Support Groups - Hoof prints in the sand

View Full Version : Hoof prints in the sand

Cowpernia
04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Are you all having warm weather yet? It's lovely here in Flawridder. I feel antsy, however, and discombobulated. I wonder if that's a real word.

Kiwonk
04-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Well, if you call 35 degrees warm, then yes, we're having warm weather. But it is nice to think about sand and sun and such faroff remote concepts.

That's some wild hair you got going there!!

My dattar and her beau are going to see Loreena McKennitt this weekend. We are jealous.

Kiwi

Wabby
04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
It's in the 50's and rainy. Not exactly spring time weather, but if you blink it changes.

Bagzz
04-18-2007, 04:05 PM
i aDORE loreena----when the girls were little we sat at her feet at a children's festival while she played the harp----wish i had a camera at the time---they were enthralled---i have her new cd and it's a delight----funny,dd's bf's parents went to see her earlier this month in Copenhagen---she was on cbc radio on monday and she sang live!!well,this world is getting smaller and smaller----i have a 'student led' conference to attend tonight----ds12 got all a's but he still wants us there--cute.

DixieAmazon
04-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Bagzz! Actually kinda cool down here, really nice.

Bagzz
04-18-2007, 05:03 PM
huh???? is this our old Cookie??

DixieAmazon
04-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I'll be 47 this year.

SugP
04-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Yessss! Cookie is back! :carrot: How in the world ARE you, darling?

We've been having stupendous weather. It was about 80F on the weekend and more coming up this weekend.

Discombobulated better be a real word because it describes exactly how I feel. Let's be discombobulated together, shall we, Peachy?

DixieAmazon
04-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Doing OK SP. My boys are getting big and feisty. DH got a steroid shot yesterday, so he is feisty and grumpy and I have PMS. The atmosphere in the house is a little tense but should improve in a few days.

Just noticed I need to redo my weight loss ticker and not in a good way.

Kiwonk
04-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Cookie!! How great to see you back here! Thought you'd gotten lost in the bayou or something. Many changes over the years, and yet things are much the same here.

I wasted, I mean spent, the afternoon entertaining some folks who dropped by. Not that I'm not glad to see them, but we do have a telephone....

I need to get outside. I think I have cabin fever.

What's for dinner, anyway?

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Mardi Gras Cookie? Wow. Welcome home.

My hair cutter person has cancelled on me twice. I stood up her once while ds was in hospital but that should be forgiven. And she didn't answer the phone all week til today. So I'm finally getting my hair cut (unless she cancels again) and I'll look like that picture again. Fluffy. Except not skinny. Bigger. Butted.

Where my best buddy Ellabelle?

DixieAmazon
04-18-2007, 09:22 PM
What's for dinner, anyway?
Shake-N-Bake Barbecue Chicken... and I helped.

I see Lushie hasn't been around for a while.

Kiwonk
04-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah, long time no see Lushie.

I made a delicious dinner using one of those glossy grocery store how-to-cook-our-food magazines. Simplest thing ever -- the original ("prize-winning!") recipe called for Italian sausage, sweet potato and grapes, which I changed to Kielbasa, white potato, onions, carrots and mushrooms. You just cut it all into chunks, toss it on foil covered, pam-sprayed baking tray with balsamic dressing, just enough to coat. Then bake it 20 minutes or so at 400, turn everything once halfway through and mix it up good. Recipe called for 30 minutes, my version was a little extra crispy at that point, but it was yummy anyway. I had it with cucumber and tomato salad.

My cat is staring at me. Now she's pawing at me. Now she's flicking her tail at me. Now she's mad--she looked away. I scratched her head--now she's staring at me again.

My life is so interesting.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-19-2007, 01:24 AM
I enjoy cat stories. In fact, I want to tell one: My cat is staring. My cat is staring into space. Now he's staring the other cat. Now he's staring at me. Now, the other cat. Now, at me. (It's beginning to feel unsafe here.) Oh, now, he's asleep.

I wish I could tell you all about my job but I can't before you'll think that all I ever ever do is complain. The kids are so sweet .. and bratty ... but sweet. They LOVE the book Heckedy Peg. I do, too. They want me to be the witch which is ok if I don't have to chase them.

But here's one thing about the job. I was (not) briefly (enough) in a room of raised-by-wolves three-year-olds. Horrible. They hired a new teacher and she is a nice woman, large, tall, not fat, way big. She does not yell. She speaks softly. I saw her go to the worst of all these kids and tell him (at nap time) to put a toy back on the shelf. He did not. She reached down, took his arm and SWUNG HIM from as far as she could reach til he was the the shelf. He put the toy back and she SWUNG HIM back on to his mat. It was monkey like and very effective but disturbing. However, they are horrible and I don't know how to control them.

DixieAmazon
04-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Two year olds and three years olds are scary. :eek:

ellabella
04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
<yawn> G'morning all! Hi Cookie from Louisiana! Some day I'll give you my super-quick-not-to-be-believed Jambalaya recipe. Let me introduce myself. I'm Ellabella from Massachusetts, and I'm on probation with this here herd. New, doncha know? As you may have surmised from her reference to me as her "best buddy", Cowpernia is especially fond of me, and I'm sure is going to advocate, eventually, for me to become a permanent cow. (Hiya Cowp - how're you doing today? :hug: )

I haf' to go get my bath (I am not a shower person) and head down the highway to work, but just wanted to stop by and say "welcome back".

This, incidentally, is our 38th day of rain, and despite my pleadings, my DH has yet to build an ark. Okay maybe not the 38th. We may have a little "wiggle room", but one hates to be last-minute about these things.

My khats are dysfunctional. We got them both from a shelter, and both had been abandoned. They have PTSD, and we've been working with them to demonstrate that humans can be trusted and shouldn't be feared. They're actually much better than they were. I DO try to keep humanity's less humane side from them....don't expose them to reports about Iraq or talk shows like Imus's. Sometimes I worry that we're coddling them TOO much - that we're giving them a false sense of security, but it's actually rather pleasant communing with creatures who are *above* it all. (Above me, too, but those complaints can wait for another time).

Have a lovely day, all..

Ella :coffee:

Cowpernia
04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
This Va Tech story is mind numbing. They're saying right now that he showed "not the signs of a lunatic but the signs of a psychopath." Is that helpful information? We just need to know how to keep our babies safe.

It's so sweet that Ell collected khats with ptsd. (Kiwi .. what is that?) I will suggest tough love in dealing with them. Make them pay consequences. If they spill their food off the dish, give them a little dust broom. If they scratch the furniture, get rid of the furniture so they have to sit on the floor.

How can those news people keep showing closeups of kids and teachers crying? They zoom right in and wait while the reporter probes their despair.

In the old days, one became a permanent cow by being named by Lush. Now that Lush has dumped us, I don't know what to do. I will think. Cookie, did Lush name you??? Or try to anyhow. (Can't someone just go to Lush's house and get her?)

Cherry Cow
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Cookie! Yay!

I'm working on a gigantic paper that I hope will eventually become my dissertation proposal, so I've been invisible lately.

Peachie, I followed your story about Z. Wow. I'm so glad he's recovering!

Wabby, congratulations on your new grandbaby on the way!

Gotta go... paper is due today (or, at least one incarnation.)

Oh, and now we're homeschooling DS11. As of today.

Kiwonk
04-19-2007, 12:58 PM
She reached down, took his arm and SWUNG HIM from as far as she could reach til he was the the shelf. He put the toy back and she SWUNG HIM back on to his mat. It was monkey like and very effective but disturbing. However, they are horrible and I don't know how to control them.Hey, if the arm didn't come out of the shoulder socket, where's the harm, eh? :fr:

My khats are dysfunctional. We got them both from a shelterOnly one of mine is from the shelter; she's the weird one. The other was abandoned, along with her sister, in our yard at the age of perhaps 5 weeks. Too young to know any better, they settled right in and took over the house. The sister was hit by a car :( but Piney is 13 years old and still very much the queen of the house.

I worry about Jet sometimes; she watches an awful lot of cop shows. Do you think she will become violent? Do you think she will ask for video games for her birthday?

ptsd. (Kiwi .. what is that?)psst: post traumatic stress disorder

Oh, and now we're homeschooling DS11. As of today.Whoa, that will take a big chunk of your time, eh? Good luck on your paper (maybe you and ds can write papers together!)

We used to talk about homeschooling DD when she was young, but I knew it would be a constant struggle. She always bristled every time I asked her about her homework, like I had some nerve "questioning" her. Good thing she was highly self-motivated. I should say "is" -- she now won't consult us about what classes she's going to take each semester. She will generously :rolleyes: let us know what she's "thinking about" taking, but won't tell us what she's decided on until after it's a done deal. Independent little sh*t.

It is a gorgeous day here :sunny: -- just bright and sunny and I should get outside. Well, for more than the morning tennis ball throwing ritual. Finally, the rain seems to have stopped. Maybe the snow will melt before June.

Wabby
04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, I do remember the day Lush named me -- she came up with Bunny, but I changed it to Wabbit.

I know news reporters are necessary, but they are pretty much vermin. I say this from experience. They have no qualms about calling and calling ppl who are going through the most traumatic experience of their life in hopes of catching you disintegrating. Makes such fascinating human interest stories.

Hey Cookie! good to "see" you! :mag:

Cherry, what are your reasons for homeschooling? Whatever they are, I admire your parental devotion.

Here's my animal story for the day --- My Dotty dog had a lump on her side that the vet said was probably a fatty cyst. It's been there for about 3 years. About a week ago it started changing to a darkened color, so I'd made an appointment for next week to have it removed. Well--- yesterday when I went home this tumory looking thing had erupted and was hanging by a nasty chunk of flesh. It's about 1" in diameter, so I called the vet and asked to bring her right in --- long story, short---- they removed it, biopsied it, now he's talking about removing a large area of skin around it. I hope it's benign. I don't want to lose my doggie. The vet said he'd never seen anything like it before, where the tumor erupted through the skin on it's own. She now has a huge crater on her side that will take forever to heal up. Gross. $485 and if they have to do further surgery, who knows how much........ and my other doggie, Lucas is getting sooooo old and arthritic. Why do they have to get old so soon? My doggies prefer "The Dog Whisperer" to violent shows or the news.

It's bright and sunny today here, too, Kiwonk. :cool: Finally!

Kiwonk
04-19-2007, 05:27 PM
My first Belgian had one of those fat deposits. It never changed as far as I know. That is pretty gross -- I wonder if Dotty worried at it, chewed it or something. If it itched, that wouldn't be surprising. I hope she's okay.

I'm appalled at what passes for "news"; most of the time I just can't watch it, or it seems, even read it online. Do I really want to look at the vicious face of that sick ******* from the hate video he put together? I do not, and I don't even have any connection to the people who were massacred by him. I can't bring myself to turn on the TV news; that was on an article on Yahoo. Thanks a lot Yahoo.

There's been a lot of analysis of why the national news media has gotten so horrid, and the conclusions seem to be 1) the 24 hour news cycle -- how do you fill in all that time? With lurid video and by interviewing everyone who will talk to you; and 2) the merging of news and entertainment by the big media companies. News departments used to have some credibility and took pains to maintain that; now they're required to be entertaining and have pretty much given up on substance, I guess.

The other night I was watching the local news and I have to say that is disappointing in its own way. For us, local covers most of the state of Maine, so I wasn't surprised to see a lot of coverage of the damage to the coast and southern parts of the state early this week from the really bad storms. What I couldn't figure out was why they were interviewing a man who had something to do with an area that didn't get hit by the storm. Seriously, "no, we were lucky, the storm didn't do any damage in our area." An in-person interview, not over the phone, broadcast on the evening news. Well, we didn't have any damage here either, maybe I should call them up and let them know the breaking news... They could take video of our mud.

Kiwi

ellabella
04-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I absolutely KNOW that life was at one time, kinder and gentler. And if it wasn't, people had the good sense to keep it to themselves! Oh, I'm sort of half-kidding, of course, but at the same time, I guess I'm at least half-serious, as well. Becoming more global should be a good thing, shouldn't it? I mean, now that we can communicate instantaneously with people on the other side of the earth, never mind a few states away, shouldn't we become more knowledgeable about - and thus more tolerant of other people, other cultures, other world-views? Shouldn't all of this ease in communicating lead to increased cooperation? Less conflict? After all, hasn't it always been a lack of understanding that has led to intolerance and alienation between groups??? Shouldn't we be exposed to different points of view; shouldn't we learn all we possibly can? Isn't knowledge power???? Don't we, the public, have a RIGHT to know all the sordid details, and shouldn't a responsible - and responsive - media give them to us?????
I wonder. I wonder how kids who misbehaved 50 years ago managed to grow up into reasonably functional adults before anybody ever thought of labeling them as having ADHD...I wonder why it is that child abuse statistics, for example, reflect such a frightening INCREASE in child abuse cases. Could it be that there was just as much child abuse in the past, only it was (a) called "discipline", or (b) nobody mentioned it. I wonder how people who are filthy rich today - and getting richer; especially those $%$#@*&^%$ CEO's of the big oil companies who collect billion-dollar BONUSES because we're paying over $3 a gallon for GAS - I wonder how THEY can justify spending billions of dollars buying sports teams, having freaking STADIUMS named after them, having homes in twenty-five different places when that money could probably end homelessness and hunger once and for all.
Ooops. Gotta wind down this tirade. It's depressing, though, isn't it? The way humanity just seems to get worse instead of better? And maybe it doesn't. Maybe good and decent folks have ALWAYS been in the minority. And, of course, there's no news coverage of good and decent folks, so we really have no way of knowing how many of them are out there.
We sure do hear about people like Cho-whatsisname, tho. More than we ever wanted or needed to.
Lucky us.
Progress. Yay!!!!
Blah.

I'm going to go work off some of this vitriol on my trimrider.

TTFN,

Ella :dizzy:

Kiwonk
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
How socratic of you!

But here is the real question: Is it a pan of brownies with a yummy vanilla glaze? Or is it our driveway? You decide.

Cowpernia
04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
There's dog hair on the brownies.

Bagzz
04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
how can we be lovers if we can't be friends?

Cowpernia
04-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't know but I'm flattered.

SugP
04-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Make tea, not war. :hug: And send a thank you note afterwards.

DixieAmazon
04-20-2007, 07:24 AM
In the old days, one became a permanent cow by being named by Lush. Now that Lush has dumped us, I don't know what to do. I will think. Cookie, did Lush name you??? Or try to anyhow. (Can't someone just go to Lush's house and get her?) Luscious didn't name me, so perhaps I was only tolerated. :dizzy: I was Cookie Monster waaay back at the now defunct CyberMom website.

Cherry you have my admiration. I do not home school, I don't think my kids or I would survive it. Last week they were on spring break which we spent in Arkansas with my mother so her main sitter could have some time off. This week one or more of them have been home everyday due to illness. How is a girl supposed to save up their strength for summer vacation if they won't go to school?

ellabella
04-20-2007, 07:37 AM
How socratic of you!
But here is the real question: Is it a pan of brownies with a yummy vanilla glaze? Or is it our driveway? You decide.

I know, I know. Just think of me sitting here in my cave, scairt to death of the shadows.
Sorry, ennyhoo, about the ranting.
Sometimes I rant.
I will seek counseling.
I promise.

As for the brownies (it most certainly IS a picture of brownies) I am hesitant to do so, but feel that I must point out that you didn't spread the glaze evenly. Betty Crocker would not approve, and Martha Stewart would be quick to cut up those puppies, put a sprig of something colorful on each one, and start a new domestic fad.

I'm sorry that our little group is having relationship issues. Again, I feel I must interject: "Why can't we all just get along???" (needs to be said in a whining, sniveling and essentially insincere tone)

Friends? Lovers? Some combination thereof? Hmmmmm and ahah!

Where the heck is Schatzi!!! Has anyone spoken to her outside this site? Everything's okay with her, right?

ONE more day at work! <groan> My kiddles came over last night even tho my actual birthday gala is scheduled for Saturday. Lovely of them, but this morning I's dragging.....

TTFN,

Bagzz
04-20-2007, 10:15 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVE ELLA! I HEAR WE ARE HAVING GOOD WEATHER ON THE EAST COAST THIS WEEKEND!! THAT SHOULD BE GOOD!---i should get out and start cleaning up my garden---it looks horrendous-----all grey and lots of grungy leaves----my daffy down dilly's are trying to poke through that mess---but it's been so effin cold around here.------hey kiwonkers--the snow has disappeared here and there are flooding problems up river starting to cause trouble-----your mudslide is adorable---did you hear about the slides in newfoundland----quite horrible and shocking!!!peoples homes sliding into the sea--they even showed it on nbc news this morning----

Cowpernia
04-20-2007, 07:35 PM
I have not lifted a finger but have a sparkling, brilliant shine house and perfect sorta yard. I have that man at the door the $50 to wash the house and $20 to do the back yard and it is AMAZING>>> You can see it flowing from down the street. Turns out, he used to be head of the cleaning crew for some big resort condo thing on the beach. Anyway, it feels great. Inside not great; Outside great.

Ella, habby bifday; when are you going to post a picture; like the rest of us; can be out of date.

ellabella
04-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Hello Cowp, dahlink. I am actually going to allow my picture to be taken this weekend. I am HORRIBLY tempted to post one of myself five (just FIVE, dang it!!!) years ago when I weighed 30+ pounds less. But nope...Ima bitin' the bullet and lettin' it all hang out...

Thank you for the birthday wishes. You're a sweetheart, despite how hard you try not to be.. :hug:

Where's Schatzi????

TTFN,

Bagzz
04-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Cowpern!!!! Send Me A Picture Of Your Shiny Happy House---i Am Trying To Imagine Your Abode And Can't Picture It!xoxoxo Shiny Happy Houses Holding Hands!!!!

ellabella
04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Bagzz...that's a wonderful-looking khat you have there. I'm jealous.

Shiny, happy houses???? Hmmmmm. You gonna send a pic, Cowp? Be sure to draw a smiley face on it.

I'm glad that you're happy with your lovely clean house & yard. I haven't dared look out back yet. I may need a stiff drink before I am able to do it.

E! :D

Bagzz
04-20-2007, 11:45 PM
peachers---do you still colour your hair the shade in your photo or have you let it go??? i wish i had those lovely curls-----it looks like a perfect annie hall type of outfit----i often wear a man's sports jacket with my jeans---i got it at frenchy's and it's part cashmere.

Cowpernia
04-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Well at the time I thought it was sexy. The boyish dainty look or something. I'm hoping to fluff the hair up a bit tomorrow at the hairdressers but it's shorter and I'm wider.

ellabella
04-21-2007, 08:09 AM
The SUN was shining in my bedroom window this morning and woke me up! Can you IMAGINE???? SUN????

Schatzi forwarded her message to me last night about her husband. I know you all have provided her with support, and that some family members went down to be with her, but it must be so hard. It does sound like he's made it through in one piece, and that sure is a blessing. She's such a lovely lady, isn't she?

I'm not weighing myself today. I think once a week is too often. Maybe it isn't, but I just get too discouraged losing only one or two pounds each time after eating so carefully and exercising every day. Maybe if I switch to once a month, I'll see a little better progress. DH is going to buy me a mountain bike for my birthday, today...and I'm going to buy one for him. For his birthday, which isn't until August, but we decided to get them together so we could start riding right away. There's a really beautiful park less than a mile from our house with bike trails and a pond - very pretty, and a good place to ride. We're having a gala birthday supper at my daughter's tonight with all of the offspring and the offspring's offspring in attendance. Only the DS will be missing, and Lord, how I miss him!!! But he'll be back for a visit the last week in June (HIS birthday week... tsk) and then again for Christmas. I really, really look forward to those visits. He called on my birthday, which was nice, but not enough, yanno?

WE also have to drop my car off to have the muffler replaced...it's three years old, and this is the first repair I've had to do on it. It gets driven just about six hundred miles a week EVERY week, so it's held up pretty darned well. I guess we should think about trading it in before too long - before the mileage gets WAY up there and the trade-in value is nada - but I really hate to part with it, it's been so dependable.

Gotta go grocery shopping, too. Ack.

Have agood day, y'all...and enjoy that shiny new house of yours, Cowp...maybe you bettah keep your sunglasses on. Send us a pic of your new haircut???

TTFN,

Cowpernia
04-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I know I'm not the only person who doesn't know what's going on with Shots' dh. It sounds serious and I hope for the best. I just offered a prayer for them.

This is my house. I took a picture with the sun shining on it but it was too bright.

Bagz, this story was in my daily newspaper yesterday. Adopt-a-sister. You send her money and she prays for you. In the newspaper, it says "This is a way for them to keep up their skills." And "Personal contact is encouraged." The online story certainly doesn't advocate personal contact and ... what skills exactly? Anyway, I found it very interesting.

Bagzz
04-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Too bad i am about to read a book called "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything"-----otherwise i would pray too----i am getting tired of all of the world not getting along and fighting cause THEIR GOD has told them to kill----i need more proof,and until i get it,i guess i am taking a time out from the god thing------------it's kind of a relief,although bound to be controversial----not quite like Don Imus, but Catholic Families tend to get all freaked out when you don't keep on with their beliefs----well, that's my Sunday School Lesson for today!---and peachers ,your sweet little house shines like the morning sun----adorable!!!

Cowpernia
04-22-2007, 02:17 PM
I forgot to send the link. (http://www.salesiansisters.org/adopt-a-sister.html)

Bagz, you still go to church weekly, don't you? That is one of my towers of strength that you and your mom will stop ANYWHERE on Sunday and hunt down a church.

The area around two sides of my house used to have little shrubs which died and the nice-man took the out and threw them away somewhere. He said to put pine straw or mulch in there. It's too big for me to haul mulch home for an too expensive. It would many bags. Any other suggestions? BAGZ?? WABBY??? Any other gardeners??

Last night the supermarket closed at 10:00 and I was the last cashier. Just before 10:00 two men came in with a shopping list their wives had given them. Baby food, chips, beer, sandwich stuff .... All the other customers left the store by 10:00. Our manager will not let us confront customers so these men did not know the store was closed. Some managers will shut off the music and some lights but not this one. So they shopped, all by themselves, til 10:50. They still didn't know, I'm sure, until the door was unlocked so they could leave. I don't think women would have been so out-of-it.

DixieAmazon
04-22-2007, 02:54 PM
The area around two sides of my house used to have little shrubs which died and the nice-man took the out and threw them away somewhere. He said to put pine straw or mulch in there. It's too big for me to haul mulch home for an too expensive. It would many bags. Any other suggestions? BAGZ?? WABBY??? Any other gardeners??Maybe plant some sort of ground cover?

Bagzz
04-22-2007, 03:34 PM
peachers---i don't go EVERY week anymore,and i go {irregularly} chiefly to help out with the music that my sister is in charge of----ever since i got divorced {and not annulled} and the catholic church says that re-married catholic's can't receive communion---i have had my back UP and am not faithful at all------however,it's more than that---i find all organized religion confusing and i am tired of thinking about it ---it is impossible to understand and i am worn out from worrying about it----i am taking a VACATION from religion---now if you need someone to Channel,my mother is endlessly available---not only does she attend mass and do readings on sundays,she goes to mass almost EVERY day of the week!!! you may continue to use her as a tower!!!! THIS tower has turned the lights off!!!

Cowpernia
04-22-2007, 03:48 PM
My tower has turned her lights off so I will wait for Tuggy the Tugboat to pull me in.

Bagz, tell me what you think I should do about the ground that isn't covered. Cookie has a good idea except I'm trying to think of something I can't kill by not watering it. I saw that mulch is about $10 a bag and one bag would cover nothing. The bags were small. They were smaller than my belly.

Bagzz
04-22-2007, 04:42 PM
There would be all kinds of native groundcover that would likely work---you really should ask the garden centre {we spell it like that in canada} in you area --they would best be able to advise you----i like creeping jenny but i an not sure if that would work----you need a creeper!!!!

Cherry Cow
04-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Hello! Prayers to Schatzi's DH and Schatzi! I forgot some of the other stuff I wanted to say. BTW, Lush didn't name me, but I think she approved of the name.

I'm working on explaining my reasons for homeschooling. My older DS had a lot of problems in school and DS11 seems to be going in the same direction. Home will be a better environment for him. I just don't want his love of learning to be crushed, and as far as I can see right now, that's all that's happening at school.

DixieAmazon
04-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeppers, a garden "center" would be your best bet. What I can use way down here in zone 9a might not make it in you area. You could try the forums at gardenweb.com, they have some regional boards.

Bagzz, that divorce thing is why so many members at my church (Episcopalian) are former Catholics. I was not really formally anything for years. There are problems no matter where you go. http://bestsmileys.com/religous/1.gif

BTW, can you insert images at this forum? When I use the image tags it just inserts a hyperlink.

ellabella
04-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Cowpie,

You might want to think about some NON-plant solutions, actually, if watering isn't going to happen. Or some minimal-plant solutions, at any rate. Maybe when your DS is feeling better, he and some of his friends could go out in the woods somewhere (keep in mind that we have woods up here; I'm not real familiar with what kind of native foliage you have down there) or go somewhere - where they could pick up some decent-sized rocks that you could put around the sides of your house in nice, artistic-looking arrangements, and then just plant some hearty, survival-oriented flowers around them. Just an idea.... :dizzy: I kind of like things that aren't exactly like everybody else has, yanno? Your house looks nice and spanking clean, btw. :D

Bagzz, I guess you and I have about gotten to the same place religion-wise. I have lots of questions that are similar to the ones you are asking. Throughout history, the wars that have been fought and the atrocities performed against humanity in the name of "God" and "religion" is horrifying.

A person named Acharya S. wrote a book called "The Greatest Story Ever Sold", and she is a pretty highly respected historian and philosopher. The book draws some rather thought-provoking parallells between the Christian Jesus Christ and numerous previous "sun gods" or "son-gods", all of whom were sacrificed to "save humanity". I'm afraid that religion can be a little difficult to hold on to once you start looking into it, and doing a little research. I'm on a permanent vacation.

I rode my bike for 30 minutes this afternoon. It was pleasant, pedalling around the neighborhood. My butt hurts, tho. We got padded seats, but it's still hard after you've been sitting on it for a while. Maybe it'll be better if my butt gets smaller.

TTFN,

Ella :wave:

Kiwonk
04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
I know I'm not the only person who doesn't know what's going on with Shots' dh.Did you get her email? She copied you on it.
Schatzi forwarded her message to me last night about her husband....She's such a lovely lady, isn't she? Tough, too! But everyone needs some back-up -- wish we could help out by more than :grouphug:, but that'll have to do for now.
I think once a week is too often. Maybe it isn't, but I just get too discouraged losing only one or two pounds...... Maybe if I switch to once a month, I'll see a little better progress. Why don't you compromise on once every 2 weeks? I would be concerned that you might not notice a turn in the wrong direction in the space of a month. Kind of like what I have not noticed because I wasn't paying attention.... I will have to redo my weight tracker so much I may just delete it, it's too discouraging. I have never been this chunky in my life. I only realized how bad it was on Friday when I was in Freeport and thought I'd try on some clothes at LLBean outlet. Horrors and more horrors. Went home and weighed myself and really don't want to be seen in public ever again. There. That solves that problem. Do we have a smilie of an ostrich sticking its head in the sand?

I have not lifted a finger but have a sparkling, brilliant shine house and perfect sorta yard. Absolutely fab!! Way to go!

Catholic Families tend to get all freaked out when you don't keep on with their beliefs--Almost all the Catholics I know are lapsed Catholics. :dunno: Maybe the church needs an extreme makeover. :devil:

I forgot to send the link. (http://www.salesiansisters.org/adopt-a-sister.html)
I looked at that; I didn't see the part about their skills; where was that? It's an interesting idea. Do they let just anybody adopt them? :s:
He said to put pine straw or mulch in there. It's too big for me to haul mulch home for an too expensive.You shouldn't have to pay that much for mulch. If you drive around outside of town, you might even find someone selling loads of it. They could deliver it to you, I would think. My parents used to have a great big beautiful lot on the lake in NC covered with, among all sorts of beautiful trees and flowers, lots of pine trees. My stepfather used to rake all the pine straw up and sell or give away what he didn't need.

'course another thing you could do is buy some flagstones and make yourself a little patio!

Our manager will not let us confront customers so these men did not know the store was closed. Some managers will shut off the music and some lights but not this one. So they shopped, all by themselves, til 10:50.That's just absurd! Don't they have a loudspeaker? Many times I've heard over a loudspeaker "the store will be closing in 5 minutes. Please bring your purchases to the cashier"!!

--however,it's more than that---i find all organized religion confusing and i am tired of thinking about it ---it is impossible to understand and i am worn out from worrying about it----i am taking a VACATION from religion--I don't blame you. If a church is going to exclude people because their lives take certain turns, that church will not survive in the future. Frankly, organized religion gives me a royal pain these days. But I don't find it at all confusing, mainly because I think of it as an institution that grew out of a human need for belonging and meaning. I don't see anything magical about it, really -- it's entirely real and true as long as you believe in it, and if you don't, it's not real at all.

I just don't want his love of learning to be crushed, and as far as I can see right now, that's all that's happening at school.Isn't that discouraging? Good luck to you; I hope he thrives with homeschooling.

BTW, can you insert images at this forum? When I use the image tags it just inserts a hyperlink.I was wondering the same thing recently; I've determined that you can't in this forum (down at the bottom of the page, you can see that IMG code is Off, not sure why). But you can always use the attachments feature to show a thumbnail of something.

I have been missing all weekend because 1) I went to Freeport Friday to meet my skinnycleanyfriend from Oregon who was visiting and go shopping and 2) when I got home we started having problems with our phone line and it only just cleared up a while ago. Cold turkey on the internet all weekend :yikes:

Sorry I missed your birthday, Ellabe :bday2you:

DD said the Loreena McKennitt concert was truly awesome. She even left us a voice mail message from the concert. She also informed me that the BF bought the two of them some champagne at the concert "because he looks over 21". Hmph :rollpin:

Later gators.
Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Shots did send me the email but her email gets rejected by my server. Don't know why. She resent it after I emailed her and, as a reply, it came through.

I am planning on having the kids make paper this week. I have never made paper and now that I'm reading instructions, I am afraid. Has anyone else done it? You let small pieces of paper get smushy in water, put them in a blender and destroy them, dump all this in a large pan, dip window screen in it, turn the window screen over and let the wet flat mess fall on a piece of felt or flannel, and let it dry. Doesn't that sound hard. When I turn it over, it will spill.

She even left us a voice mail message from the concert. She also informed me that the BF bought the two of them some champagne at the concert "because he looks over 21". HmpCall the law, I say.

I know this is what all kids do but was still funny when the four-year-olds were read a story about a great-great-grandmother who was 94. "How was she?" No answer. "She was very old. Does anyone remember?" FIFTEEN!

My daily paper yesterday had a story about the adoptable nuns that is different from that online story. I will share quotes as I found it fascinating: "About 130 donors now get the prayer services of about 40 sisters. 'You don't have to be Catholic,' Sister McReynolds said, 'You don't have to be any religion.' .. The suggested years gift is $100 ore more but the amount doesn't matter. A ocuple of bucks gets the same spiritual boost.

"Donors get a picture, name and phone number of a sister they can visit, write, call or maybe even send a plate of cookies to. Personal contact is encouraged.

"'A lot of us go through our prayer line and we pray and never get any feedback,' McReynolds said. Many sisters are retired or in the Mount St. Francis nursing center. This is a way for them to keep up their skills.

"'It brightens up their day. It gives them a sense of being in a relationship with people we're praying for,' McReynolds said. ...... she said a corporate Adopt-A-Sister is coming soon."

ellabella
04-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Why don't you compromise on once every 2 weeks? I would be concerned that you might not notice a turn in the wrong direction in the space of a month. Kind of like what I have not noticed because I wasn't paying attention.... I will have to redo my weight tracker so much I may just delete it, it's too discouraging. I have never been this chunky in my life. I only realized how bad it was on Friday when I was in Freeport and thought I'd try on some clothes at LLBean outlet. Horrors and more horrors. Went home and weighed myself and really don't want to be seen in public ever again. There. That solves that problem. Do we have a smilie of an ostrich sticking its head in the sand?

Huh! Join the club, Kiwi. But, yes. Every two weeks would probably make more sense...I caved and weighed myself yesterday, of course. So much for all the strategizing. I lost one lousy pound. I shouldn't say "lousy". It's better than nothing, and a pound of hamburger looks pretty substantial, actually. It's just that it's soooo sloooow now that I'm ...um....over 21. I had that "moment of truth" a month or so ago. I wish I COULD stay home and not be seen in public until I'm looking and feeling a little better. Unfortunately, no can do. My only saving grace is that the young woman (30's) in the office down the hall from me has been gaining, too. You know how misery loves company. But now I'm starting to wonder if she's pregnant. She's looking decidedly chunky and has taken to wearing a lot of empire-waist dresses that do NOT flatter her one bit. She may not be preggers - she's not married, (not that THAT means anything) but she has always been quite attractive and well-put together, and seemingly on top of her game. I dunno. I guess time will tell.

Almost all the Catholics I know are lapsed Catholics. :dunno: Maybe the church needs an extreme makeover. :devil:

Yeah. It needs SOMETHING fersure.

I looked at that; I didn't see the part about their skills; where was that? It's an interesting idea. Do they let just anybody adopt them? :s:

Good grief! What will they come up with next????? Things must be pretty tough if they have to start adopting their old nuns out. Maybe they should sell off some of their property. Isn't the church the biggest property owner in the world?

'course another thing you could do is buy some flagstones and make yourself a little patio!

Now there's an idea!!!! I love outdoor spaces that you can actually use as well as look at.

I don't blame you. If a church is going to exclude people because their lives take certain turns, that church will not survive in the future.

Yeppers. That's why they're reduced to adopting out their old nuns.

Frankly, organized religion gives me a royal pain these days. But I don't find it at all confusing, mainly because I think of it as an institution that grew out of a human need for belonging and meaning. I don't see anything magical about it, really -- it's entirely real and true as long as you believe in it, and if you don't, it's not real at all.

I agree with you 110%. Reality is whatever WE choose to believe, and it can be different for each of us.

I have been missing all weekend because 1) I went to Freeport Friday to meet my skinnycleanyfriend from Oregon who was visiting and go shopping and 2) when I got home we started having problems with our phone line and it only just cleared up a while ago. Cold turkey on the internet all weekend :yikes:

Missed you, Kiwi. Glad you're back! :D
Thank you for the birthday wishes!!!!!!!!!!!

My butt still hurts from riding my bike. I called my DS because I know that he & his GF ride all the time. He says HIS butt was sore the first time out, but that it's fine, now. I guess that's encouraging. I soaked in the tub for a while, but it's still sore.... good grief! :dizzy:

Well, I hope everyone has had a pleasant weekend weather-wise and in every other way, too! I sure hope Shatzi's able to get us an update before long. Yep, long-distance hugs seem terribly inadequate, but she and her dh are certainly in everyone's thoughts and prayers. She'll needto be tough, I imagine. Sounds like there'll be some rehab work to do.

TTFN,

Ellabella :wave:

Cherry Cow
04-23-2007, 03:09 AM
Oh! I remember what I was going to say! Don't get discouraged about only losing a pound or so a month! I finally stopped fussing at myself about that about a year and a half ago (with the help of a semester-long program on healthy eating at the school) and have lost about 30 pounds since then. It looked like it was only a pound or two a month, and it probably was, but I'm happy to be where I am now. Two pounds a month is better than no pounds a month!

ellabella
04-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey, Cherry - Thanks for the encouragement! Actually, I was kvetching and complaining about losing a pound a week! That's how impatient Iam!!!! I've never been great at long-term projects. Once I decide to do something, or decide that I want something, I like for it to appear instantaneously. Those dang pounds sure seem instantaneous enough when I eat something I shouldn't be having!

BUT, having said that, I am resigned, this time, to a gradual weight loss as part of a healthier life style. Hah! Maybe I can start writing articles for those health and fitness mags. Or not. :p

Have a great day!

Ella :coffee:

Kiwonk
04-23-2007, 01:52 PM
If you lose more than 1 pound a week, you will disappear in a year. And furthermore we will have to come to your house and beat you up for being an overachiever. So don't do that.

I watched some of those superobesity shows on TLC last night. For some reason it didn't make me feel better about myself.

It's like summer here today. Actually hot. Apparently there is no such thing as spring this year -- you get winter or you get summer.

My mom's birthday is in a couple of days and I already have her present wrapped. And I have a card! Now all I have to do is mail it. She could even get it the same week as her birthday for a change...

Kiwi

DixieAmazon
04-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I really exercised some bad judgment today. I went shopping at the mall for a bra today in the midst of PMS.:eek:

Why do the bra manufacturers seem to all presume that if you are a "plus" size you need a huge cup size and an under-wire?

Wabby
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Hiya cowsies.

Peach, your email rejects me too. At least now that I know it rejects other ppl's emails I won't take it personally.

I went to see The Namesake[I] on friday w/ my sis and friend. Good movie. Subtle. Had to think about it for awhile before I was sure I liked it. Saturday went to lunch with friends at http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3&category=Location%20Homepage then shopping at a nearby little town. It was rainy and icky, but we still had fun. Yesterday went shopping for a wedding dress w/ DD. Nothing like a shotgun wedding to get you moving. Anyway, she's going to look beautiful on her day. We actually found a dress off the rack. No ordering and waiting. Not that we have time to waste here.

Geez, Kiwi. You'll ruin your reputation. You've got to be careful or ppl will start assuming that you really [I]can keep to a schedule, and before you know it, they'll start expecting it. That's why I'm always a day late and a dollar short. It's actually a plan to keep ppl from being disappointed by me. I do it on purpose. Yeeeaaahh, that's the ticket, I do it on purpose.

Cherry! 30 pounds off is wonderful! I think the slow and steady route is harder than starving it off quickly, and lots healthier for sure.

Speaking of dieting, gotta go, it's lunch time.

Kiwonk
04-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Geez, Kiwi. You'll ruin your reputation. You've got to be careful or ppl will start assuming that you really can keep to a schedule, and before you know it, they'll start expecting it. Well, no chance of that this time around -- I was of course barely on time to get to my Dr. appt this afternoon, so didn't have time to mail the package before it, and I had to wait 45 minutes for my 2 minute appt. (yes, my hip feels better, yes, I will keep going to PT, yes, I'll stop taking drugs one of these days, Goodbye) Then it was too late to mail the durn thing. Do all post offices close at 4PM now? It's ridiculous.

Why did I look up McMenamins recently? Had something to do with restaurants built in old schools (something Kennedy school in Portland). But why was I looking them up to begin with? I cannot remember.

I'm going to go make hamburger soup. I think. I just realized I didn't buy any mixed veggies. Gonna have to chop em up myself. Dang.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I am at work sick and would really like some hamburger soup. In lieu of that, please post today. A lot. Entertain me. Inspire me. Achy.

Brian gumbol is taking Regis's place this morning and he is all that entertaining. When is Regis coming back?

DixieAmazon
04-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Design your own Kleenex box. http://www.mykleenextissue.com/

Feel better soon!

Cowpernia
04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Oooo, Cookie, only $5 and I get to put DS's graduation pictures on a tissue box. Yay.

I am sharing facts today:

Fact 1: If you purchase sushi in the supermarket where the ingredients are listed on the label, you will be disappointed. Carrots, for example, have a LOT of ingredients: Carrot, water, sugar, salt, a couple of acids and then I quit reading.

Fact 2: A gorgeous red bird is circling my house. Chirping and repeatedly LANDING ON THE GROUND> I tried to chase him away but he coudn't go so I had to find the cat and drag him in. I can't keep him in forever so the birdie needs to go someplace else.

Fact 3: I am not good at making paper. I practiced and it looks like handmade pizza dough made from lint.

DixieAmazon
04-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Oooo, Cookie, only $5 and I get to put DS's graduation pictures on a tissue box. Yay.Cheap, if you get bored enough. ;) Fact 3: I am not good at making paper. I practiced and it looks like handmade pizza dough made from lint.I wonder if you could use it for Kleenex. You could mail it to Sheryl Crowe, I think she has a paper shortage.:dizzy:

Cowpernia
04-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes, I heard that Sheryl wants us to use one square of toilet tissue per "visit." Why did she and Lance break up?

I have my windows open and Let's Make a Deal on. Is the life or what? Snore.

ellabella
04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey Cowp, sorry you're not feeling well. I'm home today, but it's because I had to drop my car off to be fixed, and couldn't make the train in time. Oh, well. :shrug: There are actually lots worse things than having an unexpected day off - especially if it's a nice day, and it is. Not as hot as yesterday - it went up to 90 degrees here yesterday and broke some kind of record, I hear. All I know is that it was HOT :hot: and they haven't turned the AC on in my office building yet. I had the windows open, and all I got was a hot breeze. Ack.
Today, though, is better. Maybe 70-ish, I'd guess. I dropped my car at the shop, my daughter picked me up and brought me home and then I did a 30-minute bike ride. Today my butt didn't hurt quite as much as it did on Sunday. I wouldn't say it was exactly comfy by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't excruciating, exactly, either. If I'm REALLY ambitious later this afternoon, I might go out again. I looked it up, and a 30-minute ride burns @ 324 calories. You'd think it would be more, wouldn't you? It seems so unfair that gaining weight takes so little effort and losing it is so danged hard! :( Don't worry, Kiwi, ole' Ella isn't likely to disappear anytime in the next decade. You all could come over for a tea party or something, tho :D
As I was riding my bike around the neighborhood, I saw a lot of folks cleaning the winter debris out of their yards and gardens. Ours looks like crap. It really does. I wish WE could find a guy like yours, Cowp...cheap & efficient, yanno? I swear, up here, they charge you a hundred bucks just to step into your yard. Neither DH or I much likes to be out there doing the heavy lifting. I don't mind planting a few flowers - my granddaughter likes to come over and help me with that - and pull a few weeds every so often, but all this other stuff is for the birds. Well, maybe not the birds. Maybe we should get a goat to keep the yard trimmed. Our neighbors would be delighted, I'm sure. :D

Don't chase your red bird away, Cowp...it may be trying to tell you something. Messages sometimes come through unexpected sources.

Maybe you could use your "paper" to make something similar to papier mache sculpture??? Might be interesting to mold some shapes & let them dry out. Then paint. Maybe small shapes to make a mobile? I'm partial to mobiles, myself. My son had a gigantic one in his room for years - he made it out of wire and styrofoam and string and paper and what-have you, and it was a great big grasshopper. Really *kewl*.

TTFN,

Cowpernia
04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I will show you the paper so everyone can stop thinking it can be used for something.

Kiwonk
04-24-2007, 01:12 PM
I am at work sick .....Brian gumbol is taking Regis's place this morning and he is all that entertaining.If you're at work sick, how is it you're watching TV? I would like to send you some hamburger soup, but it is a bit messy. And I want to know if Briant Gumball :s: is all that entertaining or not all that entertaining. Because I have been to the dentist this morning and I have a big fat lip and well, I just want to know.

Peachie, I don't get how carrots qualify as sushi? When I buy carrots they just have carrots in them. But I'm pretty sure you should never buy sushi at a supermarket anyway. Unless maybe it is a Japanese supermarket.

Your paper-making adventure does sound a bit, um, well, less than satisfying. Perhaps it is too lumpy -- can you put more water in it to start with or chop the pieces finer? And you definitely need to use colors! Some odd little bits of something else would be interesting too -- got any feathers from that red bird? :devil:

I have a custom designed tissue box (cover) for FREE from Puff's. It's a beauty. Must have been from the puffs website, I can't remember. You design it and then print it out.

Yes, I heard that Sheryl wants us to use one square of toilet tissue per "visit." WHAT?? Are you serious? Why bother with any, just wipe your butt with your hand, Sheryl. She's lost her mind. She must be using a square of paper towel by mistake.

Well, my fat lip is starting to subside but I can't eat anything for another hour. I'm thinking a nap is in order. Unless there's something good on TV, eh Peachie? I had a big filling done this morning, and actually he put 2 fillings in the same tooth at 2 different angles. It was very, um, interesting? I will be a hurtin' Cowie later on.

Kisses and hugs. Get better right now, Cowp. By the way, how is the boychild doing? I got a very enthusiastic call from my mother last night telling me that she had broken her hip -- 10 weeks ago -- and they only just figured out that's what was wrong (they thought sciatica, she's been in constant pain). And the doctors decided she must have a complete hip replacement because arthritis has done so much damage to the joint. Even though the break is healing, apparently it is like gluing together 2 brittle crumbling pieces. Aargh! But she seems very upbeat about it all. They had only one time when they could fit her in -- and it's on her birthday, tomorrow. She's already had both knees replaced and seems to think this will be a piece of cake. My mom's turned into a tough'un, go figure! Not me, it was all I could do to show up at the dentist this morning and not chicken out. Although I am always cheered by the fact that the dentist and his assistant make such an adorable team. He was wearing dark green scrubs and a light blue face mask, and she was wearing bright pink scrubs and a pale pink face mask.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I will show you the paper so everyone can stop thinking it can be used for something.
Ahem, yeah. Definitely send it to Sheryl Crow.

Cowpernia
04-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Fact 4: I am at home.

Fact 5: Not entertaining that Briant Gumbo is.

Fact 6: I need a proofreader.

Fact 7: I extremeley dislike by boss.

Non-Fact 8: Maybe Sheryl has a tiny butt?

Kiwonk
04-24-2007, 04:04 PM
You bust hab a tewwibuh code id da node.

Did you call Sheryl Crow a mutt?

I dalked do by dodder en zhe wud zdidding in da sun wriding a baber.

nabdime

Gouiwi

ellabella
04-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Sheryl Crow is very pawsubbly a mutt with a tiny butt. I use a roll of toilet tissue at most every sitting. Shaddup, Sheryl. Go save the whales or something. Toilet tissue isn't in danger of extinction. Ooops. IS it? If it IS, I'm heading out to get me a trailer truck full. I can't BE without toilet tissue. Nosiree.

Cowpernia
04-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Took me a long time to decipe the baber. I thought she was with a hot babe guy. My babe has only one final and it's the last day of finals. How will he get all his stuff home? Conjecture.

Somebody come take care of me. Or send George.

I am watching Bleak House and Daniel Deronda which is spelled wrong. Dickens wrote a lot about illegitimate people. Why? I'm told that when he married, his bride changed the sheets on his bed which had NEVER been changed before ... or maybe he changed them every three years, not sure.

Bagzz
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
OKAY,ENOUGH BUTT TALK---NEXT THING SHERL WILL BE ADVOCATING THE "YOU KNOW WHAT" SPONGES!!!!! OH HOW I MISS CYBERMOM SOMETIMES--ALL THAT ROGUE POSTING WAS FUN!!!---- i have just finished another bowl of my delicious o point soup---i think it was zero point---maybe one point-- i don't remember--the one with a whole cauliflower and some carrots and onions and ginger with chicken stock {pureed} i say yummmmmmmmmmmmmm the whole time i am eating it----not only is it not fattening---it must be soooooooooo good for me=------- i ate a pile of the hamburger soup with the two points the other night as well---i have decided that if you can find enough low calorie soups to eat,you can fill up,loooose a few pounds { so far,four} and feel like you are eating healthy---i am now on a mission to find and make low cal soup----and for some reason i especially enjoy the pureed ones----with GINGER---------------there--i have bored myself enough for one day.

Bagzz
04-24-2007, 04:52 PM
one more thing---i just read a really sweet book called 'the birth house' for book club---it's a national {canada} best seller and takes place in nova scotia====it was SWEET.

Cowpernia
04-24-2007, 07:51 PM
George Eliot wrote Daniel Whatever. However, both have orphans, illegitimates and exotic creatures called "Jewesses."

I am too sick to care about anything.

Bagzz
04-24-2007, 11:19 PM
not caring is a gift one gives to oneself----to be able to not care is the highest form of self-appreciation.

Bagzz
04-24-2007, 11:46 PM
When I See 'hoofprints In The Sand"===i Always Sing It To The Tune Of 'riders On The Storm' By The Doors.

ellabella
04-25-2007, 07:09 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH. My fave is "Break on through to the other side..." The Doors! I still pull out one of their albums and give it a listen every so often.

DixieAmazon
04-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I brought the image posting problem to the Admin's attention and they fixed it. :carrot: It was turned off in all the Misc. Clubs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Dixie_Amazon/laptop-chalkboard_www-txt2pic-co-1.jpg

ellabella
04-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Hmmm. Sure is quiet around here. Hope all is well with everybody.

Ella

Kiwonk
04-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Way to go, Cookie!! I figured they had that turned off for some reason; I never bothered to ask. Excellent -- sometimes you just need a picture in the midst of your text. Who was it wanted to put that pic of a bishop swinging a ........... dang I can't come up with the name. Censor, sceptor, incubator, smelly thing?

Anyway, thanks!

My mom had her hip replaced today. I can't get hold of anyone, but I'm sure I would have heard if there were any complications. I talked to my sis yesterday and she was talking about how it was really good that it all happened so fast so mom wouldn't have much time to think about it, and then she went on about Can you imagine getting cut open and having all that bone removed. Suddenly I was not feeling so good... and I have even more respect for my mother for managing to face this with a good attitude!

I went to a very interesting luncheon lecture today (don't I sound all "Ladies Who Lunch"? :lol: ) about the geology of Maine. It was given by a retired Maine professor who knows all about glaciers and ice ages and stuff. Fascinating. He says we're hanging on the brink of an ice age, and more global warming will trigger it maybe. Very complicated but I understand a lot more now than I did. DH went with me and enjoyed it too, but remains totally skeptical about global warming. I suspect it is because he doesn't like Al Gore...

I have a cute pic of my nephew to share, but must have email addresses so I can send the url. It's on my facebook. If you were my facebook friend, you would already have seen it... Actually I can pm it , can't I?

Kiwi

DixieAmazon
04-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Way to go, Cookie!! I figured they had that turned off for some reason; I never bothered to ask. Excellent -- sometimes you just need a picture in the midst of your text. Who was it wanted to put that pic of a bishop swinging a ........... dang I can't come up with the name. Censor, sceptor, incubator, smelly thing?
That would be me. :dizzy: Your welcome. I like to be able to add pictures sometimes.

Cowpernia
04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
The nephew picture is almost heartbreaking. I was thinking of these boys today and all boys and girls and how they delight us by growing older.The kids at school are So Excited to be entering Kindergarten.

Best of luck to Kiwi-mom also. And Cookie is a swinging smelly thing? No!!

ellabella
04-25-2007, 08:08 PM
What's Facebook?

DixieAmazon
04-25-2007, 08:45 PM
And Cookie is a swinging smelly thing? No!!I swear it is a case if mistaken identity!

It was this guy, --> http://bestsmileys.com/religous/1.gif

Cowpernia
04-25-2007, 09:31 PM
What category is that guy in? Couldn't find him.

Facebook is a ... I don't know .. Kiwi is so "in the moment." I read on wikipedia that Ira Glass dumped Lynda Barry because she wasn't "in the moment." He would like Kiwi though.

Kiwonk
04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
What's Facebook?I will PM you the link to my photo. Facebook is used mostly by college kids to network, but a lot of other people are getting on it as well. Great place to share photos, I think.

What category is that guy in? He's not a smilie on 3fc, Cookie uploaded him herself from somewhere.

The nephew picture is almost heartbreaking.
Isn't that the truth. I don't know how my SIL hangs on. Maybe she doesn't think about it. That is how I'm dealing with VATech nightmare, not thinking about it too much, because if I do I lose it. 3 weeks my DD will be home, then I can think about it.
And Cookie is a swinging smelly thing? No!!No no no -- I'm thinking "censer". I could look it up, but I was actually hoping to come up with it using my brain. Because I am so "in the moment". I might not be all that "in the moment" though, because I've never heard of Lynda Barry. Ira Glass on the other hand, he's the NPR guy, right? I saw him on Letterman and he knocked me over. I'm such a sucker for a NY nerd.

I need help naming my facebook photo album where I put pics I don't want to plaster all over the internet, but want to share with my favorite people. I started calling it Invitation Only. But I don't like that. I thought maybe Eyes Only, but I wasn't sure anyone would get it. I also considered Need to Know, as in need to know basis, but it sounds too serious. Granted this is probably the MOST trivial problem you all have ever been asked to address, but I have had a long day.

My mom is doing well. Surgery apparently went very well; she was in recovery for a very long time because her pressure kept yoyoing, but I talked to her this afternoon and she was feeling good. A tad groggy, but quite her chatty self.

Speaking of chatty selves, DH and I spent the evening with some distant relatives, who happen to live just up the road from us. They wanted to share geneological info and family pictures (the endless project DH is doing instead of looking for a job). They were quite the talkers. The dh is a guy we both knew from the paper mill, and the wife is the relative, so there was plenty of common ground to carry the conversation. We only got home about 10:15 or so.

Here's another somewhat more serious question I have for all of you wise women: I am trying to invite my half-sister and family to go with me to DD's chorale concert on Sunday, and I sent her an email 2 days ago. Have not heard anything. Really hate to call; I find it just SO awkward. I was hoping I would hear from her before having to make phone calls. I know I'm totally neurotic, but I hate the thought of having to identify myself on the phone to people who ought to know me. I just picture this conversation: "Hi DSis, it's Kiwi!" "Kiwi Who?"

I'm not sure what the question is: obviously I should call her, but I would rather wait and see if she answers my email, or forget about the whole thing quite honestly. How late do you think you can invite someone for a Sunday afternoon concert?

My doggie is having an ear problem; I must go investigate. She is rubbing and shaking.

Ta.

Cowpernia
04-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Are you un-close to your half-sis? DID YOU SEE BUSH DANCING ON LETTERMAN? WAS THAT REAL? Personally, I would not hesitate to call and let her know you'd like to see her and this would be a good time to do so. People in Dogpatch NEVER RSVP but I thought it was just here.

I may start a Will-Peaches-Make-It-To-The-End-Of-The-Year blog. It's hard to feel I'm not paranoid sometimes. A teacher (whose room it is in the daytime) came into my room and snapped at two boys who had blocks (one each) on the floor and cars on top of the blocks. "That's not how we play with those is it? Put them back!!" Etc. Then she hung around and told other kids what to do. Then someone told me she had told her kids they couldn't paint anymore because my class used all the paper. We use very little. 0-6 sheets a day for painting.

Also, I took a big baking pan to school for sand painting. They'd put glue on paper and dribble sand over it. Knowing it was my pan and I'd just brought it and it was next to my purse, the cleaning lady gave it to another teacher who made rice krispie treats in. I had to wash it. I can not use a pan frm the kitchen to put sand in since they cook in them and I'd have to sterilze it but mine I can take home.

So will I make it? Don't know.

Cowpernia
04-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Lynda Barry is a cartoonist of whom I first heard when her work appeared in Los Angeles Free Press periodicals along side Matt Groening's work when he drew the rabbit populated strip "Life is ****" I still see her work from time to time but don't remember where. She and Groening were buddies and went to school together and I loved his stuff so she was ok too.

ellabella
04-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I will PM you the link to my photo. Facebook is used mostly by college kids to network, but a lot of other people are getting on it as well. Great place to share photos, I think.

