Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Default Vegetables

Do tomatoes count?
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #2  

Height: 5.6

I that they are techincally a fruit - but they are treated as a veggetable.

I really hope so - because that is how I count them.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

most folks consider them veggies but because they have seeds botanically they are a fruit.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #4  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

yes they count
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

"Count?" What are you counting? I mean, I'd say they "count" because they are unprocessed, natural, and full of nutrients. Whether they are a fruit or veggie is really here nor there--that they are HEALTHY is the most important bit, isn't it?

I mean, if you want to get really technical and say anything with seeds is a fruit, then that means cucumbers are fruits as well, right? But does it really matter?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Tricia,

It all depends on what plan you are following. On many plans, tomatoes are considered a 'restricted' vegetable. If you are following something like Southbeach where you are trying to keep sugar spikes to a mininum,then you wouldn't want to eat too many tomatoes on a day that you might be eating a lot of fruit. I eat some tomatoes every day because they are so very nutritious, however, I only eat one other piece of fruit a day.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #7  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
If you are following something like Southbeach where you are trying to keep sugar spikes to a mininum,then you wouldn't want to eat too many tomatoes on a day that you might be eating a lot of fruit.
Actually, tomatoes are ok on all three phases of SB. Thank goodness, otherwise I'd never be able to stick to it! I love tomatoes and eat them all the time. We grow them in the summer and I love to go out and eat them right there in the garden. I love tomato juice too, especially the spicy sort! Yummy..
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

It's so weird to me that tomatoes are considered a fruit. I mean, I get it, but it's still strange. I consider fruit this lovely, sweet, delicious thing and tomatoes....well, ick. I've always hated them, except when cooked in a sauce. I can't stand the smell of raw tomatoes either, but my husband LOVES them.

Anyway, they're good for you -- that's pretty well accepted universally. I'm with jillybean -- they "count" because they're a healthy whole food. Just eat them, and be glad you like them!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #9  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

LOL Lisa I don't like tomatoes either, but I love pasta sauce and ketchup. Go figure.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I always hated tomatoes. Loved sauce made FROM tomatoes, loved sun-dried tomatoes, but not the raw stuff. I hated the texture and all those seedy things. But since my lifestyle change I have tried to incorporate them into my diet since they are so healthy. I now slice them and broil them, and eat them topped on chicken breasts or baked fished. Yummy. It tastes just like tomato sauce, but in a less processed state. I just started using them in salads.I remove the seeds and chop them tiny and I am enjoying them alot. Amazing how ones tastes can change.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitALisa View Post
Actually, tomatoes are ok on all three phases of SB. Thank goodness, otherwise I'd never be able to stick to it! I love tomatoes and eat them all the time. We grow them in the summer and I love to go out and eat them right there in the garden. I love tomato juice too, especially the spicy sort! Yummy..
No, I never said they werent allowed on SB. I said to be careful. I know this from personal experience. I have insulin resistance and must limit myself to one fruit a day and one tomato product a day...or my weight loss stalls. The glycemic index for tomatoes is 23. Most vegetables fall under 20 on the index.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #12  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
It's so weird to me that tomatoes are considered a fruit. I mean, I get it, but it's still strange. I consider fruit this lovely, sweet, delicious thing and tomatoes....well, ick. I've always hated them, except when cooked in a sauce. I can't stand the smell of raw tomatoes either, but my husband LOVES them.

Lisa, I had to chuckle....you absolutely read my mind! Fruit should not be something slimy with seeds....
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8

wow i had no idea they were fruit. you do learn something everyday.
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #14  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
No, I never said they weren't allowed on SB. I said to be careful.
Sorry, I misread! That must vary from person to person then, as I've never had a problem with them.

Quote:
wow i had no idea they were fruit. you do learn something everyday.
I remember learning that they weren't a veggie in 6th grade. It was like my whole world changed. We sat there arguing with that poor science teacher for about 1/2 hour.

And all you raw tomato-haters, freaks all of you!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Thanks everyone! My question stemmed from my commitment to eating more vegetables everyday. hahaha I know that they are a nutritious, whole food. I was just wondering if they counted in my vegetable commitment....because I'm so bad at getting in enough!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote