Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Height: 5'6

Post Study shows calories, not carbohydrates, affect weight loss

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070419/...ycemic_load_dc
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - When it comes to losing weight, the number of calories you eat, rather than the type of carbohydrates, may be what matters most, according to a new study.

just a fyi
southernleftylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This was recently posted in the "Weight Loss News" forum of this site.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show....php?p=1657837

Last edited by nelie; 04-19-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added link
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Well!I always suspected that.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I wish they had done the study with a larger group of people...I really dont think 34 people is enough. And, I dont know who was included in the study. I'd like to see a large study with men and women, with various amounts of weight to lose and various ages....including menopausal women! Speaking from experience, I can tell you that I tried numerous diets, and was committed, before finding one that works for me...Southbeach. Of course, my insulin resistance plays a big part in my ability to lose weight easily.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Bottomline is calories in vs. calorie out. But for me personally, in order for me to STAY within my calorie range, really stick to it that is - those calories have got to be the low fat proteins and veggies and fiber with my carbs coming from veggies and the occasional fruit.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #6  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Boy, I've had the exact opposite result. Calorie counting NEVER worked for me, whereas the low carb lifestyle has been very successful.

I was a complete failure at calorie counting. First, it was too difficult to keep track of everything. Second, it frequently made me feel deprived and led to overeating. When I could count calories correctly, I often splurged and then ate less the rest of the day. So, calorie counting always resulted in yo-yo dieting syndrome for me.

One might think that perhaps the low-carb diets help us lose weight because they cut cravings that come with insulin resistance and then lead us to eat less. But I still eat until I am full and never feel deprived on South Beach diet. Can't say the same for calorie counting, no way.

Of course, exercise surely helps. Did the study factor in exercise at all? I could not tell from the article.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #7  
Just Me

Booklover, have you ever counted your calories on South Beach though? Those who do low carb (or slow carb) diets are actually restricting their calories, they just don't realize it as much. So for instance, if you ate the same amount of calories that you eat on South Beach while doing calorie counting, then you would lose the same amount of weight. To you, it appears you are counting carbs (or being careful about carbs) while in reality you are cutting back on calories.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post
Boy, I've had the exact opposite result. Calorie counting NEVER worked for me, whereas the low carb lifestyle has been very successful.

I was a complete failure at calorie counting. First, it was too difficult to keep track of everything. Second, it frequently made me feel deprived and led to overeating. When I could count calories correctly, I often splurged and then ate less the rest of the day. So, calorie counting always resulted in yo-yo dieting syndrome for me.
That's why it's so important that we each find what works for us. Booklover it wasn't that keeping to your calorie allotment didn't work and give you a weightloss. Am I correct? It was that you couldn't STICK to your calorie allotment. So you were having more calories in then out. Hence, the not working part.

That's why it is VITAL that we find something healthy that we can stick to. Cause that's what it's all about, IMO.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #9  

Quote:
Those who do low carb (or slow carb) diets are actually restricting their calories, they just don't realize it as much.
Exactly.

Eliminating most nutritionally weak carbs also eliminates a lot of the calories most Americans consume. Hard to eat horribly when soda, frappamochamegaccinos, bread, pasta, pizza, rice, candy, junk food, cookies, cake are severely limited. Or in other words, how many cups of plain broccoli does it take to get to 1000 calories?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #10  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Nelie, I agree that South Beach probably works as well as it does because it helps you inadvertantly lower your total calories per day. I don't count calories or carb grams on the Southbeach diet - I just follow the guidelines. However, on Southbeach, I can eat a lot of otherwise high-calorie, high-protein food (meat, cheese, nuts) that low calorie dieting simply would not permit. On the other hand, I definitely have increased my veggie and fruit intake, making me feel less hungry, and eating less overall. (Hence less calories.)

For me, I find I must restrict the kinds of food I eat, rather than the total number of calories. For example, when I ate nutrition bars for breakfast (300 cals a piece) I thought I was on track. In reality, I was ingesting 13 g of sugar per bar, making my blood sugar rise and leading me to want more food. Even on days when I resisted the urge to eat more and stayed within my calorie alotment, I always felt deprived and never could stay on the diet for more than a week.

Robin, you are exactly right. Each person has to find the program that works best for her own needs.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post

One might think that perhaps the low-carb diets help us lose weight because they cut cravings that come with insulin resistance and then lead us to eat less. But I still eat until I am full and never feel deprived on South Beach diet. Can't say the same for calorie counting, no way.

Of course, exercise surely helps. Did the study factor in exercise at all? I could not tell from the article.
Hi Booklover,

I agree with most of what you've said. Calorie counting is not very 'user friendly' for me either. However, Southbeach is not a low carb diet. Carbs are encouraged on SB..however, only healthy carbs with a low glycemic index. I eat 3-4 cups of veggies a day, plus oatmeal and, occasionally, fruit.

Nelie, you are right. I'm sure I'm eating a lower amount of calories...but, I dont have to track them (yet!) and that definitely works for me. I can say that I was eating a lower amount of calories on WW, Dr.Phils and Slim Fast...and walking on the treadmill for an hour each day...and still not losing.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #12  
Just Me

Well I should've also really said that the research isn't saying "this diet works just the same as this diet" because there are little nuances but it is saying if someone follow a low/slow carb diet vs following a high carb diet, as long as their calories are the same, they will lose the same. Now that isn't to say that low carb doesn't work better for some because if I ate a high carb diet, I'd feel miserable. I'd be hungry and cranky. While on a lower carb/healthier carb diet, I feel a lot better and have more energy.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

i love calorie counting. it forced me to make better food choices. there are no surprises when i step on the scale. i mean i can literally tell you how much weight ive lost in the past week just by looking at my notes. if i hit a plateau i can look and see whats causing it. i just love the riddle part of it. "if i eat x, i will be hungry again at y, resulting in z calories for the day." but im a nerd. to each their own i suppose
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #14  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

I've always believed in calories in vs. calories out. That's all any diet or new way of eating really is. It's scientifically impossible for it not to be. However, there are different ways of achieving this calorie deficit. Lower carb plans (like SB) may be easier to stick to, which is why some may have success with it over just being able to eat 1500 calories of whatever. When I eat refined carbs, I want MORE which is setting myself up for sabotage. So I follow the principles of SB and similar plans, but I still calorie count because that's what it boils down to.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #15  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I haven't read what this study says because from reading so many different study results in newspaper, magazines and hearing about them on the news I've come to the conclusion that most studies show what the researchers want them to show. IMHO the bottom line the quantity and quality of food you eat vs your activity level. This is a slightly different way of saying calories in vs calories burned. I have tried counting calories and it isn't for me, I prefer to look at the quantity and quality of food rather than nitpick over numbers.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote