Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default what is your favorite veggie recipe guaranteed to convert veggie haters to lovers?

Do you do something special with vegetables that surprises everyone? Have you ever made a dish that left everyone saying "Wow, I never thought I liked brussels sprouts, but this is delicious!"

Please share your best recipe that is guaranteed to convert a veggie hater to a veggie lover
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Here is an awesome butternut squash recipe. I've only made it once but I've meant to make it again. It is soooo good.

http://www.recipezaar.com/82191
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Suzanne that question sort of reminds me of when I had my parents and sister over for the first time since my "lifestyle" change. I had always made huge, many courses, fattening meals for them. Well of course those days were over for me. I served the first course - Red Lentil Soup, which they loved and didn't stop complimenting me on it - and we get to talking about my new menu and way of eating. So I tell them how much I love and enjoy veggies now and my mom says something like, "I can eat any vegetable except asparagus". (Funny though cause growing up the only veggies she served was canned creamed corn and homemade french fries.) I'm sitting next to my daughter, she's ready to burst out laughing, knowing that I made massive quantities of roasted - asparagus. So I say to mom, "Well then you might just want another serving of that soup, cause we're having asparagus." Of course I was serving chicken and something else that I can't recall as well. Anyway, I had roasted the asparagus with chopped fresh garlic and some sea salt. Naturally mom and everyone else ate it up - it really was exceptional. My mother didn't stop raving about how she's never had asparagus quite like THIS. She wasn't just being polite either. She truly loved it.

I really think most people are unaware how good veggies can be just simply being roasted. Of course fresh ones - NOT from a can. I think many people would be converts if they just tried em' that way.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

That is funny Robin. My ILs are similar in that they never eat veggies unless we are around. When I go visit, I cook lots of veggies and they eat them up. Of course their favorites are the meat and the carby foods but if it wasn't for me, I'm not sure they'd eat veggies.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 AM   #5  
it's always something

That is funny, and what a great example, thanks I believe that everyone that says they hate vegetables just hasn't had them cooked properly. If you grow up on canned potatoes and frozen "mixed vegetables" then you don't have a clue what real vegetables taste like. I've also discovered what roasting can do to veggies, and grilling them outside is truly unforgettable
Nelie, that squash recipe sounds delicious! I'd leave out the green peppers and add spinach. I put spinach in everything, lol.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My boyfriend is the perfect example of this. He always tells me before we met, he had "a vegetable" maybe once a month. Now we are a 6-7 bags of salad a week household. He grew up in a midwestern, meat and potatoes household, so vegetables were presented canned and frozen. It's been a process to get him to try new things and he is still surprised at how a bowl of vegan lentil soup fills him up.

Also, about salads: he doesn't like a lot of "color" in his salads, where I will put everything but the kitchen sink in mine. He finally agreed to try one of "my" salads with chicken.
-baby greens/spinach
-grape tomatoes
-red cabbage
-sunflower sprouts
-artichoke
-grilled chicken and tossed with my own balsamic vinegarette. He absolutely loved it.

I also think that if you have been raised "canned and frozen", real veggies have a very different and surprising flavor and that in itself can take a while to get used to.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #7  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I´ve recently had a sort of potluck at my place and I`ve managed to convert several people to use this salad rather than their mayo soaked versions.

For four servings:

1 large cucumberç
3 md tomatoes
1 sm red onion
2 tbs of parsley
3 tbs of red vinegar
bitty bit of garlic
pepper to taste
1 tsp of cumin
1 half lemon
(optional 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil)

um, chop everything you can except the lemon. Add the stuff, squeeze some lemon juice, cover the pan and shake. Serve right away or chilled (if you have a fridge). It`s by far the easiest salad and it goes really well with your carb. Especially in this heat.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default choking down broccoli

The only veggie I truly don't like is broccoli....now, no one believes me because I serve it twice a week; it is, after all, a wonder food.

Broccoli sprouts are even more nutritious, and I sprout my own, so I would never have to serve broccoli, but my SO and son eat steamed, crisp broccoli, and it is so easy...they eat it plain, but I use a tip I learned in Prevention. I sprinkle Caraway Seeds on it, and it really makes it edible. If anyone else suffers from broccoli deficit disorder..this is as easy as it is effective.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #9