Weight Loss Support - Old clothes???

View Full Version : Old clothes???

lumifan4ever
04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I was just looking at Glory's pictures and loved the one of her wearing a size 6 inside of her favorite size 18's (I believe they were). Does anyone else plan on keeping a pair of their favorite old pants they used to wear to help remember where you once were?? I think i am going to do that. I did that with a pair of size 3 jeans I wore my senior year of high school, i might as well with the largest size jeans I wore in my adult life.

Just thought this would be interesting.

lilybelle
04-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I kept one pair of my size 20 jeans and one of my 2X t-shirts. I pull these out every once in a while when I'm feeling discouraged. Cheers me right up.

alinnell
04-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Not on your life!!!!

I saved a few things to give to my mother-in-law (she had to hem them, but they fit her just great and most were nice and new). Everything that she did not want went straight to a second-hand store. I don't want the temptation there. I know, its a weird temptation, but I might fall for the "I can over eat a little because if my pants get too tight, I have bigger ones in my closet." It is better for me to know that the size I am is the size I need to be and if the clothes get tight I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong and fix it before needing to go out and buy bigger sizes.

imworthit
04-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I will but im using them at the moment:hug:

mind you after this mornings experiance :( i really dont want to be reminded:(

thanks for all the support by the way:)

Meg
04-24-2007, 01:03 PM
See my avatar photo. ;) I will NEVER part with those pants (and this lovely pink T shirt) (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1310304&postcount=3). :lol:

rockinrobin
04-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I saved a couple of long denim skirts and a few shirts and a jacket or two.I try them on every now and then and it absolutely floors me. I will keep them forever and ever as I reminder of what I once allowed myself to become, because I never want to go there again. It's also great to see just how far I've really come, something that I definitely need to remind myself of every now and then. I tried one of the skirts on 2 weeks ago and my 15 year old 100 lb daughter stepped in it with me - and we had room to spare - lots of it in fact. Yeah, I'm holding on to it.

KnitALisa
04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Does anyone else plan on keeping a pair of their favorite old pants they used to wear to help remember where you once were??
I think I may keep a pair too. Everything else is being donated to my local women's shelter. Some of these women run with only the clothes on their back, so they always need clothes. Especially nicer clothes that they can wear to job interviews, etc. (They can always use children's clothes as well!)

boaterswife
04-24-2007, 02:11 PM
My stuff is all boxed up and tagged for a HUGE garage sale next month. I agree with Allison, I don't want the clothes there as a "backup" if I happen to gain. I need to stay on track....gaining is not an option!

pinupdreams
04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
i think that after im done losing my weight, i am going to never want to see old pictures, old clothes, old nothing again lol. i dont want to have flashbacks or painful memories come back. :^:

aphil
04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I am not keeping all of them for "backup", but I am keeping one pair of jeans as a reminder of how far I have come. :)

ennay
04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I already ditched them and I avoided the camera too, so I dont have anything

rockinrobin
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Oh no, I'm not saving it for "backup" purposes, this much I can tell you. It's the reminder thing. Oh, yeah, and when I go on Oprah I might want to bring it along. She likes stuff like that. ;)

Glory87
04-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I kept one pair of jeans and the skirt, but I got rid of them soon after I took those pictures. It is a ton of fun to put on a pair of jeans and have them fall directly to the ground while still buttoned. I do think the "big jeans pulled to the side" picture is classic, I love it!

pinupdreams
04-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh, yeah, and when I go on Oprah I might want to bring it along. She likes stuff like that. ;)

:D

FrouFrou
04-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I will keep some shirts and use them to sleep in, lol. But other than that I have no intentions of keeping anything that I can't fit into.

Rock Chalk Chick
04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Yup - I recently packed up most of my closet to send to the shelter, and decided to hold on to the ONE pair of "big" jeans that I had - ones that were the only ones that fit and were getting unreasonably snug about 10 pounds ago! I've put them in the bottom drawer of my exercise dresser, with my winter tights and rain gear, so that they're not with the other jeans where I could even consider wearing them again. (And, yeah, the fact that I have a full 4-drawer dresser packed with running gear and cycling gear and tri suits and such is part of WHY I needed to gut my wardrobe!)

It's been so nice since I cleared out my closet - I got rid of not only too-big clothes but also anything that was too small or didn't fit well or was unflattering... if I hadn't worn it or didn't LIKE to wear it, it went out the door! I got rid of all the "I'll wear that again when I lose weight" clothes I'd kept for years, especially when I realized just how out-of-date they'd look when I DO fit into them! I now have a nice compact closet and can get dressed without digging through a pile of sweaters that I'll never wear or pants that are too small or gape at the waist. (I realized I was a cliche when I looked at my packed-to-capacity walk-in closet and thought "I have nothing to wear!")

But, I did hold on to one pair of size-20 "fat jeans" and I may dig out my size-10 prom dress from my parents' house when I reach that point. Nothing else that doesn't fit or flatter will ever be in my wardrobe!

redlight
04-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I gave some of my old clothes to my cousin, who is trying to lose some weight.

ZedAus
04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I kept a couple of pairs of pants (that I had to make myself, as I couldn't buy any large enough) and a shirt, just to 'remember'. Lucky I did, because last year the media were very interested in my story and a number of them wanted to get pics of me in/with my old pants. One newspaper even got some of my students (I teach grade 2/3) to stand in my pants, with three students in each pair, and me sitting in front of them. It made for a very cute picture. The kids certainly got a good laugh out of my old pants!

I have the shirt that I am wearing in my 'before' photo somewhere, but do you think we can find it? I am going to have to do a major search one day, because that would be PROOF that it is ME in the photo. So many people tell me that it just doesn't look like me, and even though I know that they are just complimenting me, I would still like to pull out the shirt to show them.

Zelma

RememberHowToSmile
04-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I haven't got rid of many of my clothing yet but as I'm slowly putting things into my donate box I decided to keep an outfit that I wore when I was at my largest so I can take a similar picture. Then I think I am going to print my before and after pictures and put them in a frame on my wall (or maybe fridge) to reminde myself how far I've come.

Reddalice
04-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Of course! I have a pair of 20-22 wides and a tank top that even only after 30lbs looks like a tent.

Mami
04-25-2007, 06:26 AM
I tried one of the skirts on 2 weeks ago and my 15 year old 100 lb daughter stepped in it with me - and we had room to spare - lots of it in fact. Yeah, I'm holding on to it.

Robin, that must've been so fun having your daughter hop into your old skirt! Gee, sounds like all those Dannon lites and veggies are well worth it. I do like yogurt but I only wish I had your passion for veggies :( ...

Gamerchick
04-25-2007, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't keep my old clothes because a big reason I was comforted in gaining back 90 pounds was because I could just get into my old clothes. I throw out as I go along so I can throw out all the ugly clothes XD

And that way I never get bigger than the biggest pants I have.

rockinrobin
04-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Robin, that must've been so fun having your daughter hop into your old skirt! Gee, sounds like all those Dannon lites and veggies are well worth it. I do like yogurt but I only wish I had your passion for veggies :( ...

Mami, I am so incredibly darn blessed that I love veggies. Who knew? I really don't think there is any way I could have done this without em'. Just wondering Mami, have you tried roasting veggies? They are really, really good that way. And with lots of fresh garlic. And I hope I don't get slammed for this - but I'm talking fresh ones here - not canned or frozen. IMO, that makes all the difference - for me anyway.

JayEll
04-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey rockin'!

I agree that fresh is best--but these days the frozen are soooo much better than they used to be.

