Old 04-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Default Calories in... Calories out...

You'd think by now that I would know the basics of calories in and calories out, but I think I've been overinundated with "diet trends" in my lifetime that I can't keep fact straight from trendy fiction.

Anyone have any good web resources I can quick reference to understand how many calories I should be eating each day to lose weight (at my weight) and how much exercise (as well as intensity) I need to do per day to lose the weight.

I've been good about getting exercise in but I don't think I'm working out hard enough and sometimes I don't physiologically know how much that is.

I just started a log on Fit Day and it scares me how many calories I've eaten just yesterday and today. I must change the food and caloric intake.

Help!
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There are plenty of websites and calculators that can give you an "idea" as to the right amount of calories you should be eating. But they are not accurate, as we are all such individuals. The very best way and only way IMO, is through trial and error. One very basic "calculator" is to times your weight by 7, which brings you to about 1650. That is a good place to start or there abouts. You might want to track your calories very closely for a couple of weeks and see what kind of results you get. Fitday is a good way to track your calories and can be a real eye opener. I think we all know just how quickly those little suckers can add up. But seeing them there on "paper", quite eye opening indeed. I also find the quality of my calories almost as important as the actual number.

As far as the exercise goes, I'm not really sure what level you are currently at and how much unintentional exercise you are doing. I know Fitday is fine for calorie counting, but not too reliable on the activity front. I know when I first started out I had been very inactive. I started walking about 20 minutes 4 x a week. I was able to quickly increase that as I went along. You'll figure it out. It does take a little patience, but is VERY worth it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #3  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I totally agree with Robin..
you have to find out, really, for yourself..
and it changes.. depending on (for me) your time of the month (I need about 200 more calories each day.. the week before my period) and your activity level.. (well obviously)..

I think the most important thing is to try to eat intuitively.. I have found out I can eat a higher number of calories if my diet is protein rich, than I can if my diet is carb rich (and I mean good carbs)..

I think the 1650 sounds like a good place to start.. I can actually eat around 1800 a day and still lose about 6 pounds a month.. (so far)..

I found this site that really helped me figure out what my "base metabolism" probably is close to:

http://healthone.icu.ehc.com/healthc...tofcalculators

hope that works.. if not PM me and I will send it to you...
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote