Weight Loss Support - How long before people noticed your loss?

cbmare
04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
When we went away for boobalah's birthday weekend at the beginning of April, the owner of the B&B remarked that I'd lost weight. To be honest, at that point, I'd only lost about 10 lbs.

My coworkers and boobalah haven't really noticed (or said) anything. I can't complain because they see me everyday and I'm not doing anything rapid.

I had lunch with Linda, my deaf friend that I've posted about, on Saturday. One of the first things she said was that my legs were thinner. I haven't seen her since the first of the year.

I've noticed my clothes fitting differently. :D

So, how long before it dawned on the people you see everyday that you do, indeed, look different?

sharonrr
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
When I was 255 lbs back in 2002. My son who was 14 at the time noticed when I was down to about 225. So about 30 lbs. Now this round I've lost 19and people have noticed.

Lee Ann
04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
i was walking home a few weeks ago (after only losing 10lbs) and this older lady (who i don't even know, but i assume she either knows me from work (i work in a bakery) or she lives in the apartment complex right next to my house) commented on how i looked like i was losing weight. that kinda shocked me due to the fact that i am so big that 10 lbs doesn't really seem to make a difference, but it made me feel good anyway. my grandma who i see every other week noticed, but no one in my immediately family has said anything.

ennay
04-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Most of the people I see on a daily basis didnt meet me until I was already a little pregnant (and I gained something like 12 lbs in the first trimester), then I was pregnant and huge and then I lost the weight pretty quickly so most of them noticed when I started getting close to my prepreg weight they thought I was thinner than before pg.

Last night I met with my running team - most of whom I havent seen since before getting pg. and they noticed that I seemed thinner than when they last saw me--which was about 10-12 lbs lighter, but a much fitter 10 lbs, plus my body shape has changed a lot so legs, hips, etc look smaller.

BlueToBlue
04-25-2007, 02:58 PM
It's hard to compare this in terms of pounds because it all depends on how much you weigh to start with. A 10 lb loss won't be as noticable on a 250 lb person as it is on a 150 lb person. I could see a visible difference in how I looked when I had lost even just 3% of my total body weight (which was 5 lbs for me). I even had a few friends comment on it, but they were all friends who 1) are super supportive and have struggled with their weight themselves, so they know how to be supportive of someone who is trying to lose weight and 2) knew that I was trying to lose weight. My family, who had not seen me for a year, did not notice any difference (or at least didn't say anything about it), even after I told them I was trying to lose weight. My Dad, who for years kept asking me if I'd lost weight when I'd actually gained, somehow didn't notice any loss. I swear, it's like the man is half-blind.

People really started noticing when I has lost 13% of my overall weight (20 lbs). At that point, people that didn't know I was trying to lose weight began commenting on it. But even now that I have lost 20% (30 lbs) of my overall weight, there are still some people that haven't noticed. Yet, my body and face has change so much there are other people that have trouble recognizing me (my own sister almost didn't recognize me).

Here is what I've found:
Supportive friends that know you are trying to lose weight usually notice first, or at least say they do. These people are smart; they will tell you that they can see that you've lost weight to encourage you, even if they can't see a difference.

Some people are just more observant than others. Some people are observant but are afraid to say anything. This is especially true when you've only lost say 5% to 10% of your overall weight. At this stage, people can see a difference but it's hard to know for sure if the loss is on purpose, if you are just have a good day or in an outfit that makes you look thinner, or if maybe they are remembering you as heavier than you are. It can be awkward to ask someone if they lost weight only to have them say they haven't, so some people might notice at this stage and not say anything. Even now when I've lost 20% of my overall weight, people are still sometimes hesitant to ask me about it.

People who weigh more than you did to begin with seem to notice less. When I was heavier, it seemed like everyone weighed less than me and they all were perfect. Now that I've lost weight, I can see that lots of women that I thought were perfect before have the same weight struggles I do. But when I was heavier, I wouldn't have noticed if they lost weight because they already looked perfect to me.

Some people notice and just don't say anything. My SO is one of those people. He's quick to assure me that I look great if I ask, but he rarely comments on my weight loss spontaneously. He's just not very expressive.

janamonkey
04-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I am almost to 20 lbs and no one but my DH has noticed. Thats okay though- I am very happy wearing a size smaller.

stephyk
04-25-2007, 03:11 PM
2 years ago I was a lot thinner than I am now, and I would walk to work everyday and I often walked past an appartment building. I worked at a pretty popular store in the city I was living and a lady from those appartment buildings would frequent the store. She came in one day and told me that she saw me walking to work everyday and had noticed over the few months that I did walk that I had lost a lot of weight, and I had....

Since then I have moved to another city, got married and gained alot of weight..hahaha...but I am working on losing it again so I get comments like that! It is very encouraging...when people you don't really even know notice that you lose weight...also a little creepy as well:)

sirak
04-25-2007, 03:14 PM
I was somewhat shocked when I went to the Local DQ where DD21 once worked and the assistant manager didn't notice, nor did her friends.
I had lost about 30 when I went to DH's work and no one said anything either- including one guy that we have know for 20 years.
My inlaws have been here for several days: but that's par for the course.
Infact other than DD21's long term BF (and he is always looking for points)- no one has said a word.I was a size 22 and now wearing a 14.
I am thinking I am "Karis the Unapproachable" or something.
I am happy to be wearing a much smaller size, too !

aphil
04-25-2007, 03:40 PM
I usually have to lose about 30 pounds before INLAWS say anything to me...but other people usually start noticing at around 15 pounds or so. :lol:

rockinrobin
04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
122 pounds gone and I'm STILL waiting for someone to notice. Nah, just kidding. I know - it wasn't very funny.

cbmare, it really depends on how much you weigh when you first started. I started at 287 lbs, so I would say it took about 25 lbs off till someone noticed. And then it was just things like, "Wow, you look really good." They weren't exactly sure WHY I was looking better. Now you take 25 lbs off a 150 pound person, I'm sure it would be a WHOLE other matter. You take 5 or 10 off of a 150 lb person and it shows. But not necessarily on a 200lb plus person. When I hit the 30 -35 lb more people started noticing. 50 lbs- everyone started noticing, comments like I was melting away and stuff. 75 or so the compliments really started coming fast and furious - the ones like "What happened to the other half of you" and so on. I just recently had 3 or 4 people who didn't recognize me, mouths hanging open and stuff like that. There is not one person who has not mentioned my weightloss to me, that probably started happening at about 80 lbs gone or so.

modkittn
04-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I've lost 40 pounds over the past year and no one at work has said anything. But I have a co-worker who has lost the same amount in the past 4 months and everyone is giving him compliments! Oh well =( I think the time it takes you to lose it makes a big difference.

JayEll
04-25-2007, 03:54 PM
For me, it was after I was down 15 pounds. I carry most of my weight on my belly, so it took awhile before I started to look thinner. Now people comment a lot.

I also think many people are afraid to comment when someone has lost weight--for all kinds of reasons. Some may not want to sound like they thought you were "fat." Some are afraid of being wrong and insulting someone. Others might think you are losing because of illness and don't want to be rude or nosy.

So, you just never know! Someone in my neighborhood said "Hey skinny" the other day with a smile! And wanted to know how I had done it. You all know how I did it. (a) watching my food intake (b) exercising. What a boring answer! ;)

Jay

clvquilts
04-25-2007, 04:02 PM
It took 30 pounds before people started commenting on my weight loss. It might be because I have a whole wardrobe full of clothes for every size so my clothes always fit and my basic shape didn't change till about 30 pounds.

Now that I'm down 50 pounds, no one believes that I lost that much. It nice to know they've always viewed me as smaller than I was.

Janny O
04-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm down 43 lbs in 5 months and only my DH and 1 coworker has said anything. This really chaps my hide!! I work with mostly men and I think that they view it as some kind of sexual harrassment of sorts to ask about weight loss or to say that you're looking better.
One of these days.......

yogachick30
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I am quite happy that this thread was started. I feel like in the past few weeks I have at least lost about 5-8lbs (starting weight- 150lbs, current about 143 or so). I don't weight myself but I do feel like my pants in the thigh area are looser, my bras are looser, and maybe just a little bit of a leaner tummy.

No one has said one word. Not any of my co-workers, family, friends; not a peep. I am trying to not let it get me down (it makes me think that this small weight loss is a figment of my imagination). I am just focusing on becoming leaner and healthier every day.

My goal is to loose about another 20lbs and I am fully aware that it will take some time. I hope that I will soon get to the point that it is totally obvious to me (like pants hanging off). Wish me luck!

lilybelle
04-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I started at 234 lbs. and it took losing 30 lbs. before anyone but ME really noticed.

KnitALisa
04-25-2007, 04:30 PM
I just recently had 3 or 4 people who didn't recognize me, mouths hanging open and stuff like that.
I have wonderful, wonderful dreams where that happens. The people are usually high school friends/acquaintences. I really hope it happens to me in real life. Especially if it was one of those choice high school peoples. :)

cbmare
04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I've lost 40 pounds over the past year and no one at work has said anything. But I have a co-worker who has lost the same amount in the past 4 months and everyone is giving him compliments! Oh well =( I think the time it takes you to lose it makes a big difference.

I think you are quite right about it being the time. I'm not upset that people aren't noticing. I just wondered about the rest of you.

I think people notice a rapid weight loss because it is so fast. They also notice when that weight packs back on because it was lost too fast. (I'm not talking about people who lose over 100 lbs. I'm talking about someone who needs to lose less than 50).

What kind of cancer did you survive, if I may ask?

modkittn
04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't care that others don't notice, because I notice and DH notices and that is all that matters :)

mare - i was diagnosed with leukemia last year and luckily am in remission due to medication only. extremely lucky i don't need a bone marrow transplant at the moment. but the medication controls and doesn't cure, so i'm always fighting it. there's always the chance i can come out of remission, so a healthier lifestyle all the way around is what i'm looking for. i started trying to lose the weight before i was diagnosed, and being diagnosed was just a big push for me to keep going in the right, or "downward" haha, direction!

cbmare
04-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't care that others don't notice, because I notice and DH notices and that is all that matters :)

mare - i was diagnosed with leukemia last year and luckily am in remission due to medication only. extremely lucky i don't need a bone marrow transplant at the moment. but the medication controls and doesn't cure, so i'm always fighting it. there's always the chance i can come out of remission, so a healthier lifestyle all the way around is what i'm looking for. i started trying to lose the weight before i was diagnosed, and being diagnosed was just a big push for me to keep going in the right, or "downward" haha, direction!

Oh, Lori, bless your heart. My uncle was diagnosed with it last year. He's 80 and wants to maintain as best he can. He works 3 half days a week. He has never been able to sit still. They are trying some sort of experimental treatment on him. He's willing to be a guinea pig because of his age. He feels that if it helps someone his age, them maybe young people may have a better chance if it is successful.

A little prayer just went up for you.

Thanks for sharing.

wacky droll
04-25-2007, 05:24 PM
i think the people who see you everyday are the ones that take longer to notice whereas somone who doesn't see you everyday will notice immediatley -at about 10 to 15 lbs weight loss -

clvquilts
04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Janny O ~ Wow! you lost 43 lbs in 5 months! It took me 14 months to lose 50 lbs. Your co workers are obviously blind! Just keep looking in the mirror and remind yourself how much you've lost in such a short time.

baffled111
04-25-2007, 06:58 PM
A few years ago, one of my good friends put herself on a diet and started exercising. She never mentioned it, but she slowly lost about 50 pounds. *None* of us noticed until she went away for a couple of weeks. When she came back it finally dawned on us all that she was looking very trim, and compliments abounded. I feel a bit bad about not having noticed sooner! When I put myself on my first diet a few months later, she (and others) noticed after my first 5 pounds (ie, after I'd been dieting one week and had lost some water weight). Some people are more observant than others, I guess, and I would suppose that someone who has struggled with their weight and weight loss would be more tuned in to these things.

At any rate, no one should take it as a sign of not having made any progress if others fail to notice. Most of us are too self-absorbed :)

MariaMaria
04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
I also think many people are afraid to comment when someone has lost weight--for all kinds of reasons. Some may not want to sound like they thought you were "fat." Some are afraid of being wrong and insulting someone.

Heck, there's a thread here about how someone is offended that a salesgirl asked her height and then offered where the petites department was. (Petites fit smaller than misses, not just shorter.)

booklover
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
It took about 20 lbs for ME to notice that my clothes fit better. (Now, having lost more than 35 lbs+, I actually need a belt for some of my old pants.)

However, it took much longer for other people to notice my weightloss. The few people who have commented did not say anything until after I hit the 30 lb mark. And most of the people I see every day still have not noticed. So, I think it's a matter of how much you've lost and how frequently you see someone. Gradual changes associated with weightloss are often hard to detect.

Congratulations on your progress so far, though

NWGal
04-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Indeed, some people are definitely more observant than others.
I must admit that I was a bit sad when no one noticed my weight loss before. Now that I am almost 20 pounds lighter, people started to take notice. It's good to receive compliments from people but there is also a downside, that is, I receive more unwanted attention than before.

abbyin
04-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm losing really slowly, but finally my son's girlfriend asked me a couple of weeks ago it I was losing weight, and my DH says he can really notice. Today I was in the elevator going up to my office and a women (about my age) who works on the same floor got in with me. Now she has been working in the same building about the same amount of time as me (6 Years) and she has REALLY lost some weight. I told her that she looked like she had lost a lot of weight. I was a little nervous saying this to her because you never know if someone has been sick or something. She said that in the last few weeks she had lost about 6 lbs. due to her husband being in the hospital but, she said that before that she had lost 50 lbs. She was very proud of herself (and she should be) :cp: . Then she asked me if I had lost some weight and I told her I had. She said that she thought I had and that I looked good.

It sure makes you feel great, doesn't it ;) although my co-workers haven't said a thing.

Newmala
04-25-2007, 09:05 PM
I've lost 29 pounds and only my mother has noticed. I dont see her that often so she always remembers me from the last time I saw her. It feels good that she noticed though. Also, I thought kids that I went to high school would notice but then I realized that I weighed this much in high school so in the three years they hadn't seen me, they had no idea i even gained a bunch of weight and then lost it. They just remember me how i was, which is the size i am now.

I think that when people you interact with on a daily basis dont notice, its for the simple fact that they see you ever freakin day. I mean, when you see a child at age 4 and not again till age 8....it's a huge difference. But if you are witht that kid everday for that four years, you dont notice that they are growing.

I started getting concerned about why people arent noticing, because it made me feel like maybe i didnt look any different. But then i realized that I dont comment on peoples weight loss either, so maybe no one else does. I dont know....but if YOU can see and you feel better about yourself...thats all that really matters.

redlight
04-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I am almost to 20 lbs and no one but my DH has noticed. Thats okay though- I am very happy wearing a size smaller.

Jana, we have fairly similar stats. Several people noticed when I had lost 15, but I think that was mainly because I lost in my face early on. Most of the last few pounds I gained were in my face as well.

letscnow
04-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Hello Cbmare

re: how long before people notice . .

Just what I needed to hear tonite! We think because the people we are with all the time don't say anything than nothing is happening. I needed to be reminded. I am stuck. Only 2/lb loss. . . . reading your sharing makes it real that I will feel it when I loose 8/more and have a total of 10/lb loss. Thanks for sharing!

MikiG
04-29-2007, 08:46 PM
I lost 50+ lbs in 2004, and the first time someone at work mentioned my weightloss was when I had lost 30 lbs. I work with mostly women who almost all need to lose also. In the last yr or so, I regained a good bit. When I started losing again, the exact same lady again mentioned my loss when once again I had hit the 30 lb mark. I thought that was was kinda funny. She has no idea that she's done that twice..lol Anyway, honestly I think the rest dont mention it because they are always saying how they've got to exercising and eating right yet never do. It's hard to acknowledge someone else's success when you're not having any of your own sometimes.

pinupdreams
04-30-2007, 12:17 AM
even with all the weight i have lost, someone has yet to notice my weight loss.not even with old pictures do i notice any changes.. its depressing but i know at the end of the road i will look back and see a huge difference.

Miss Valentine
04-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I have lost 46 lbs. in 6 months. My DH's family started to comment when I had lost about 30, but today I was told "you are getting little" by one of them and that felt really good. :D

I haven't seen my family since I started dieting. I will be visiting them in three weeks so I hope I shock them a little bit. I'm scared I will see them and they'll think I look the same (I've told them I've lost some weight, but they haven't seen pictures or anything).

twistedhoneydew
04-30-2007, 05:32 PM
The first ten pounds I lost seemed more dramatic than the second, oddly enough...most of the comments I've gotten were around the 10-15 pound mark. A lot of that just has to do with how I carry weight...my waist starts to lose shape between 190 and 200. I almost felt ready to declare "Mission Accomplished!" at 189, because I felt I (basically) had my shape back and I was under 190. Ah, vanity, you do so often successfully deter me from cookies (but not often enough!).

LookingForHope
05-01-2007, 04:25 PM
One friend at work noticed when it was about 15 pounds lost. She is so sweet to encourage me each week! None of the other staff has said anything. I've bought some new clothes too but not a word. Oh well, my clothes fit so much better already and hubby and son are proud of me! :)

rachinma
05-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I lost about 5-10lbs and a woman at work said something. I was shocked! I'm new here (about 2 months), so she's only known me at my heavy weight. I was in the kitchen preparing lunch (lentils & veggies) and she said, "Are you on a diet? You look like you've lost about 10lbs since you started."

Skinny little Asian girl. I wanted to kiss her! :-)

Torister
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Only two friends who hadn't seen me since I started this healthier lifestyle have said anything. Oh well, I feel different and that is pretty awesome. :carrot:

aphil
05-02-2007, 08:30 AM
I lost about 5-10lbs and a woman at work said something. I was shocked! I'm new here (about 2 months), so she's only known me at my heavy weight. I was in the kitchen preparing lunch (lentils & veggies) and she said, "Are you on a diet? You look like you've lost about 10lbs since you started."

Skinny little Asian girl. I wanted to kiss her! :-)

Only two friends who hadn't seen me since I started this healthier lifestyle have said anything. Oh well, I feel different and that is pretty awesome. :carrot:

I wanted to add, that the less your starting weight, the more noticeable a 5-10 pounds loss is. :) If you are over 250, it usually takes more of a loss before people notice it-whereas if you are 140-a 5 pound loss shows up a lot!

cajungal328
05-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Presently, I have lost 24 lbs. Before this, the people I see everyday didn't really say much about it, but they all know I am trying to lose the weight. So when the subject comes up, they tell me I look smaller, but I never know if they are telling the truth, or if they are just saying what I want to hear.

This week I have had two people that I haven't seen in a while tell me I have lost weight, which made me feel really good. One gave me such a wonderful compliment. (Keep in mind that I used to have long hair, always pulled back in a ponytail, and I used to wear glasses and no makeup. Rarely would i fix myself up to look nice. Now, I cut my hair in a cute stylish cut, and I always fix my hair nice, wear contacts and a little eye makeup and lipstick, you know, before I didn't really care about my looks, and now, I try to look nice where I didn't before) She told me, "I don't know what you've done to yourself, but lately, you've gotten really pretty, and I've notice that you've lost weight, too"... Now, I've worked with this girl for 4 years, but lately, we work on different shifts, so we rarely see one another anymore. I never really liked this girl before becuase she's usually nasty and rude... But, even I have to say, that that was probably the nicest compliment I've had in a very long time... And it made me very happy...

redlight
05-03-2007, 03:19 AM
:) That's really sweet of her.

Reddalice
05-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Lmao... people where noticing my weightloss when I was GAINING weight. 0.0 It is an odd occurence. "Britt, have you lost weight..." and I am thinking... Man... I just gained 10lbs thanks for reminding me.