it was time to reverse it. Make good and healthy choices in normal sized portions most of the time. And every now and then there will be some, well, not so healthy choices and they might not be in normal sized portions. But that's okay. That really is good enough. The key is don't wait to tomorrow or G-d forbid Monday to start anew. Every meal, every snack is an opportunity to eat well. Each meal/snack is totally seperate from the one before, especailly when having gone off track. Another key for me is to exercise even if I've eaten poorly. No, especially if I've eaten poorly.

The bottom line is I look at slip ups as part of the plan. They are inevitable. I've wasted too many days waiting for a Monday to start over again. And then getting to Monday, fall off track and then wait for yet another Monday. Nuh uh. No more. You fall off track - you get right back on. Just like falling off the horse - you must climb right back on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

thank you for the correction - I'm still working on it!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #10  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Height: 5'4"

rockinrobin: thanks for the inspirational post!
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #11  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Great thread. I've struggled with this as well. I've learned from past mistakes that I can't deny myself all the time. Life is too short to not enjoy it, and honestly, most of the food that is bad for us is enjoyable.

You guys made great points about the difference between the bad stuff as an exception instead of a rule. My goal is to eat right 90% of the time. There's still room for occasional cheeseburgers and birthday cakes. But my foundation remains healthy eating.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think like Robin and Glory -- slipups are part of the plan. Part of life.

It also helps to make analogies to other life situations. Like suejenn said to start the thread, if you break one plate, do you break them all? If you forgot to pay one bill, are you bankrupt? If you didn't walk your dog today, will the dog never be walked again?

Seeing how I react in other areas of my life helps me see some of how I have been weird with food and diets in the past...and helps me get back on track...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you to Everyone who posted on this thread. It really helps me to know that others have struggled with perfectionist tendencies with weight loss, too...and many of you have been so successful with this weight loss journey. Lifeguard, I can really relate to your post. This all or nothing thinking is so very apparent in all aspects of my life. This is the first time that I've really "gotten" it.....I can make mistakes, but that doesnt mean I'm a quitter and weak. I don't have to start all over..I can just keep going on the journey I already began!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #14  

Ya know I've long believed that the parallel between folks with anorexia and folks with weight loss issues is very close. Anorexics spend SO much time obsessing over food and I do too. If I eat ONE thing "wrong" I always feel like I'm doomed to stay fat forever and maybe I am - if I believe I can't be more than my last failure.
I have successfully lost 90 lbs on ww and unsucessfully put back 50 of it - but I think often - how did I do it last time? What made THAT time different than this? And I think my answer is simple - being overweight is a disease that can consume us far more than I would have ever believed and every single day, unless I'm willing to give myself a break and start over - and over until I get it right I'll always "suffer" from the illness of obesity.

I love the phrase - one day at a time, fake it til ya make it...
houndlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

This is such a good post. I too have struggled with the all or nothing mind set over the years. Yes...it's so important to realize that one thing off your plan isn't going to make you gain weight...it's the continueing on that does. Yes...heaven forbid tomorrow or Monday.

I think we need to 'shout back ' at those thoughts of tomorrow or Monday. Shout and say...tomorrow or Monday can last for weeks, months, years of overeating.

It's important (and hard) to 'forgive' ourselves when we overeat. Must draw that line in the sand and say.... I won't go there again today.

Thanks again.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote