General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 05:49 PM   #1  

Default Have you used phentermine?

I'm new here. And today I got my first prescripbtion of Phentermine, I'm taking 30mg in the morning. So far i haven't had any kind of appetite yet today.

Would you share with me your experiences with this drug ? What strength have you taken? Did you get results? Any bad side effect?

thank-you
julie
Old 11-16-2001, 01:44 PM   #2  

Hi, Julie

I have been taking phen. for right at a month now. I don't know about my weight yet because I'm not weighing at home. I'll be weighing at the doctor's office Monday morning. I'm also following the Weight Watcher plan, which my doctor said was a good idea.

I'm taking the 37.5 phen, plain white ones. I have had no side effects except for dry mouth, which actually helps with drinking water! That's it, though. Really helps with my appetite, have to remind myself to eat sometimes. I sometimes get hungry at dinnertime but nothing like before where I wanted to eat the whole house .

Hope that helps some,
Heather
Old 11-16-2001, 09:23 PM   #3  

Heather

thank you for the response, this is my second day on Phen. I'm taking the 30 mg capsule, and I like the results, increased energy and reduced appetite. I had the same experience as you today< I had forgotten to eat! so when I did go to eat I was able to easily control the amount and selecetion of my food. I feel really hopeful.

julie
Old 11-25-2001, 06:41 PM   #4  

Jewel, I have a friend that is taking that and she said she has had a lot of weight loss with it. So stick to it. She lost about 50 lbs all together so maybe that will help you. I think I am going to try it also. How much does it cost you?

littlebear
Old 11-25-2001, 11:03 PM   #5  

Smile

I have been taking phentermine for 3 months.I have lost 27 pounds so far.

It really curbs the appetite.I took 15 mg the first month then switched to 37.5 mg.

I have not had any bad side affects besides occasional dry mouth.

Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey,keep us posted.

silverstar
Old 11-28-2001, 11:09 PM   #6  
LLP

Hi everyone. I took phentermine for 7 months and lost 70 lbs. in 2000. Unfortunately I have a stressful job, and allowed myself to fall off the diet & exercise wagon during a large project...... I have gained 50 lbs back in the past year. I recently returned to the doctor to try the phentermine again, but have had a slow start. I spend a lot of time being upset that I slid so far backwards after I worked so hard.

Does anyone take Fastin (the name brand)? And what color are your generics(phentermine)? It sounds like a strange question, but there is one generic maker that doesn't work as well for me. Anyone else encountered this?

I am excited for those of you having so much success. Keep it up!

LLP
Old 12-07-2001, 08:48 AM   #7  

I took Phentermine (Fastin) 5 1/2 years ago as part of Phen-Fen. Thank goodness, I only took the Fen portion for a short time as I'm sure you're all aware of the side effects of the combination of the two.

I liked the Phentermine a lot and the only side effect I had was a dry mouth. I liked the extra energy and I lost weight on it. Currently, I'm losing weight on WW without using any prescription or herbal solutions.

Michelle
Old 12-12-2001, 09:45 PM   #8  

Smile Phentermine

Hi! I took the the phentermine. It worked awesome. I dropped 25 pounds. The only thing I hated was the cotton mouth. But I have to say that it works. GREAT!!
Old 12-29-2001, 09:41 PM   #9  
The Rockinghorse Gal

S/C/G: 238/230/130

Height: 5'2"

I started phentermine about two weeks ago and am down 8 lbs so far.

It makes me a bit jittery and ill for the first hour after a dose but that soon passes. I essentially have NO appetite at all, and eat when I start to feel the hypoglycemic shakes coming on. Another plus is that a small (very small) portion fills me up so the old stomach has shrunken considerably.

I also discovered that you have to take the med early or you will be staring at the ceiling at 2am.

I have a generic capsule, clear with a yellowish filling--30mg. I have to pay out of pocket becuse myinsurance won't cover it, but luckily I can fill it at Brook's Drug store (a big chain) for $20.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:20 PM   #10  
The Rockinghorse Gal

Just an update--

I'm now down about 15 lbs and am doing well. I do find the med is a bit less effective now because my body has acclimated, but I've also become accustomed to new eating patterns, so am finding it easier to continue with better portion control, etc.

Anyone else out there?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

Default Question

I was just curious if your regular doctor is prescribing the phentermine to you. I am going in for a check-up with my doctor this week and was considering asking him for Meridia. I didn't realize they were still prescribing phentermine. I also took Fastin years ago but not in the combination fen-phen and it really helped. Has anyone has any experience with Meridia, and if you had a choice which one would you ask for?

LJ
Old 02-03-2002, 10:23 AM   #12  

I was just wondering if any of you have ordered from an on-line pharmacy with consultant.

Lisa
Old 02-15-2002, 12:40 PM   #13  
The Rockinghorse Gal

My regular doc did prescribe the phentermine for me--I go in for monthly follow ups, and she has said that she'll keep me on it for about six months before we take a break to maintain and stabilize. Presumably, after a few months off, I could go on another round of it. (I'm assuming I'll still have a lot to lose)

I haven't tried Meridia, but I know its essentially an antidepressant (like Paxil, Prozac, Celexa etc) that works by increasing serotonin levels in the brain (that supresses the appetite, and can help control cravings and binge urges). It helps, but doesn't actually effect any real life changing occurences. I have been on Paxil and Celexa, among other antidepressants, and found that I did intially lose some weight, but that effect wore off and I ended up reagaining plus some. My three main options were Phentermine, Meridia, and Xenocal--I opted for the least offensive (I really don't want "oily "leakage") and incidentally, the least expensive. My insurance co will cover the other two, but not the phentermine, however, phen is about $20/mo and I can handle that out of pocket. (The others are a couple of hundred a month).

I've been on phentermine about two months now, and am down 20 lbs...I still have a long way to go, but overall I'm thrilled with the results so far. I do occasionallly skip a few days of the med and just practice the new eating habits (namely portion control) and seem to do quite well with that, so I'm also working towards an awareness of portions and fullness to maintain when I'm no longer on the medication. (Crucial to long term success)

Kat
212/192/130
Old 02-16-2002, 09:17 AM   #14  

Default couldn't take that

It nearly put me in the hospital with tachycardia. i can't take any of those scrips.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:48 PM   #15  

I lost 35 pounds on phentermine about ten years ago. Had lots of energy, needed very little sleep (no surprises there)! It was like magic. I lost a pound a day for 17 days.

BUT...I've tried it twice since then, with no results. So my advice would be, when you get where you want to be on phentermine, don't let yourself put the weight back on. My doctor told me that it's not unusual for your body to develop a tolerance for it, and that for some people, it will only work once.

Good luck!
dustycrown
Closed Thread