(See, no slamming! ;))

Jay

modkittn
04-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Last time I lost all my weight and got to goal I donated all my old clothes. Then I was put on medication that made me gain a lot of that weight back and I had to buy a whole new wardrobe!!! So this time, since I envision a baby in my not-so-distant future, I packed ALL my clothes away in the basement. I'm hoping that I won't need to ever use some of them again, though! I don't want to gain THAT much weight if I ever get pregnant :D

So I have a bunch of my "big" clothes. I also have my "small" clothes from when I lost the weight before, and there is a certain pair of jeans that has been keeping me going lately. I really want to wear those again!

aphil
04-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey rockin'!

I agree that fresh is best--but these days the frozen are soooo much better than they used to be.

(See, no slamming! ;))

Jay

I also prefer fresh, and my second favorite is frozen. I was raised on canned peas/corn/green beans...and never really cared for them. I found out as an adult, that it was because canned veggies are bland and MUSHY...I like my veggies steamed, either fresh or frozen-because they taste more crisp and flavorful. Even the color is so much prettier-so much more bright and vivid, instead of "bleh". :lol:

Mami
04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
What kind of veggies do you roast Robin? I mean, I used to do white potatoes in the same pan as the baking chicken (thus cooking in all that chicken grease); very crispy. Anyway, surely you didn't have this in mind :lol:.

baffled111
04-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Mami, roast all veggies! They're soooo yummy that way. We often do a mix with eggplant, zucchini, carrots, peppers, onion, mushrooms and whole cloves of garlic--just toss them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and throw them in the oven. I'm not a giant veggie-lover myself, but a little olive oil and high oven temps can do them a world of good. They get lovely and carmelized.

I'd wager that veggies with a teaspoon of olive oil is much better than no veggies and no oil :)

aphil
04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes-you don't have to use a lot of oil at all-just a teaspoon or two, and if you are making enough veggies for 4 people, for instance-everyone is getting very little oil. I love roasted greeen peppers and onions myself. :drool:

rockinrobin
04-25-2007, 02:54 PM
What kind of veggies do you roast Robin? I mean, I used to do white potatoes in the same pan as the baking chicken (thus cooking in all that chicken grease); very crispy. Anyway, surely you didn't have this in mind :lol:.

I really like most of em. Right now I'm on a big asparagus, brussel sprouts, string beans kick with chopped fresh garlic. I use cooking spray and a teeny, tiny bit of olive oil. Baffled is right, high temps a little cooking spray and olive oil and they carmalize - they really can't be beat. I also make a lot of stir frys using lots of different veggies and some cut up chicken breast. Also a really, really good method for cooking veggies. Experiment, play around and see what you like best. The effort is really worth it.

clvquilts
04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
A year and a half ago, I made the mistake of giving away all my small clothes. After several years of being on a medication that made me gain weight, I thought I'd NEVER be that small again.

Then 14 months ago, I had a switch in meds and was able to take the 50 pounds off. I've decided to key my clothes for three reasons. The first is based on past experience, if I get rid of them I'll need them again ~ this is the superstious part of me telling me to keep them so I won't need them again. The second is that it is likely I will have to switch meds again at some point in the future and might struggle with my weight because of it. Therefore, I don't want to get rid of good clothes. And finally, I have several formal gowns and semi-formal dresses that can be altered to fit should an occassion come up.

Yesterday, I tried on my biggest pair of pants and I looked like a weight loss commercial model. It was fun!

baffled111
04-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if we were able to organize some sort of 3FC clothing swap, especially for the big losers? There are all those problems with needing clothes of different sizes as you lose weight, but not wanting to actually buy them because one is still losing and will no longer need them in another month. I think a swap board would be a great asset to the community here. Everyone could benefit from everyone else's 'fat' and 'in-between' clothes.

aphil
04-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I just wanted to note, that there is no swapping/selling allowed here at 3FC, due to problems in the past. :)

Honestly-I recommend eBay, and local thrift stores like Goodwill. I have always found a lot of decent, name brand clothes to get me by while I go down in sizes. You just have to "dig" a bit.