Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Height: 5'6

Red face Ugh... Ive been invited to a pool party..

and its not for kids its for my friends ...
and i told them "trust me you dont want to see THIS in a bathingsuit" and of course they said 'oh its just us we dont care.. if it makes you feel better put a shirt on over it"
like that can hide it?

ugh...
i need to get over this feeling in my head that I used to be so cute and little and wouldnt bat an eye over putting a bikini on ....
ugh...
but hey... 7 pounds down.. woohoo
southernleftylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Don't go if you don't feel comfortable. My husband goes to a big outside party every fall. It is a drink fest. We know alot of the people. I don't drink anymore and our 4 y/o doesn't need to go. So I don't go. It is not a big deal. I go lots of places people drink I just don't want to go there. Plus it is usually cold.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #3  

I know how you feel, somehow I ended up with all thin friends, go figure!! If you are truly uncomfortable don't go. But I've come to realize I'm missing out on a lot of fun by letting my weight run my life. If they are close friends, they truly don't care what you look like in a bathing suit. Throw on a pair of shorts/sweats and just hang out.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I live in Florida where almost every other house has a pool....Yep, there are a lot of pool parties. Not to mention the beach and taking my daughters to the pool at the YMCA. At the pool parties, I usually don't even wear a swimsuit..just something cool and casual. If anyone asks, I just tell them that I came for the company, but don't really want to swim today. No one has ever given me any problem with this.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
I usually don't even wear a swimsuit..just something cool and casual. If anyone asks, I just tell them that I came for the company, but don't really want to swim today.
What a positive attitude, GirlyGirlSebas! That's awesome!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would agree, you can go and not swim. Personally, I love to swim!! Even at my highest weight, I wasn't really shy about putting on a bathing suit and going somewhere.

You could look for a swim dress or what not if you'd like to go into the pool as well. I have 5 bathing suits or so although I'm thinking of buying another one because I'm sure my other ones will be a bit big for me next time I go to the beach.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I used to be really self conscious about that stuff. Now I don't care so much. People can tell I'm fat when I'm wearing clothes, what difference does it make? I hate letting my fat hold me back from doing things i like. It sounds like your friends really don't care. If it makes you uncomfortable, no one's gonna make you do it!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I am with Nelie & dj - I love to swim, and I have never let my weight stop me from getting in the water. Yep, I am fat. AND yep, you can tell, no matter what I am wearing. But I am a darn good swimmer too, and I love it, so that isn't gonna stop me. Do whatever you're comfortable with, but me, I'd be swimming!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #9  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I CAN SO relate to this.. I am too in FL and there are pool parties year round. One thing that has really helped me is to just develop an "I don't give a care" attitude.. I don't give a care if I look bad at the beach, i don't care if I look bad in shorts, I don't care if you don't like the way I look.. (of course I actually do) but you HAVE to learn to live your life. This mentality has REALLY helped me.. I LOVE the beach now.. but I HATED it when I weighed 257. But I am still very fat and I just made myself get over it.. You miss out on so much living in your fear of your fat. (I just recently went parasailing TWICE - the first time I was SO afraid the line would break I couldn't enjoy it - the man said it would hold up to 450 pounds).. but I was still so afraid - but I MADE myself do it.. now it's one of the most fav. things I have ever done.

I know this is long.. but I feel for you so much on this matter.. don't hide out.. don't tell them you just aren't into it and don't go and not swim. Start living your life like you have the body you want and soon you will..
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh yeah, I went parasailing too and it was fun. I weighed closer to 300 lbs when I did that and I actually went with a friend (she is tiny, 110 lbs). We had a blast
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Height: 5'6

I think what im having issues with is that these are the people who saw me in the bikini...
oh i dont know...
they love me... it is my issue not theirs..
southernleftylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I would have to agree with some of the other ladies. Go for the company and focus on the people. If you're comfortable being in something more baring, wear something that will make you feel good.

I've been in your shoes and have turned down invitations to events because I wasn't comfortable the way I would look in the swim suit or bridesmaid dress (too baring) or what not. Now, I regret not having gone. In the end, it's about the people.

I do hope you go and have a good time with your friends. You're worth it!
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I love to swim, too. Which is why I took swim classes and why I swim at the Y. However, a social setting with friends seems very very different to me. I dont like the way I look and baring everything for friends does not seem like a very relaxing enjoyable time for me. I dont want to have to deal with the whole issue...I just want to relax and have fun....and I do this out of the pool. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to bare all and nothing wrong with making a point....its all about choice and priorities. My priority is to enjoy myself.

So, Mille - what would provide you with the most enjoyment? If you really want to swim, then I say go for it! Are you going to feel self concious and worry about it the whole time, then its perfectly fine to not put on the suit and enjoy the company.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 04-18-2007 at 11:30 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote