General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Hair removal

I posted a joke in the General Chatter section about wax. I'm not kidding here.

I've got to do something to stop these "stray eyebrows" that keep popping out on my chin. They are hard, stiff creatures. I'm getting tired of the expense of having them professionally waxed monthly. Nair and other stuff like that doesn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm seeing my dr today to have some sort of precancerous growth removed from below my jawbone. I'd like to ask her about something for the "stray eyebrows". I'm not sure what is covered on my formulary either since I don't know the names of most of this stuff.

TIA
Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How many are we talking about? Can you tweeze them? A couple years ago I had laser hair removal and loved it. You could also wax yourself. I used to have a hot wax heater and do my own wax but now I only need to tweeze a few stray hairs.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 161/156/140

Height: 5'10ish

I would just wax them myself, or get them removed with the laser, I think you can get that done at a dermatologist office or by a plastic surgeon. I want to get my bikini area lasered, but it costs too much. How nice would it be to never have to shave it again.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #4  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Good old fashioned soap & razors. There are other unmentionable places that hair grows where it darn well shouldn't. I love the Soleil razors.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

If it was 1 or 2, I'd continue to tweeze. I must pluck 15 - 20 every few days! I have the home wax stuff, but it doesn't get them as well as someone else doing it.

I guess I may have to bite the bullet and look into laser. I wonder how much that costs. If 1 treatment would do it, then I'd be happy to spend several hundred $$ on it. As it is, I'm spending $30/mo for the salon to do it.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

For laser, you generally need a minimum of 6 treatments. The reason being is there are 3 hair growth cycles and they generally like doing each cycle twice. If they are really stubborn, it may take more than 6 treatments.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #7  
hara hachi bu

I tweeze them, but electrolysis is another option.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #8  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

the laser i think is the best option. but bare in mind that if you have light hair it may not work. the light catches on to dark hair on light skin the best. why can science do so many things but fail at hair removal? cripes.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/140

Default Laser!

I highly recommend laser treatments. I've had my bikini area done and the result is amazing! Knowing that I never have to shave there again is wonderful. I have fair skin and my hair colour is medium, so it took more sessions than usual. I had 10 sessions at $100 each, so yes, pricey, but really worth it in the end (this is CDN$). And, I did it over the span of 2 years since I didn't always have the money. I did notice results after the first session, so it may only take you 3-4 sessions with just having 15-20 hairs, plus the sessions would not be that expensive because of the small area.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I once got some electrolysis on my upper lip. It hurt quite a bit and after about 10 minutes, I would be ready to climb the walls. More significantly, it leaves scabs, and if you're not careful with scabs, well, they become scars. I wasn't picking at them, but I was working out daily and intensively, and so the scabs would sweat off. I still have little scars on my upper lip--more than 2 years later. Laser is a much better option. I only did that for a few sessions before I ran out of money, but it does work well. I'd love to finish that one day. I *hate* having a hairy upper lip.

The other thing I'd really like is laser treatment on my face and chest for sun damage. I have tons of little broken red capilliaries and they make my skin, which has always been excellent, look really crummy. I feel like I need to wear foundation every day, and I wouldn't were it not for the broken blood vessels.

Oh, and when I win the lottery--definitely laser hair removal on my armpits and bikini line! I wax those at the moment (as I do my upper lip) and it is quite time consuming and I always wind up with infected little cysts. Yuck!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

it depends on your skin and hair color which works better electrolysis or laser. both can cause scarring if nit done properly. If the hairs are light or grey- or you are darker complected laser isnt as effective.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I lasered my bikini area and upper legs for the first time about 6 weeks ago. No hairs yet! I LOVE it! I bought a package of 6 with a 3 year warranty. I want to be rid of these hairs forever . I'm so happy with the result that I think I'll do my lower legs as well so no more shaving my legs. Period.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I may need to try laser again, I hear it has improved. I tried it maybe ...7 or 8 years ago and had absolutely ZERO hair removal. I had better results with electrolysis but it hurt like heck and took FOREVER and I couldnt take it after about 4 treatments of which maybe 1 cm of my lip was done. Laser hurt too but at least it was fast
Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Ennay, the place where I had my laser gave me a numbing creme which I put on my legs an hour before my appointment. It really didn't hurt much, if at all. It was surprisingly fast to cover my whole bikini area and upper leg. I was amazed and I can't believe my legs are still hair free.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #15  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Gosh, everyone has so many options up here. I mostly use a razor with creme to remove a lot of these hairs, and for certain areas, I just pluck them out myself. I've noticed after a while that certain hairs are no longer coming back, but others still are, so one of these days they'll disappear on me.
Closed Thread