Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Organic flax plus multibran cereal

nelie
04-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Normally, I say no to stuff that has sweeteners in it. I decided that it would be nice to have a cereal in which I could snack on though and to find a cereal without sweeteners is well difficult.

Anyway, I was checking the boxes at Trader Joe's and it looks like Nature's Path organic flax plus multibran cereal seemed to have a nice mix of calories, fiber and protein. It does have organic cane juice in it but I'll survive for now. DH also likes it so it may disappear quicker than I anticipated :)

.75 cup is 100 calories and for those 100 calories you get 7 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein.

Suzanne 3FC
04-17-2007, 12:20 AM
That sounds interesting, I'll look for it :)

BlueToBlue
04-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Yes, that's one of my top two favorite cereals (the other is Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal). But I always eat at least a cup of it. 3/4 cup just seems like way too small a serving and a cup is still only 133 calories, which is lower than a lot of cereals.

It is really hard to find a cereal with no added sweeteners (except for oatmeal, of course). I guess there's Shredded Wheat (except that we don't by Post products, so that's out for me. Post is owned by Kraft, which is owned by Phillip Morris, which is evil, so no Post cereals in my diet), but I'm not sure how good it would be for snacking. And Shredded Wheat probably a good example of why there is sweetener in most cereal. It's a little bland (although my mom used to soak it in water, then fry it in butter, and serve with a sunny-side up egg on top--that was pretty yummy, but probably not so healthy with the butter LOL).

nelie
04-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Blue,
Funny you say that. I buy shredded wheat from Trader Joe's (their brand). It doesn't have any sweeteners and DH and I will occassionally snack on it. It has a bit more calories than I like though even though it has no sweeteners. DH goes through massive amounts of those and TJs high fiber Os. We actually never eat cereal to eat it as cereal but we eat it to snack on. I had a small snack this morning of my new cereal and I liked it.