Veggie Challenged - what is your favorite veggie recipe guaranteed to convert veggie haters to lovers?

Suzanne 3FC
04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Do you do something special with vegetables that surprises everyone? Have you ever made a dish that left everyone saying "Wow, I never thought I liked brussels sprouts, but this is delicious!"

Please share your best recipe that is guaranteed to convert a veggie hater to a veggie lover :)

nelie
04-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Here is an awesome butternut squash recipe. I've only made it once but I've meant to make it again. It is soooo good.

http://www.recipezaar.com/82191

rockinrobin
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Suzanne that question sort of reminds me of when I had my parents and sister over for the first time since my "lifestyle" change. I had always made huge, many courses, fattening meals for them. Well of course those days were over for me. I served the first course - Red Lentil Soup, which they loved and didn't stop complimenting me on it - and we get to talking about my new menu and way of eating. So I tell them how much I love and enjoy veggies now and my mom says something like, "I can eat any vegetable except asparagus". (Funny though cause growing up the only veggies she served was canned creamed corn and homemade french fries.) I'm sitting next to my daughter, she's ready to burst out laughing, knowing that I made massive quantities of roasted - asparagus. So I say to mom, "Well then you might just want another serving of that soup, cause we're having asparagus." Of course I was serving chicken and something else that I can't recall as well. Anyway, I had roasted the asparagus with chopped fresh garlic and some sea salt. Naturally mom and everyone else ate it up - it really was exceptional. My mother didn't stop raving about how she's never had asparagus quite like THIS. She wasn't just being polite either. She truly loved it.

I really think most people are unaware how good veggies can be just simply being roasted. Of course fresh ones - NOT from a can. I think many people would be converts if they just tried em' that way.

nelie
04-18-2007, 11:10 PM
That is funny Robin. My ILs are similar in that they never eat veggies unless we are around. When I go visit, I cook lots of veggies and they eat them up. Of course their favorites are the meat and the carby foods but if it wasn't for me, I'm not sure they'd eat veggies.

Suzanne 3FC
04-19-2007, 12:43 AM
That is funny, and what a great example, thanks :) I believe that everyone that says they hate vegetables just hasn't had them cooked properly. If you grow up on canned potatoes and frozen "mixed vegetables" then you don't have a clue what real vegetables taste like. I've also discovered what roasting can do to veggies, and grilling them outside is truly unforgettable :)
Nelie, that squash recipe sounds delicious! I'd leave out the green peppers and add spinach. I put spinach in everything, lol.

junebug41
04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
My boyfriend is the perfect example of this. He always tells me before we met, he had "a vegetable" maybe once a month. Now we are a 6-7 bags of salad a week household. He grew up in a midwestern, meat and potatoes household, so vegetables were presented canned and frozen. It's been a process to get him to try new things and he is still surprised at how a bowl of vegan lentil soup fills him up.

Also, about salads: he doesn't like a lot of "color" in his salads, where I will put everything but the kitchen sink in mine. He finally agreed to try one of "my" salads with chicken.
-baby greens/spinach
-grape tomatoes
-red cabbage
-sunflower sprouts
-artichoke
-grilled chicken and tossed with my own balsamic vinegarette. He absolutely loved it.

I also think that if you have been raised "canned and frozen", real veggies have a very different and surprising flavor and that in itself can take a while to get used to.

Eves
04-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I´ve recently had a sort of potluck at my place and I`ve managed to convert several people to use this salad rather than their mayo soaked versions.

For four servings:

1 large cucumberç
3 md tomatoes
1 sm red onion
2 tbs of parsley
3 tbs of red vinegar
bitty bit of garlic
pepper to taste
1 tsp of cumin
1 half lemon
(optional 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil)

um, chop everything you can except the lemon. Add the stuff, squeeze some lemon juice, cover the pan and shake. Serve right away or chilled (if you have a fridge). It`s by far the easiest salad and it goes really well with your carb. Especially in this heat.

maryblu
04-22-2007, 02:25 PM
The only veggie I truly don't like is broccoli....now, no one believes me because I serve it twice a week; it is, after all, a wonder food.

Broccoli sprouts are even more nutritious, and I sprout my own, so I would never have to serve broccoli, but my SO and son eat steamed, crisp broccoli, and it is so easy...they eat it plain, but I use a tip I learned in Prevention. I sprinkle Caraway Seeds on it, and it really makes it edible. If anyone else suffers from broccoli deficit disorder..this is as easy as it is effective.

shananigans
04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I used to think I wasnt overly fond of Brussels sprouts, till I roasted them! The way I do it is super simple, cheap and easy. I toss frozen sprouts (inexpensive and easy to get year-round) with a short drizzle of olive oil, few shakes of soy sauce, pepper, maybe a couple other spices depending on what Im serving it with, and a splash of vinegar (spicy mango chili vinegar from Trader Joes is my current obsession) or lemon juice, and a couple shakes of bread crumbs. Roast at 400 for about 40 min, and voila, yummy!

Mummy_Tummy
05-08-2007, 02:58 AM
I really think most people are unaware how good veggies can be just simply being roasted. Of course fresh ones - NOT from a can. I think many people would be converts if they just tried em' that way.

and
I used to think I wasn’t overly fond of Brussels sprouts, till I roasted them!
I was gonna say roasted asparagus, Robin. Your story made me laugh because that is exactly what happened when my mother (the most notoriously finicky eater in the world) came to visit and I made roasted asparagus. Same with sprouts (I've never tried the frozen but I'll give it a go sometime). I just drizzle with a bit olive oil and roast in the oven.

In fact, asparagus made that way is probably one of my all-time favorite dishes.

calico_cat
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I make a mushroom lasagne that is to absolutely die for.

zenor77
05-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Roasted veggies (or veggies that aren't overcooked) always taste better then the mush that I think most of us grew up with. My mother overcooked every vegetable known to man (except artichokes~she did those well.) It really is a miracle that I like veggies.

My sister made zucchini sauteed with garlic for the family years ago and it really opened my eyes. I think it was the first time I had ever had crisp tender veggies (the only way to go in my opinion.)

I have a great brussel sprout recipe that even haters like. You chop them finely in a food processor and breifly sautee them with garlic, cider vinegar, and a smidge of brown sugar (you could probably leave out the sugar~it's a holiday recipe.) I think people don't realize what they are since they are chopped, so there's no preconcieved dislike there.

Astrae
05-09-2007, 06:16 PM
My mom does mock potato salad using cauliflower instead of taters. It's really good!

It's made exactly the same way you would make potato salad for your family, however it is you like it, only with cauliflower.

shyla2001
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
I have just recently (like just last week) gotten onto a "must choke down veggies" mode. And come to find out, baked / "roasted"? squash in the oven is DELICIOUS!!! WHO KNEW?!! I slice it thin, put it in a baggie with a tsp of olive oil, shake to coat, put in a pan, sprinkle a little salt, cover & bake. OMG! So good! Kind of sweet, even. I'm trying zucchini that way next.

Astrae
05-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Oh, and of course there's spaghetti squash. My mom makes it a lot and pairs it with a homemade tomato salad instead of thick sauce. My step-dad and step-brother scoff at any kind of veggie other than a potato, but even they eat this.

Elanajel
05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Steamed artichokes

Roasted beets/sweet potatoes/red onion, drizzled w/maple syrup. Put garlic cloves in the pan as well, and grind fresh pepper over it. Cover w/foil and roast until everything is tender.

Su-Bee
05-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I love eggplant, & here is one of my favourite recipes:

Sautee an onion, garlic, and a couple of minced hot peppers (to taste) in a pan. Add cubed eggplant (I don't peel, but some people will NEVER be convinced you can eat eggplant skin!) & cook until soft. Add a can of crushed tomatoes, two whole chopped tomatoes, a splash of lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste and simmer until hot through.

You can serve over rice or pasta, or not - I eat it plain & can easily go through an entire pot myself!

Spinymouse
06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I just made this yesterday and it was great!!!!!!!! Many of the ingredients were not what I would have chosen to put on a pizza on purpose, but were based on the contents of this week's Community Organic Harvest Share bag (which is always a surprise of produce - I love looking forward to my weekly bag of secret ingredients.)
Although not an exact answer to the question in the original post (since I don't have anyone to convert) -- I think, hey, who doesn't love Pizza??!!

