Old 04-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/230/145

Height: 5'6"

Question Is not eating enough Calories bad?

Been dieting and have lost all my baby weight from my last baby (5 months ago) plus 10lbs.(so 50lbs total~ in last 5 months)

I just recently started keeping a food diary though.
I drink lots of water and eat when Im hungry.... But Im wondering if not eating enough calories is bad. Im shooting for no more than 1200 a day

My day so far....

Did a 2 mile walk then

Breakfast~ 2 Hard boiled Eggs and 20 oz Water (don't have much of an appetite in the mornings)

Lunch~ Salad with Ranch Dressing & Sugar Free Cherry Jello and 20 oz Water

That's only 283 Calories.... and I know I'm not doing to a 1000 calorie dinner....
PrimChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #2  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

your doing great, i would not go lower.......and add protien
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Jackie and welcome,

Boy, you'll probably get lots of different answers, but IMO it isn't a good idea to frequently go too low on your calories. For one thing, you are probably not giving your body sufficient nutrients (Protein, fiber, fat) if you are eating too few calories.

Another thing to consider is what you will do when you plateau? As we get closer to goal, our bodies need fewer calories to survive. So to lose, you will need to eat fewer calories when you're closer to goal. If you start out eating few calories, you don't have much room to drop your calories when you need to closer to your goal.

My most important consideration is that I like to eat, and if I can lose weight on 1600 - 1700 calories per day, why would I limit it to a lower number? At 200 lbs, I can still lose about a lb per week eating those levels.

Almost forgot to add - what about a couple of 150 - 200 calorie snacks during the day? That certainly helps me not be so very hungry by dinner time (the meal I used to overeat so much).
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #4  

Thanks Tammy.... I wasnt sure because I never kept track of my calories before so I thought I should ask....

I am thinking of grabbing some of those 100 calorie packs and some rice cakes to snack on my next trip to the store....
Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Off topic for a second, sorry to hijack the thread, but jtammy - OMG you're almost in ONEderland, on maintenance no less!!!! Woohoo!!

Sorry. Okay, I was actually going to say more or less the same thing as jtammy. I would definitely add a couple of snacks throughout the day. It will keep your metabolisim moving and keep you from getting too hungry. I find for myself I need to eat every 2 - 2 1/2 hours or so. If I allow myself to get too hungry - well then it's an invitation to go off plan. So if I actually eat more, it will help me to stay on plan - forever. You're a new mommy, congratulations by the way, you NEED your energy throughout the day. So by all means, IMO, definitely add a couple of snacks in there. Good luck. And welcome to 3FC and the 100lb club.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Jacki, we posted at the same time. There are some great 100 calorie healthy snacks out there. I love a sliced apple sprinkled with cinnamon. Or a skinny rice cake with a bit of peanut butter. Danon Lite and Fit yogurt with a little Fiber One cereal mixed in. I love baby carrots and cucumber slices either dipped in some low fat dressing or a little hummus. Or lots of strawberries, very healthy and low cal. Or even some dry cereal. There's lots to choose from.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #7  

Thanks so much hun for all the great ideas..........

And I have 5 kids under age 8 I need my energy FORSURE! LOL
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I would also encourage you to strive for healthier snacks. Especially fiber rich and protein rich snacks.

My snacks today consisted of -
- An apple
- Cut up carrot sticks
- Grape tomatoes

Sometimes I'll have hummus with my carrot sticks.

Snacks I give to my hubby
- Nonfat plain yogurt with frozen blueberries
- Carrot sticks with hummus or laughing cow cheese
- High fiber cereal

Sometimes I'll also snack on frozen strawberries. I like how they melt in my mouth and they are a sweet treat.

You could also try other things such as -
- Cottage cheese with frozen fruit
- Celery with natural peanut butter or with laughing cow cheese
- A few almonds, walnuts or other nuts
- A piece of your favorite fruit

That is all I can think of right now.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #9  

Thanks for the ideas Nelie!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimChick View Post

And I have 5 kids under age 8 I need my energy FORSURE! LOL
I understand now! You don't have time to eat! I know when I'm home with my 2 and 3 year old I "forget" to eat.

Lots of good ideas here. For snacks this week I'm stuck on hummus. With celery, carrots or 1/2 of a toasted pita.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #11  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Tammy said it great so I'm not going to even try. But some of my favorite snacks are:
  • A celery stalk or two with Better N Peanut Butter (1 T goes a long way and it's only 50 calories)
  • 7 almonds
  • 3 or 4 wheat thins with laughing cow cheese
  • A toasted 7 grain Belgian waffle
  • Mini bag of popcorn
  • Grapes (good frozen) or a tangerine
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #12  

Jacki,

Are you breastfeeding? It would definitely be a good idea to eat more calories including things with calcium.

good luck-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree with many of the others and just want to add that if you really deprive yourself -- eating too few calories and foods without much nutritional punch -- I think you would be more likely to "cave" and stop the "diet" and go back to old habits.

Think about the long term -- how you want to eat for life -- and try to eat like that.

Also, people who weigh more need more calories for everything! If a woman who weighs 150 can lose at a healthy rate on 1200 calories/day, you can eat quite a few more calories a day and still lose at a healthy rate (all other things being equal...). Why not try eating something like 1700 calories/day -- track what you eat and drink -- be healthy and still give yourself somethings you really like -- and see what happens with your weight for a couple of weeks. If you don't lose, you can try dropping by 100 calories a day and see what happens.

I know it's not the fastest way, but it may help you figure out how to eat well for life...

Just my $.02
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote