Old 04-25-2007, 02:41 AM   #1  
TeenUser

S/C/G: 238/238/145

Height: 5'5"

Default OH GOODNESS! Where is the will power?

I have such a hard time with a will power with food. I try, but it's like i'm addicted to eating, even when I'm not hungry. Does anyone have an idea to help these situations. I think they are my biggest pit fall when it comes to trying to lose weight.

Any Ideas???
Brianna
Brinana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:37 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8

i was in the same situation that your now in and i would be a hipocrit if i told you it was an easy place to get out of because it wasnt. i had to have a terrible heartbreak related to my weight in order for me to finally realize enough was enough. it was my life that i was wasting..
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/233/137

Height: 5'6"

I am exactly the same - even when I know I am not hungry I sit and stuff my face with food - I think you are right eating can be addictive and we are, unfortunately, addicted to it.

I had to take drastic steps - much like you would if you were trying to stop taking drugs or drinking alcohol. I had to get rid of all "trigger" foods from my house, all chips, chocolate, bread, burgers etc (which was quite wasteful but worth it) and not buy any more because if they are there I cannot help but eat them. I also had to write myself a "food plan" so each day is planned out - I take all my snacks with me to make sure I have no excuse for going off plan. I also don't take cash, only cards, with me unless I know I need cash as I've found having cash to spend on food makes it so easy to buy rubbish that I can't resist - on the other hand if I have to go to the ATM before I can go to McDonald's (or wherever) I tend to manage to avoid going.

I'd love to tell you it is easy and willpower can be magically acquired but sadly I've found that is not the case. However, while it starts out being really hard it gets easier and easier over time - now I'm addicted to losing weight and am quite obsessed with seeing the number on the scale go down rather than eating all the time.

You might also like to consider rewarding yourself with non-food rewards, for example if you don't go off plan for 10 days you will buy yourself a new pair of earrings, if you don't go off plan for 20 days you will buy a new pair of shoes (or if money is an issue plan activities that are fun but inexpensive such as ice skating, going to the cinema (no popcorn!), getting a magazine etc). Another great one is logging on to this site and reading everyone's success stories - it is motivating and distracting and has got me past the urge to binge on many an occasion.

Hang in there - you can do it!
Lillibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Without a doubt Briana finding that willpower and then maintaining it is THE very hardest part about losing the weight. I think most of us here at the 100lb club would agree about that for the most part. But I will tell you this it is possible. I was the worlds worst binge eater. No control at all. I ate whatever I wanted, when I wanted. But then something "clicked" for me. I finally got sick and tired enough of being so darn fat and unhappy. I finally made the decision that no matter what I wasn't going to eat any longer just for the sake of eating. I finally realized that by giving up all the high calorie/high quantity food, I would be giving up nothing really. It is a temporary enjoyment, that I truly was no longer enjoying. And it was doing be more harm then good. It was standing in my way of a better, happier and healthier more active and productive life. So now I look at it as what I am gaining every single time I pass up on the junk. I am gaining a better me. A better life filled with more joy and happiness, oh and a lot more places to shop and way less worries. I can tell you the first 3 weeks were quite difficult. You just must STICK to it any way that you can. Read, write, journal, walk, do a puzzle - ANYthing. Just get through those first few weeks and then it really does become much, much easier. The cravings will practically cease, you will look and feel better and you will see a drop in the scale. All those things will help to motivate you even further and propel you to go on. And like Lillibeth said, you will become more addicted to the weightloss then you ever were the food. You can do this Briana. And when you do, you will be just so happy with yourself. It is so incredibly worth it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-25-2007 at 07:03 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Listen to RockinRobin look at what she has accomplished. Everyone has given you great advice. It does get easier. Get rid of the trigger foods. I find as long as I don't have that first bite of something that makes me want to eat the whole package and I stay satisfied all day I won't binge. Good luck.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibeth View Post
I had to get rid of all "trigger" foods from my house, all chips, chocolate, bread, burgers etc (which was quite wasteful but worth it) and not buy any more because if they are there I cannot help but eat them. I also had to write myself a "food plan" so each day is planned out
Ditto...... plan ahead and remove easy temptation. Hang in there! You can do this!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Robin is a wise woman!! That is what worked for me too ~ GET RID of it.....and after you go a couple of weeks without the junk, your body doesn't crave it anymore. (watch the labels on your foods too, there is a lot of "hidden" crap in processed foods) I truely think it is like a miracle for me - I've been doing my new lifestyle for only 16 weeks, but I have never felt better in my life!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Yep - get rid of it. It does get easier. I can now have some "junk" in my house and not touch it. What amazes me is my kids really don't eat that much of it. So what I used to keep here for "the kids" was really for me. I was the one eating most of it. I was HORRIBLE!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #9  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Yes yes! Get rid of the junk and you will make a HUGE step to a healthier lifestyle.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Brinana, . You can never rely on willpower, only on commitment. Make that commitment to yourself (tell someone, write it down, post it here), and then just do it. As others have said, start with getting rid of the junk food--Lillibeth has some other great ideas.

I have to not necessarily disagree, but I guess diverge from what others have said. Most of the time the cravings are gone, but at other times, I have them. And sometimes I do give in to them. The key for me is to not allow those times when I give in to become the norm. It's one meal or one day, but then I forgive myself and recommit to eating healthy. And I have to do that over and over again, and never let that one meal or day turn into more. I've gone two steps forward and one step back, but that always puts me ahead in the end.

You CAN do this!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #11  
TeenUser

S/C/G: 238/238/145

thank you all for those ideas...that helps
Brinana is offline   Reply With Quote