I handmade raw dough (large) from my favorite local Pizza restaurant
Top with normal tomato-based pizza sauce

preheat oven to 500.

Top with (under the cheese so it won't dry out, and not a lot of any one item:)
1. meatless soy-based spicy apple "sausage" (2 sausages, sliced)
2. shredded or finely sliced bok choy (about 1/2 cup)
3. 1 finely sliced radish
4. 1 medium sized finely sliced carrot
5. roasted red pepper - about 1/3 cup
6. sliced mushrooms - about 5 mushrooms
7. finely sliced sweet onion - about 1/4 cup
8. pickled sushi ginger - about 10 pcs
9. finely chopped serrano pepper - one, with seeds removed
10. chopped garlic scapes - about 2 long scapes (in case you are bewildered, as I was: these are the long tops of the garlic plants that come up before the garlic bulbs form.)

Then top with a very thin layer of Mozzarella and Provolone cheese blend, then a very thin layer of Monterey Jack cheese; bake about 5 mins. Remove from oven, then top with shredded romano cheese (enough to very lightly dust the whole pizza) and add

11. raw pineapple chunks - about 1/2 cup
12. re-hydrated and chopped sun dried tomatoes - about 4 tomatoes before chopping

Then top with blobs of white goat cheese. (about 4 oz.) Bake about 6-7 mins more till it looks done.

All measures are approximations. I put the numbers in front of the toppings because I am so giddy (easily amused?) at having put 12 topping items not including cheese and sauce, on a pizza!

mandalinn82
06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Squash Casserole!

6 cups of zucchini, sliced, laid out in a baking pan. Top with 4 tbsp of shredded parmesan cheese, ground pepper, salt, and italian seasoning. Bake at 400 degrees until the cheese is melty and starting to brown and the squash is tender. Sometimes, I add a chopped tomato or two to that, or a little bit of lowfat mozzarella. Yummy.

Stuffed zucchini is also good - cut two very large zucchini in half lengthwise and spoon out the insides, leaving approximately 1/4 inch of flesh on the outside. Chop the removed flesh and place in a small bowl. Add 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped, some basil, salt, and pepper, and 2 servings of prepared couscous. Mix well. Fill the spooned-out cavities of the zucchini with the filling mixture and top each half with a tablespoon of shredded parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees until zucchini skin is tender and cheese is starting to brown.

WaterRat
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
You can stuff a zucchini with almost anything - leftover spaghetti sauce is good too! :)

Asparagus is my absolute favorite veggie, but there aren't many I don't like (eggplant is way down on the list).

One thing I found that's very good and most people like is an Asian coleslaw. I got the recipe from Cooking Light (and of course, I'm at work and it's at home) but basically it's a nice change from the mayo/creamy coleslaw. I usually mix green and red cabbage and add onion and shredded carrotts. Hmmm, I have a jar of Lighthouse fat free sesame ginger dressing - I bet that would be good tooo......

mandalinn82
06-04-2007, 06:01 PM
I loooooove non-mayo/creamy coleslaws (I have always, even at my heaviest, been turned off by creamy cold salad dressings). Usually I just thinly slice up some napa cabbage and carrot, top with some soy sauce/rice wine vinegar mixed with just a touch of sesame oil...toss and serve.

I also make potato salads with non-creamy dressing. My favorite is to steam about 2 parts green beans and 1 part red potatoes cut in half until tender. Mix up a quickie dressing with 2 tbsp white wine vinegar, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, a couple tablespoons of chopped thyme, a little bit of minced garlic and shallot... Mix in a 1/4 cup or so of chicken broth to give your dressing more volume. Toss the dressing in with the green beans and potatoes while they are still warm and allow to chill...you have a perfect summertime potato salad with very few calories from the dressing and lots of veggies.

cbmare
06-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Also, about salads: he doesn't like a lot of "color" in his salads, where I will put everything but the kitchen sink in mine. He finally agreed to try one of "my" salads with chicken.
-baby greens/spinach
-grape tomatoes
-red cabbage
-sunflower sprouts
-artichoke
-grilled chicken and tossed with my own balsamic vinegarette. He absolutely loved it.

OK. What are sunflower sprouts?

I like just about all sprouts except bean sprouts.

I love just about every squash out there except eggplant.

I abhor green beans unless they are pickled or in tempura which I don't eat any longer.

I love peas in just about all forms. Black eyed peas are one of my favorites.

tleef
06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
My daughter is not overly fond of most veggies...don't know where she gets that from ;) I make foil packets for on the BBQ and everyone loves them.

The most simple...and you can use frozen or fresh (can use anything...green beans, eggplant, peppers or leave out anything you don't like)
4 stalks of broccoli
4 stalks of cauliflower
1/2 Carrot sliced thick
1/4 cup yellow corn
Zuccini (as much as you'd like)
1/2 cup yellow/white onion (use your preference)
1 tsp margarine (transfat free)
2 ice cubes
Mrs. Dash seasoning to taste(or any no/low sodium seasoning with a kick)

Take a square of foil and put all the veggies in the middle, top with margarine, ice cubes and seasoning and bring the corners up and fold foil together into a tent that doesn't have any holes (so steam doesn't escape) and pop on the BBQ or in the Oven. They need to be on medium heat for at least 7-10 minutes. Remove from BBQ and open foil (watch out for steam). Put veggies on a plate and you can pour the juice in the bag onto the veggies or add to rice or mash with potatoes (sweet potatoes/yams are best). Everyone in my house loves this and even guests compliment it. You can use any combination and fresh or frozen will do the trick. YUM!

Casandra
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
My favourite vegetables have always been Pot Roast vegetables!! Potatos, onions, celery and carrots slow cooked through the day with a slab of beef simmering about them.

I guess that's my downfall! I dont like uncooked vegetables except for carrots, but they have to be baby carrots. I'm so picky!! :(

junebug41
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
OK. What are sunflower sprouts?

I like just about all sprouts except bean sprouts.

I love just about every squash out there except eggplant.

I abhor green beans unless they are pickled or in tempura which I don't eat any longer.

I love peas in just about all forms. Black eyed peas are one of my favorites.

Like alfalfa or broccoli sprouts, but much prettier and better tasting :) If you like sprouts, you would probably like these. I usually can't find them at the regular grocery store, but at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc...

jiffypop
06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
ssssh!!! don't tell anyone that i do this! i devised this meat loaf because the ALzheimer's mom doesn't eat more than a couple of bites at a time, and i wanted her to have something healthier and easy to eat.

Shred:
onion
carrot
zucchini
celery [if you're ambitious]
mushrooms
red or green pepper

saute them all on low heat until they're cooked and the liquid is gone. set aside to cool

Mash a can of chickpeas [or black or red beans] in a bowl. mix the veggies into it - you'll end up with at least 2 cups of STUFF.

add 1 lb of ground meat. [beef, meatloaf mix, turkey, chicken, whatever]
about 1/2 c bread crumbs
an egg or two

i always add grated romano, but you don't have to do that.
parsley
basil

mash it all up and form the meatloaf [or little baby meatloaves if you want]. sometimes i add cheese to the center as well.

top with any of: ketchup, fresh tomato slices, a can of seasoned diced tomatoes.

bake at 350 or so until it's done. nobody knows the veggies are in there!

Spinymouse
06-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Jiffypop- that is great; I have done that also, with all the vegetables you list, except for the chickpeas/beans. I'll have to try that! Bell (or hotter if you like) pepper is good in there too. I've also cut the real meat with fake meat (soy-based, like "gimme lean") The vegetables do a lovely job of keeping the stuff moist. Sounds like you're taking good care of Mom!

JerseyGyrl
06-22-2007, 02:08 PM
I used to hate cauliflower but..this made me a cauliflower lover!!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_like_stuffed_baked_potatoes.html

rockinrobin
06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
That's quite the recipe JerseyGirl. Wow, cream cheese AND cheddar cheese? Whoa. That's adding A LOT of fat and calories to my very favorite vegetable. Which I eat either steamed in a little chicken consomme' or roasted in the oven using cooking spray.

But then again, I guess I could see where that WOULD turn someone around. ;)

nelie
06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
When I was young, my favorite dish was Zucchini smothered with shredded cheese. I gave up my beloved shredded cheese on Zucchini a few years ago but it was oh so good.

I still love Zucchini though and my favorite way to prepare it is to slice or dice it, with diced onions and hominy. Put all 3 in a covered sautee pan with a little water, stirring occassionally and making sure that there is always a little water on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the zucchini are tender. It tastes oh so good :)

SoulBliss
06-22-2007, 03:17 PM
I still love Zucchini though and my favorite way to prepare it is to slice or dice it, with diced onions and hominy. Put all 3 in a covered sautee pan with a little water, stirring occassionally and making sure that there is always a little water on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the zucchini are tender. It tastes oh so good :)
I love that combo with tomatoes and/or salsa! :carrot:

LLV
06-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I used to hate cauliflower but..this made me a cauliflower lover!!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_like_stuffed_baked_potatoes.html

Eeeeeeeeeek! Looks good but the fat and calories! Do you do anything to cut some of it? What I'd do is use fat-free cream cheese, reduced-fat cheddar (the fat-free shredded cheese just doesn't melt like it should) and turkey bacon.

nelie
06-22-2007, 03:29 PM
SoulBliss - If I'm adding tomatoes, I usually omit the hominy and just have zucchini, can of diced tomatoes and onions (with some spices such as garlic).

ladybugnessa
06-22-2007, 03:31 PM
well while not totally veggie it's got more veggies than anything else. so i would like to offer my pasta salad

it's very labor intensive too. (Last time i made it it took me well over an hour) but WORTH it. oh and i make a HUGE batch of it so that it lasts for over a week... my MIL loves it. my kids LOVE it. MY veggie hating friends love it and my husband says it's the BEST pasta salad he's ever had:

i mix a box of cooked rinsed rotini pasta (I use whole wheat)
with large amounts of the following (all cut small):
green onions
red onions
broccoli heads
tomatoes (i use grape or cherry)
red cabbage
shredded or minced carrots
sliced black olives
green peppers (can also use red yellow or orange peppers)
peeled cucumbers
radishes
(and any other firm veggies you like)
mix all together well
meanwhile in a large container I add a bottle of Italian salad dressing a few big spoonfuls of mayonnaise and a couple of shakes of Parmesan cheese and mix all them together

pour over the veggie pasta mix and refrigerate.. the longer the better.
salt and pepper to taste...

JerseyGyrl
06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Eeeeeeeeeek! Looks good but the fat and calories! Do you do anything to cut some of it? What I'd do is use fat-free cream cheese, reduced-fat cheddar (the fat-free shredded cheese just doesn't melt like it should) and turkey bacon.

I prepare it exactly as the recipe says...that is the beauty of Atkins:D

jtammy
06-22-2007, 05:32 PM
JerseyGirl, I use that same recipe. She also has a green bean recipe and a rotel cabbage casserole that we eat frequently. I'm eating more carbs than I used to, so I've lowered the amount of cheese, but there are some great low carb recipes on that site.

JerseyGyrl
06-22-2007, 05:44 PM
JerseyGirl, I use that same recipe. She also has a green bean recipe and a rotel cabbage casserole that we eat frequently. I'm eating more carbs than I used to, so I've lowered the amount of cheese, but there are some great low carb recipes on that site.

Tammy, I agree...LindaSue's recipes are some of the best low carb recipes you will ever find!

rockinrobin
06-22-2007, 07:19 PM
I love zucchini. I just slice it thickly, put on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and add some spices and spray it a little more. I put it under the broiler and flip it after just a few minutes and cook a little more. It cooks real, real fast. It's yummy. Sometimes I sprinkle a little bit of grated parmesean cheese on it. It's a great, quick and easy dish.

LLV
06-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I prepare it exactly as the recipe says...that is the beauty of Atkins:D

Oh! Ok, gotcha ;)

And that's a great site, I've made some of the recipes from there.

Casandra
06-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Everyone has probably seen/had/heard of this dish. Its Green Bean Casserole, and amazingly, its gluten free!

2 tins green beans or 2 cups fresh snapped beans (cooked of course!)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup French's Fried Onions or Funyons or Onion flavored crunchy snacks.

Mix all in a casserole dish and put into the oven on medium heat for about 20-25 minutes. 5 minutes before its finished, top the casserole with a small handful of the Onion Stuffs, and then put back in the oven for 5 minutes till onion stuffs are browned a bit.

I know its not the healthiest thing ever, but I can never resist this dish at a Thanksgiving meal! I have found a healthier alternative though!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/greenbeancasser.htm

LLV
06-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Everyone has probably seen/had/heard of this dish. Its Green Bean Casserole, and amazingly, its gluten free!

2 tins green beans or 2 cups fresh snapped beans (cooked of course!)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup French's Fried Onions or Funyons or Onion flavored crunchy snacks.

Mix all in a casserole dish and put into the oven on medium heat for about 20-25 minutes. 5 minutes before its finished, top the casserole with a small handful of the Onion Stuffs, and then put back in the oven for 5 minutes till onion stuffs are browned a bit.

I know its not the healthiest thing ever, but I can never resist this dish at a Thanksgiving meal! I have found a healthier alternative though!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/greenbeancasser.htm

Every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's up to me to bring the green bean casserole. If I don't, I'll get clubbed.

LOL

nelie
06-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I've never had a green bean casserole but I have heard of it, I think there is a TV commercial that had it before.

Has anyone ever had a daikon radish? They are really good sliced and sauteed or roasted. DH about flipped when I served them to him mixed with his zucchini.

SoulBliss
06-26-2007, 11:22 AM

French's Fried Onions aren't wheat or gluten free, at least in the USA. :(

French's French Fried Onions: Palm Oil, Wheat Flour, Onions, Soy Flour, Salt Dextrose, TBHQ, Citric Acid,in Propylene Glycol to Protect Flavor.

Most commercially available cream of mushroom soups aren't either. :(

Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup: Water , Mushrooms , Vegetable Oil , Corn Oil , Cottonseed Oil , Canola Oil , Soybean Oil , Modified Food Starch , Wheat Flour , Cream , Salt Less Than 2% , Dried Whey Less Than 2% , Monosodium Glutamate Less Than 2% , Soy Protein Concentrate Less Than 2% , Dried Dairy Blend Less Than 2% , Whey Less Than 2% , Calcium Caseinate Less Than 2% , Yeast Extract Less Than 2% , Spice Extract Less Than 2% , Dehydrated Garlic Less Than 2%

NightengaleShane
06-26-2007, 01:43 PM
French's Fried Onions aren't wheat or gluten free, at least in the USA. :(

Most commercially available cream of mushroom soups aren't either. :(

What really IS gluten free? It seems like *everything* has gluten in it. To my knowledge, most things that are truly gluten free are organic specialty foods that usually cost an arm and a leg. :p

NightengaleShane
06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
As for delicious things with vegetables... I'm a big fan of stir fries. Here's one of my favorites:

1 bag stir fry vegetables (your choice, really) - defrost them a little in your microwave before cooking them to make it go faster
Lean cut top sirloin, chicken, or tofu - however much you want of whatever you'd like - chopped up in small pieces
A tablespoon of olive oil

And the sauce:
Make it to taste. There are no exact measurements. The sauce is largely made of teriyaki sauce (use low sodium if you'd like), peanut butter (around a tablespoon usually), and a little bit of sugar... a couple teaspoons perhaps? You can use Splenda or Stevia or something else if you're paranoid.

Put the olive oil on a skillet over medium heat. Wait until it gets hot, and then add the meat or tofu. Let it cook a little bit, then add the vegetables. Let the meat or tofu and the vegetables get hot before adding the sauce. Then, simmer for about 5-10 minutes covered (to let it soak up the sauce and soften teh vegetables) and serve over rice, noodles, or whatever you want.

It doesn't sound like the most diet-friendly thing, but it's actually pretty good for you - high protein, minimal fat, and not hellaciously high in carbs if you eat it alone or put it over brown rice. :)

Mdae
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
my two favorite veggie dishes are:

eggplant, sliced, egged, floured & fried with a lil salt/pepper (i can manage two all by myself) and i definitely leave the skin on... it never would've even occurred to me to peel them! plus if i'm gonna be bad by frying them, i might as well keep the skin on for the extra vitamins and it's a nice-not-quite-bitter taste.

and spinach casserole which is a family favorite and what we make on holidays instead of green bean casserole because everyone in my family hates green beans.

spinach casserole recipe is as follows:

3pkg frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed/drained thoroughly)
1 envelope lipton onion soup mix
16oz sour cream

mix those 3 things and spread in a casserole dish, then add a topping that is a combination of bread crumbs, melted butter and parmesan cheese (i always guesstimate the topping measurements). the topping should completely cover the spinach (like 3/8's an inch thick). bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until dark golden brown.

anyway, neither of these suggestions are all that diet friendly, though you can use fat free sour cream and it's really not bad at all.

oh, one more i love - roasted veggies (eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini) chopped and tossed with pesto!

my husband was pretty anti-veggies before we got married, and while he may be simply keeping the peace, he professes to love these. oh, and roasted acorn squash.

charolastra00
09-04-2007, 04:23 AM
I was in Nebraska visiting a friend a few weeks ago who didn't even know how to buy veggies at the grocery store! He was so preoccupied with where to weigh the veggies and where to write that down. Poor kid. He also grew up in a very meat and potatoes type family. I cooked for him but the best thing was going to an Indian restaurant (probably the only one in Lincoln, I have a spidey sense when it comes to Indian food) and made him get something vegetarian. I could not BELIEVE that he loved his choley (curried chickpeas) and ate half of my palak/saag as well! Palak paneer with tofu in place of the paneer is really easy to make as well and even my younger brother loves it- and since you can avoid the ghee and cream and all of that junk when you make it yourself, it's ridiculously healthy!

As someone who grew up on canned veggies, I must say that I still prefer canned green beans to fresh. It's almost embarrassing :P

GatorgalstuckinGA
09-04-2007, 03:37 PM
my fav that i never get tired off.. ASPARGUS....yum yum...(and not the crap from the can). Fresh drizzled with just a slight amount of olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and sea salt...then either on the grill (the best) or cooked in the over. I could eat that every day of the week!

Mars
09-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Simple spinach salad with honey mustard dressing:

Dressing: Mix 2 spoons of honey with enough yogurt to make it 'non-sticky' (about 5 spoonsfull) add 1 spoon of coarse mustard (with mustard seeds in it) add pepper and salt to taste.

add to that a lot of spinach or mixed dark greens and a little bit of crumbled goatcheese... YUMMIE. :love:

If you need or want you could add a sliced up apple, finely chopped onion and roasted pine-nuts but it doesn't really need it.

losinitin07
09-07-2007, 05:19 PM
My favs are fiddle heads and corn and fresh beets. Fiddle heads are soo good with vinagar and real butter from the local dairy.:smug:

raebeaR
09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Count me in as another asparagus fan! We do it every way imaginable... grow it in the garden and feast on it while it's in season. Yum!

Here are 2 veggie recipes that always surprise people who tell me they "hate" vegetables:

Very Simple Beet Root Salad

3-4 medium-sized beets, RAW, peeled and shredded

Add:

drizzle of honey
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of balsamic vinegar, to taste
sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste

Mix well.

Serve over:

Baby arugula leaves

Top with:

A few crumbles of goat cheese.

Heaven on a plate!!

The next is an old WW recipe that I modified a bit to suit my own taste. It's basically a ratatouille. It works well as a side dish, an omelet filling or tossed with pasta -- and only 2 points per serving!!

1 1/2 TB olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced or to taste (I use double this amount)
3 cups cubed eggplant
1 cup EACH chopped celery, green bell pepper and mushrooms
9-12 medium tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup chopped, fresh basil, or 1 1/2 tsp dried
salt and pepper to taste

In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute briefly. Add eggplant, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and seasonings; bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 10-20 minutes.

Top with parmesan cheese if desired.

6 servings, 2 points each

Rae