UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/161/130

Height: 5'8

Default Race to size 00...

Did anyone see that show on Channel 4 tonight? Two journalists crashed dieted to try and get to size 00 (UK size 2) and one had to stop on medical advice because she was getting really ill...

You can watch it online apparently: http://www.channel4.com/4od/

But yeah, thoughts on it?

I think it's opened my eyes a little bit, sometimes I get a bit obsessed and think in the same way they did, and I think from now on I'm going to adopt a more sensible approach.

I'm just worried people are going to watch it and use it as 'thinspiration' to justify disorders, etc
ABitOnTheChubbySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #2  

I am an ED survivor. i just dont watch those shows anymore. I lost my period, got into an awful disease, so I could wear a size 0. I am less than 5' though, so I never got an unhealthy weight, but I got there in an unhealthy weight.
People with ED's live in their own ****....
carolva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #3  

Yeah, I think that's partly what the programme was trying to highlight - the effects of extreme dieting.

Hopefully it managed to get across some of the bad effects that it all has, like you mention it's like ****
Old 04-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/236/140

Height: 5'6"

I watched this too it was really quite scary. The one that pulled out at one point I felt she was really happy with what she was doing she was so pleased that there was a gap between her legs when she was standing at the top of the stairs.

I ate a cheese burger roll with onions the other day and to be honest for the first time in my life i felt really guilty about eating it and it made me really unhappy, at that point i suddenly realised how easy it would be for someone to end up with an eating disorder, thankfully I am more strong minded and no that this is not the road to go down but really could understand someone taking this route.
fee2482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #5  
spending time aimlessly

S/C/G: 144/141/132

Height: 5'7

I watched it and I did think it was a bit irresponsible of the program makers to allow Kate to take part. From what she said when she was talking to the psychiatrist it was clear that she'd had hangups about her weight in the past and it was very easy for her to slip into an eating disorder.

I wasn't convinced she was 'fixed' by the end either, she still looked skinny and tense and her protestations that she was fine now just didn't ring true.

The other girl seemed very well adjusted though, thankfully.
piddlingaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #6  
Here we go again...

Height: 5"2

I thought that although the programme did show the downsides of extreme dieting it did also show you how to do it. Not that I watched it for that

And how many of you rushed to the mirror to try out the double-chin thing - I did!! (In case you didn't see it, a model said that if you want the area under your chin to look smaller in photos just put your tongue to the roof of your mouth - you'll have trouble smiling for your picture though!)

At least they showed that within 2 weeks both women automatically put back on half of the weight they'd just lost.
Serena A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM   #7  

Haha, I did the tongue thing too Need to remember that one!

But yeah, I must admit, part of me did consider wanting to swim in freezing cold water...
Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

My thoughts so far (I've downloaded):

The less-freaky woman's boyfriend is going mental! And he's right too!

The freaky woman who went to the health-spa - URGH! Colonics, I could live without seeing her poo thank you very much! She is completely eating disordery to start off with, when she looks through those photos at the beginning - "These are the ones that make you want to stick your fingers down your throat..." Yuh-huh.

I hope that they're both ok after the experiment. I want to see how much more they regain after they've finished. I hope it doesn't cause the normal woman to start dieting.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

OMG!!! "I'm quite the annorexic now "

She should've been pulled after that... Poor poor lady
Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

Oh that was so sad.

I hope the message gets through rather than the "Wahey let's get annorexic now!". That weirdy lass looked like a prime candidate for an eating disorder right from the very beginning though. I'm glad the other lady got her cake!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #11  
Slowly, slowly.

Height: 5'2"

I watched this last night. I was very suprised that they even allowed the 'obsessive' lady to do it (was her name Kate?). She had some strong ED thoughts at the beginning.
They one that completed the challenge was very strong willed not to get pulled into the whole crazy world of it. The last pair of jeans she had on did look good (I'm almost worried about saying that) but it was the way she did it.
They were 5'6 ish in height (I think) so their end weights were in the underweight category (in reference to Slimming World's chart) but or my height (5'2) I would still be in a healthy category.

In conclusion to the programme I can see it doing more damage than good. I was pleased to hear the Dr dismissing the laxative abuse. I hope that gets though to the watchers who do have problems.
I didnt even know size 0 (let alone 00) existed until the Louise Rednap thing.
mum2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #12  

Yeah, she did look good in those small jeans - but I dunno, she didn't seem as thin as someone like Victoria Beckham or Nicole Richie - so she might have got down to that size from being fairly short/having a small frame.

I'm not sure about the girl who completed it, but the other girl was 5'7.5 (I remember cos the weight she got down to is my goal weight, but now I'm not so sure cos I'm a teeny bit taller than her and she got fairly skinny - I don't wanna be a size 6!)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

This http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle1625715.ece is about the "eating disordery" girl. The comments are interesting.

I don't think either of the women looked good. The girl who finished looked emaciated and horrid. That shot of her in the changing rooms, she just looked all angular and peculiar. Then when she was crying at her desk - what skinny horrid shoulders she had.

I'm glad she ate cake and had a good holiday!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #14  

I just saw the beginning but it looked a bit gross so I turned it over!

Always worries me these programmes have the opposite effect to what they intend.

I'd rather they followed a real bulimic/anorexic round with cameras, in all their glory, for a year or two. Show them having all their teeth go manky because of the acid from the constant vomit, and show them throwing up and hiding it - like my bulimic friend who died used to. Show their hair falling out. Some superficial 5 week experiment is never even touching the reality. If young girls saw what my friend went through - they'd be really scared of being bulimic/anorexic.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #15  
Slowly, slowly.

Height: 5'2"

Woo! That woman has problems, how they let her go onto the challenge is beyond me. Poor woman, I do hope she can get the help that she clearly seems to need.
Thanks for posting the articles link.
mum2two is offline   Reply With Quote