LA Weight Loss - Hot Water with Lemon...does it work?

stitchinchick
04-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Here's a question: my counselor at my COD keeps encouraging me to try and drink "hot water with lemon" - I have tried it and while it is okay, unless it TRULY works, then I doubt it's something I'd just do for fun. So the question is:

Hot water with lemon...does it really work??

maryblu
04-22-2007, 01:17 PM
It seems that most agree lemon juice is a mild, natural and safe diuretic. In Fat Flush, which is a stringent, two-week detox, you drink a lot of unsweetened cranberry juice diluted in water, and the juice of half a lemon in one cup of hot water...... if I am holding water weight, which I have only recently started doing (didn't know how lucky I was all those years!) then I will do the lemon juice thing and stay close to the bathroom. I daily drink the unsweetened cranberry juice in my water....it is so good for the bladder. Mary

Repo girl
04-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh yeah, it really works. Major diaretic. If you have eaten something high in salt, for instance, hot lemon water will counter the subequent gain on the scales. The same goes for alcohol, which always makes me gain.

CrimsonClover
04-22-2007, 02:12 PM
hmmm that is interesting... never knew about the lemon

I started drinking plain hot water a few months back ... My husband and in-laws are from England and it seems to be common practice for them

Its nice in cold NY winters to keep warm, get my water in, and keep it to 0 points.

tosha
04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
and I know I am crazy but if I eat something greasy and off plan the hot lemon water settles my tummy. About 2 weeks ago when it SNOWED in Texas I caved and we ordered Pizza Hut meat lovers pan pizza. Wellafter 1 and 1/2 peices my tummy started cramping so bad it brought tears to my eyes. I drank hot lemon water and it helped my tummy and I did not gain any weight I still lost! So after all that rambing yes it works for me I know.

Mama Nicole
04-22-2007, 02:23 PM
yes, it works :)

Oh, and on the drinking hot water plain subject, my Grandpa used to say it was perfect for constipation relief :)

stitchinchick
04-22-2007, 02:46 PM
So, now that we've determined it works: how much would one suggest drinking in a day (that one is holding water weight), and does it count towards my 8 8-oz glasses of water?

JLem311
04-22-2007, 03:17 PM
i always put lemon in my ice water. i don't drink it with hot water. and about a year ago i discovered a product called True Lemon. it's packets of crystallized lemon and they are equivilent to a few tbsp of juice. that way my lemons never go bad and it's cheaper. now they have True Lime too. i always have a box of each on hand to use with my water. i love 'em! here's the website to check it out: www.truelemon.com

fan4u2
04-22-2007, 03:48 PM
HI

I have also just started drinking the lemon water as suggested by all the group here. I stab it with a fork a couple of times( which i find a small stress relief lol) then microwave for a min then cut in half it makes alot of juice that way and i store it for future use. I just stoppped using the lites because of tummy trouble and started drinking the lemon water and the tea from the cod it has reallly helped me. I will find out monday if it helps alot on the scale
:hug: to all that have helped me with this

adaem
04-22-2007, 03:52 PM
This sounds very interesting. I don't mean to push my way into your thread but how much lemon to water? And does it have to be fresh lemon or can it be lemon juice you can buy at the store with warm water?

fan4u2
04-22-2007, 03:58 PM
The lemon juice from the store has alot of sodium in it so I wouldn't use it

maryblu
04-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Good old fashioned Real Lemon juice, the kind that has been around since I was a kid, has no sodium in it. The Fat Flush Diet is pretty extreme, and even that only requires the juice of half a lemon, or a few Tbsp. in one cup of hot water daily......I would be cautious, and not think that more is better, and remember, this is about water weight, it won't actually burn any fat. *darn!

DenverChick
04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Squeeze 1/2 lemon into 8 oz. of hot water. That is the ratio I was given. Drink a couple of times a day.

tosha
04-22-2007, 05:52 PM
the COD told me a whole lemon in 8oz of water.

emmysmom
04-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Funny...I just made my glass of lemon water to flush out the extra sodium I took in today...we made steaks, but marinated them (lots of sodium). I normally put the juice of one whole lemon in 8 oz of water and nuke it for 30 seconds...works like a charm! Of course, I'll see for sure after tomorrow's WI.

Repo girl
04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Hmmm, looks like everyone has a different answer to this one. I use 1/2 a lemon in 16 oz of hot water, then do the same with the other half and hour or two later.

On True Lemon and True Lime- I LOVE these products. Both of them for fantastic for cooking. The lime powder is really great in taco seasoning, homemade salsa, fajitas, carne asada, etc. The lemon is fantastic in hot water or tea, on chicken, fish, and pork chops, and in home made tartar sauce. Last night my 4 year old coughed all night long, despite having her medicine. Finally, I mixed some lemon powder with hot water and honey. She drank it really well, and it coated her throat and stopped the cough. One last idea with the lemon or the lime powder would be to mix it with diet sprite and vodka to make a yummy lemon drop type drink.

emmysmom
04-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Just an FYI...I had the extra sodium and diet soda yesterday (which always causes me to retain water), had my lemon water last evening and was down 1.6 pounds from Friday:carrot: So, yes, the lemon water really does work.

stitchinchick
04-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Okay...here's my question - do you count the water as a "water" or something else? Also, do I have to count the 1/2 lemon I'm using as a fruit?

Kimphin
04-23-2007, 12:24 PM
My COD does not have me count it as anything.

emmysmom
04-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I do not count it as anything either.

meowee
04-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Does it have to be hot? And, if so, why?

emmysmom
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I think...hot/warm water is absorbed by your body easier than cold. But, cold is supposed to raise your metabolism...who knows?

bizlawchik
04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Linda - Not sure of all the science, but I believe it is absorbed better by the body and I think the heat releases some property of the lemon juice? I know you can search the net for a scientific answer, and you could probably search this forum since it's a pretty popular topic. I don't have the WHY, only that it seems to work. :)

meowee
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Well . . . I'm definitely going to try it . . . there are times I collect water like a sponge . . . and it can take days of slugging in so much plain water that I gurgle when I walk to get rid of it. ;) Definitely will be trying hot lemon water . . . thanks, gang. :D

stitchinchick
04-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Just to make sure I'm good on this: I put the water & the lemon in the microwave to heat it, right? Not heat the water and THEN add the lemon...both have to be hot for it to work properly? Because I did ask about doing it with cold water & was told that it did not work the same way as the hot water... Interesting...

bizlawchik
04-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Right. Heating the lemon also releases the oils in the skin.

alloraca
04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
One of my friends started me doing this. Her nutritionist told her to heat 8-10 ounces of water, add juice of half a lemon and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Sorry for barging in but I haven't done this for a while and I thank you for reminding me.:D

smjezzy
04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
One of my friends started me doing this. Her nutritionist told her to heat 8-10 ounces of water, add juice of half a lemon and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Sorry for barging in but I haven't done this for a while and I thank you for reminding me.:D

What is the cayenne for?

alloraca
04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I think it was to raise body temp for a little metabolism boost. I like the little kick it gives the lemon.

bizlawchik
04-23-2007, 02:31 PM
They do that on the Master Cleanse too.

stitchinchick
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
So, wait - I'm supposed to put the ENTIRE half of the lemon in the water - not just squeeze in the juice?? On the cayenne, can you taste it? I'm not a big one for spicy foods, so if you can't taste it, I'll add it; but if I'm going to have smoke coming out of my ears, then perhaps not...

adaem
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry, I have one more question. How often do you drink this and how exactly do you know if you are retaining water. Is that the bloated, crampy feeling I have been having?

Thanks!

meowee
04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi ADAEM . . . :hug:

Now, I realize that it can be different for different people, but for me . . . the first signs of water retention are . . . swollen ankles and swollen fingers together with a completely inexplicable weight gain of 2 or 3 pounds over night.

Once again, for me, the symptoms you describe usually mean a little 'irregularity' problem . . . which can often be resolved with increased fibre and water intake. It can also cause a weight gain, of course, but I don't think of that as being quite so 'inexplicable'.

Sorry but I don't know how many times a day, people are drinking the hot lemon water . . . a couple of posts seemed to be giving me the impression it was just once or twice . . . kind of 'as needed'.

Hope you have a great evening, Chickie . . . :carrot:

bcandace
04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes it does work.....saturday I was up 2.2 because of H2O retention (TOM). I drank the hot water and lemon sunday evening (around 7 or so)....needless to say I was up 3 times that night peeing and the scale was down yesterday 3 lbs....Yeah me!:carrot:

stitchinchick
04-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Ahhh...I miss the days of 3 down...I seem to have settled into a very steady 2 - 2 1/2 pounds down a WEEK...But slow & steady works too, I guess!
Congratulations on your weight loss!

Seagal
04-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Can I get away with adding a packet of splenda?

MomOfThreeTeens
04-25-2007, 09:53 AM
I do Vic, dont see what it can hurt :-)

FitMomEB
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
It seems that most agree lemon juice is a mild, natural and safe diuretic. In Fat Flush, which is a stringent, two-week detox, you drink a lot of unsweetened cranberry juice diluted in water, and the juice of half a lemon in one cup of hot water......

Fat Flush isn't a 2-week detox. It starts with a 2-week detox :)

The hot water with lemon has the purpose to help you "go" - it's the "rinse" after the "scrub" your GI tract gets from the fiber drink first thinkg on awakening. Lemon is a liver tonic, it helps emulsify fats. Warm drinks stimulate perilstasis, the movements in your GI tract that actuall result in bowel movements.

Hot lemon water is a good drink in the morning, but I can't say much about cold lemon water TBH

smjezzy
04-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Fat Flush isn't a 2-week detox. It starts with a 2-week detox :)

The hot water with lemon has the purpose to help you "go" - it's the "rinse" after the "scrub" your GI tract gets from the fiber drink first thinkg on awakening. Lemon is a liver tonic, it helps emulsify fats. Warm drinks stimulate perilstasis, the movements in your GI tract that actuall result in bowel movements.

Hot lemon water is a good drink in the morning, but I can't say much about cold lemon water TBH

OK what's Fat Flush? Sorry, I don't know about all this stuff. Is that something you can do in conjunction with the diet or something entirely different?

bizlawchik
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Shannon - No! Fat flush is a different program altogether.

bcandace
04-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok, I think I am addicted to the hot lemon and water. If I find myself getting into bed to go to sleep and haven't had any that day I get back up. Is this normal :-)

zambejaly5
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
how long does it take for the HLW to take effect. I mean...... if you know you are weighing in on Tuesday morning and you need to flush the extra bloaty-ness.... (yes that is a technical term...........) when is the optimal time to drink the HLW? the night before or hours before on the morning of? and do you get better results out of it if you drink it on a regular baisis, say once or twice a day, or just when you need that extra oomph....