Hmmmm. Okay. I think I'll join just so I can look at the photos. One of these days, I'll learn about uploading, of whatever you do to get them onto the internet. My DH has all our (recent) family photos stored on his computer. I don't have any on this one. I guess he can send them over to me, right? :dizzy:

I don't know how my SIL hangs on. Maybe she doesn't think about it. That is how I'm dealing with VATech nightmare, not thinking about it too much, because if I do I lose it. 3 weeks my DD will be home, then I can think about it.

I can't imagine. I don't think I could bear it if my one and only DS (not, I suppose, that it matters whether you have one or ten - they're ALL precious to you) were to be in the service and over in some deadly place like Iraq, Afghanistan, or any of the other places in the world where they can get killed so matter-of-factly. The school shootings at Virginia Tech were, on the other hand, NOT matter-of-fact. The laws around committing mentally ill people - and privacy rights, and all of that - are so systemically impotent, and I can see that nothing has changed since I was administering residential schools for emotionally disturbed teens - and a private outpatient mental health clinic - over 16 years ago. We we so frustrated back then, because we'd have kids come to us who were CLEARLY suicidal or certainly dangerous to others, but staff would have to bring them to a hospital emergency room for evaluation in order to get them committed to a psychiatric facility, and more often than not, they ended up bringing them back to the school because they didn't "display suicidal ideation" at the very moment they were interviewed by the assessment worker. I swear they would've had to be given a straiht-edged razor and be in the act of slicing it up their arms in order to get admitted. We had to have on-call staff available 24 hours a day to call in to do one-on-one supervision with a kid who was either going to take herself - or somebody else - ot the first chance she got. (We had one 90-day program for assessment kids and a long-term program for kids who needed long-term residential services). I had hoped that the system would smarten up. Guess not. :dunno: Having said all that, I have to say, too, that the WORLD seems unsafe to me currently. Over this past weekend, about eight teenagers died in auto wrecks. Speeding, in every case. Some die of unexpected disease. I wish I believed that there was some deeper meaning to all this suffering. I really do. All any one of us with loved ones can do is hope/pray and maybe EXPECT the best. The self-fulfilling prophecy and all that. We can't live in fear of the worst. And, as many philosophers have pointed out, we get what we focus on. So, I, at least, try to focus on good outcomes.

I also considered Need to Know, as in need to know basis, but it sounds too serious.

I actually like it; it sounds "official".

My mom is doing well. Surgery apparently went very well; she was in recovery for a very long time because her pressure kept yoyoing, but I talked to her this afternoon and she was feeling good. A tad groggy, but quite her chatty self.

Oh, I'm glad!

Here's another somewhat more serious question I have for all of you wise women: I am trying to invite my half-sister and family to go with me to DD's chorale concert on Sunday, and I sent her an email 2 days ago. Have not heard anything. Really hate to call; I find it just SO awkward. I was hoping I would hear from her before having to make phone calls. I know I'm totally neurotic, but I hate the thought of having to identify myself on the phone to people who ought to know me. I just picture this conversation: "Hi DSis, it's Kiwi!" "Kiwi Who?"

I will probably add my two cents once I get to work...it's getting late and I need my bath.

Are you un-close to your half-sis? DID YOU SEE BUSH DANCING ON LETTERMAN? WAS THAT REAL? .

Was it???? Real, I mean? I didn't see this. Would the freaking president of the freaking United States actually appear on the Letterman show and act like a buffoon???

Oh. My. Gawd. When will they COMMIT him and put this country back in the hands of sane people??????????

TTFN,

Ella

Cowpernia
04-26-2007, 07:44 AM
I will continue:

I have a friend whose ds is about to graduate high school. He has a required senior project and has done very very little on it. He can not graduate without this. Deciding that he's depressed, she took him to a specialist for a $480 diagnosis. Yes, they will put him on antidepressants but about the paper ... it's just a silly paper requiured at the end of a long career in school where the boy has already worked hard and she should write it so as not to endanger his future. Isn't that practical? Would you expect that from a $480 / 80 minutes guy? I wonder how many parents are writing these things? I know I could not have written DS's.

OK, someone else may speak.

Cowpernia
04-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Oh Ellabella spoke at the same time as me.

DixieAmazon
04-26-2007, 07:51 AM
What category is that guy in? Couldn't find him.

I will share my secret.
http://bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm (BestSmileys.com)

http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/17.gif

Kiwonk
04-26-2007, 02:53 PM
A teacher...snapped at two boys who had blocks (one each) on the floor and cars on top of the blocks. "That's not how we play with those is it? Put them back!!"... Then someone told me she had told her kids they couldn't paint anymore What a *****.

Was this the video from that economic summit or something from about a month ago or more? Or was this live on the show? I have that on record if it's last night's; must go watch it.

Yes, they will put him on antidepressants but about the paper ... it's just a silly paper requiured at the end of a long career in school where the boy has already worked hard and she should write it so as not to endanger his future. Isn't that practical? Would you expect that from a $480 / 80 minutes guy?How incredibly irresponsible. If the paper is that insignificant, the doctor should have requested he be excused from it, not that someone else write it. Which, apparently he would be surprised to know, is called CHEATING and FRAUD. What benefit to the kid is it to learn that not only can he circumvent the school assignments, but that Mommy will do it for him??? I have always been appalled at the logic from parents who do their kids' homework -- how could this possibly be helping them, are they really so stupid that they don't get that the grade isn't the benefit, it's the learning involved?

Children should be allowed to paint and to put their blocks and cars anywhichway they want, and they should be allowed to make their own mistakes and do their own work. Boy I'm mad. :lol:

Yes, I am somewhat "unclose" to my sis, not as unclose as I am to some of them, but still. I am also a freak when it comes to making phone calls.

Later kids,
Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh, Kiwi, phone calling is not the only way you're freak. You're a freak of love (what a title for a song!) and we all admire you. Except you should call more.

Bush was dancing with some tribe people and waving his hands around and beating a drum. I don't know what it was from but it was on the Early Show as well. Laura was initiating hand movements in the dance. It was the kind of thing that almost anyone would be embarrassed by .. but the president ..may not, I guess.

OK, I made it through today. Three people didn't come in and I was busy. But get this: I spent most of the day in the terrible room. We have a posted policy that there will be no corporal punishment. That new teacher smacked the kids on the butt all day, with her hand and with a pointer. She threatened to do so and carried out her threat. It worked. She should be fired but it worked. This place is too crazy.

Cowpernia
04-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I just watched a cute movie and want to tell about it. People who were at the battle at Normany apparently return there to think about old friends and such. The movie involves an American and a Brit who do that, both are looking for the beauty who nursed their injuries and who loved them. They find her. Neither suspected she was a prostitute. I just loved the 70 year old ex-prostitute. Lauren Bacall was in the movie too was she was less flamboyant.

Bye.

ellabella
04-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I think that baby boomers in general - from the youngest to the oldest ends of the spectrum - will always have varying degrees of fascination for WWII. One of the best novels I ever read was Marge Piercey's Gone to Soldiers. It followed the lives of seven or eight characters through the war, and it was so amazingly well written and compelling that I've kept my old, extremely worn paperback copy and re-read it every couple of years. I read it aloud to my DH (His father was a glider pilot in WWII) over the course of a summer about three years ago in his studio with him painting while I read. He loved the book, too, and we had some interesting discussions about the war, our parents, their lives, our lives, etc. throughout the reading. I've read some great novels, (I love storytelling) but I think that book will always top the list.

Kiwi, I'd like to give you a piece of good advice about your relationship (or lack thereof) with your step?sister, but I'm afraid that anything I could say in that regard would be hypocritical on my part. I'm not a good phone buddy myself - and I don't mean to sound like I have a superiority complex or anything like that, but to me, most "chatty" phone conversations (a) go on long after there's actually anything to say, (b) end up becoming gossipy, and (c) take up time that I'd rather spend DOING something as opposed to talking about doing it. I find more value, frankly, in writing down your thoughts - journaling - letter-writing or e-mailing. Not ALWAYS, certainly, but I'm afraid that I'm just not the social butterfly of the group by any stretch of the imagination. AND if people don't reach out to me - step sisters, *real* sisters, any other sort of relative, and even friends - I'm afraid I'm unlikely - usually - to go out of my way to do any reaching out myself. My *real* sister and I - she is 12 years older than I - didn't see much of each other throughout most of our adult lives. She divorced her first husband when I was just married and in my very early twenties. After her divorce, she moved down to Florida, eventually remarried a man from there, and raised the two children they had together and her two oldest down there. We pretty much went our separate ways, with a card at Christmas, and the VERY occasional visit - my parents were still living back then, and she would come to New England once every couple of years to see them (they went south most winters) and so I would see her briefly then, but we never arranged visits specifically between the two of us. About five years ago, I went down to Richmond, VA, to visit with my best friend - I go down for a week every year, and she comes to me for a week. For some reason - don't ask me why - I called my sister. She asked if there was any way I could get down to see her; she had retired to North Carolina by then. On a complete whim, I extended my vacation for another week, rented a car, and drove down there. We had an absolutely wonderful week together. It was amazing to learn about all the things we had in common, share family memories, etc., etc. Since then, she's been up three or four times to stay with me, and I go back to her every summer. We keep in touch via phone & letters (she says she's too old to learn how to use a computer). It's developed into a wonderful relationship, and I'm so glad to have her in my life. So, for once, behaving uncharacteristically has paid off for me. I don't suggest that you would have a similar experience with your step - or half-sister. I don't know. The only advice I can give you is to go with your feelings - I'm a great one for believing that we inherently "know" the right thing to do, and "know" when is the right time to do it. If it doesn't feel right at the time, then don't do it. If it does, do. But don't agonize over it. We cows will still love you no matter what you do... :D

Wet and rainy today, here...an altogether white-knuckled drive into work over the 'Pike with some people dragging along at 30 mph, while others were racing through at 85 or more, throwing up great sprays of water that virtually blinded me for seconds at a time, not to mention the big trucks...ahhhh...all in a day's commute, eh? At least it's not snow and ice. They're still getting snow in the Denver area...I swear you couldn't PAY me to live there. I did get in another 30 minute bike ride last night when I got home from work, rode Sunday & Tuesday, and hopefully again tomorrow...so I will at least be getting a good ride in every other day. I'm feeling a LOT better just by adding in a little exercise, eating healthier, and of course having frosted my hair... :lol: ...can't turn back the clock, but I ought to be able to slow it down a little bit. But that's kind of a joke, too, isn't it??? I have an acquaintance - old friend, actually, but when I divorced my husband, the friendship kind of fell by the wayside - who skiied every winter, sailed every summer, hiked prodigiously, and was always touting some new health food - or vitamin supplement - or other, and about six months ago, I saw his obituary in the local paper.

I don't think there's anything we can do to lengthen our life spans. I'm pretty convinced that we're just like Bic lighters - programmed to *click* only so many times, and then that's it. We go when it's our time to go. Which isn't to say that we shouldn't try to be healthy while we're alive....I think quality of life is important...but I've heard people say they want to lose weight because they want to be around to see their grandchildren grow up, you know? To me, that's just silly. Lose weight so YOU'LL feel better and have more energy, etc., but don't expect it to change your life span. I just have to admit to having ONE little regret...I'd kind of hate to say "no" to a hot fudge sundae and then get run over by a truck fifteen minutes later, you know? :(

Well, I KNOW I run on, and I apologize. The truth of the matter is that I don't feel like starting the workday.. :dizzy:

Cowp, Have you ever thought of changing careers? With all your experience with classroom politics with what...3 & 4 year olds(?)...you'd be a NATURAL as an advisor in the White House... ;)

TTFN,

Ella :moo:

Kiwonk
04-27-2007, 01:39 PM
What movie was that, Peachers? I think my favorite WWII movie is always going to be that one with the woman's name, um...... Mrs. McGillicuddy's Chowder.. no.. Wow, it sux to lose your memory...

I don't suggest that you would have a similar experience with your step - or half-sister. I don't know. The only advice I can give you is to go with your feelings - It makes a tremendous difference whether you grew up with a sibling or not. I didn't grow up with the 6 siblings that my dad had after my parents' divorce. I grew up with an older brother and my younger (half) sister (my mother remarried too). I am entirely comfortable with my brother & half-sister, but all those half-sibs that I didn't grow up with -- totally UNcomfortable. This one in Mass. is the one I get along with best, but even her I haven't seen much. There's a lot of painful history in that part of the family, and I'm an emotional chicken.
.but I've heard people say they want to lose weight because they want to be around to see their grandchildren grow up, you know? Well, if that's the motivation that works, I say Do It! But I agree, you ought to be doing it to feel better about yourself or just to feel better!
Cowp, Have you ever thought of changing careers? With all your experience with classroom politics with what...3 & 4 year olds(?)...you'd be a NATURAL as an advisor in the White House... ;)
:lol: good one!

Psst: Bagz! I saw those 2 adorable pics that DD? posted with you in them. I really think you should use the 2nd one as your avatar :devil: What a great shot!

I have to figure out my weekend. I think I'm driving to Boston tomorrow, staying overnight, going to DD's chorale concert on Sunday, and driving home Sunday night. I did try to call my half-sis, but got constant busy signals, tried emailing again, haven't heard anything. Don't have the heart to keep trying, I'm abandoning that idea.

there are no 300 pound 90 year olds. Excellent, maybe I CAN loooose weight someday..

Would you believe I went snowshoeing yesterday? I've been impatiently waiting for one of the woodsroads to clear enough to drive down to take the dog for a run, but they all seem to still be covered with snow still. Most areas that see the sun are clear and muddy, but these shaded woods areas will be forever thawing. So I couldn't drive in the road, but I could bring snowshoes with me and get down almost the whole road on them. The dog was very happy, and I got some exercise, so it's all good.

I need to do laundry... Have a good day y'all...

Kiwi

Wabby
04-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Sorry. I promise to be nicer. I'm having a nasty bad day.

Kiwonk
04-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Don't do it on my account. How are things going?

Wabby
04-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Nasty bad. I could write a book..... or a screenplay to a really bad made for tv movie.

ellabella
04-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey Wabby, I don't know you as well as the others do, but I DO care. I'm sorry you're having a bad time of it.

We're pretty good listeners, if you want to talk about it, you know.

Please take care of yourself.

Ella :)

Kiwonk
04-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Nasty bad. I could write a book.Damn, I am so sorry you all are going through this crap. Is your DD doing okay?

Rosie the Robot developed an obsession with the bathroom, and I had to declare it off limits. Who'd have imagined that a machine could get neurotic?

Here's something (barely) annoying: our local tv stations don't carry Martha Stewart or Regis Philbin. Not that I really feel like this is the end of the world, but I would like the option of watching them if I feel like it, you know? At the beginning of this year, our DishTV started including the local stations; before that we watched network shows on NYC stations. Now, we can't get those at all. I feel so much more provincial than I did before. Must be why I gained about 5 lbs since then. Follow that logic. I dare you.

My DD is on her way over to Harvard to perform in a skit that she did during Muslim awareness week. Tomorrow I will drive down and interrupt her studying -- yay!

Later gators
Kiwi

Cowpernia
04-27-2007, 07:46 PM
The movie was A Foreign Field. Will post more later.

Cowpernia
04-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Why did I not think that talking about a 70 year old hooker would set Ella off. Why oh why. I am going to stick my head in a bag now and pass out.

ellabella
04-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Good grief, Cowp, I'm beginning to grow quite fond of you :hug:

Ella :crazy:

Cowpernia
04-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I have revived after cuddling with that magazine that has Imus's picture on the cover. So sad to see him used as a whipping boy.

My friend who is writing the paper for her was going to come visit me in the summer. I was so looking forward to it ... sorta. I LOVE HER but she is bossy and difficult to be in the same state with. Anyway, she's not coming now as she has to monitor her ds's medication and .. get this .. suggests we get together with our ds's and 'make them get reacquainted." A playdate for young adults. Pretty sure mine would not be interested.

Love to Darling Wabby.

I enjoy Regis as he is always cheerful. Martha does weird stuff and since seeing her fire people on that show, I've never trusted her. What happened with the step-sis?

Going to curl up with Imus again.:twirly:

ellabella
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Very Eva Braun-ish of you, Cowp.

http://www.familyguy.com/images/search/hitler%20and%20eva.png

Cowpernia
04-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Ah. Godwin's Law. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law) I believe this means you've lost, Ell. What are they doing in that cartoon? Cracking nuts?

ellabella
04-27-2007, 11:38 PM
When using Wikpedia to slash someone, it's best to make a practice of reading all the way to the bottom. The article ends thusly:

"Godwin's Law can itself also be abused, as a distraction or diversion, to fallaciously miscast an opponent's argument as hyperbole, especially if the comparison the argument made were actually appropriate."

You see, invoking Godwin's law in this case WAS fallacious miscasting: a suggestion that snuggling with Imus is, in fact, synonymous with Eva Braun snuggling with Hitler (they are obviously cracking nuts; they ALWAYS cracked nuts after snuggling. EVERYBODY knows that) is inargueably appropriate.

A stalemate, perhaps, but never a checkmate, Cowp dear. I can tell that you are growing fonder of me by the minute.

:crazy:

SugP
04-28-2007, 05:27 AM
Ooooh. Does this mean I'm going to have to start a new thread? :D :D :D

Wabby - :hug: :hug: :hug:

My kids have 5 days off. Didn't we just have Easter holidays???Tuesday is Labour Day here so everyone gets that off and they figure they may as well let the school kids have Monday off just for fun and then I find out that the 13th graders are writing exams on Wednesday so the younger grades get that day off too. And let's not even mention Whitsun and Ascenscion Day - more days off there. I may as well home school the little nippers.

Went to the doc this week. Apparently I'm very anemic and have chronic sinusitus and otitis media with efflusion, also commonly known as "glue ear" in my left ear. Uggghh. No wonder I feel like this. Going to other doc on Thursday who will make me all better.

Kiwonk
04-28-2007, 11:51 AM
. suggests we get together with our ds's and 'make them get reacquainted." A playdate for young adults. Pretty sure mine would not be interested. How...um...icky!

Didn't we just have Easter holidays???Tuesday is Labour Day here Well, there's your problem. Labor Day is supposed to be in September, no wonder they're confused... :dizzy: I hope you are soon feeling better, sounds pretty miserably. And gluey.

Godwin's law fallacious cracking nuts inargueably appropriateI can't possibly keep up with you two. I must go pack and drive to Boston and associate with young adults.

Kiwi